GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Troll Berserker »

Thanks :) I was wondering how he get to own Benizakura after he left his former owners but looks like it was never explained.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Is Madara male or female?
Madara is obviously girl's name, but she's repeatedly referred to as ''he''. Or is Madara just a guy, who's mother gave him a girl name? :D

EDIT: the name Madara even comes from a flower of white and yellow.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Kaiken wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:30 pm Is Madara male or female?
Madara is obviously girl's name, but she's repeatedly referred to as ''he''. Or is Madara just a guy, who's mother gave him a girl name? :D

Madara is a male. His name is written in katakana, so there is no actual meaning in his name in GNG. If it was written in kanji, there could be a meaning.

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

methpring wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Madara is a male. His name is written in katakana, so there is no actual meaning in his name in GNG. If it was written in kanji, there could be a meaning.
Animal and plant names, especially ones with complex or uncommon kanji, are frequently written in katakana. It's why characters like Kamakiri and Kawasemi have their names written in katakana instead of kanji.

Incidentally I couldn't find "マダラ/madara" being Japanese for a flower, though it does appear to be the Japanese word for Pacific cod.

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Digsu wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:56 pm
methpring wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Animal and plant names, especially ones with complex or uncommon kanji, are frequently written in katakana. It's why characters like Kamakiri and Kawasemi have their names written in katakana instead of kanji.

Incidentally I couldn't find "マダラ/madara" being Japanese for a flower, though it does appear to be the Japanese word for Pacific cod.

I don't know anything about japanese. I only know it's very popular girl name in Russia and some eastern/northern european countries. I don't know if this name exists in English language, however.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

I found something interesting of Rokusuke Idaten (the dog in the manga that tells about the bear going to Akakabuto after Kurojaki's death) when searching about what "idaten" means. From what I gather it can be 2 things:
1. Skanda (swift-footed guardian deity)​ Buddhist term (Skanda)
2. great runner​

Still, "idaten" in his name is written in katakana and not kanji. So what do you guys think of this?
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Tora wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:44 am I found something interesting of Rokusuke Idaten (the dog in the manga that tells about the bear going to Akakabuto after Kurojaki's death) when searching about what "idaten" means. From what I gather it can be 2 things:
1. Skanda (swift-footed guardian deity)​ Buddhist term (Skanda)
2. great runner​

Still, "idaten" in his name is written in katakana and not kanji. So what do you guys think of this?
I assume he's named after the Buddhist deity despite the katakana; the character Idaten (Ida in the English localization) from Okami also had his name written in katakana in Japanese.

I'm going to assume that the word "idaten" was originally used for the deity and was later adopted to refer to a fast runner in reference to that, ie. "He's so fast, he's like Idaten!", so a character bearing the name Idaten automatically means it's a reference to the mythological being and them being fast. But since I have no idea how to check for the etymology of Japanese words I could be horribly wrong.

Marchosias
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Marchosias »

is it bad I thought the koga clan were originally hyenas not dogs
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Marchosias wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:24 pm is it bad I thought the koga clan were originally hyenas not dogs
I also thought that Koga dogs were hyenas when I was little!

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Marchosias
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Marchosias »

methpring wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:54 am
Marchosias wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:24 pm is it bad I thought the koga clan were originally hyenas not dogs
just glad I'm not the only one
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Marchosias wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Well, my grandmother thought they're hyenas. :maya: :kogadog:
Favorites:
Marchosias
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Marchosias »

Kaiken wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:07 pm
Marchosias wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Well, my grandmother thought they're hyenas. :maya: :kogadog:
maybe they are and that's why we haven't seen Tesshin with pups
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

It's said that Zion is related to Orion by being Gin's brother's descendant. We all assume it's either the Hiyan or Giyan (whichever is the white one), but what about Aka? Has it been confirmed it's the Gin's littermate, not half-brother, who, with being good hunting dog, has a greater chance of having descendants?
Favorites:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Kaiken wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:39 pm It's said that Zion is related to Orion by being Gin's brother's descendant. We all assume it's either the Hiyan or Giyan (whichever is the white one), but what about Aka? Has it been confirmed it's the Gin's littermate, not half-brother, who, with being good hunting dog, has a greater chance of having descendants?
Since Shion specifically says his grandfather was Gin's brother, I think it's safe to assume he did mean one of Gin's brothers instead of his half-brothers. We also know practically nothing of what became of Gin's brothers so it's entirely possible they became respected hunting dogs in their own right.

