Different 4th Edition manga?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin.
Post Reply
User avatar
Regnant
Technician
Technician
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:17 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Different 4th Edition manga?

Post by Regnant » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm

I found this on YJA https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f254594148
Volumes 2-8 of a release that looks like the 4th edition, but with different fonts

4th Edition: https://gingamerch.com/item/?itemid=74
DVD Re-release: https://gingamerch.com/item/?itemid=77

Does anyone have insight into this? Was it another re-release, or is it maybe the true 4th edition and the one I have listed as the 4th edition is actually the re-release?
Image

Ohu Dogs | My Ginga Collection | Art & Shirts
GDW 1-4, 7, 8, 31 Obis Wanted! Paying $1-$2 each!

User avatar
methpring
Friend
Friend
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:20 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Different 4th Edition manga?

Post by methpring » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:38 pm

^ It is the 3rd release of this edition, from the year 2012.
Image
My Ginga collections:
Team Sirius :sirius:

User avatar
Regnant
Technician
Technician
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:17 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Re: Different 4th Edition manga?

Post by Regnant » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:44 pm

methpring wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:38 pm
^ It is the 3rd release of this edition, from the year 2012.
You are awesome, thank you!!!

Do you know if there are photos anywhere of these covers that looks better than the auction image?
Image

Ohu Dogs | My Ginga Collection | Art & Shirts
GDW 1-4, 7, 8, 31 Obis Wanted! Paying $1-$2 each!

User avatar
methpring
Friend
Friend
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:20 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Different 4th Edition manga?

Post by methpring » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:36 pm

Volumes 7 and 8:
http://wiki.hopeanuoli.com/index.php?ti ... painos.jpg
http://wiki.hopeanuoli.com/index.php?ti ... osvika.jpg

Volumes 1, 3-6:
http://weedpedia.net/gallery.cgi?id=ginga (Scroll down and click the old covers of this edition, they transform into new covers, except volume 2. All have Weedpedia's watermark, though.)
Image
My Ginga collections:
Team Sirius :sirius:

User avatar
Regnant
Technician
Technician
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:17 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Re: Different 4th Edition manga?

Post by Regnant » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:53 pm

methpring wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:36 pm
Volumes 7 and 8:
http://wiki.hopeanuoli.com/index.php?ti ... painos.jpg
http://wiki.hopeanuoli.com/index.php?ti ... osvika.jpg

Volumes 1, 3-6:
http://weedpedia.net/gallery.cgi?id=ginga (Scroll down and click the old covers of this edition, they transform into new covers, except volume 2. All have Weedpedia's watermark, though.)
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Image

Ohu Dogs | My Ginga Collection | Art & Shirts
GDW 1-4, 7, 8, 31 Obis Wanted! Paying $1-$2 each!

User avatar
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin
Posts: 7035
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Different 4th Edition manga?

Post by Arano » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:47 pm

Huh.
The buyout price was only like £3 something which is the price of a coffee so I bought it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

User avatar
Regnant
Technician
Technician
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:17 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Re: Different 4th Edition manga?

Post by Regnant » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Arano wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:47 pm
Huh.
The buyout price was only like £3 something which is the price of a coffee so I bought it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I didn't even think to look at the price. Wow that was cheap! Now all you need is to find volume 1 and you have the full set!

(When you get them I would love if you could maybe write down their ISBNs for me?)
Image

Ohu Dogs | My Ginga Collection | Art & Shirts
GDW 1-4, 7, 8, 31 Obis Wanted! Paying $1-$2 each!

User avatar
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin
Posts: 7035
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Different 4th Edition manga?

Post by Arano » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:28 pm

Regnant wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 pm
Arano wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:47 pm
Huh.
The buyout price was only like £3 something which is the price of a coffee so I bought it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I didn't even think to look at the price. Wow that was cheap! Now all you need is to find volume 1 and you have the full set!

(When you get them I would love if you could maybe write down their ISBNs for me?)
urghhhhhhhh what's the betting I'll NEVER find volume 1 >O< These omnibus sets are my favourite though, and even though they're rare I think this takes the title of the cheapest thing in my collection now haha.

