GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin.
User avatar
Raki
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:31 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Raki » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:50 pm

Tora wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:48 pm
Flanoir wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:42 pm
Raki wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:37 pm
I probably missed that one but who is Aka?
He is one of Gohei's hunting dogs, killed by Akakabuto. He is often believed to be Riki's son, but I can't remember whether it was confirmed or not.
In Meteor Gin it's said that he's Riki's son but not Fuji's
Is that so? So Riki probably had a "wife" before Fuji? :derpgin:

User avatar
Wolpard
Potential
Potential
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Wolpard » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Riki got around

User avatar
Tora
Legend
Legend
Posts: 13644
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:32 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Tora » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Raki wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:50 pm
Tora wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:48 pm
Flanoir wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:42 pm


He is one of Gohei's hunting dogs, killed by Akakabuto. He is often believed to be Riki's son, but I can't remember whether it was confirmed or not.
In Meteor Gin it's said that he's Riki's son but not Fuji's
Is that so? So Riki probably had a "wife" before Fuji? :derpgin:
Popular with the females. As a famous bear hound. XD
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera and Nokorde, when its my time I come

Avatar made by ArcticLune
Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

User avatar
Raki
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:31 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Raki » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:55 pm

Tora wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:52 pm
Raki wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:50 pm
Tora wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:48 pm


In Meteor Gin it's said that he's Riki's son but not Fuji's
Is that so? So Riki probably had a "wife" before Fuji? :derpgin:
Popular with the females. As a famous bear hound. XD
What if Fuji had puppies with another male because Gin is a silver-fur. Because both Fuji and Riki have brown fur, eh?
Wolpard wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:52 pm
Riki got around
XD

User avatar
Flanoir
Recruit
Recruit
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:12 pm
Location: Corsica, France

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Flanoir » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:56 pm

This does make me wonder how Ginga dogs feel about non romantic matings imposed by humans. Are they like "well, at least it's...fun?" or "let's just make it quick to get out of here". :D

Perhaps Sasuke would have got a girl if he stayed with his human

User avatar
Tora
Legend
Legend
Posts: 13644
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:32 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Tora » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:00 pm

Raki wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:55 pm
Tora wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:52 pm
Raki wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:50 pm


Is that so? So Riki probably had a "wife" before Fuji? :derpgin:
Popular with the females. As a famous bear hound. XD
What if Fuji had puppies with another male because Gin is a silver-fur. Because both Fuji and Riki have brown fur, eh?
And we know Riki's parents are white, or one white and one light red/golden (depending who you ask lol). We don't know about Fuji's parents and such. So who knows. Gin's litter was her first litter after retiering as a bear hound, if I remember correctly
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera and Nokorde, when its my time I come

Avatar made by ArcticLune
Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

User avatar
Kaiken
Friend
Friend
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Planet Earth, hopefully

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Kaiken » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:20 pm

Flanoir wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:56 pm
This does make me wonder how Ginga dogs feel about non romantic matings imposed by humans. Are they like "well, at least it's...fun?" or "let's just make it quick to get out of here". :D

Perhaps Sasuke would have got a girl if he stayed with his human
Maybe they do feel romantic about their mate?
:FLY:
Image Image
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :yamato: :madara: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :smith: :jerome: :gdwjohn: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama:
Image
YAMATO4EVER

User avatar
YamaDora
Potential
Potential
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by YamaDora » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:37 am

Flanoir wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:56 pm
This does make me wonder how Ginga dogs feel about non romantic matings imposed by humans. Are they like "well, at least it's...fun?" or "let's just make it quick to get out of here". :D

Perhaps Sasuke would have got a girl if he stayed with his human
These things were explored a bit in GDW manga at the beginning of the Russian arc.

Before Weed made up his mind about his feelings, Koyuki's owner was going to give her to another person for breeding purposes. The dogs seemed to treat this as an arrangement marriage - there's the whole "dogs getting married" thing that's been mentioned in the manga couple times. It's weird but I guess Takahashi would feel too uncomfortable with something that doesn't reflect human traditions with these human-like dogs because otherwise it'd be too unmoral for him or something like that. But that's just me guessing at this point.

Sasuke actually got a girlfriend (Chako) for a short period of time and even moved to live with her and her owners. However, the shiba was dumped very quickly when Chako found out that Sasuke had lied about his position in Ohu army and she lost her interest in him.

User avatar
Flanoir
Recruit
Recruit
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:12 pm
Location: Corsica, France

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Flanoir » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:51 am

Yes, I remember those parts. But I do wonder about the dogs that did see it through - especially studs - and are more accustomed to human ways than the Ohu dogs.

User avatar
Digsu
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Finland

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Digsu » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:56 am

Doragon wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:37 am
Before Weed made up his mind about his feelings, Koyuki's owner was going to give her to another person for breeding purposes. The dogs seemed to treat this as an arrangement marriage - there's the whole "dogs getting married" thing that's been mentioned in the manga couple times. It's weird but I guess Takahashi would feel too uncomfortable with something that doesn't reflect human traditions with these human-like dogs because otherwise it'd be too unmoral for him or something like that. But that's just me guessing at this point.
I agree that Yoshi most likely doesn't want to delve too deep into the whole "humans forcing dogs to have pups" thing, because when you're dealing with animals with human-like intelligence, it... gets really weird really fast. However, judging by the way Koyuki almost getting "wed" to another pet dog is treated, I'm guessing he's currently trying to treat it less as forced baby-making and more arranged marriage, which, while not necessarily good, is still generally more accepted among humans than essentially forcing two people to have babies and then selling them to other people.

Of course that still leaves Riki and his baby-making shenanigans (and possibly Shiro, since we don't know if he and Yamabuki were romantically involvded or if their litter was purely the humans' idea), but that can probably be chalked up to early-installment weirdness. Especially since the decision to make the dogs talk, and thus think like humans, came after the first chapters of GNG.



Banners and avatar by me

User avatar
Wolpard
Potential
Potential
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Wolpard » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Digsu wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:56 am
Of course that still leaves Riki and his baby-making shenanigans (and possibly Shiro, since we don't know if he and Yamabuki were romantically involvded or if their litter was purely the humans' idea), but that can probably be chalked up to early-installment weirdness. Especially since the decision to make the dogs talk, and thus think like humans, came after the first chapters of GNG.
I definitely agree that this is probably due to the fact the dogs weren't originally going to talk or have human-like intelligence. They were just normal dogs, so studding wasn't weird.

User avatar
Flanoir
Recruit
Recruit
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:12 pm
Location: Corsica, France

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Flanoir » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:48 pm

I think it may still be a thing, it's just not touched upon, some potential hints aside.
Shiro and Yamabuki don't seem to be in a relationship in GDR and knowing Gohei he wouldn't have qualms about selecting matings to get good hunting dogs. Don't know if I remember correctly, but we also have Koyuki and Chako who are roughly the same age, yet are only supposed to be half-sisters. I also suspect Cross may not have had her first litter from a romantic relationship?
Baby-making in itself also may be a big deal, but not as big as in humans. For instance Hiro and Reika had pups only three months into their relationship, which would be way too quick in a human relationship.

User avatar
Raki
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:31 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Raki » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:31 pm

In wolf arcs, dogs learned wolves's attacks. Like Ben Mukonga's attack, Kurotora Hyakkiga's attack. But why did they never use them in GDW???

User avatar
YamaDora
Potential
Potential
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by YamaDora » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Raki wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:31 pm
In wolf arcs, dogs learned wolves's attacks. Like Ben Mukonga's attack, Kurotora Hyakkiga's attack. But why did they never use them in GDW???
Takahashi isn't too fond of the wolf arc, and does not consider it as canon. This is very obvious by him ignoring everything related to the said arc later in the series.
There are technically two mentions/references to wolf arc in GDW: Smith talking about the two big wars Ohu won (Akakabuto and Gaia's army) and Hakuro missing the leg he lost to the wolves in wolf arc. Also Bill and Bemu remaining dead and appearing as spirits probably counts as well.

User avatar
Digsu
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Finland

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Digsu » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:39 pm

YamaDora wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 pm
Raki wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:31 pm
In wolf arcs, dogs learned wolves's attacks. Like Ben Mukonga's attack, Kurotora Hyakkiga's attack. But why did they never use them in GDW???
Takahashi isn't too fond of the wolf arc, and does not consider it as canon. This is very obvious by him ignoring everything related to the said arc later in the series.
There are technically two mentions/references to wolf arc in GDW: Smith talking about the two big wars Ohu won (Akakabuto and Gaia's army) and Hakuro missing the leg he lost to the wolves in wolf arc. Also Bill and Bemu remaining dead and appearing as spirits probably counts as well.
Tesshin also mentions the Ohu army's "two great wars" once.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the arc non-canon since its events clearly happened (Hakurou's missing paw and Bill and Bemu remaining dead being the most glaring examples), though. It's... more like some sort of limbo between canon and non-canon, being ignored waaay too much to be considered proper canon but referenced just barely enough to keep it from being 100% non-canon either.



Banners and avatar by me

User avatar
Raki
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:31 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Raki » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Digsu wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:39 pm
YamaDora wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 pm
Raki wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:31 pm
In wolf arcs, dogs learned wolves's attacks. Like Ben Mukonga's attack, Kurotora Hyakkiga's attack. But why did they never use them in GDW???
Takahashi isn't too fond of the wolf arc, and does not consider it as canon. This is very obvious by him ignoring everything related to the said arc later in the series.
There are technically two mentions/references to wolf arc in GDW: Smith talking about the two big wars Ohu won (Akakabuto and Gaia's army) and Hakuro missing the leg he lost to the wolves in wolf arc. Also Bill and Bemu remaining dead and appearing as spirits probably counts as well.
Tesshin also mentions the Ohu army's "two great wars" once.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the arc non-canon since its events clearly happened (Hakurou's missing paw and Bill and Bemu remaining dead being the most glaring examples), though. It's... more like some sort of limbo between canon and non-canon, being ignored waaay too much to be considered proper canon but referenced just barely enough to keep it from being 100% non-canon either.
Is that so? I see! That could explain why he never used the attacks. That's a bit sad, could be cool if Gin did Retsuga's attack or something on Hougen XD

Post Reply

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”