Ye Olde Board has arrived!

Rules, announcements, news, and general information.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Ye Olde Board has arrived!

Post by Arano » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:59 pm

At long last!

http://old.gingaboard.com/

This topic will also be linked to in the footer, which will be updated on Wednesday.

Before you go browsing, please read through these notes; the board no longer has a database attached, and some settings had to be changed from its original appearance in order for the spider to convert as much as it could.
  1. The login boxes are still there, but obviously they do not work - don't bother to try and sign in! It should go without saying but there are no user profiles viewable either so there is absolutely no data of your account on here. The forums viewable are ones that were always viewable to guests, so any sensitive information in the member topics etc has not been copied/does not exist here.
  2. User-made direct post links are defunct because it's not something the spider could convert. For example, in the Animecon 2012 Archive, the direct links to posts will still link to the old board post locations on Gingasite which aren't viewable. In that instance, you will need to manually find the GG where the posts are. These specific archives and their related GG's will be copied over onto this board properly by the admins anyway and stored, so don't worry about them being lost!
  3. To view topics, you need to go into the forum itself and browse that way. Clicking on a topic link from the front page in the 'Last Post Info' column will show you a 'Bad Request' page. This is simply because the forum used the database to display this information in this specific instance; the topic is there, but you need to go inside the forum to click on the real link to the topic.
  4. You will notice that the number of topics viewable has dramatically increased, and - here's the painful bit - the number of replies viewable per page had to be changed to I think around 800. As a result, you'll find that big topics are viewable as an almost infinity scroll on one page. This was to solve a very specific problem which I will do my best to describe:
    • The spider could only grab what it can see, and the way the board displayed multiple forum pages and reply pages was not conducive to the way it worked. A live example is the Spoiler Thread in the GDW:Orion Forum - you can see that the page count is up to 5, however the way the board displays it, it links to the first 3 pages, then the current 5th page. Because the spider could not see the link to the 4th page, it could not copy it, so that page of content has unfortunately been lost. To view pages 1, 2, 3 and 5, you have to navigate to them via the links in the board overview (here). Links to the pages while you're browsing within the topic do not work and will spit out a mapped list of reply data. Really annoying, but this is down to how the board displayed links and not the spiders fault. He did his best! This is why the board's limits per page were really pushed so that we could capture as much content as possible.
    • If there is a function that doesn't work/you found a little bug outside what I've outlined here, feel free to mention it if it might effect other people browsing. But please understand it cannot be altered/be fixed - this is a final version. It is the 3rd+ iteration after applying fixes and we could do not more.
    That's about it for the bugs!

Have fun viewing old topics, combined years of cringe, and if there are topics on there that don't exist on this forum yet, have fun re-making them and copying over any important information you think is really worth saving in the community boards... just don't go crazy :derpgin:
    Admins behind the scenes had already made a start copying important things from the Main and GG forums, we have all that covered in an "official" capacity (*waves to admins* I'll be pouncing on you guys at a later date to pick up where we left off).

As a reminder, this old board will only be kept for 1 year.

I will be buying the developer a beer next time I see him, he put in a huge amount of work to get this done!

Tora
Legend
Legend

Re: Ye Olde Board has arrived!

Post by Tora » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:07 pm

YAY!!! So sweet to seeing the old board again. ^^
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera and Nokorde, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Kaiken
Potential
Potential

Post by Kaiken » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Horaay!
:FLY:

Favorite characters:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :yamato: :madara: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :hakuro: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :smith: :jerome: :gdwjohn: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama:
YAMATO4EVER

Rusty
Legend
Legend

Post by Rusty » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Oh man already so nostalgic!

Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:20 pm

I feel so nostalgic. I know I wasn't around for the start of the board, but I feel like I've been a GB member since forever. It's so cool to see this again! Thanks for archiving the old forum; it's definitely a cool chunk of GB history!

:belmond: :gama: :gdwkurotora: :lloyd: :george: :ken: :unsai: :masamune: :hyakkiga: :suiga:

My Ginga Characters
Momo (GDW) | Hakkou (GNG) | Gracia (GNG) | Mamushi (KnSG)

Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:29 pm

So nostalgic :)
RIP Charlie. A happy-go-lucky sprocker spaniel with a heart of gold. 2007 - May 2016
RIP Jack. Indeed a Springer to the very end. Good luck, buddy. We'll miss you. 2006 - November 2016
Banner by Tikikata :D

Houndy

Post by Houndy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:25 pm

Arano wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:59 pm
A live example is the Spoiler Thread in the GDW:Orion Forum - you can see that the page count is up to 5, however the way the board displays it, it links to the first 3 pages, then the current 5th page. Because the spider could not see the link to the 4th page, it could not copy it, so that page of content has unfortunately been lost.
Actually the posts that should be on the 4th page are still there, you can start reading them here: http://old.gingaboard.com/index3868-7.h ... start=3000
Yes, you need to read them one by one and there are 10 pages of them (100 posts per page).

If you see �'s, you need to set character encoding to Western instead of Unicode (In Firefox, go to Show -> Character encoding) because the old board uses outdated ISO-8859-1 encoding instead of UTF-8. Looks like the spider (HTTrack) tried to switch the encoding but it failed, I found this from the source code:

Code: Select all

<!-- Added by HTTrack --><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" /><!-- /Added by HTTrack -->
<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:22 pm

Link now in footer!
Image Image

My Ginga Collection | DeviantArt | Instagram
Obis Wanted! Paying $1-$2 each. GDW 1-4, 7, 8, 31

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Houndy wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:25 pm
Arano wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:59 pm
A live example is the Spoiler Thread in the GDW:Orion Forum - you can see that the page count is up to 5, however the way the board displays it, it links to the first 3 pages, then the current 5th page. Because the spider could not see the link to the 4th page, it could not copy it, so that page of content has unfortunately been lost.
Actually the posts that should be on the 4th page are still there, you can start reading them here: http://old.gingaboard.com/index3868-7.h ... start=3000
Yes, you need to read them one by one and there are 10 pages of them (100 posts per page).

If you see �'s, you need to set character encoding to Western instead of Unicode (In Firefox, go to Show -> Character encoding) because the old board uses outdated ISO-8859-1 encoding instead of UTF-8. Looks like the spider (HTTrack) tried to switch the encoding but it failed, I found this from the source code:

Code: Select all

<!-- Added by HTTrack --><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" /><!-- /Added by HTTrack -->
<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
I was not aware that this time around it actually got the posts! Albiet one by one. A previous version just listed them and the links went nowhere/sent back a bad request so I never bothered to check.

Not that I think anyone will bother searching through 1,000 posts one by one :P4: I'll amend the notes.

As for the encoding I think the fact it couldn't convert it just adds to the nostalgia haha

Platina
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Platina » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:51 pm

I wish we could click on our own usernames and see our old posts there (for shits and giggles), but I think you mentioned that in #4, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. :OUT:
Banner by me.

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Platina wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:51 pm
I wish we could click on our own usernames and see our old posts there (for shits and giggles), but I think you mentioned that in #4, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. :OUT:
A database would have to be there for it to aggregate your posts, so even if we did convert profiles to static pages this function would never have worked ;D

18Gingasoldier
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 18Gingasoldier » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:39 pm

I was browsing through the old forum, and started to wonder, how was Ginga Board created (as in who came up with the idea for it)? I joined in 2012, but there was apparently an older forum that was the "original" GB.

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:03 pm

18Gingasoldier wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:39 pm
I was browsing through the old forum, and started to wonder, how was Ginga Board created (as in who came up with the idea for it)? I joined in 2012, but there was apparently an older forum that was the "original" GB.
I wasn't there at the very beginning, but I think GB was originally created innnn 2007? Or was it 08... I can't remember if it was this year or last year when it had its 10th Anniversary. It was created by Yougurt (gingasite owner) Flann and zj, and there were other staff that aren't around anymore.

It had to be re-created for the pretty much the same reason this board was created I think, zj will probably remember better than me; outdated software vs PHP version going obsolete.

Houndy

Post by Houndy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:00 am

Arano wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:03 pm
18Gingasoldier wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:39 pm
I wasn't there at the very beginning, but I think GB was originally created innnn 2007? Or was it 08... I can't remember if it was this year or last year when it had its 10th Anniversary.
GB was originally created in 2006.

Kasi
Admin
Admin

Post by Kasi » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:18 am

I remember I joined the old old forum at the end of 2006 I think (pretty sure you were there Arano way before me too). I assume it must have been created early in the year 2006?
Gingasite.net wrote: Then, in April 2006, GingaSite.dk changed name to GingaSite.NET.
The goal was now to improve the site even more, go international and conquere Europe and the world.

With nearly 20.000 visitors a month, GingaSite.NET was on it's way to become one of the largest websites concerning the work of Yoshihiro Takahashi.
April 2006 I guess?
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW: Volume 17 now available!
NEW: Volume 18 now available!

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Lmao. I officially have no long term memory or concept of time.

Friidu

Post by Friidu » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:50 pm

Thank you! It's so good to get old board back as read-only.

Return to “Main”