Of course I'll take note of their ISBNs for you ^^

User avatar
Regnant
Technician
Technician
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:17 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Re: Different 4th Edition manga?

Post by Regnant » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Arano wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:28 pm
urghhhhhhhh what's the betting I'll NEVER find volume 1 >O< These omnibus sets are my favourite though, and even though they're rare I think this takes the title of the cheapest thing in my collection now haha.

Of course I'll take note of their ISBNs for you ^^
Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'll try to keep an eye out for volume 1 for you on my daily auction check. I did find the original 4th edition volume 1, but not this reprint https://7net.omni7.jp/detail/1102052674
Image

Ohu Dogs | My Ginga Collection | Art & Shirts
GDW 1-4, 7, 8, 31 Obis Wanted! Paying $1-$2 each!

User avatar
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin
Posts: 7035
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Different 4th Edition manga?

Post by Arano » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:16 pm

Regnant wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:48 pm
Arano wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:28 pm
urghhhhhhhh what's the betting I'll NEVER find volume 1 >O< These omnibus sets are my favourite though, and even though they're rare I think this takes the title of the cheapest thing in my collection now haha.

Of course I'll take note of their ISBNs for you ^^
Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'll try to keep an eye out for volume 1 for you on my daily auction check. I did find the original 4th edition volume 1, but not this reprint https://7net.omni7.jp/detail/1102052674
Oh my god I've been just... so dumb.

... I just checked and I actually have this set already LMAO omg I'm an idiot. So, the set I was ACTUALLY thinking of (but didn't know it), was the set of reprints of the GDW Monkey arc omnibus books that were published around the same sort of time. Because they're pretty much the same style I guess I muddled the two and thought this was a reprint of the reprint... utter fail. Someone pass me a dunce hat.

See this is what happens when you buy things and then don't see them for 5 years, you buy things you've already got :surprisegin:

So if anyone actually wants these books now - CAUSE I SURE DON'T NEED EM LOOOOL - PM me as I could likely get them shipped straight to you? XD

User avatar
Regnant
Technician
Technician
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:17 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Re: Different 4th Edition manga?

Post by Regnant » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 am

Arano wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:16 pm
... I just checked and I actually have this set already LMAO omg I'm an idiot. So, the set I was ACTUALLY thinking of (but didn't know it), was the set of reprints of the GDW Monkey arc omnibus books that were published around the same sort of time. Because they're pretty much the same style I guess I muddled the two and thought this was a reprint of the reprint... utter fail. Someone pass me a dunce hat.
Well I found that monkey arc reprint for you https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2734247345
Image

Ohu Dogs | My Ginga Collection | Art & Shirts
GDW 1-4, 7, 8, 31 Obis Wanted! Paying $1-$2 each!

User avatar
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin
Posts: 7035
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Different 4th Edition manga?

Post by Arano » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 am

Regnant wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 am
Arano wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:16 pm
... I just checked and I actually have this set already LMAO omg I'm an idiot. So, the set I was ACTUALLY thinking of (but didn't know it), was the set of reprints of the GDW Monkey arc omnibus books that were published around the same sort of time. Because they're pretty much the same style I guess I muddled the two and thought this was a reprint of the reprint... utter fail. Someone pass me a dunce hat.
Well I found that monkey arc reprint for you https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2734247345
Pfff thank you <3
I'll get you those ISBN numbers today ;)

Just so this thread isn't a TOTAL disaster, here's some info about the books:

They were a limited run which makes them difficult to find, because they were ever only available in convenience stores in Japan and weren't sold at online retailers. They were for SJR's 10th anniversary.

The books have altered art on the covers from the original set of 1-8 books obviously, however this set has the extra content that was included in the DVD reprint books. So books 1 to 6 have extra pages in the back which has things like studio sheet images of the anime characters. One of the books has an interview in the back too, not sure if that's ever been translated anywhere.

Post Reply

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”