Music plagiarism in GDW anime

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Doragon
Potential
Potential

Music plagiarism in GDW anime

Post by Doragon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:09 am

I've never seen anyone talking about this thing outside of the Finnish fandom and forums, so I guess I might go ahead and start it here.

Anyone who's familiar with the soundtrack of Ginga Densetsu Weed anime might recognize these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1BJzKy8TbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y1gStVjOtM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiLFHQamzMQ
All of these are from different composers, and they predate GDW anime.

There are like two more examples I can think of (one of them is Target, the opening theme of Digimon Zero Two), but I'm too tired to dig them up right now. If someone knows more of them, feel free to add.

This music plagiarism is probably the biggest reason why I dislike GDW anime. As an artist myself, I am outraged by any kind of art thievery, be it drawing, painting or music. Music specially has a special place in my heart, and it hurts me deeply that GDW anime doesn't have it's own original soundtrack (I'm not sure if that can be said about the whole soundtrack, though).
Last edited by Doragon on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Re: Music plagiarism in GDW anime

Post by Arano » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:13 pm

I remember this coming up a loooooong time ago on the old board. I put forth the argument with regard to Avalon Log In and GDW's Exceed the verge of death, the timings are different and GDW's "version" is more complex and uses more layers of instruments, and the techniques used in both (especially that "galloping" drum/strings) are difficult not to use in any epic battle music haha. This genre of music conforms to a certain structure and I guess it must be hard to not use things present in lots of existing scores.

BUT. Then all the others came out of the woodwork and it couldn't be defended :FLY:

Unfortunately this is rife in Japanese anime and games even. If the anime is popular enough and the music rip-offs garner attention, the animation company will apologise and replace the OST with something upon DVD release. However generally, things are let go because a lot of this music is so conformative and if the production company are large enough they have the money to quash any claims.

This is another example brought up by Kurojaki on the old board. They aren't total rips as in a copy-paste job... but they have suspiciously similar elements you can pick up if you listen carefully, especially the horns even though the timings are different. Hans Zimmer (listen from 1:18)

vs GDW's A Crisis of Life and Death (listen from 0:29)

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm mostly familiar with the tracks "borrowed" from Digimon, being a fan myself. For comparison purposes...

Unnamed GDW track = Panic (Digimon Tamers)
Hougen and Genba (incorrectly referred to as "Hougen and Genshin") = Nante Tsuyoi Teki Nanda! (Digimon 02)
Dash! = Target - Akai Shougeki (Digimon 02) (instrumental version)

I've never understood the decision to use a semi-well known shounen series to plagiarize music from, since you'd think there's a good chance you'll get caught, and I can't imagine getting in legal trouble with the giant that is Toei Animation is particularly pleasant. The only explanation I can think of is that the artists involved were new to the business/a bit dumb/both and had no idea how copyright works.

However, in Studio DEEN's defense, the soundtrack (aside from the opening and ending themes as well as Otoko Michi, Kemono Michi, which were done by Dohatsusen) was outsourced to a band/artist called Y2DOGS. For some reason, finding info about them is really difficult, and most relevant search results just state they did the soundtrack for GDW. Maybe the plagiarism came to light and they quietly disappeared off the face of the planet, who knows.

Banners and avatar by me

Doragon
Potential
Potential

Post by Doragon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Digsu wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:27 pm
However, in Studio DEEN's defense, the soundtrack (aside from the opening and ending themes as well as Otoko Michi, Kemono Michi, which were done by Dohatsusen) was outsourced to a band/artist called Y2DOGS. For some reason, finding info about them is really difficult, and most relevant search results just state they did the soundtrack for GDW. Maybe the plagiarism came to light and they quietly disappeared off the face of the planet, who knows.
I find it particularly intetesting that GDW soundtrack is "made" by a band/artist with a nickname. Now, I don't watch nearly as much anime as some others do, but I'm used to seeing anime soundtracks being composed by composers who go by their real name or a nickname that sounds like a real name. The only exception I've come across with is ACE+ which consists couple composers and finding out their names isn't hard at all.
This Y2DOGS is very interesting because I once tried my best to find any info about them, and all I could find was just them being credited over making GDW soundtrack and nothing else. Maybe they're just something made-up only for this one project and that's it?

Also, I think this is just a coincidence, but I always found it interesting how the beginning of this sounds a lot like a certain track from GDW.

Northwing
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Northwing » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:10 pm

Haha oh man this is sad. I had no idea about this and always thought that the soundtrack was one of the few things the GDW anime actually had going for it.

Bolty
Potential
Potential

Post by Bolty » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:25 pm

I'm shocked. No idea about these plagiarism, in particular about "Exceed the verge of death / Avalon track". Damn this is one of my favourites from the GDW soundtrack. Such a shame :sigh:

:akatora: :ben: :benizakuramanga: :gb: :gin: :kurotora: :jerome: :gdwjohn: :riki: :tesshin: :toube:

Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:08 am

Jeez, i didn't even know this was happening. Now I have even less respect for the GDW anime.
RIP Charlie. A happy-go-lucky sprocker spaniel with a heart of gold. 2007 - May 2016
RIP Jack. Indeed a Springer to the very end. Good luck, buddy. We'll miss you. 2006 - November 2016
Banner by Tikikata :D

Atha
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Atha » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Kyoushirou's theme is basically the Mission Impossible theme, lol.
by Mako

Marchosias
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Marchosias » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:48 pm

That's Studio Deen for you

Birdcrossing

Post by Birdcrossing » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:25 pm

thanks for finding some of the track similarities guys, i had noticed when i first watched gdw that things where familiar but i only knew some.
BIRDCROSSING :chibi:

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”