Is John inspired by Rin-Tin-Tin?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Do you think John’s character may have been inspired by Rin-Tin-Tin?

Yes
9%
No
23%
Bro, maybe?
68%

Total votes: 22

AkatoraofKai

Is John inspired by Rin-Tin-Tin?

Post by AkatoraofKai »

Do you think John’s character in GNG was influenced by Rin Tin Tin in this scene? Or do you think it was just a coincidence? Let’s talk about it!

Video clips here : https://youtu.be/VH5-FUcxoV0
https://youtu.be/VH5-FUcxoV0
Last edited by AkatoraofKai on Thu May 12, 2022 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Is John inspired by Rin-Tin-Tin?

Post by Spirit Tree »

Whoa, this is really interesting. It really does look similar. To be fair, I'm not quite certain if John was inspired by that scene. Although it is more likely that Yoshi doesn't know about this scene, unless there is some sort of evidence that he did get inspiration for John on that. So I think it could be just a coincidence because it's unknown if Yoshi has ever seen that movie before he debuted the Ginga series, starting with GNG.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

imho those scenes aren't that similar. The only thing they have in common is a clever German shepherd and a trick involving a rope, neither of which are that unique.

That said, Yoshi has stated in the past that he's been inspired by works like the old Lassie TV show and Jack London's books, so it's not impossible for Rin-Tin-Tin to have been a source of inspiration for him as well.

Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

I don't think it was
AkatoraofKai

Post by AkatoraofKai »

Found a new clip that further supports my theory 🤔
https://youtu.be/TnKQ5-NNlgw
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

That clip is very similar. :tfw_aokabuto1:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

I think it's just a coincidence.
Ginga forever! <3
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

While it's technically possible Takahashi could've seen this clip, I believe it's more the trope from which both these scenes stem, the "loyal dog" trope, that causes the similarities. While the ropes might "tie" these two together more (pun intended), I think that's just a coincidence (one master being a cowboy and the other a hunter, it makes sense that they'd have rope). I'm personally interested by the influence Westerns, like "The Law of the Wild," might have had on Ginga. GNG does touch a few troupes found in Westerns: a focus on the frontier/frontiersmen, the centering of physical freedom (that of the dogs from their human masters), questions about what is just/lawful (the dog eaters, Sniper, Oliver, so on), and the clashing of cultures (essentially any pack they encounter). Then again, a lot of this is a natural consequence of having wild dogs are your cast.
Noroi
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Noroi »

The clips look very similar so I could say both but it could've been some sort of "accident" maybe
:noroi:!Noroi!:noroi:
Awesomely drawn banners made by Sanda and Gingastar!!!
Thank you!!! <3
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I heard somewhere John was inspired by a neighbour's dog, so I think that debunks this theory
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Gingaddict wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:25 pm I heard somewhere John was inspired by a neighbour's dog, so I think that debunks this theory
Yoshi's interview in Meteor Gin says that John was name after a neighbor's dog, who was an elderly Akita Inu he'd walk sometimes. So it's unclear how much John was inspired by the irl dog beyond his name.

Although I do find it interesting that Yoshi also used the name John for two other German shepherds, when the irl John wasn't one.

Justarandomfan1
Potential
Potential

Post by Justarandomfan1 »

Maybe.
:bearchibi: :mole: :gdwcross: :bella: :harpoonbear: :teru: :batto: :minnie: :moss: :chibi: :bob: :kevin: :rigel: :lenny: :bon: :unsai: :zion:

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”