Manga Planet English GNG Discussion and FAQ

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Manga Planet English GNG Discussion and FAQ

Post by Arano »

This is the discussion topic for the digitally published English version of GNG. Before contributing to discussion please read through the FAQ's below :)

Where to read it at Manga Planet: https://read.mangaplanet.com/comic/5f22454553b78
First chapter was released on the 6th August 2020 (this chapter is free).
New chapters are released every Thursday at approx. 9am JST

Volume 1 completed 08/20
Volume 2 completed 09/20
Volume 3 completed 10/20

FAQ
How much is a Manga Planet subscription?
In USD:
Monthly subscription: $6.99
3-Month subscription: $17.99 (approx. $5.99 per month)
6-Month subscription: $29.99 (approx. $4.99 per month)
Their basic account is free.

Can I share my account with fans who can’t afford it?
No, it is against their terms of service.

You can read more about Manga Planet's account and subscription service here:
https://support.mangaplanet.com/faq/
https://support.mangaplanet.com/guide/

Can we post images of the new pages on the board?
No.

What am I allowed to post?
You are allowed to post single cropped panels if you are wanting to show something interesting you have noticed. For example, pointing out the way a name has been translated, the choice of wording in comparison to the Finnish or Japanese wording etc.
Example:

Please note you are not allowed to post cropped panels from the fan translation whatsoever, though you may cite fan translation if relevant to your discussion.

But what about the fan translation of GNG that’s been around for years...?
Without the fan translations we would not have such an active community to speak of, and by extension Manga Planet would not have the audience it does now if the fan translations never existed to bring English readers into the fandom. We thank you for your service!

Now it has been licensed after years of relying on dedicated translation teams, the English fan translation of GNG is illegal and must be phased out of the community in order to protect the licensing.

Therefore, public sharing of download locations of said translation are completely banned from Ginga Board.

What can I do in order to help the official translation?
You can subscribe to manga planet to read it! Many of us buy and import current Ginga manga from Japan, or purchase the Finnish manga and licensed products from Urumi. But for those who don’t - or perhaps can’t - subscribing to manga planet to read the new GNG is the most direct thing you can do to support Yoshihiro Takahashi's manga.

If you can't subscribe right now, then that's okay! There may be new Ginga Board members in the coming months who are new to Ginga thanks to this translation, or old fans who want to rediscover the series. Participating in discussions here and across the Silver Fang Network like usual is absolutely valid support :)
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Manga Planet English GNG Discussion and FAQ

Post by Spirit Tree »

This will be exciting! I’m looking forward to it! :EXCITE:

Hey how about supporting Manga Planet into having an official English license for GDR, GDW, and beyond?! Because who doesn’t love to see that?! :sasukehearts:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Spirit Tree wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:45 pm This will be exciting! I’m looking forward to it! :EXCITE:

Hey how about supporting Manga Planet into having an official English license for GDR, GDW, and beyond?! Because who doesn’t love to see that?! :sasukehearts:

They can't promise anything :)
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

But we can try our best by reading the sh*t out of GNG so they can see there are readers!

Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

Sidenote: When GNG is fully translated, you might want to consider sending them some recommendations what to translate next. When doing this, please keep in mind that only Shin Gaiden's are from same publisher (Riki, WEED, Orion etc. are not). So due to this, Shin Gaiden's are likely easier for them to get. They are also very short, so there is no big risk translating them.

And wouldn't it be great, if they tried some other series, like Shiroi Senshi Yamato.
Densetsu No Kage
Legend
Legend

Post by Densetsu No Kage »

Wow, this is a very unexpected turn of events! It's honestly a little shocking that it's happening. Hopefully it's better than the Apple store's distribution. I have a feeling it will stay close to the original and not censor much but then again there's not a rating listed with the title, so we'll have to wait and see. The fact that you have to pay a subscription fee may dissuade some folks from giving it a shot, heck I'm kind of in that camp: I read all my manga by buying it at book stores. For Ginga I'm willing to give it a shot though. I'll try the one month plan.

Such a boat-load of potential legal work in the future if more of Yoshihiro's series get picked up. Here's hoping for physical releases in the future! :bon1:

P.S. A big shout out to Arano for alerting us to this and the fan translators who started way back when and are still with us today. We wouldn't be where we are without y'all.
Member of the Ginga community since 2008
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Uru wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:10 pm And wouldn't it be great, if they tried some other series, like Shiroi Senshi Yamato.
An official English Yamato would be interesting! Though I wonder how likely it is considering it's focus is on dog fighting and might prove too controversial (even if the fights are very "fantastical").
Densetsu No Kage wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:42 am Hopefully it's better than the Apple store's distribution.
The fact that you have to pay a subscription fee may dissuade some folks from giving it a shot, heck I'm kind of in that camp: I read all my manga by buying it at book stores. For Ginga I'm willing to give it a shot though. I'll try the one month plan.
Apple store translation? For GNG??

