Different colouring depending on editions

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Tora
Legend
Legend

Different colouring depending on editions

Post by Tora »

I kinda recently discuvered that when I looked in the Monster (Kaibutsu) Special (sometimes called 2nd ed) and as well as in the 2nd edition (pocket version, sometimes called 3rd ed), I noticed that it's coloured very differently:

From the Monster Special

From 2nd edition

I find this rather interessting.

Also I know, that Goraku have it's own coloured pages, that was not same in the Monster Special or the 2nd edition. If I had a scanner, I would love to scan all coloured pages I have and where they come from. This is very interessting to look into. ^^
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Re: Different colouring depending on editions

Post by Digsu »

Interesting. Is it just me, or does the coloring in the second edition look more digital and the Monster Special looks more watercolors? Maybe the colored pages from Monster Special are the original, and the second edition pages were scanned in monochrome and then digitally recolored? Though if the Goraku's color pages, which presumably are the original original pages, are different from both the Monster Special and second edition color pages, who knows.
:THOT:

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Nice observation! I was going to say the same as Digsu too, the second edition is definitely digitally coloured. I wonder if they did this for other republished versions?

Does every book of the 2nd edition start with coloured pages? If so, I would guess this digital recolour was likely done to fit in with pages that had perhaps never had colour applied before (I believe many of the covers may have been digitally coloured as well?). Digital colouring is a cheaper and faster process, so it would have been easier to re-colour the water colour pages from scratch to fit with the majority rather than the other way around.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Arano wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:03 pm Does every book of the 2nd edition start with coloured pages? If so, I would guess this digital recolour was likely done to fit in with pages that had perhaps never had colour applied before (I believe many of the covers may have been digitally coloured as well?). Digital colouring is a cheaper and faster process, so it would have been easier to re-colour the water colour pages from scratch to fit with the majority rather than the other way around.
Yes, every 22 volumes of 2nd edition has coloured pages. I can't say of the other 2 from the Monster Special, as I sadly one own the first part. This first part I know never been coloured in Goraku. But other from 2nd edition that are in colour has once been colour in Goraku. Wish I had those magazines.

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Tora wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:20 pm
Arano wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:03 pm Does every book of the 2nd edition start with coloured pages? If so, I would guess this digital recolour was likely done to fit in with pages that had perhaps never had colour applied before (I believe many of the covers may have been digitally coloured as well?). Digital colouring is a cheaper and faster process, so it would have been easier to re-colour the water colour pages from scratch to fit with the majority rather than the other way around.
Yes, every 22 volumes of 2nd edition has coloured pages. I can't say of the other 2 from the Monster Special, as I sadly one own the first part. This first part I know never been coloured in Goraku. But other from 2nd edition that are in colour has once been colour in Goraku. Wish I had those magazines.
I've got the full monster set and the beginning pages are all watercolour. I'll take pics at some point if that would be helpful :)
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Arano wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:57 pm
Tora wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:20 pm
I've got the full monster set and the beginning pages are all watercolour. I'll take pics at some point if that would be helpful :)
That would be really nice!!

As I know FDQ has already taking pics from the 2nd edition pages. ^^

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Arano wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:57 pmI've got the full monster set and the beginning pages are all watercolour. I'll take pics at some point if that would be helpful :)
Okay, I know I'm going totally off-topic here but as a watercolor artist myself I see this misconception way too often and feel I need to correct it: Takahashi does not color his stuff with watercolor. He uses ink. Now, ink and watercolor look similar, but there is a clear difference between the two: with ink the colors are strong and vibrant, watercolors are more muted and pale.
Last edited by YamaDora on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Doragon wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:16 pm
Arano wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:57 pmI've got the full monster set and the beginning pages are all watercolour. I'll take pics at some point if that would be helpful :)
Okay, I know I'm going totally off-topic here but as a watercolor artist myself I see this misconception way too often and feel I need to correct it: Takahashi does not color his stuff with watercolor. He uses ink. Now, ink and watercolor look similar, but there is a clear difference between the two: with ink the colors are strong and vibrant, watercolors are more muted and and pale.
Ah sorry, I should know this haha (I used to own some drafting ink and pebeo(?) ink from a brief "I will learn to draw manga" stint lol)
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Anyone knows more and have more of these coloured pages? ^^

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

I found a person in Twitter who has uploaded photos of every color page, and is at the moment going in Yukimura arc. I hope that the person will upload photos of all the color pages from GDW.

Here is the link to that person: https://twitter.com/6LI5bN9EZ9S6ijF/media

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

methpring wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:32 pm I found a person in Twitter who has uploaded photos of every color page, and is at the moment going in Yukimura arc. I hope that the person will upload photos of all the color pages from GDW.

Here is the link to that person: https://twitter.com/6LI5bN9EZ9S6ijF/media
Oh yes, I kinda RT every single one of those. XD
And saved them. I'm so glad to finally see the Goraku coloured pages. Just as another one do with coloured pages from GNG in Shounen Jump:
https://twitter.com/abyss529

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

This isn't about colored images, but coloring nonetheless so I figured I'd post it here instead of making a new topic.

In the GDW chapters included in Weed World, Kaibutsu is colored slightly darker than in later editions - he very clearly has a gray screentone in the former, but he's almost white in the latter.

Weed World edition:

Finnish edition:

English edition:

Does he have this darker color in any other editions?

methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

I'd say this color difference comes from the quality in scanning and printing. Some tones are lost in the process. Japanese of course have the best quality as they can work with original drawings, but Finnish and English have to scan from manga volumes (at least with older series, some newer series have digital copies straight from Japan, so quality is better).

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”