GDW:O General Questions Topic

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Re: GDW:O General Questions Topic

Post by Gingaddict »

Kaiken wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:39 pm
Digsu wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:15 pm
Kaiken wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:55 pm Dp we have any evidence of Bonn having problems with his father/his father being cruel to him or his friends other than Bonn's own words? Or even evidence of Blanca actually telling Bonn what he claims his uncle have said?
The scene with Bonn defying Matheus is still from his own initiative after he's been converted to Ohu army, too.
Even if Blanca did really say what Bonn claims he said, it still doesn't prove Matheus being a bad father, just that in war it's not safe with him anymore especially considering how strong Gennai is. He might have just said that to ensure Bonn stays with the winning side instead of returning in Masamune's path, who WOULD kill a puppy.
The narrator says that it wasn't until he joined the Ohu army that Bon finally got to live a proper puppy's life and have friends.

Also imho assuming that Bon is such a convincing actor that he's capable of instantly fake crying at the mention of his father and coming up with lies about Blanca's last words and Mateus being a remorseless murderer while still crying his eyes out over Blanca's death requires making far more assumptions than him genuinely despising his father. Theories are well and good, but Ginga is the sort of series where subtlety does not exist - canonically, everything is always exactly the way it's presented as. I'm not stopping you from having a headcanon that Bon is secretly a master manipulator (it's honestly a really neat theory), but as far as actual canon goes, he hated his father and Mateus had a history of killing his sons playmates.

I'm not saying he was fake crying, neither at the mention of his father nor at Blanca's death. It's just that the sudden change of attitude (he wasn't unhappy when he debuted, in fact he seemed boastful and proud to be leader's son) seemed really weird. There was also an odd pause of tension about what Blanca whispered to him, AND it wasn't shown, like other times. It was left for the character himself to explain.
That's the thing. Ginga is always very straightforward when it comes to abusive fathers and unhappy sons.
He definitely got a far more healthier and normal lifestyle with Ohu army, which is what narrator said, yeah.
Matheus said that it was Bonn himself who killed his friends and that also makes sense for Bonn to just blame everyone else. His friends or his father, anyone just not himself. We've never seen him remorseful after all...
All very interesting answers, it's just from the outside, it looked like Bon had Stockholm Syndrome!
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

What about Bonn's mother? How can a pup so young be without mother? What happened with Matheus wife? Any theories or answers form interviews? Anything?
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Kaiken wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:08 pm What about Bonn's mother? How can a pup so young be without mother? What happened with Matheus wife? Any theories or answers form interviews? Anything?
No official answer exists for that.

Presumably she was another victim of whatever's happened to all the unseen mothers of Ginga. Death by childbirth? Fatal illness that only targets nursing female dogs? Unexplained breakup between parents? Who knows.
:THOT:

Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Digsu wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:19 pm
Kaiken wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:08 pm What about Bonn's mother? How can a pup so young be without mother? What happened with Matheus wife? Any theories or answers form interviews? Anything?

Presumably she was another victim of whatever's happened to all the unseen mothers of Ginga. Death by childbirth? Fatal illness that only targets nursing female dogs? Unexplained breakup between parents? Who knows.
Manly dogs can manifest without a mother, dont you know?
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Wolpard wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:46 pm

Oh, right. :derpgin:

Either that or there's a secret clan of storks who only deliver puppies to single fathers in the Gingaverse.

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Digsu wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:59 pm
Wolpard wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:46 pm

Oh, right. :derpgin:

Either that or there's a secret clan of storks who only deliver puppies to single fathers in the Gingaverse.
And only male puppies, too!
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

I never realized until looking through Tesshin's wikia gallery... that it took until GDWO for us to see Tesshin's battouga! Is this true? Or am I just forgetting when he did it other times? I don't count his training on the tree branch since it's not really a battouga, just a demonstration on how it would look like.

ImageImage
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Sorry for the double post, but another thing I wanna add...
Rigel is the only star pup that ACTUALLY killed someone, right? Orion technically was the cause for the first bad guy he met to have drowned, but does that count? I can't remember him successfully killing anyone though.
Rigel slit open the throat of one of the pursuers of Terumune and was praised for it. I'm almost shocked he's the sanest pup after doing that. I don't recall any of the other beardogs killing someone before, besides Riki killing some wolves who attacked Fuuga. Weed let Sniper's body wash away into the water, but it's another tough thing to know whether to count that as him or not, like Orion.

I don't fault Rigel for this, because Terumune was going to die otherwise. I'm just surprised.
also sorry if any of that is wrong .w. please dont hesitate to correct my errors x'D

ImageImage
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Dragon wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:20 pm Sorry for the double post, but another thing I wanna add...
Rigel is the only star pup that ACTUALLY killed someone, right? Orion technically was the cause for the first bad guy he met to have drowned, but does that count? I can't remember him successfully killing anyone though.
Rigel slit open the throat of one of the pursuers of Terumune and was praised for it. I'm almost shocked he's the sanest pup after doing that. I don't recall any of the other beardogs killing someone before, besides Riki killing some wolves who attacked Fuuga. Weed let Sniper's body wash away into the water, but it's another tough thing to know whether to count that as him or not, like Orion.