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Digsu wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:42 am
Kaiken wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:39 pm It's said that Zion is related to Orion by being Gin's brother's descendant. We all assume it's either the Hiyan or Giyan (whichever is the white one), but what about Aka? Has it been confirmed it's the Gin's littermate, not half-brother, who, with being good hunting dog, has a greater chance of having descendants?
Since Shion specifically says his grandfather was Gin's brother, I think it's safe to assume he did mean one of Gin's brothers instead of his half-brothers. We also know practically nothing of what became of Gin's brothers so it's entirely possible they became respected hunting dogs in their own right.
Sure, but ginga don't seem to show difference between brothers and half-brothers really. Besides, it's never said that Aka is NOT Fuji's son, right? Yet, there's a 0,01% chance of him actually being Fuji's descendant of her previous litter.
I solemnly believe it's the white Giyan/Hiyan, but it's a fun thought that Aka could be the father really.
Favorites:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Kaiken wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:49 pm
Digsu wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:42 am
Sure, but ginga don't seem to show difference between brothers and half-brothers really. Besides, it's never said that Aka is NOT Fuji's son, right? Yet, there's a 0,01% chance of him actually being Fuji's descendant of her previous litter.
I solemnly believe it's the white Giyan/Hiyan, but it's a fun thought that Aka could be the father really.
According to Meteor Gin and an interview included in the Finnish edition of GNG volume 18, Aka isn't Fuji's son (and both imply Riki may have sired other litters for several different females due to his fame as a hunting dog).

Even if it's a case of brother/half-brother being used interchangeably, I highly doubt Aka would be Shion's grandfather - between him dying so young and him probably being overshadowed by Riki, I find it unlikely that he had any descendants. Some other dog from his litter or from the implied other litters Riki sired would be more plausible.

But that's just my opinion and if someone wants to headcanon Aka being Shion's granddad, then I'm not stopping them.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Is Hyōma the son or adoptive son of Reima? Is it stated anywhere?

----------

I wonder about the translation of the two wolf sides:

狼王国軍団 = Wolf Monarchy Army or Wolf Monarchy Corps or Wolf Kingdom Army or Wolf Kingdom Corps

黒狼帝国軍団 = Black Wolf Empire Army or Black Wolf Empire Corps

Which would be the good English tranlation?

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

Tora wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am I wonder about the translation of the two wolf sides:

狼王国軍団 = Wolf Monarchy Army or Wolf Monarchy Corps or Wolf Kingdom Army or Wolf Kingdom Corps

For 狼王国軍団, "Wolf Kingdom Army" makes more sense (or you could try Army of the Wolf Kingdom)

As for 黒狼帝国軍団, I'd say Black Wolf Empire Army (or Army of the Black Wolf Empire )
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Tora wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am Is Hyōma the son or adoptive son of Reima? Is it stated anywhere?
When Hyouma fights Goldeye, Reima tells Fuuga that he is really not Hyouma's father. So Hyouma is the adoptive son of Reima.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

fantachan wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:16 am
Tora wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am I wonder about the translation of the two wolf sides:

For 狼王国軍団, "Wolf Kingdom Army" makes more sense (or you could try Army of the Wolf Kingdom)

As for 黒狼帝国軍団, I'd say Black Wolf Empire Army (or Army of the Black Wolf Empire )
Wolf Kingdom Army
Black Wolf Empire Army

Think of going with the shorter version, and put "the" in front in the article itself on the GW. Though, making a poll here on GB. ^^

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”