Musical Heroes

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Bluey_Madison
Comrade
Comrade

Musical Heroes

Post by Bluey_Madison »

Yeah, that's the title - Ginga Nagareboshi Gin - Musical Heroes.

So, I found this on YouTube, recommended to me after I saw the GDW stage play. And right away, things were very, very different. A lot of scenes from the original were cut, presumably for time, which makes it feel like it's almost a different story entirely. It's all in Japanese with no subtitles, so I'm not sure what's being said, so there might be some things spoken that give more context than is shown.

That being said, the play opens up with a ton of kids singing a song, which made me first think that it was a middle-school play. I'm questioning that now that there are more adult actors. I haven't recognized any songs so far, which made me question whether it really was Ginga or not, until Akakabuto showed up as a shadow-monster and I started to hear familiar names mentioned by the characters.

Reaching five minutes in, so far - Riki visits Gin and his siblings as puppies, Riki replaces Shiro for when Goehi's ear is taken off, Daisuke never gets a formal introduction and the play just cuts to him playing with Gin and two other puppies. Speaking of which, those puppies follow Gin to watch Riki fight Akakabuto, which I thought was a vastly different take than any other adaptation. One of the biggest issues the show seems to have is that no characters are actually introduced, the play just seems to assume that you know who these guys are and what they're about. Unless the person recording/uploading decided to cut those parts; it seems like it was recorded by an audience member, which is why at the three minute mark, the camera unfocused for a little bit. It refocuses within the next minute.

Costume design-wise, it's harder to tell that the dog characters here are dogs; all of them are on their hands and knees, but they just seem to look like...people on all fours. There's also a lot of humans barking, like what they did in the GDW anime, which makes it kinda funny to listen to.

I'll link it here, and probably come back and update this when I've finished watching the rest. Probably going to download it too, just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOpgfnK1W94
man-faced dog
right dog is made by CantaloupeFish, left dog is unknown publisher magazine
:rocket: :jet: :missile: :luke:
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Re: Musical Heroes

Post by Wolpard »

Ohhh Ill have to take a look at this later!

I do think its nice that they use kids for the puppies
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Bluey_Madison wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:27 pm Reaching five minutes in, so far - Riki visits Gin and his siblings as puppies, Riki replaces Shiro for when Goehi's ear is taken off, Daisuke never gets a formal introduction and the play just cuts to him playing with Gin and two other puppies. Speaking of which, those puppies follow Gin to watch Riki fight Akakabuto, which I thought was a vastly different take than any other adaptation. One of the biggest issues the show seems to have is that no characters are actually introduced, the play just seems to assume that you know who these guys are and what they're about. Unless the person recording/uploading decided to cut those parts; it seems like it was recorded by an audience member, which is why at the three minute mark, the camera unfocused for a little bit. It refocuses within the next minute.
Whoaaaa, I like that Riki gets to meet Gin and the other pups and they got to watch Riki fight together. Im a bit iffy about the idea of Shiro being scrapped but the series never talk about him anyways.

ImageImage
Bluey_Madison
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Bluey_Madison »

Dragon wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:57 am
Bluey_Madison wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:27 pm Reaching five minutes in, so far - Riki visits Gin and his siblings as puppies, Riki replaces Shiro for when Goehi's ear is taken off, Daisuke never gets a formal introduction and the play just cuts to him playing with Gin and two other puppies. Speaking of which, those puppies follow Gin to watch Riki fight Akakabuto, which I thought was a vastly different take than any other adaptation. One of the biggest issues the show seems to have is that no characters are actually introduced, the play just seems to assume that you know who these guys are and what they're about. Unless the person recording/uploading decided to cut those parts; it seems like it was recorded by an audience member, which is why at the three minute mark, the camera unfocused for a little bit. It refocuses within the next minute.
Whoaaaa, I like that Riki gets to meet Gin and the other pups and they got to watch Riki fight together. Im a bit iffy about the idea of Shiro being scrapped but the series never talk about him anyways.

That was one of the things I liked about it. Gin's siblings never really had any distinct role, other than to prove how strong Gin was by comparison. And with him meeting his father in the beginning, though the focus was on Gohei and the village leader (I think that was him), it provides a little more of a bond between the siblings and their dad. When Gohei and Riki run off suddenly to fight Akakabuto, Gin followed him to the first fight with Akakabuto, so it establishes just how similar father and son are.

With Shiro, I was surprised that he was edited out, but given how much would need to be included in the show, there would have to be some characters cut, and Shiro would be the least consequential, I think. However, this is actually the first stage adaptation that I've seen that includes the first part of the story where the dogs don't talk. As far as I've seen it, Hopeanuoli Musikaali and the Japanese stage adaptation tell the audience what happens when Gin was a puppy through a brief catch-up from the MC/similar role (it was Wilson in Hopeanuoli, and I believe it was Gohei in the Japanese musical).

I'm also not sure who wrote the musical, when it was first performed, or any of the technical details, so I'm going to have to look into that.
man-faced dog
Nara
Potential
Potential

Post by Nara »

It sounds like Gin's sibling is called Aka and Akakabuto kills him, I didn't catch if the other sibling also had a name. Right before Aka's death Riki already talks about Ouu's soldiers and Ben to puppy-Gin, so I guess this version doesn't have Riki's memory loss?
Bluey_Madison
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Bluey_Madison »

Nara wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:07 pm It sounds like Gin's sibling is called Aka and Akakabuto kills him, I didn't catch if the other sibling also had a name. Right before Aka's death Riki already talks about Ouu's soldiers and Ben to puppy-Gin, so I guess this version doesn't have Riki's memory loss?
It could possibly be. I don't speak Japanese, so I can't check, but I don't doubt it. It doesn't really change the plot as a whole, just the sub-plot of Riki's amnesia. If he remembers Gin the entire time, nothing much really changes; Sniper is still going to go after him. It might change how the pack treats the son of the Boss, but that's just hypothetically. Also, him already establishing Ohu without being knocked off a cliff isn't that far-fetched either, as we've been shown in GDW and GDW-O that it isn't hard for a pet dog to rally up some other pet dogs to get ready for a fight, and with one of Riki's traits being his charisma, him leaving home/leading a pack of wild dogs in the background doesn't sound too far-fetched either.

From what it sounds like, too, if he can tell puppy-Gin about all these things and have him understand, this must mean that Gin has already been through his bear-hound training, and he and his siblings are about as old as Gin was when he first met the Ohu pack.

It's very interesting to see, and to be honest, I don't mind all the changes. It makes it feel like a neat little AU.
man-faced dog
AlaskanGingaFan

Post by AlaskanGingaFan »

It's very funny to see the dogs as humans XD

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”