How Would You Fix Weed?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
SoullessDog
Seasoned
Seasoned

How Would You Fix Weed?

Post by SoullessDog »

In all honesty, I kinda posted this just to post something.

But anyway, I know a lot of people hate Weed, and they have good reasons for it. Just look at the topic "Everything Bad About Weed". I actually love Weed, but I'm not blind to the flaws. For me, I can forgive some of the things he's done, like his naivety.

Unfortunately, there's a lot I can't overlook. From his hypocrisy about no-killing, to the way he treats his kids in GDW:O, how his character's changed over time, and I'm sure that there's a few things wrong with him.

Now, for me, I just fix all that my thinking up an AU and preferring it over the canon. But I wanted to know how others felt about the subject.

How would you all fix Weed? Do you believe he's redeemable? Would you even try to fix him? Or do you all think he's a lost cause? Either way, I'd like to know your reasons and what you would do.

-----
Banners and Sprites by GSDJohn

Photoshop Banner by Me

Multiversal Trio Art by Me
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How Would You Fix Weed?

Post by Spirit Tree »

I don’t hate Weed that much, but I also don’t like him that much. So it’s more like in between.

He definitely has flaws and did actions that were irritating. If I could fix him, one thing that I would do is make him a better father because I think he’s a terrible father and he sucks badly at being a father. Another thing that I would fix is his own moral toward villains. I can understand that a villain should be spared and given another chance if he is defeated or admits defeat after getting his ass kicked instead of being killed. But the problem is, the same villain could go out and do bad shit again! I understand that Weed came up with his moral during his encounter with Blue and got inspiration from that. But to give a villain more than one chance when he’s only going to do more bad shit...hell no! That weak moral of Weed’s has really made him turn on his own friends and comrades when they don’t agree with him. He’s all nice to the bad guys but rough to his own allies when they aren’t into his BS?! Think about in real life where a criminal is arrested and put in jail and charged for a crime but is then let go...and then goes out and does it again! So that’s what I would also fix.

But don’t get me wrong. One certain character that resembles Weed is no better than him. In fact, that character is worse than Weed.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
SoullessDog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by SoullessDog »

Spirit Tree wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:00 am I don’t hate Weed that much, but I also don’t like him that much. So it’s more like in between.

He definitely has flaws and did actions that were irritating. If I could fix him, one thing that I would do is make him a better father because I think he’s a terrible father and he sucks badly at being a father. Another thing that I would fix is his own moral toward villains. I can understand that a villain should be spared and given another chance if he is defeated or admits defeat after getting his ass kicked instead of being killed. But the problem is, the same villain could go out and do bad shit again! I understand that Weed came up with his moral during his encounter with Blue and got inspiration from that. But to give a villain more than one chance when he’s only going to do more bad shit...hell no! That weak moral of Weed’s has really made him turn on his own friends and comrades when they don’t agree with him. He’s all nice to the bad guys but rough to his own allies when they aren’t into his BS?! Think about in real life where a criminal is arrested and put in jail and charged for a crime but is then let go...and then goes out and does it again! So that’s what I would also fix.

But don’t get me wrong. One certain character that resembles Weed is no better than him. In fact, that character is worse than Weed.
You make a very good point, especially about how Weed is to his enemies vs his comrades. If he's going to be that forgiving to his enemies, he should at least not turn on his friends like that.

Also, I can't believe you did Sirius like that! I never liked it when people make insults and try to cover them up with, say, a cough or something like what you did. It's not that I don't like the insult, it just always seemed stupid to hide it. If you want to insult someone and you don't care if they hear it, why cover it up?

Felt the need to say that I was joking in the paragraph above. I wasn't angry about it or anything like that, I was just commenting on it.
Last edited by SoullessDog on Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

-----

Photoshop Banner by Me

JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

I'd erase him entirely, ngl. No point in salvaging garbage. Either that or portray him as the villain he is.
SoullessDog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by SoullessDog »

JazzyJazz wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:17 am I'd erase him entirely, ngl. No point in salvaging garbage. Either that or portray him as the villain he is.
I've seen how he's portrayed in The Calm Before The Storm, which is a good story. But I do prefer villains that acknowledge that they're evil.

-----

Photoshop Banner by Me

JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

Not all villains believe they're evil, and Weed rarely admits he's wrong in canon when anyone with a braincell can tell that he is.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Believe it or not, the anime did Weed pretty fairly compared to the manga.
The manga tried making him have a moment of weakness, going off to kill his enemy and considering Jerome's words because he thought his dad died, but the fact that he continues his 'no killing' (besides other species and Sniper) tactics anyways make it hypocritical in the end. it's not like Weed ever thought about how him wanting to kill Sniper was bad. He just reverted back to not wanting to. In fact, it's because he found out his dad is alive that he returned back to his pacifist mindset. That's pretty lame to me.

Anime Weed was consistent with this. That, and he wasn't as OP as he was in the manga, in my opinion. To be so young, naive, and thrown into a harsh world while tripping through it as best he can is a much better approach to him than being the best all the time and strong all the time like in the manga. One change I would make to the story is making Weed be known as the supreme leader in the end. Feels a little.. too soon to do to your son you have no clue about lol especially since we as the audience know how he's like. He's a sweet kid who'd fight for his friends, but not ready to be a leader YET.

And GDWO and forward.. uhmm.. how about we just make him a nice dad like he should be! I don't know why he's such a jerk who doesn't even care about his wife anymore at this point. I know Weed isn't exciting, but to drop him so bad like Yoshi's doing to him is just sad :/

ImageImage
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Dragon wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:34 am Believe it or not, the anime did Weed pretty fairly compared to the manga.
The manga tried making him have a moment of weakness, going off to kill his enemy and considering Jerome's words because he thought his dad died, but the fact that he continues his 'no killing' (besides other species and Sniper) tactics anyways make it hypocritical in the end. it's not like Weed ever thought about how him wanting to kill Sniper was bad. He just reverted back to not wanting to. In fact, it's because he found out his dad is alive that he returned back to his pacifist mindset. That's pretty lame to me.

Anime Weed was consistent with this. That, and he wasn't as OP as he was in the manga, in my opinion. To be so young, naive, and thrown into a harsh world while tripping through it as best he can is a much better approach to him than being the best all the time and strong all the time like in the manga. One change I would make to the story is making Weed be known as the supreme leader in the end. Feels a little.. too soon to do to your son you have no clue about lol especially since we as the audience know how he's like. He's a sweet kid who'd fight for his friends, but not ready to be a leader YET.

And GDWO and forward.. uhmm.. how about we just make him a nice dad like he should be! I don't know why he's such a jerk who doesn't even care about his wife anymore at this point. I know Weed isn't exciting, but to drop him so bad like Yoshi's doing to him is just sad :/
I agree with nearly all of this - Anime Weed is much more balanced character in the anime with throwing out the whole Sniper vs Weed thing. The main thing that would make him better in the later mangas is indeed sorting out the issue he has being a family figure, I mean couldn't he think more about his wife and all his kids, I think Gin's grief for Yukimura and Sakura was done much better than all his family issues put together! Definitely would prefer him to revert back to his younger days than what we have now.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Trout
Legend
Legend

Post by Trout »

I have never read or looked into GDW:O. It was just coming out the last time I was really invested in Ginga. It's actually really interesting because I assumed that Weed would be a good parent for a number of reasons. He never had a father figure as a pup so I feel like he would intuitively know how it affected him. He has this big thing with compassion and kindness being able to affect others. He seemed to genuinely love Koyuki from what I heard from others too.

I think Weed being a terrible father is out of character and just flat bad writing. Maybe it was done for drama. I am not really sure. It bothers me though because it does not align with his character.

While Weed was a puppy and very young, I thought his compassion and kindness were charming examples of youth. As he gets older, it becomes more nonsensical but it is reinforced by him becoming the leader far too young. I think Weed should not have been made leader at his age.

I think those are two good starting points that other people pointed out. I feel distraught to see my favorite character portrayed as such a horrible father though. It really makes me sad. I didn't want to believe it when I read about it on here.
(Probably) GingaBoard's biggest Weed fan.
SoullessDog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by SoullessDog »

Trout wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:45 pm I have never read or looked into GDW:O. It was just coming out the last time I was really invested in Ginga. It's actually really interesting because I assumed that Weed would be a good parent for a number of reasons. He never had a father figure as a pup so I feel like he would intuitively know how it affected him. He has this big thing with compassion and kindness being able to affect others. He seemed to genuinely love Koyuki from what I heard from others too.

