General Opinions on GDW:O

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion.
User avatar
Wolpard
Adviser
Adviser
Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: General Opinions on GDW:O

Post by Wolpard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 am

Dragon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:38 pm
OMG I never commented here before!!
I love GDWO so much! It's probably my 2nd of 1st fav of the series (tying with GNG). It feels like a whole new part of the world, but still with Ginga lore behind it. You meet so many new dogs, new stories, and relationships feel meaningful. We don't even get a 2D generic villain. We have multiple villains with various paths they take throughout the series. I don't feel bored while reading basically any plot point, despite there being so many different views in this series.
It feels a bit underrated in the fandom. I feel like if the oldies got killed off, this would be a good start to a new chapter of the next generation... but when you pile on all the old characters ontop of all the new guys, that's its biggest down side :/
I agree, I think GDW:O has some great villains! I'm also a big Masashige stan so....
I think it being underrated has a lot to do with it never being adapted into anime, since theres a big chunk of the fandom thats anime only. I think GDW:O would make for a great anime but I'm not that hopeful especially since the later half of GDW is missing in anime form.

But yeah the oldies stuff was messed up on Yoshi's part since the beginning of GDW. Why the heck did he make the timeskip between GNG and GDW so long? If it wasnt so damn long I dont think people would have as big of an issue with oldies being around in later series like GDW:O. :yama1:

User avatar
Dragon
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: Unova
Contact:

Re: General Opinions on GDW:O

Post by Dragon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 am

Wolpard wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 am
Dragon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:38 pm
OMG I never commented here before!!
I love GDWO so much! It's probably my 2nd of 1st fav of the series (tying with GNG). It feels like a whole new part of the world, but still with Ginga lore behind it. You meet so many new dogs, new stories, and relationships feel meaningful. We don't even get a 2D generic villain. We have multiple villains with various paths they take throughout the series. I don't feel bored while reading basically any plot point, despite there being so many different views in this series.
It feels a bit underrated in the fandom. I feel like if the oldies got killed off, this would be a good start to a new chapter of the next generation... but when you pile on all the old characters ontop of all the new guys, that's its biggest down side :/
I agree, I think GDW:O has some great villains! I'm also a big Masashige stan so....
I think it being underrated has a lot to do with it never being adapted into anime, since theres a big chunk of the fandom thats anime only. I think GDW:O would make for a great anime but I'm not that hopeful especially since the later half of GDW is missing in anime form.

But yeah the oldies stuff was messed up on Yoshi's part since the beginning of GDW. Why the heck did he make the timeskip between GNG and GDW so long? If it wasnt so damn long I dont think people would have as big of an issue with oldies being around in later series like GDW:O. :yama1:
That's a good point :tfw_orion1: I wonder how theyd be able to pull off GDWO if they ever made it into an anime. If I think about it.. maybe not? but... Joe is important, but didnt show up in GDW anime. Uhmmm.... wow, is that all? Is everything else explainable? Maybe they sacrifice Joe's role with GB since he dies in GDW and this would be an easy way to make him gone but still being important.
I guess we would also need scenes of Koyuki and Kotetsu too. Jerome being dead and Lydia's kids don't matter since they never play importance. Hiro's kids could just take up their scenes. ...Yeah! This could actually happen!
Image
Image

Online
User avatar
Digsu
Legend
Legend
Posts: 4525
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Finland

Re: General Opinions on GDW:O

Post by Digsu » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 am

Dragon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 am
That's a good point :tfw_orion1: I wonder how theyd be able to pull off GDWO if they ever made it into an anime. If I think about it.. maybe not? but... Joe is important, but didnt show up in GDW anime. Uhmmm.... wow, is that all? Is everything else explainable? Maybe they sacrifice Joe's role with GB since he dies in GDW and this would be an easy way to make him gone but still being important.
I guess we would also need scenes of Koyuki and Kotetsu too. Jerome being dead and Lydia's kids don't matter since they never play importance. Hiro's kids could just take up their scenes. ...Yeah! This could actually happen!
tbh if GDWO ever ended up getting made into anime, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done by a different company because the GDW anime was made well over a decade ago. So they wouldn't have to worry about continuity between the two adaptations, similarly to the situation with the GNG and GDW animes.



