Bella's name

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion.
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Bella's name

Post by YamaDora »

I've been thinking about this subject ever since I was talking about it in another topic. Fandom seems to often think Bella's name is Bellatrix, but I've noticed that nothing in the manga indicates this.

So, here are the facts:
-In the Finnish translation of GDWO Daisuke says this: "The Orion constellation has a star called Bellatrix, which mean woman warrior. I named her Bella after it." This indicates that he just named her Bella after Bellatrix, and not that he named her Bellatrix.
-There are maps in the beginning of every volume showing where all characters are in Japan. In these maps everyone are called by their full name (like Akakamakiri and Kurokamakiri have their full names displayed). Bella is always just Bella in them.
-She is always called Bella by other characters, and even the narrator calls her Bella.

So in conclusion, "Bellatrix" is just Bella, and that's her real name.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Re: Bella's name

Post by Digsu »

I actually once asked about this exact thing in the general GDWO questions topic back on the old board. It turned out that in the Japanese version, Daisuke says that he did name her Bellatrix after the star and he just called her Bella for short.

So it's like the situation with Mel, where his real name is mentioned exactly once and everyone just uses the shortened form otherwise. I actually speculated that it's possible the dogs don't even know her full name is Bellatrix.

methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

In the 1st volume of Orion, page 19, last frame, the first speech bubble, Daisuke talks about the Orion constellation and that it has the star called Bellatrix. This is what the speech bubble after that says: それに肖って ベラ にしたんだ .

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Digsu wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:49 amIt turned out that in the Japanese version, Daisuke says that he did name her Bellatrix after the star and he just called her Bella for short.
Can someone confirm this? Because fans have mistranslated things before (Joe, Andy's relation to John etc.). It seems very off to me that the Finnish translation would change it like that.
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

Doragon wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:41 am
Digsu wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:49 amIt turned out that in the Japanese version, Daisuke says that he did name her Bellatrix after the star and he just called her Bella for short.
Can someone confirm this? Because fans have mistranslated things before (Joe, Andy's relation to John etc.). It seems very off to me that the Finnish translation would change it like that.
I have translated this page in the past, and I can guarantee you that Digsu is right. Daisuke names the pup Bellatrix, and calls her Bella for short.
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Ah, alright then. It really strikes me weird that she is never called Bellatrix anywhere (not even in the maps, where everyone else have their full names - and even narrator calls her Bella), which led me to think her name is just Bella.
...maybe Takahashi forgot that she's supposed to Bellatrix? I wouldn't be even surprised if that was the case.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Doragon wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:56 pm Ah, alright then. It really strikes me weird that she is never called Bellatrix anywhere (not even in the maps, where everyone else have their full names - and even narrator calls her Bella), which led me to think her name is just Bella.
...maybe Takahashi forgot that she's supposed to Bellatrix? I wouldn't be even surprised if that was the case.
Thinks about this: despite Mel/Mer's full name being Mercedes, in volume 18 of GDW, he appears in the 'meet the characters' page and his tag says just 'Mel/Mer'.
In a way, their name is Mel and Bella, because of how no one ever says their real name, but I guess I don't blame people who want to say 'Bellatrix', since it sounds cooler. xD

ImageImage
Cocoalings

Post by Cocoalings »

It's just a nickname. When she hears someone yell out "BELLATRIX" she knows she's in deep shit because that's a full name = big trouble situation xD
idk what i'm doing

My favorites:
:yukimura: :uzuki: :koushirou: :hiyan: :giyan: :mangariki: :gin: :smith: :kagetora: :ken: :gb: :george: :benizakura: :bella: :akatora: :chutora: :kurotora: :moss: :kaibutsu: :joe: :hazuki: :great: :fuji: :aka: :mel: :yamato: :ryo: :rigel: :lonelyron: :jumbo:

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion”