GDW General Questions Thread

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
YamaDora
Rookie
Rookie

Re: GDW General Questions Thread

Post by YamaDora » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Wolpard wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:43 pm
So the boars and dogs were able to understand/speak each other right? During the scene at the healing spring.

As far as I know this is the only time when two different species didn't speak a different language. So did Yoshi forget for a bit that different animals cant talk to each other? Unless they learn each other's language, which we see later with Bob, Zion, and Chibi.
Not in the manga, at least. Boars had those black speech bubbles that bears also use, and dogs clearly only heard them making just pig noises.

Also, dogs and monkeys could understand each other just fine.

Wolpard
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Wolpard » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:22 pm

YamaDora wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:18 pm
Wolpard wrote:
So the boars and dogs were able to understand/speak each other right? During the scene at the healing spring.

As far as I know this is the only time when two different species didn't speak a different language. So did Yoshi forget for a bit that different animals cant talk to each other? Unless they learn each other's language, which we see later with Bob, Zion, and Chibi.
Not in the manga, at least. Boars had those black speech bubbles that bears also use, and dogs clearly only heard them making just pig noises.

Also, dogs and monkeys could understand each other just fine.
Thats true! I didn't think about the monkeys for some reason. Didn't Shogun have the black speech bubbles though?

YamaDora
Rookie
Rookie

Post by YamaDora » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:30 pm

Wolpard wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:22 pm
Didn't Shogun have the black speech bubbles though?
Yes, and so did have the monster (Kaibutsu). Though in the latter case you could interpret it as that only Jerome understood him (at least somewhat), but there is also at least one point where Yukimura seem to reply to Shogun.

Starstriker-K9

Post by Starstriker-K9 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:11 pm

Wolpard wrote:

That’s what i question too, Wolpard. :THOT:
『男なら まぶしい夢を見ろ』
.・゜・ :KRUMP: ・゜・.
:tesshin: Starstriker-K9
Avatar Credit - @angrysnakes (Tumblr)
”Keep Yourself Alive.” - Queen 1973

Wolpard
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Wolpard » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:54 am

I guess animal language is another thing Yoshi isn't super clear about... except with bears I guess.

Shining Sirius
Friend
Friend

Post by Shining Sirius » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:18 pm

What exactly is going on with the name of the Borzoi Brothers' guardian? When I first started reading the GDW manga scans years ago I remember his name being Sunshiro, but I looked him up on the GingaWiki and it says that his name is actually Saburō. So was 'Sunshiro' just a mistranslation? Like when Koushiro was mistranslated as Koujirou?
:star: Banner Courtesy of Gingastar :star:
:heart: Pan Sirius Pride Month Avatar by Troll Berserker :heart:

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29 pm

Shining Sirius wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:18 pm
What exactly is going on with the name of the Borzoi Brothers' guardian? When I first started reading the GDW manga scans years ago I remember his name being Sunshiro, but I looked him up on the GingaWiki and it says that his name is actually Saburō. So was 'Sunshiro' just a mistranslation? Like when Koushiro was mistranslated as Koujirou?
Yes, "Sunshiro" was a mistranslation. His name is Saburou.

As for why the mistranslation happened, the character 三 ("three") has a couple different pronunciations depending on context, including "san" and "sabu", and I guess the translator assumed it was the former instead of the latter, not realizing that 三郎 (literally "third son") is a fairly common name with the established pronunciation "Saburou". Not only is "Sunshiro" using the wrong pronunciation, it's misspelled as well, with "sun" instead of "san".

Though I have no idea where the "shi" could have come from.

Banners and avatar by me

Shining Sirius
Friend
Friend

Post by Shining Sirius » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:39 pm

Digsu wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29 pm
Shining Sirius wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:18 pm
Yes, "Sunshiro" was a mistranslation. His name is Saburou.

As for why the mistranslation happened, the character 三 ("three") has a couple different pronunciations depending on context, including "san" and "sabu", and I guess the translator assumed it was the former instead of the latter, not realizing that 三郎 (literally "third son") is a fairly common name with the established pronunciation "Saburou". Not only is "Sunshiro" using the wrong pronunciation, it's misspelled as well, with "sun" instead of "san".

Though I have no idea where the "shi" could have come from.
Thanks for clarifying, Digsu. You are a veritable font of knowledge! :DD
:star: Banner Courtesy of Gingastar :star:
:heart: Pan Sirius Pride Month Avatar by Troll Berserker :heart:

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”