Q2 GB Banner Competition! Deadline 25th March

Rules, announcements, news, and general information.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Q2 GB Banner Competition! Deadline 25th March

Post by Arano »

To keep the board looking fresh, we'd like to change the banner every quarter of the year. Things get boring after a while and it would be nice to be able to cycle through characters that otherwise wouldn't get a look-in!

Q2 starts in April, so for the first banner change we're going to have a little competition for all you artists and manga recolour enthusiasts to design a banner yourself or collaborate together.

If you'd like to design a banner for the board, here's what you have to do!

1. Pick one* of the following themes:
  • Battles that resulted in the character's death - eg Akatora vs Akakabuto, Benizakura vs Mosa, Yukimura vs Shogun etc
  • Characters that are the same breed (eg German Shepherd)
  • Best friends (eg GB and Sasuke, Sirus and Monsoon)
  • Special attacks (battougas [wolves permitted!], ningatou etc)
*You can submit more than one design, but for one theme only.

2. Design your banner at 1,800px wide by 394px tall at 72dpi.
  • If you have photoshop/GIMP, you can download a template here.
  • If you use any other program click here to download a mock greyscale version of the board logo to help you with your banner layout.
  • The logo does not have to be centered, it can go anywhere in the space as long as the size stays the same.
  • You can use images from the Free Image Gallery/scans of your own or draw the characters yourself. If you draw it yourself, you may include your artist signature in the corner, but otherwise please design the banner free of any text. Winning banners will be archived in a topic with full credits and links to your art gallery should you require it.
If your banner design is the winner, we will ask you to provide a version without the mock logo included as the real logo will be colour-matched to your design. So don't merge your layers!.

3. Submit your banner design by uploading it to a hosting site like imgur and posting it in a reply in this topic, or in the Art & Graphics forum in the Fan Board for everyone to see!
Make sure you save as a high res JPEG or a PNG.
Submission deadline is the 25th March. As long as we get more than 2 submissions, a poll will be created so the board can vote on their favourite design during the last week of the month. The winning banner will be used on Ginga Board from April until the end of June.

If you have any questions or something isn't clear, please ask!
NocturnalBeetle

Re: Q2 GB Banner Competition! Deadline 25th March

Post by NocturnalBeetle »

What is the minimum ''ugliness'' of the art/recolouring?
Should it at least be as nice as Kasi's?

Anyway, this seems interesting and like a fun thing to do!
I'm looking forward to seeing the entries.

(Ugliness is referred to my own art.)
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

NocturnalBeetle wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:17 pm What is the minimum ''ugliness'' of the art/recolouring?
Should it at least be as nice as Kasi's?

Anyway, this seems interesting and like a fun thing to do!
I'm looking forward to seeing the entries.

(Ugliness is referred to my own art.)
There's no "requirement" in terms of colouring or art level. If it is something that sounds fun and appeals to you to want to have a go, that's all that matters 👍

-

Further encouragement if needed:

You can design it and colour it any way you like, and if what you like is Kasi's colouring style you can find a tutorial in the fan board to do that. If your manga colouring style is flat or cel shaded, do that! If you don't like coloured manga images and want to do something different using only black and white images, do it your way! If you want to draw the characters yourself in your own style and not Gingaboxdog™, that is highly encouraged!

Pick a theme and just have some fun with it, don't be worried about fitting it to a standard you are placing on yourself. I'm looking forward to seeing submissions :)
NocturnalBeetle

Post by NocturnalBeetle »

Thanks a lot for explaining, Arano :)
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

I will join this once I get back home. One question: is it one submission per person or can one post multiple submissions?

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

FDQ wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:08 pm I will join this once I get back home. One question: is it one submission per person or can one post multiple submissions?
The challenge is to pick just one theme, so if you mean multiple submissions for the theme you pick then sure ^^
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

Oh, this sounds fun! I have a week off from work, so I may enter! Can't wait to see everyone's entries!
GingaBoard's Resident Lloyd Fan
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Houndy

Post by Houndy »

PNG format should be required in order to avoid banners that are raped by JPEG.

Edit:
Arano wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 pmIf you have photoshop, you can download a template here.
That template can be used with GIMP as well, it supports PSD format.
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

I have officially picked a theme. The Final Battle. Akakabuto vs Riki & Gin. Will post it when I'm done

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Tikikata wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:15 am Oh, this sounds fun! I have a week off from work, so I may enter! Can't wait to see everyone's entries!
Awesome! ooo what theme do you think you'll go for?
Houndy wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:57 pm PNG format should be required in order to avoid banners that are raped by JPEG.

Edit:
Arano wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 pmIf you have photoshop, you can download a template here.
That template can be used with GIMP as well, it supports PSD format.
People can save it as a PNG or a high res JPEG. I will optimise it for web myself when I add the logo.
I didn't know the template could be used with GIMP as I don't use it lol. But the people who do use it will probably already know that...
FDQ wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:16 pm I have officially picked a theme. The Final Battle. Akakabuto vs Riki & Gin. Will post it when I'm done
YEEEEES
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

Arano wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:55 pm
Tikikata wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:15 am Oh, this sounds fun! I have a week off from work, so I may enter! Can't wait to see everyone's entries!
Awesome! ooo what theme do you think you'll go for?
Good question! I'm thinking about doing either Benizakura's death or the Kai dogs. Hard decision.... xD;
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

Dum-da-da-daaaaa! Done :D Spent last evening and all morning on it. I kinda like the end result. I had trouble with the background, so ended up with one similar to the current one

For full image, right click and open image in new tab

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

FDQ wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:00 am Dum-da-da-daaaaa! Done :D Spent last evening and all morning on it. I kinda like the end result. I had trouble with the background, so ended up with one similar to the current one

So awesome! I love your choice of background too! Well done and thank you for entering :D
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

FDQ wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:00 am Dum-da-da-daaaaa! Done :D Spent last evening and all morning on it. I kinda like the end result. I had trouble with the background, so ended up with one similar to the current one

Freaking GORGEOUS, FDQ! Great work! <3

FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

Glad I logged in to see this! I'll def submit a banner idea! But which theme to choose... :THOT:
avatar drawn by my friend YerLakar on twitter
sorry for my infrequent visits! am working on it
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Sadly I made two banners with two different themes before seeing the other comments Q_Q /corner

ImageImage
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Okami wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:55 pm Sadly I made two banners with two different themes before seeing the other comments Q_Q /corner
Awh dude :'D you could show both if you want then just pick your favourite to enter officially?

I'm not sure how many entries there are going to be, but the reason I would like people to stick to one theme to enter is so that it's fair when it comes to voting on a winning design - having multiple theme entries would be an unfair advantage over those who don't ^^
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Arano wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:06 pm
Okami wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:55 pm Sadly I made two banners with two different themes before seeing the other comments Q_Q /corner
Awh dude :'D you could show both if you want then just pick your favourite to enter officially?

I'm not sure how many entries there are going to be, but the reason I would like people to stick to one theme to enter is so that it's fair when it comes to voting on a winning design - having multiple theme entries would be an unfair advantage over those who don't ^^
That's a good idea ^_^

That makes sense xD Wouldn't want that to happen.

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I decided to give it a go and chose to go with "Best friends". Or in this case, the bestest friends.

Full-size image here

Hope you like it, everyone. Also I will fight anyone who tries to argue that Ron and Buru aren't the truest BFFs in the Gingaverse.

Return to “Main”