I don't fault Rigel for this, because Terumune was going to die otherwise. I'm just surprised.
also sorry if any of that is wrong .w. please dont hesitate to correct my errors x'D
Weed killed one of Hougen's soldiers and both him and Gin killed Russian war dogs, if you also count other dogs from bear hound family.
About Star Pups you might be right. Can't think of anyone who has been killed by them right now from the translated volumes.
Favorites:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Kaiken wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:27 pm Weed killed one of Hougen's soldiers and both him and Gin killed Russian war dogs, if you also count other dogs from bear hound family.
About Star Pups you might be right. Can't think of anyone who has been killed by them right now from the translated volumes.
Oh righhtt, from the battougas! Thanks for reminding me xD

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Gin also killed Juga and one of the Makai Juuninshu in the wolf arc and possibly killed Demon in Jerome's flashback in the Kaibutsu arc (it's kind of ambiguous if he was dead or just knocked out).

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Here's Kenshin's long lost brother. Or cousin. Or something.
He's very much looking like Nobushi, Kenshin's son and the Nokizaru elder too
Favorites:
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Ok, uh, this has been hanging over my head for years.

Why is it is called Ginga Densetsu WEED: Orion, and not just... Ginga Densetsu Orion? The title makes it sound like its still focused on Weed, and there's some event/etc. that has to do with something called "Orion" lmfao.

My best guess is that there was so much branding around the word "WEED" when Ginga switched publishers, but they obviously let go of Weed in the title for GTLW and GDN (granted, a few years later). But I don't think I've ever heard an actual answer.
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Wolpard wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:09 pm Ok, uh, this has been hanging over my head for years.

Why is it is called Ginga Densetsu WEED: Orion, and not just... Ginga Densetsu Orion? The title makes it sound like its still focused on Weed, and there's some event/etc. that has to do with something called "Orion" lmfao.

My best guess is that there was so much branding around the word "WEED" when Ginga switched publishers, but they obviously let go of Weed in the title for GTLW and GDN (granted, a few years later). But I don't think I've ever heard an actual answer.
I've been wondering the same thing! My best conclusion is that ''Weed'' was kept for marketing reasons. =/

GTLW and right after GDN were made almost 10 years later, so the two were marketed as brand new Ginga follow-up, not more of the same old GDW. GDN probably is only seperate title from TLW because of how presumably failed TLW was. But that's just my theory. I got no source to back it up. :THOT:
Favorites:
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Did we ever get any backstory as to how Mateus met Masamune and came to be his vassal? :matheus:
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Shining Sirius wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:15 pm Did we ever get any backstory as to how Mateus met Masamune and came to be his vassal? :matheus:
I remember this quote ''Mattheus was extremely strong, and the strong know to fear those who are even stronger'' <--(Masamune). I believe it was from narrator in one of the early Matheus chapters.
And Matheus became Masamune's chief vassal after his previous one, Masashige got demoted to regular platoon leader.
Favorites:
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Kaiken wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:55 pm
Shining Sirius wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:15 pm Did we ever get any backstory as to how Mateus met Masamune and came to be his vassal? :matheus:
I remember this quote ''Mattheus was extremely strong, and the strong know to fear those who are even stronger'' <--(Masamune). I believe it was from narrator in one of the early Matheus chapters.
And Matheus became Masamune's chief vassal after his previous one, Masashige got demoted to regular platoon leader.
But did we ever get any explanation as to how he apparently came to fear Masamune? Or was Mateus just always kind of... there without any story behind him?
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Shining Sirius wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:46 pm
But did we ever get any explanation as to how he apparently came to fear Masamune? Or was Mateus just always kind of... there without any story behind him?
No idea. If it was explained then in one of the last 5 untranslated volumes. I have absolutely no information as to what happens in those volumes apart from few snippet pages that have been translated.
I assume he just saw Masamune kill somebody who stood against him. He HAS killed a lot of dogs that he didn't like: first the soldier from his new troops who complained, then Trigger :trigger: who attempted a coup, then Kenshin's second-in-command, and I probably forgot someone.
Favorites:
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Shining Sirius wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:46 pm
There's no backstory for Mateus as far as the canon material goes.
Bluey_Madison
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Bluey_Madison »

I'm at chapter 49, and I was surprised to see Kenshin as Masamune's ally, and the text saying that those from Nokizaru were now merged with Kurohabaki. Last we saw him, I thought that Masamune had killed Nokizaru's 2nd in Command after he promised loyalty to Kurohabaki and left while Kenshin stayed behind. Kenshin also told Masamune that he couldn't rule a nation by chaos, and that numbers and power aren't going to convince him to follow a violent leader. Maybe I missed the subtext, or when Masamune referred to as 'dealing mental damage,' by killing the 2nd in Command (page 73, chapter 42), the plot actually worked?
man-faced dog
right dog is made by CantaloupeFish, left dog is unknown publisher magazine
:rocket: :jet: :missile: :luke:

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion”