List of GNG animation directors

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Digsu
Legend
Legend

List of GNG animation directors

Post by Digsu »

Like with the animation directors of GDW, I'm not 100% sure about the kanji readings of some of the names.

Jouji Yanase (柳瀬譲二): episodes 1, 5, 15, and 21

Masaharu Endou (遠藤政治): episode 2

Tatsuhiro Nagaki (永木龍博): episodes 3, 7, 11, and 19

Nobuyoshi Sasakado (佐々門信芳): episodes 4, 13, and 18

??? Endou (遠藤晴): episodes 6 and 14
I have absolutely no idea what this person's given name is, since trying to google 遠藤晴 just results in a torrent of search results about Haru Endou, a (presumably) unrelated Japanese voice actress.

Norio Hasegawa (長谷川憲生): episodes 8, 12, and 17

Tetsurou Aoki (青木哲朗): episodes 9, 16, and 20

Isao Kaneko (金子勲): episode 10

AlphaSpice

Re: List of GNG animation directors

Post by AlphaSpice »

To be honest, I didn't even know there were multiple animators! This is actually really cool and explains a thing or two ;w;
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

They're all pretty good at drawing in sync! Except.. Endou, who made doppy Gin :derpgin:

ImageImage
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Glad to see this topic back on the new board! Thanks for sharing such interesting info Digsu!
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Banners by me and Sandatora!
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Yay, it's back!! So glad to see this, love it!
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

Very interesting indeed. I did know there were multiple animators, but I didn't know they were divided into episode creation like this. I thought they were more all around.

On a side note, I do prefer Jouji Yanase and Tetsurou Aoki's animations over the others. Not really sure why. They look better IMO

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

FDQ wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:56 pm Very interesting indeed. I did know there were multiple animators, but I didn't know they were divided into episode creation like this. I thought they were more all around.
I'll be perfectly honest, I don't really know the details of how it works, either. iirc I just happened to see a Tumblr post showcasing the different styles different animation directors had in Digimon episodes and it gave me the idea of looking into Ginga's animation directors.

I actually like Endou's style a lot. I realize it doesn't look like the general Ginga style, but I like how it looks relatively realistic. Even if it did give us Derp Gin :surprisegin:

Personally, my least favorite is probably Sasakado's style. The skinny necks and blocky heads just look like he was trying to apply human drawing techniques to dogs, with predictable results. At least his style spawned the magnificent beast that is Raptor Gin.

YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

FDQ wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:56 pm Very interesting indeed. I did know there were multiple animators, but I didn't know they were divided into episode creation like this. I thought they were more all around.
It should be pretty obvious as the style can change quite drastically from episode to episode. For example, if you watch the ending of episode 6 and jump to the beginning of episode 7, Gin looks almost like a different character because of the style change (I grew up with the cut version that had no breaks between the episodes, so the style change is really noticeable).

As you can see here, animation director is the person who is responsible for the style in each episode. They often are responsible for most of the key animation, so the way they draw and animate is very apparent in the episodes they animate.
A good example for this is a famous animator from the Pokémon anime, Masaaki Iwane. You can very quickly tell if the episode is animated by him because he draws all the key animation mostly himself (which animation directors don't usually do because of how much work that is) and it really shows - he has a reputation among the fanbase as "that good animator".
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

Major props to Yanase-san and Aoki-san. My favorites through the whole series. <3
GingaBoard's Resident Lloyd Fan
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Bolty
Potential
Potential

Post by Bolty »

Yanese and Aoki are just perfect

:akatora: :ben: :benizakura: :gb: :gin: :kurotora: :jerome: :gdwjohn: :riki: :tesshin: :toube:
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

Tetsurou Aoki was my favourite. Episode 20 looked the best.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

About that director of episode 6 and 14, Endou-san, I found something else they've been animation directors of:
https://www7.atwiki.jp/anime_wiki/pages/11986.html

I try to look more into this what their given name can be XD
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

My faves are Hasegawa and Kaneko, and least faves are Aoki and Endou
avatar drawn by my friend YerLakar on twitter
sorry for my infrequent visits! am working on it
AkaiTsuki

Post by AkaiTsuki »

Considering the studio being Toei and the era being 80s, animation directors rotating around different projects kinda made sense back then, not as much in modern days unless budget/contract issues arose.

Yanase and Hasegawa animated episodes are my own favorites, but every single episode overall do have that little something that makes it memorable for people, even the derp gin episode :derpgin:

"We must remember what truly matters."

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”