(Poll) Manga or anime? GDW

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).

Manga or anime?

The manga
74%
The anime
26%

Total votes: 89

Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Re: (Poll) Manga or anime? GDW

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Coconut-Tea wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:00 pm Manga, definitely :surprisegin:

Alone the fact that it includes Daisuke, Sniper,... (and Thunder and Lector being Sniper's apprentices makes me like them instantly a lot more somehow). The manga dives deeper into the story of the characters, and everything is more connected.

And the anime's animation is... not... so good
I think so as well:) Even tho there are a few things that the anime did better, then I think that the fact that we have more characters in GDW that we already know and love, makes it feel much better. The fact that I am able to see many more recognizable faces in the manga, just makes me feel a lot better. Every time I see some of the characters in GDW who was originally GNG, I'm just like "Oh, OH! I know this dog! So cool! I love this!" And if the manga manages to not ruin the character, then I just love being around the OG's, and the manga does that really well in my opinion.

That is just one reason why I feel like the manga is more important. I just wanted to tell you this now that you mentioned the fact that there are more OG characters from GNG in GDW, I just thought that I wanted to add my opinion of it as well:) For discussion purposes. I like discussing Ginga with other fans since the fanbase is quite small as you know.
Have a nice day!
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I prefer the manga because it has more aspects and qualities, as well as more fire and action.

However, like with GNG, I would prefer a GDW anime reboot/remake that could work almost like the whole manga in story and length. And hopefully, George and Daisuke would appear in the anime reboot/remake because they sure weren’t in the original anime.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

The manga is so much more imaginative than the anime :tfw_bella1:
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Spirit Tree wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:48 am I prefer the manga because it has more aspects and qualities, as well as more fire and action.

However, like with GNG, I would prefer a GDW anime reboot/remake that could work almost like the whole manga in story and length. And hopefully, George and Daisuke would appear in the anime reboot/remake because they sure weren’t in the original anime.
I just don't understand why they even made the anime before the manga had ended, but GNG and GDW (THey are both still masterpieces tho). And for whatever reason they had, then why did they change up so much (We are only talking about GDW now XD )? The plot is the same, and there are a few things that the anime did better, but why they feel the need to change so much, and why not include some important characters, like the ones you mentioned. It never really made sense to me. But the anime is still great, but what I just mentioned is something that just confuses me.
Have a nice day!
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Phantom Riki »

I prefer anime because of awesome soundtracks!!
Speaking of soundtracks,just heard Sorrow (Riki version and classic version) again in years.It makes me miss Riki.
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Mr Charisma wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:12 pm I prefer anime because of awesome soundtracks!!
Speaking of soundtracks,just heard Sorrow (Riki version and classic version) again in years.It makes me miss Riki.
I have read about the tracks being stolen, but I don't remember where I read it, only that I read it here on GB.
Have a nice day!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:28 pm
Mr Charisma wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:12 pm I prefer anime because of awesome soundtracks!!
I have read about the tracks being stolen, but I don't remember where I read it, only that I read it here on GB.
Its mentioned in this thread! But theres also a topic about it:
https://gingaboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1222
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Wolpard wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:11 pm
That's was where I read it!

But why did they even steal soundtracks when they still ended up making their own intro and outro for GDW? Why didn't they just make the other soundtracks as well instead of stealing?
Have a nice day!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:21 am

But why did they even steal soundtracks when they still ended up making their own intro and outro for GDW? Why didn't they just make the other soundtracks as well instead of stealing?
They probably did want an original soundtrack and got lazy after the more "important" tracks like into/outro
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Wolpard wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:06 pm

They probably did want an original soundtrack and got lazy after the more "important" tracks like into/outro
Well, at least they stole some good music I guess XD
Have a nice day!
Coconut-Tea

Post by Coconut-Tea »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:55 am
Wolpard wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:06 pm

Well, at least they stole some good music I guess XD
Might be that the production was very rushed, and they didn’t have time for it/ couldn’t finish the soundtrack before deadline, as they’ve got some original tracks. It would also explain most of the not-so-good animation. :bella3:
Rals
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Rals »

I prefer the anime. Yes it was ugly as sin. Yes, the plagiarism with the music was beyond disgusting. Yes, it sucks that some characters were left out.

But it terms of story, it was everything that I want from Ginga. I just want a fun little romp about anime dogs beating up a big bad, and boy, did I get that.

The manga after a certain point was an absolute ballache. It was too long, it really went off the rails before the end, and the Hougen arc didn't flow as nicely at all. It was too long and too bloated. Hougen's anime death was dumb, but his manga death was even worse. The monkey arc in the manga was alright, but everything after that really wasn't. Yeah, even the Russian dog arc don't @ me. Also Jerome dying in the anime was more poetic and beautiful.
Unbothered. Moisturized. Happy. In My Lane. Focused. Flourishing

Bear photo by Dennis Field
Av by OsoAventuroso
Coconut-Tea

Post by Coconut-Tea »

Morti wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:50 am I prefer the anime. Yes it was ugly as sin. Yes, the plagiarism with the music was beyond disgusting. Yes, it sucks that some characters were left out.

But it terms of story, it was everything that I want from Ginga. I just want a fun little romp about anime dogs beating up a big bad, and boy, did I get that.

The manga after a certain point was an absolute ballache. It was too long, it really went off the rails before the end, and the Hougen arc didn't flow as nicely at all. It was too long and too bloated. Hougen's anime death was dumb, but his manga death was even worse. The monkey arc in the manga was alright, but everything after that really wasn't. Yeah, even the Russian dog arc don't @ me. Also Jerome dying in the anime was more poetic and beautiful.
Same, although I still like the manga more - 60 volumes is WAAAY too long - felt more like different stories put together into one.
I also liked it a lot more when Jerome died - it at least had some impact.
Now, I'm not so far yet into the manga (chapter 60 or so, Hougen's arc starting), but I heard about it a lot.

Anime
- Not-so-good animation
+ Had some scenes where the animation was pretty good, even if rare (how Hougen throws John against the wall, I loved the animation there)
+ Jerome died
- Sniper wasn't included
- Ben's blindness had a comedic tone
- That one episode where they fool Kamakiri - filler
(-+) Seems like it was made more for people who didn't see GNG
- Nero's death felt generic (I know they had to censor it, but they could've at least change it into something else)
+ The fight between Weed and Hougen was great

Manga
- Too long
- Feels as if many different stories were put together into one
+ A lot more detailed
+ Deeper story
+ Many characters from GNG returned
- Hougen died... questionable
+ Weed has more personality
+ Hougen has more personality
+ The fight against Kaibutsu was better
- Had more childish dialogue

I think the anime and manga are at the same height.
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Coconut-Tea wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:48 am
Morti wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:50 am I prefer the anime. Yes it was ugly as sin. Yes, the plagiarism with the music was beyond disgusting. Yes, it sucks that some characters were left out.

Same, although I still like the manga more - 60 volumes is WAAAY too long - felt more like different stories put together into one.
Now, I'm not so far yet into the manga (chapter 60 or so, Hougen's arc starting), but I heard about it a lot.

Anime
- Not-so-good animation
+ Had some scenes where the animation was pretty good, even if rare (how Hougen throws John against the wall, I loved the animation there)
+ Jerome died
- Sniper wasn't included
- Nero's death felt generic (I know they had to censor it, but they could've at least change it into something else)

Manga
- Too long
+ A lot more detailed
+ Deeper story

This is great! You really elaborated your thoughts. For me the manga is better than the anime, but I agree on certain things here.

The belief that GDW anime was made for those who didn't watch GNG is pretty much what i think, but i also believe it was made because they wanted money and needed to find something that definitely sold well, i mean here in Europe where i live for example. The reason i think this is the case is because the anime sometimes feels bland and lacks heart and depth unlike GNG that excitedly adapted the amazing story to anime.

Ben's comedic portrayal feels awful considering that he wasn't a comic relief character in GNG.

Of course the many characters who were left out in the anime also dropped some of my liking for it.

Then again, the manga is certainly long and changes were clearly inevitable. But i doubt it was necessary to change so much that the anime becomes a little too simplistic. The childish and gross humor being dropped was a positive thing though.

The tone of the anime also lacks the grit and most of the intensity of GNG had.

Still the anime is OK, not as good as the Manga and definitely not as good as GNG.
Coconut-Tea

Post by Coconut-Tea »

WolfKing wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:33 am
Coconut-Tea wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:48 am

Anime
- Not-so-good animation
+ Jerome died
- Sniper wasn't included

Manga
- Too long
+ A lot more detailed
+ Deeper story

This is great! You really elaborated your thoughts. For me the manga is better than the anime, but I agree on certain things here.

The belief that GDW anime was made for those who didn't watch GNG is pretty much what i think, but i also believe it was made because they wanted money and needed to find something that definitely sold well, i mean here in Europe where i live for example. The reason i think this is the case is because the anime sometimes feels bland and lacks heart and depth unlike GNG that excitedly adapted the amazing story to anime.

Ben's comedic portrayal feels awful considering that he wasn't a comic relief character in GNG.

Of course the many characters who were left out in the anime also dropped some of my liking for it.

Then again, the manga is certainly long and changes were clearly inevitable. But i doubt it was necessary to change so much that the anime becomes a little too simplistic. The childish and gross humor being dropped was a positive thing though.

The tone of the anime also lacks the grit and most of the intensity of GNG had.