I think Weed being a terrible father is out of character and just flat bad writing. Maybe it was done for drama. I am not really sure. It bothers me though because it does not align with his character.

While Weed was a puppy and very young, I thought his compassion and kindness were charming examples of youth. As he gets older, it becomes more nonsensical but it is reinforced by him becoming the leader far too young. I think Weed should not have been made leader at his age.

I think those are two good starting points that other people pointed out. I feel distraught to see my favorite character portrayed as such a horrible father though. It really makes me sad. I didn't want to believe it when I read about it on here.
On a technicality, it all comes down to how you interpret it. I think that there are some fans who don't see Weed as abusive, but I could be wrong. It's kinda like how in MCU, some people believe that Captain America was right while others believe that Iron Man was right.

You are right in saying that Weed should've been a good father considering his own experiences. And I don't have idea why he was written that way, either. It's the complete opposite of his character.

I love Weed, but I can't forgive all his actions, especially the things that take place beyond the Hougen Arc. The only good thing is that we can pretend that canon didn't happen by writing our own AUs.

-----

Photoshop Banner by Me

Trout
Legend
Legend

Post by Trout »

SoullessDog wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:41 pm
Trout wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:45 pm I have never read or looked into GDW:O. It was just coming out the last time I was really invested in Ginga. It's actually really interesting because I assumed that Weed would be a good parent for a number of reasons. He never had a father figure as a pup so I feel like he would intuitively know how it affected him. He has this big thing with compassion and kindness being able to affect others. He seemed to genuinely love Koyuki from what I heard from others too.

On a technicality, it all comes down to how you interpret it. I think that there are some fans who don't see Weed as abusive, but I could be wrong. It's kinda like how in MCU, some people believe that Captain America was right while others believe that Iron Man was right.

You are right in saying that Weed should've been a good father considering his own experiences. And I don't have idea why he was written that way, either. It's the complete opposite of his character.

I love Weed, but I can't forgive all his actions, especially the things that take place beyond the Hougen Arc. The only good thing is that we can pretend that canon didn't happen by writing our own AUs.
Yeah. I think that's why in my headcanon he is a good father because he really should have been. I wish I had some kind of rationale for his terrible parenting but character development isn't necessarily a high point in Ginga as a whole.

I think the biggest thing is that I can forgive his actions as long as they are consistent with his character because none of us are perfect and we make mistakes. I think without mistakes and without Weed making questionable decisions it weakens his character because it makes him unreasonably good. I'm not overly familiar with his actions post Hougen arc though unfortunately.

I love Weed too which is why coming back to the fandom and seeing his character all messed up is just odd for me. He was already before all of this and back 10 years ago a majorly hated character by the fandom. It's just sad that it's hard to even defend his behavior when you really want to without creating a new canon. I just think the writers dropped the ball on his character because I always saw his odd viewpoint as interesting and compelling and now it looks borderline delusional.
SoullessDog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by SoullessDog »

Trout wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:02 pm
SoullessDog wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:41 pm

Yeah. I think that's why in my headcanon he is a good father because he really should have been. I wish I had some kind of rationale for his terrible parenting but character development isn't necessarily a high point in Ginga as a whole.

I think the biggest thing is that I can forgive his actions as long as they are consistent with his character because none of us are perfect and we make mistakes. I think without mistakes and without Weed making questionable decisions it weakens his character because it makes him unreasonably good. I'm not overly familiar with his actions post Hougen arc though unfortunately.

I love Weed too which is why coming back to the fandom and seeing his character all messed up is just odd for me. He was already before all of this and back 10 years ago a majorly hated character by the fandom. It's just sad that it's hard to even defend his behavior when you really want to without creating a new canon. I just think the writers dropped the ball on his character because I always saw his odd viewpoint as interesting and compelling and now it looks borderline delusional.
It's really sad, and it's not just him. Others characters have suffered from degradation or have been forgotten entirely. Kyoushiro suffered really bad, turning into what the fandom calls "Jyoushiro", a very messed up version of him.

There's nothing we can do about the canon itself. It's not our right. As much as I don't like Takahashi's writing here, I have no real right to be angry, since it's his work.

As much as we may hate the decisions he's made, the work is his. It's what made us all fans in the first place.

All we can do is ignore the canon and make an AU that's better. I've seen fanfics of various series that are much better than the canon.

