I'm not quite finished with GDW (both manga or anime) but here's my list so far!
- Kyoshiro: I have a soft spot for the angry types in general, he seems to be pretty independent so far and I like that he doesn't seem to feel like he needs to be BFFsies with everyone ;w;/
- Hougen: Like, sometimes there's just someone that's just so terrible and you want to see them get punched in the face so bad that it actually works. He's got big shoes to fill as the villain from GNG and I think he does so with flying colors.
- Tesshin: I don't know if he's going to be too different in the manga than the anime but I think I really like his motivation and what became of him after the events of GNG so far! I was looking forward to what happened to little Chibi after the end of GNG and I haven't been disappointed so far ;w;
- George: This guy is just. So cool. I've only seen a little of him so far, but I already love his character and I'm excited to see more of him!
- Weed (anime only): Although the pacifistic character approach is different and has potential to be interesting in this harsh world, I just...wish it was handled differently, I guess? I just wish he wasn't always right and that his pacifism gets him into more trouble than it does, perhaps more exploration of how it could put him at odds with his own soldiers, sort of like what happened with Jerome. I find that it also makes his motivations confusing; by the end of every episode, I'm unsure if he's fine with killing Hougen or not. Again, I feel it has the potential to be something cool, but so far the manga has been handling it waaaay better for me and I definitely like him more in the manga. Maybe something changes later on in the anime that I just haven't gotten to see yet? I hope so, I'm just not digging him all that much so far ;w;
- Gin: I find the plot of him being taken as Hougen's prisoner interesting, and the trouble it causes Weed as he becomes stuck between saving his father and risking his friends' lives is certainly a conflict I feel the weight of, but I wish we got to see more of the same little hero from GNG before all of this happened. I find difficulty remembering that this was the same brave little Gin that I just got done watching/reading. Hopefully he doesn't get back into the action too late!
- Sniper: As much as I was totally shocked to see him make a return in the manga (those wheels have got to be tiring to drag around in the snow, omg) I sort of wish he didn't. There was something alluring about the mystery of his and Hyena's whereabouts at the end of GNG and I think it would've been fine to leave it like that. I'm hoping he gets a little more interesting later on!
Might do some updates to this list as I progress along in GDW! ;w;