Still the anime is OK, not as good as the Manga and definitely not as good as GNG.
You're right, GDW doesn't have as much impact as GNG does.
GNG's final fight against Akakabuto really felt like a fight, the audience cheering for Gin, Ben, being shocked and hit by Akatora's sacrifice, and before Benizakura's death -
While GDW's (Anime) final fight was more foreseeable. Everyone knew who was going to win. One could say GNG's fight was foreseeable too, but you couldn't get attached to the characters in GDW. They were all kind of bland, not much personality. Nobody was really unique. Also, the fight was in my opinion too slow. They fought against each other for some seconds, then it paused again. It sadly had no time to make one excited. :rigel4:
That's why also manga wins, because it didn't do what the anime did. In the Anime, Hougen is "just a villain." He wants to take over Ohu. What an unique villain. :FLY:
In the manga, your very first impression of him is terrible, obnoxious, truly demonic. And you like him for that. He's unique because he's so horrible.
Censorship probably interfered with making him like this in the anime, but oh well, nobody had a problem with severed heads and Berserk-like-violence in GNG.

When I think about my favourite characters from Ginga, mostly those from GNG come into my head. They're memorable, have a personality.
Shame that GDW (Anime) suffered from bad writing. :THOT: (but Jerome's dead at least was pretty emotional and well done.)
kahooton
Comrade
Comrade

Post by kahooton »

the manga was more interesting overall, but I think the changes made for the anime were necessary, and made for a more interesting show than read!
GinFanOMG

Post by GinFanOMG »

I like manga more in overall because there is only 2 animes
Pawbreaker

Post by Pawbreaker »

I like anime more, I liked Weed as a character way more in the anime. If only it wasn't so ugly...

In the manga it felt like often Weed would just quietly stare at situations where the anime Weed would have taken charge. Weed as a character was my favorite part of the series so that affected my enjoyment.
GangstaGuru
Mentor
Mentor

Post by GangstaGuru »

There are various pros and cons with both the manga and anime, but I have to choose the original manga version.

Although I did feel the anime kept the story rolling and thus keeping the storyline entertaining, I think the characters were better thought out in the manga.

Good example is the difference of Gin's role in the Hougen arc.
In the manga he still stayed behind after John left (like the anime), but he made an attempt to leave when he realized he had an opportunity. Even though he was weak as hell and kept falling over, struggling to get away from Sniper/Murder S and his posse, he still managed to succeed in escaping. And honestly I found it kinda badass the way it went. He held onto to hope at least that he could get out eventually.
Where as in the anime, he made no attempt on anything. He had 2-3 blatant opportunities to leave, and he didn't. Particularly with Tesshin being fully able to get him out without much issue, he still said no. Pretty much played this helpless prisoner who gave up for about 15 episodes until Kyoushiro and Toube dragged him out whether he liked it or not XD

I liked the Russian arc in the manga, I thought that was really interesting story. I especially liked Viktor as the villain, I thought Yoshi did well with him. Viktor I believe was the most evil out of the GDW villains. Lydia and Maxim were good additions to the Ginga universe too.

I preferred how Tesshin was introduced into the manga over how he did in the anime. I enjoyed the resentment he had for the Ohu army at first (through the lies he had been told by Chorou), and slowly built his way to trust them again and eventually become one of Weed's most loyal companions.

Also, I think we can all agree the animation on some episodes where ridiculously horrible. Even though the character designs where a lot more accurate to the manga than the GNG anime was, at least GNG was a lot more consistent with it's quality in animation.

The only thing I really enjoyed from the anime (which I think someone else here mentioned too), was Jerome's death scene. The storyboard artists did well to make a good, emotional scene out of it.
FurAffinity
DeviantArt
Twitter

If you want to change the world, start off my making your bed

:akame: :EXCITE:
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

GangstaGuru wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:07 pm There are various pros and cons with both the manga and anime, but I have to choose the original manga version.

Although I did feel the anime kept the story rolling and thus keeping the storyline entertaining, I think the characters were better thought out in the manga.

Good example is the difference of Gin's role in the Hougen arc.
In the manga he still stayed behind after John left (like the anime), but he made an attempt to leave when he realized he had an opportunity. Even though he was weak as hell and kept falling over, struggling to get away from Sniper/Murder S and his posse, he still managed to succeed in escaping. And honestly I found it kinda badass the way it went. He held onto to hope at least that he could get out eventually.
Where as in the anime, he made no attempt on anything. He had 2-3 blatant opportunities to leave, and he didn't. Particularly with Tesshin being fully able to get him out without much issue, he still said no. Pretty much played this helpless prisoner who gave up for about 15 episodes until Kyoushiro and Toube dragged him out whether he liked it or not XD
I never really fully understood why Gin would just stay behind. The only reason why Hougen ever kept him as a hostage was to hinder the Ohu army from attacking, cause if they did, Gin would die. It would’ve been the best option to try and escape if there was a clear opportunity, since it wasn’t gonna hurt the army. Hougen was gonna take over Gajou nonetheless.

Tho, I gotta say, as a really huge Gin fan (mostly because of some nostalgia points), having Gin beeing captured for so long, always talking about him inevitably dying was so frickin’ terrifying the first time I watched the anime! Whenever I saw Gin in a scene, my heart would race, and I was just crossing my fingers, and I would repeat in my head: “Please don’t die please don’t die!” I gotta give credit to Deen for that. Having him captured for longer built up even more suspense than the manga did for me.
Have a nice day!

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”