-----

Photoshop Banner by Me

Trout
Legend
Legend

Post by Trout »

I feel as though just because we cannot do anything about the canon does not mean we cannot be upset. I'm mostly upset because I care a lot about some of the characters and their personalities mean something to me. If they degrade, then that meaning changes. Newer fans for example have a lot harder time seeing reason to like Weed as a character.
SoullessDog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by SoullessDog »

Trout wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:20 pm I feel as though just because we cannot do anything about the canon does not mean we cannot be upset. I'm mostly upset because I care a lot about some of the characters and their personalities mean something to me. If they degrade, then that meaning changes. Newer fans for example have a lot harder time seeing reason to like Weed as a character.
That's true. But what I mean is that it's kind of like reading a fanfic someone writes and hating on it. I don't like the canon because of the degradation, the misogyny, characters disappearing, and all that bad stuff. You do make a good point that I didn't think about. It does ruin it for the newer fans.

-----

Photoshop Banner by Me

Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Not gonna lie - I did a double-take with that title because I thought you meant something else. :tfw_rigel2:

Seriously though, I suppose if I could fix anything about Weed I would've made him a better father. It has always bothered me that Weed became such a cold father after he was so close with his mum. Joe, I can totally understand, but Weed grew up knowing how good it was to have a loving parent. So, him turning into a borderline-abusive dad, even if he was neutral about/didn't want any kids, just makes very little sense to me. Like, a big part of Weed's character is that he's supposed to be compassionate, so watching him throwing his own child around at the finale of GDW:O still hurts the soul. :weed:
SoullessDog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by SoullessDog »

Shining Sirius wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:12 pm Not gonna lie - I did a double-take with that title because I thought you meant something else. :tfw_rigel2:

Seriously though, I suppose if I could fix anything about Weed I would've made him a better father. It has always bothered me that Weed became such a cold father after he was so close with his mum. Joe, I can totally understand, but Weed grew up knowing how good it was to have a loving parent. So, him turning into a borderline-abusive dad, even if he was neutral about/didn't want any kids, just makes very little sense to me. Like, a big part of Weed's character is that he's supposed to be compassionate, so watching him throwing his own child around at the finale of GDW:O still hurts the soul. :weed:
lol. I knew someone would take it that way! You actually thought I was asking people how they would 'fix' Weed?

I can't help but ask, what came to your mind? In fact, what comes to everyone's mind about 'fixing' Weed? Did the people who thought about it actually think of a method of 'fixing'?

On a serious note, I don't understand what they were going for when they made him such a horrible father.

Edit: Yeah! I ranked up!

-----

Photoshop Banner by Me

JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

I don't get why people are so surprised that Weed's such a shit dad, like the guy has no problems tossing around and screaming at his own "friends" even way back in early GDW him tossing GB into a ditch and yelling that he hates him for daring to say that he shouldn't be near a sick and dying dog. A guy like that is obviously gonna turn out to be a bad dad.
SoullessDog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by SoullessDog »

JazzyJazz wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:08 am I don't get why people are so surprised that Weed's such a shit dad, like the guy has no problems tossing around and screaming at his own "friends" even way back in early GDW him tossing GB into a ditch and yelling that he hates him for daring to say that he shouldn't be near a sick and dying dog. A guy like that is obviously gonna turn out to be a bad dad.
If you don't mind me saying this, it does all come down to how you interpret the story. And not everyone is aware of the entire story. Some people have only seen the anime, some only have bits and pieces of the manga.

As for interpretation, you see it in other fandoms how people might decide that this character is good or that an opposing character is good. I guess some people just see characters differently, which is fine because this is fiction. And we're all entitled to our own opinions, even if people don't always agree with each other.

-----

Photoshop Banner by Me

JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

Well, Weed exhibits abusive behavior in both the manga and anime. That's not "interpretation", that's reading and watching what's literally on the screen.
SoullessDog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by SoullessDog »

JazzyJazz wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:18 am Well, Weed exhibits abusive behavior in both the manga and anime. That's not "interpretation", that's reading and watching what's literally on the screen.
Well, you should see MCU and what Captain America is like. A lot of people believe he was right, despite the things he did and the lack of real world logic. Just as some people believe that he was wrong and did so many bad things.

Again, it's your opinion, and I can respect that. You have good reasons to hate Weed, but I also think there are some people do actually hate Weed just because they can and not because they care about what he did in the anime or the manga.

-----

Photoshop Banner by Me

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”