Thing(s) GDW anime did better than GNG anime

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Thing(s) GDW anime did better than GNG anime

Post by Jinto »

I start this by saying better focus on character development. I felt I had more reasons to like most of the main cast and I think they got enough screen time for me to care about them.
Arctic Ranger
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Thing(s) GDW anime did better than GNG anime

Post by Arctic Ranger »

I'd have to double down on character development. Not just on the main cast, but on someone like the villains too. Seeing their personal experiences and hearing them talk is something that we just didn't get with Akakabuto.

I really like the voice acting too, but this is sort of a double edged sword. I don't for a moment doubt the quality of GNG, but GDW somehow feels... I don't know, different? I do find it energetic in a different way, maybe it's a product of its time or something like that, but I really found it memorable in a different way than GNG.

Ultimately, I'd have to say that GDW manages to be different from GNG and that I adore. I'm sure it would be easy to fall into the trap of leaning too much on GNG when making an anime about Weed's followup, but in spite of that it manages to be its own thing and I'll consider that a success in its own right.
"Exceed the you from yesterday."
-Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Words to truly live by.
canisfamiliariz

Post by canisfamiliariz »

I think some of the emotional moments were done alot better than in GNG since i actually cried at some of them which surprisingly didnt happen when i watched GNG.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

I'm gonna have to say the protagonist. This is not about the anime itself or Weed as a character, but the amount of different viewpoints you get for this specific character keeps the anime fresh in your mind whenever you talk about him. This goes for basically every single character including GNG, but I just feel like, for the protagonists, Weed stands out a lot more here compared to Gin, because from what I've seen, Gin is basically loved or to some extend cared about by most people (including me), but Weed is very split, making for a more interesting character do discuss IMO.

I know that this is not something that the anime itself did better. The varied viewpoints are of course created by each individual viewer, but I still think it makes sense to say this under this topic.
Have a nice day!
kahooton
Comrade
Comrade

Post by kahooton »

Definitely the death scenes and the suspenseful moments. I also really like how we got to see what was going on in Hougen's camp and not just stick by Weed the entire time. I feel like GDW did a better job with their emotional scenes over all. In GNG major dogs would drop dead and they'd be like. "damn... what a shame.. alright keep going" with GDW I really felt the raw emotion behind all those deaths and the characters that mourned them!
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

I think the emotional scenes have been a little more successful because I always find that when I watch anime, I react to them more strongly than in GNG anime. Also, I like that the character designs are made more according to the manga (no blue Cross or the like colorings).
Ginga forever! <3
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Everyone has said the best answers, but I'll add something new: funny moments!

Ginga isnt that good at humor. Though I did find some of GNG's manga humor funny, I didn't care too much for GDW's manga humor. But in the anime, it's the opposite. GNG's scenes of everyone laughing is soooo...awkward... or they talk kinda weird. But GDW's funny scenes felt more natural and actually funny without needing a dog laugh track to tell me when something 'funny' happened

ImageImage
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Phantom Riki »

I agree with Dragon. And I came here to say the same thing.
Some of the most funniest moments I want to mention:
Sasuke screaming when jumping off the cliff
Hougen pooping himself in front of his own army
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

The thing I like best is Weed's constant character development because he doesn't stray from his beliefs the way he does in the manga - the main part being the thing with banishing Jerome, it happens after the attack on Hougen's base rather than before which to me, makes more sense.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”