User avatar
Wolpard
Adviser
Adviser
Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: General Opinions on GDW:O

Post by Wolpard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:35 am

Digsu wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 am
Dragon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 am
That's a good point :tfw_orion1: I wonder how theyd be able to pull off GDWO if they ever made it into an anime. If I think about it.. maybe not? but... Joe is important, but didnt show up in GDW anime. Uhmmm.... wow, is that all? Is everything else explainable? Maybe they sacrifice Joe's role with GB since he dies in GDW and this would be an easy way to make him gone but still being important.
I guess we would also need scenes of Koyuki and Kotetsu too. Jerome being dead and Lydia's kids don't matter since they never play importance. Hiro's kids could just take up their scenes. ...Yeah! This could actually happen!
tbh if GDWO ever ended up getting made into anime, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done by a different company because the GDW anime was made well over a decade ago. So they wouldn't have to worry about continuity between the two adaptations, similarly to the situation with the GNG and GDW animes.
TBH I still feel our best bet for a GDW:O anime (and onwards) would be a total Ginga reboot and thats pretty unlikely :tfw_sirius5:

User avatar
Sketch-San
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:14 pm

Re: General Opinions on GDW:O

Post by Sketch-San » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:47 am

Digsu wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 am
Dragon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 am
That's a good point :tfw_orion1: I wonder how theyd be able to pull off GDWO if they ever made it into an anime. If I think about it.. maybe not? but... Joe is important, but didnt show up in GDW anime. Uhmmm.... wow, is that all? Is everything else explainable? Maybe they sacrifice Joe's role with GB since he dies in GDW and this would be an easy way to make him gone but still being important.
I guess we would also need scenes of Koyuki and Kotetsu too. Jerome being dead and Lydia's kids don't matter since they never play importance. Hiro's kids could just take up their scenes. ...Yeah! This could actually happen!
tbh if GDWO ever ended up getting made into anime, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done by a different company because the GDW anime was made well over a decade ago. So they wouldn't have to worry about continuity between the two adaptations, similarly to the situation with the GNG and GDW animes.
Can confirm the lack of continuity because while scripting for the GDW English dub they had some WEIRD ass inconsistencies. For example in episode 13 Tesshin mentions that he has to stay with the Koga elder as a returned favor for allowing him and his father to go to Ohu once... nevermind the fact that this literally never happened.

Either that or it was a fuckup on the weird ASD subtitles, idk

Online
User avatar
Digsu
Legend
Legend
Posts: 4525
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Finland

Re: General Opinions on GDW:O

Post by Digsu » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:26 am

Sketch-San wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:47 am
Digsu wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 am
tbh if GDWO ever ended up getting made into anime, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done by a different company because the GDW anime was made well over a decade ago. So they wouldn't have to worry about continuity between the two adaptations, similarly to the situation with the GNG and GDW animes.
Can confirm the lack of continuity because while scripting for the GDW English dub they had some WEIRD ass inconsistencies. For example in episode 13 Tesshin mentions that he has to stay with the Koga elder as a returned favor for allowing him and his father to go to Ohu once... nevermind the fact that this literally never happened.

Either that or it was a fuckup on the weird ASD subtitles, idk
I think this was once brought up in the GDW bombs topic and Fanta confirmed that is exactly what's being said.

In general the GDW anime seems to occupy its own weird bubble unrelated to the rest of the Ginga canon because of all the shortcuts they had to make when adapting the story. And honestly I don't mind that because in the grand scheme of things "let's just make up some bullshit to tie the story of our adaptation together" is probably better than "we'll cut some stuff out but leave the rest completely intact so you'll have to check out the original material anyway to understand it, totally missing the point of creating an adaptation in the first place".



User avatar
Kaiken
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Planet Earth, hopefully

Re: General Opinions on GDW:O

Post by Kaiken » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:26 am

Because of that phrase Tesshin said about elder, my long-time headcanon was that the fat pup from GNG was indeed the same dog as Tesshin. I was so happy when I first found out that that is canonically Tesshin! xD
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Image
YAMATO4EVER

Post Reply

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion”