This topic will also be linked to in the footer, which will be updated on Wednesday.
Before you go browsing, please read through these notes; the board no longer has a database attached, and some settings had to be changed from its original appearance in order for the spider to convert as much as it could.
- The login boxes are still there, but obviously they do not work - don't bother to try and sign in! It should go without saying but there are no user profiles viewable either so there is absolutely no data of your account on here. The forums viewable are ones that were always viewable to guests, so any sensitive information in the member topics etc has not been copied/does not exist here.
- User-made direct post links are defunct because it's not something the spider could convert. For example, in the Animecon 2012 Archive, the direct links to posts will still link to the old board post locations on Gingasite which aren't viewable. In that instance, you will need to manually find the GG where the posts are. These specific archives and their related GG's will be copied over onto this board properly by the admins anyway and stored, so don't worry about them being lost!
- To view topics, you need to go into the forum itself and browse that way. Clicking on a topic link from the front page in the 'Last Post Info' column will show you a 'Bad Request' page. This is simply because the forum used the database to display this information in this specific instance; the topic is there, but you need to go inside the forum to click on the real link to the topic.
- You will notice that the number of topics viewable has dramatically increased, and - here's the painful bit - the number of replies viewable per page had to be changed to I think around 800. As a result, you'll find that big topics are viewable as an almost infinity scroll on one page. This was to solve a very specific problem which I will do my best to describe:
- The spider could only grab what it can see, and the way the board displayed multiple forum pages and reply pages was not conducive to the way it worked. A live example is the Spoiler Thread in the GDW:Orion Forum - you can see that the page count is up to 5, however the way the board displays it, it links to the first 3 pages, then the current 5th page. Because the spider could not see the link to the 4th page, it could not copy it, so that page of content has unfortunately been lost. To view pages 1, 2, 3 and 5, you have to navigate to them via the links in the board overview (here). Links to the pages while you're browsing within the topic do not work and will spit out a mapped list of reply data. Really annoying, but this is down to how the board displayed links and not the spiders fault. He did his best! This is why the board's limits per page were really pushed so that we could capture as much content as possible.
- If there is a function that doesn't work/you found a little bug outside what I've outlined here, feel free to mention it if it might effect other people browsing. But please understand it cannot be altered/be fixed - this is a final version. It is the 3rd+ iteration after applying fixes and we could do not more.
Have fun viewing old topics, combined years of cringe, and if there are topics on there that don't exist on this forum yet, have fun re-making them and copying over any important information you think is really worth saving in the community boards... just don't go crazy
Admins behind the scenes had already made a start copying important things from the Main and GG forums, we have all that covered in an "official" capacity (*waves to admins* I'll be pouncing on you guys at a later date to pick up where we left off).
As a reminder, this old board will only be kept for 1 year.
I will be buying the developer a beer next time I see him, he put in a huge amount of work to get this done!