Also Manga Planet is a lot cheaper than reading your manga physical! If someone could read GNG in a month (definitely doable), then once its all out someone only needs to pay the one month $6.99 fee as opposed to buying all the physical copies which would probably be more than that per volume.

Granted, I do like the satisfaction of owning a physical copy, but we can only cross our fingers for now that we might someday see the official English print for GNG.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Uru wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:10 pm Sidenote: When GNG is fully translated, you might want to consider sending them some recommendations what to translate next. When doing this, please keep in mind that only Shin Gaiden's are from same publisher (Riki, WEED, Orion etc. are not). So due to this, Shin Gaiden's are likely easier for them to get. They are also very short, so there is no big risk translating them.

And wouldn't it be great, if they tried some other series, like Shiroi Senshi Yamato.
Shin Gaiden's would be nice!

Shiroi Senshi Yamato would be amazing... but is that a bit high risk as well due to length and subject? Has it ever been on the cards for Finnish translation?

Densetsu No Kage wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:42 am P.S. A big shout out to Arano for alerting us to this and the fan translators who started way back when and are still with us today. We wouldn't be where we are without y'all.
Full credit to Wolpard on that one as the community-alerter!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

So basically
Jokes aside, I do wonder if Manga Planet's subscription-based model makes it less risky for them to translate more obscure series like Ginga? I mean, they don't have to worry about sales numbers for individual series as much; they're making the same amount of money regardless of what people are actually reading using their subscriptions. I assume they're keeping track of what people are and aren't reading somehow, but it's probably still much less of a gamble than producing manga translations in a more traditional way.

Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

I would love a Yamato one!

It’ll be interesting to see if they change much in the GNG translation for the English audience, we might be able to guess whether they’d tackle Yamato based on that?
avatar drawn by my friend YerLakar on twitter
sorry for my infrequent visits! am working on it
Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

Wolpard wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:36 am
Densetsu No Kage wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:42 am Hopefully it's better than the Apple store's distribution.
Apple store translation? For GNG??
It was almost 10 years ago and it was horrible. The translation was done my machine and if you think Google Translate is bad nowdays, it made no sense 10 years ago. You had to read the manga one panel at the time and all panels were same size. There was no way to see full pages so the manga was totally ruined.

In Finland, the problem with Yamato is the lenght of the series. Translation costs etc are notable thing, but also Finnish mangas are sold at regular supermarkets and they have very limited sized selves for comics. That means that if Yamato were translated, it would take a spot from many other books. Also, the mangas are usually sold in all of the stores in Finland, so if the series wouldn't do well, the publisher couldn't change the print size.
+ You can not publish anything too violent/sexual as anyone can check through mangas.

So for manga planet, the risk would be mostly the translation costs.

I bet the MangaPlanet has a system, where they can see how many people are reading this & that series and the time when they do so (when the series started, after it was fully published, after it was advertised etc). :tfw_bella1:
Densetsu No Kage
Legend
Legend

Post by Densetsu No Kage »

Densetsu No Kage wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:42 am P.S. A big shout out to Arano for alerting us to this and the fan translators who started way back when and are still with us today. We wouldn't be where we are without y'all.
Full credit to Wolpard on that one as the community-alerter!
Ah my apologies! Thanks Wolpard
Member of the Ginga community since 2008
Tsukitora
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Tsukitora »

Guys, the first chapter is now available to read for free!! :EXCITE:
Call me Cammi!
:mukonga: :fuuga: :mangariki: :gdwcross: :gdwakatora: :gdwkurotora: :gin: :lenny: :blue:

Avatar credit to the amazing Kasi!
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Already read it through! Made my morning ^_^
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I read the first chapter! It’s really good! :EXCITE:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Judging by the first chapter, the translation seems to be pretty good quality! It's definitely going to take some time getting used to "bear hound" rather than the fandom-preferred "bearhound", though. Curse you and your ambiguous word compounding rules, English.

Also I admit that Riki's and Fuji's completely deadpan "Woof." got a chuckle out of me.

Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

So exciting!!! A little shocked they aren't adding any translation notes when the names mean something important. Eg Gin being named because he is silver, and how they explained Akakabuto got his name because he has red fur going along his back, but they don't mention what Akakabuto means in a note! Someone who is new to Ginga and isn't familiar with Japanese wouldn't know their significance. XD
Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

It's looking good indeed!
The only thing I find a little weird is the title? Idk I feel it should be Shooting Star Gin, or Gin the Shooting Star?
I wonder why the copyright is 2016 for the Japanese edition. Guess it's the year the ebooks were released, which would confirm they were used as 'printing' material as someone had assumed.
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

The chapter is so awesome!! Can't wait to see more!
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Flanoir wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:01 am I wonder why the copyright is 2016 for the Japanese edition. Guess it's the year the ebooks were released, which would confirm they were used as 'printing' material as someone had assumed.
That seems to be it. Manga Planet credits Thirdline as the publisher instead of Shogakukan/Shueisha, and Thirdline seems to have published a digital version of GNG in 2016.

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”