Kurotora crying

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Gingaddict
Friend
Friend

Kurotora crying

Post by Gingaddict » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:16 pm

When I saw Kurotora cry, I see both eyes shedding tears despite the fact one of his eyes is gone. Is this possible? Can someone still cry from both eyes even if something happened to the bad eye? Or this an invention on the manga's part?

Any thoughts?
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!

Shining Sirius
Fighter
Fighter

Re: Kurotora crying

Post by Shining Sirius » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:45 pm

It is indeed possible to cry without an eye, or both of them, since the eye itself doesn't produce the tears - the lacrimal glands in the eyelid do (hence why the scientific term for tears is Lacrimal Fluid). Someone's ability to shed tears might be hampered if those glands, or alternatively the nasolacrimal/tear ducts (which drains excess tears into the nose - this is why a person's nose runs and gets all stuffy when they cry), are damaged or if the eye socket is blocked/sealed off altogether. :tfw_sirius3:

This is coming from someone who couldn't cry out of an eye after my radiotherapy, since the radiation just scraped my tear-producing glands. Oh, and why I also had an uncomfortably dry eye for months afterwards.
:riki: :gin: :john: :ben: :gdwcross: :akatora: :moss: :akame: :benizakura: :terry: :mangahakuro: :mukonga: :thousanddragon: :gaia: :weed: :hook: :jerome: :kaibutsu: :reika: :toube: :saheiji: :gdwokotetsu: :sirius: :monsoon: :bearchibi: :noah: :lonelyron: :bull: :belmond:

Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:41 pm

Now that I think about Kurotora's eye.. is it still in the socket? Like is it intact but just blind and he keeps the eye closed or did he lose the whole eye? I do not like the potential that he has just a mushed up rotting eye behind his scar lol
Image Image

Wolpard
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Wolpard » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:32 pm

Leomonade wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:41 pm
Now that I think about Kurotora's eye.. is it still in the socket? Like is it intact but just blind and he keeps the eye closed or did he lose the whole eye? I do not like the potential that he has just a mushed up rotting eye behind his scar lol
I believe its mentioned in canon that it is in fact missing

KremlinJill
Adviser
Adviser

Post by KremlinJill » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:27 am

His eyeball is gone. The Marten gouged it right out (best view for this is the Kai Brothers story in Gaiden volume 2).
I second Shining S' tear duct explanation too.

kahooton
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kahooton » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:17 pm

While on this topic... to be fair..

Anything is possible
~ :bon: ~
~ :chutora: :raiga: :john: :izou: :gin: :orion: :sniper: :tesshin: :akame: :ben: :gb: :gaia: ~
other favorites
Banner made by me

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:40 pm

kahooton wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:17 pm
While on this topic... to be fair..

Anything is possible
To be fair Batto's eyes, at least in the anime, seem to be intact, as you can see the whites between his eyelids (as opposed to, say, Hiro who has a red wound where his missing eye would be). So presumably his tear ducts are also intact, like Shining Sirius explained.

Also speaking of the anime, they actually addressed this: in the scene where Kurotora is crying over his dead nephews, he's crying out of both eyes in the manga, but only from his good eye in the anime. Apparently the animators thought it looked strange, too.

kahooton
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kahooton » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:21 pm

Digsu wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:40 pm

To be fair Batto's eyes, at least in the anime, seem to be intact, as you can see the whites between his eyelids (as opposed to, say, Hiro who has a red wound where his missing eye would be). So presumably his tear ducts are also intact, like Shining Sirius explained.

Also speaking of the anime, they actually addressed this: in the scene where Kurotora is crying over his dead nephews, he's crying out of both eyes in the manga, but only from his good eye in the anime. Apparently the animators thought it looked strange, too.
huh, I never noticed that! I swear there is a scene where Hiro is crying out of his missing eye but I can't remember
~ :bon: ~
~ :chutora: :raiga: :john: :izou: :gin: :orion: :sniper: :tesshin: :akame: :ben: :gb: :gaia: ~
other favorites
Banner made by me

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:35 pm

kahooton wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:21 pm
Digsu wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:40 pm

huh, I never noticed that! I swear there is a scene where Hiro is crying out of his missing eye but I can't remember
There is, in episode 9.

It's probably worth noting that those two episodes have different animation directors, so I guess how characters with missing eyes cried depended on who was in charge of the episode's animation. :THOT:

Wisp

Post by Wisp » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:46 pm

I've been wondering the same thing, for years! I also think it might be depending on the specific damage to each character.

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”