(Poll) Weed or Gin?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).

Gin, Weed or Riki?

Gin
84%
Weed
16%

Total votes: 92

Coconut-Tea

(Poll) Weed or Gin?

Post by Coconut-Tea »

Not sure if that exists already, buuut...

Which one is your favourite?

I personally prefer Weed - I just like his personality more.
In my point of view Weed has more of a "need to help/save" impulsive personality, and Gin has more of a "need to revenge/fight" impulsive personality :derpgin: Weed wants to solve things by talking and violence is his last option, while Gin is more straight-forward rushing into danger and battle, using fangs to solve most problems, less hesitant to kill.
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: (Poll) Weed or Gin?

Post by JazzyJazz »

Gin, no hesitation. Gin is a strong male who doesn't force his ideals down people's throats like Weed does. Gin's powerful and capable, and he knows when to fight and how to lead. I also like his camaraderie with the GNG era Ohu soldiers. Weed feels more like he's trying to be Dog Jesus and everyone has to follow his ass-backwards logic otherwise, he'd whine and cry and banish them. I could post a whole rant on why I despise Weed but then I'd be here all day, lol.
MasterOfCider
Recruit
Recruit

Post by MasterOfCider »

I think Weed is a more interesting character. His questionable morals do a lot in the way of making readers think while also shifting the ideas of what it means to be conventionally strong. He's a great fighter, but doesn't believe in murder if he doesn't have to do it. Plus he's a leader without arrogance. Gin has always seemed relatively generic and over-confident. That being said, I think Gin is a better leader, but Weed is a better character if that makes sense.
"Satan takes me to the pasta."
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Weed is my favourite but I still love Gin none the less. Though I will admit, I always thought Anime Weed had more balance in character moral than Manga Weed does.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

I think Weed is a better character than Gin personally just because Weed has a bit more defining features that set him apart from the other cast members. He also has some flaws, whereas Gin is kinda... too perfect.
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

I was personally surprised by the answers, I thought Weed could not stand a chance XD

But yes, Gin is kinda too perfect, but I find him like a father character and the original leader, and he has to be better than most. Just like Riki would've been if he hadn't died
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Nuulo27 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 pm I was personally surprised by the answers, I thought Weed could not stand a chance XD

But yes, Gin is kinda too perfect, but I find him like a father character and the original leader, and he has to be better than most. Just like Riki would've been if he hadn't died
I was kinda shocked too since people usually bash on Weed so much. XD But I think the things that people find annoying about him are what make him a better written character than Gin.
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Phantom Riki »

The one thing that separates Gin and Weed is....their thinking towards enemy.I mean Weed had no problem letting Hougen go even though he killed many ohu soldiers mercilessly.Now compare if Gin did the same to Akakabuto,Mosa and Madara...getting it?
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
Coconut-Tea

Post by Coconut-Tea »

Mr Charisma wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:54 am The one thing that separates Gin and Weed is....their thinking towards enemy.I mean Weed had no problem letting Hougen go even though he killed many ohu soldiers mercilessly.Now compare if Gin did the same to Akakabuto,Mosa and Madara...getting it?
That's why I prefer the GDW manga. Weed isn't that soft there :surprisegin:
SPOILER
GingaDensetsuItalia
Friend
Friend

Post by GingaDensetsuItalia »

GIN is the one!
Weed got too much rhetoric, uff.
At every fight: "wait, killing is not the solution"... "We must help him" ... bla bla bla!! :EMPTY:
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

Gin
Ashizar
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Ashizar »

I prefer Gin, I get that he's a bit more of the fighter type but I feel like he mostly does it for the right reasons. Also he is the main protagonist in the first manga/anime which makes him somehow original, and there's something about him that just makes my heart melt (it might be due to me growing up with him and GNG more than GDW) I love Gin :tfw_rigel3: :sasukehearts:
:surprisegin: :derpgin: :gin: :gdwgin:
𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘵𝘰 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘪𝘴 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘳𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨!
- Shooting Star Gin
Bluey_Madison
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Bluey_Madison »

I think I prefer Weed more, and the manga - I really liked Gin, but especially in the Hogen arc I was really invested in the story of the young leader and his path to filling his father's footsteps. Like he was already shoved into the role of leader, and now he has to really work to live up to it, even though in natural shonen form he's instantly good at a lot of things. However, his journey is rough and the manga showed exactly the kind of pacing I like, getting to the point and progressing character development without taking ages to do so. Not so much the arcs after the Monkey arc, since that's when it starts to get very slow and Weed's character is even more bastardized, but I distinctly remember reading the fan-translated GDW and really enjoying watching young Weed overcome his battles and one day meet his famous father.
man-faced dog
right dog is made by CantaloupeFish, left dog is unknown publisher magazine
:rocket: :jet: :missile: :luke:
GangstaGuru
Mentor
Mentor

Post by GangstaGuru »

I'd say Gin for both anime and manga. Gin just seems to have better charisma and knows when the baddies should get an ass whooping.

I can tolerate Weed a lot better in the manga, and he had some really good moments of leadership and skill. But there's something about his personality the anime that really turns me off.
FurAffinity
DeviantArt
Twitter

If you want to change the world, start off my making your bed

:akame: :EXCITE:
AkaiTsuki

Post by AkaiTsuki »

Gin has my unconditional respect. Weed in namesake manga and anime was still a little too greenhorn for obvious reasons, but later on he does become very likable in manga (shame that the anime was so short and, different from sauce :KRUMP: ).

:tfw_aokabuto1: Age and experience are big factors indeed... but it is up to personal preference in the end.
"We must remember what truly matters."
VelveteenRabbit

Post by VelveteenRabbit »

I would have to say my favorite is Gin, but MOSTLY because weeds voice in the anime is really annoying haahaha

Overall I will admit that weed is the more interesting character overall. I find it nice that we get a lot more time with his character and getting to know him and his decision making skills. Gin, sadly, can fall a little close to mary sue territory at times.
Noroi
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Noroi »

Gin since hes more brave and took down a 12 meter bear.
:noroi:!Noroi!:noroi:
Awesomely drawn banners made by Sanda and Gingastar!!!
Thank you!!! <3
Flickan09

Post by Flickan09 »

Gin for me
Justarandomfan1
Potential
Potential

Post by Justarandomfan1 »

Gin (Especially how Weed acts in the later mangas) :tfw_rigel2:
:bearchibi: :mole: :gdwcross: :bella: :harpoonbear: :teru: :batto: :minnie: :moss: :chibi: :bob: :kevin: :rigel: :lenny: :bon: :unsai: :zion:
SENTŌ INU
Recruit
Recruit

Post by SENTŌ INU »

GangstaGuru wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:36 am I can tolerate Weed a lot better in the manga, and he had some really good moments of leadership and skill. But there's something about his personality the anime that really turns me off.
100% agree.

I've gotta go with Gin. :derpgin:

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”