General Opinions on GDW:O

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion.
Kassified

General Opinions on GDW:O

Post by Kassified »

Now, I really do like Ginga. However, Orion is kinda annoying. Weed has kids..one kid is ‘special.’ Does the same ol stuff..bad guy takes over..’special’ kid knows immediately how to do the Battouga..doesn’t lose energy from the Battouga..I WANT A MONSTER TAKING OVER OR SOMETHING, I DONT WANT A LEADER HAVIN A CHILD THEN THAT KID IS INCREDIBLE THE MOMENT HE POPS OUT. (Yes, I say he because all the cool dogs are only male, I want a female for once, all the dogs kinda shit on the female dogs).
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Re: Kinda Repetitive

Post by Wolpard »

Incredible puppies seems to be Ginga's thing lol. At the very least, GDW:O shakes it up a bit by having a more flawed protagonist than both Gin and Weed.
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

Could the next hero be adopted? :o
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Hyzenthlay Rose
Banned
Banned

Post by Hyzenthlay Rose »

Nuulo27 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:27 pm Could the next hero be adopted? :o
That would be neat.

It would also be nice if the next hero is a breed that we haven't already seen a million times : P
The Gay Jackalope

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Phantom Riki »

I want new hero to be Riki's rebirth.By the way I was real pissed how they didn't even give him credit for creating ohu army and teaching Gin the battouga!!
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Mr Charisma wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:45 am I want new hero to be Riki's rebirth.
Thaaat would be Orion. :D
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Kaiken wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:31 am
Mr Charisma wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:45 am I want new hero to be Riki's rebirth.
If Orion grows to be more like Riki (patient but very strong and charismatic leader) then I'd agree with you - but as he is right now, he's hardly anything like Riki. Comparing Orion to Yukimura would make more sense, but even then Yukimura was more level-headed than Orion is.
The only trait Orion shares with Riki right now is the fur color and strength, and that's it.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

YamaDora wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:47 am
If Orion grows to be more like Riki (patient but very strong and charismatic leader) then I'd agree with you - but as he is right now, he's hardly anything like Riki. Comparing Orion to Yukimura would make more sense, but even then Yukimura was more level-headed than Orion is.
The only trait Orion shares with Riki right now is the fur color and strength, and that's it.
To be fair, GDN (and GDWO to a lesser extent) has been pushing the "Orion is just like Riki" thing so hard that I'm pretty sure Orion being Riki reborn is pretty much canon at this point, regardless of how much it actually makes sense.

It honestly is a huge shame that Orion's parallels with Yukimura have never been discussed in the series themselves, despite them making much more sense lorewise.
:tfw_aokabuto2:

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

YamaDora wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:47 am
I meant in a way ginga characters get reincarnated not how much they actually parallel each other. John-Andy, Kenshin-Nobushi, etc. When Yoshi kills off a character and then decides he misses them and wants to bring back, so a copy of them is bought in. In this case, Orion is meant to be said copy of Riki.
Also, Riki was a bit more less forgiving and more merciless than Gin and Weed was, so that's another of his traits to Orion. When Gin fought Kurojaki, he let him go, which is something neither Orion nor Riki would probably have done, unlike Weed.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Kaiken wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:58 am
YamaDora wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:47 am If Orion grows to be more like Riki (patient but very strong and charismatic leader) then I'd agree with you - but as he is right now, he's hardly anything like Riki. Comparing Orion to Yukimura would make more sense, but even then Yukimura was more level-headed than Orion is.
Also, Riki was a bit more less forgiving and more merciless than Gin and Weed was, so that's another of his traits to Orion. When Gin fought Kurojaki, he let him go, which is something neither Orion nor Riki would probably have done, unlike Weed.
Am I missing something here? When was Riki being merciless to other dogs ever a thing? :bon3:
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Shining Sirius wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:40 am
Kaiken wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:58 am
YamaDora wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:47 am If Orion grows to be more like Riki (patient but very strong and charismatic leader) then I'd agree with you - but as he is right now, he's hardly anything like Riki. Comparing Orion to Yukimura would make more sense, but even then Yukimura was more level-headed than Orion is.
Am I missing something here? When was Riki being merciless to other dogs ever a thing? :bon3:
He hasn't really fought dogs (and no John doesn't count, because Riki always saw him as his follower, just one who needs a bit of control), so about dogs it's unknown.
Favorites:
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Re: General Opinions on GDW:O

Post by Arano »

Kassified I've renamed this and your topic in GDN to an inclusive title so other people can contribute.

Please use descriptive titles going forward so people know what your topic is about :)
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Kaiken wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:17 pm
Kaiken wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:58 amAlso, Riki was a bit more less forgiving and more merciless than Gin and Weed was, so that's another of his traits to Orion. When Gin fought Kurojaki, he let him go, which is something neither Orion nor Riki would probably have done, unlike Weed.
He hasn't really fought dogs (and no John doesn't count, because Riki always saw him as his follower, just one who needs a bit of control), so about dogs it's unknown.
If we're talking about bears then, both Riki and Gin were pretty much on the same level on that stuff (aside from Gin willing to let bear cubs go) - Weed has hardly showed any mercy to bears, either.
Only Weed's very first encounter with a hybrid bear stated that he wasn't hostile towards the bear, but considering how hard Weed went on killing them, he isn't too far from Riki and Gin in terms of being merciful.
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

YamaDora wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:45 pm
Kaiken wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:17 pm
If we're talking about bears then, both Riki and Gin were pretty much on the same level on that stuff (aside from Gin willing to let bear cubs go) - Weed has hardly showed any mercy to bears, either.
Only Weed's very first encounter with a hybrid bear stated that he wasn't hostile towards the bear, but considering how hard Weed went on killing them, he isn't too far from Riki and Gin in terms of being merciful.
I actually meant how Gin and Weed constantly keep showing mercy to their opponents. Gin vs Kurojaki and Weed vs Assasins/Hougen/everyone.
I wish we could have any good examples on Riki against dogs, too. =/
Favorites:
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Phantom Riki »

Sometimes it makes me wonder how Riki was able to gather such an army consisting of strong males like Ben,Great,Terry and even that ruthless Sniper.He sure had defeated them in battle to gain their trust.
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Mr Charisma wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:06 pm Sometimes it makes me wonder how Riki was able to gather such an army consisting of strong males like Ben,Great,Terry and even that ruthless Sniper.He sure had defeated them in battle to gain their trust.
Personally, I assume that his natural charisma was enough to win over most, if not all of them, without the need for fighting - just the sight of him was enough to make the whole army weep and tremble when they saw him for the first time, after all. Even Sniper possibly joined just for the chance to take over the pack, rather than because of Riki's strength.

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Digsu wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:12 pm
Mr Charisma wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:06 pm Sometimes it makes me wonder how Riki was able to gather such an army consisting of strong males like Ben,Great,Terry and even that ruthless Sniper.He sure had defeated them in battle to gain their trust.
Personally, I assume that his natural charisma was enough to win over most, if not all of them, without the need for fighting - just the sight of him was enough to make the whole army weep and tremble when they saw him for the first time, after all. Even Sniper possibly joined just for the chance to take over the pack, rather than because of Riki's strength.
Agreed, through I believe Sniper did fight Riki once, similar manner to John - in a fair duel over leadership or witnessed someone else do it, because he was genuinely worried about ''Gin's fangs and nimble movements being the same as those of Riki'' and he wanted to take out Gin before he grows up to be as strong as his father - not a match for Sniper anymore.

Also Ben and Riki are said to be actual friends, not just comrades, so presumably they formed close friendship soon after Riki woke up from his amnesia and must have invited Ben as one of the founding members.
Favorites:
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

We are going a bit out topic here so I'll bring it back - I was hoping Ginga Orion was to be like a disaster movie where the earthquake is the enemy not another pack of evil dogs and we could see how the Ginga family survives or even try to find a new home. But what did I get instead? Ninja clans... AGAIN! I don't know about you lot, but I hate the Ninja thing in this series, it's so bland and repetitive! I also hate the clans they introduced as they take way too much screen-time and some of their abilities and beliefs are quite complicated to understand. Also is it just me or does this series have a thing for old timers? Seriously they are more oldies in this series than young members, like I had hopes that Jerome's pups and Reika's pups would become Orion's allies but instead he gets old folk and random other dogs (that are now nowhere to be seen in GDN and GLW). :EMPTY:

Some of the story is a bit better once you read the translations, but the story I had in my head for this series just sounds much better than the story I got, where it felt it was retreading parts of its plot from GDW and we never actually get to see Weed be an actual dad! :tfw_aokabuto2:
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Bluey_Madison
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Bluey_Madison »

I haven't read all of it and I try to avoid spoiling it, but I think that this part of the series is my favorite, maybe even above GNG. Orion became my favorite character almost instantly just because of how much he was like Gin in GNG; bold, willing to challenge his opponents, and is willing to fight absolutely any enemy to get to his goal. Of course this anger can cause trouble and get in the way, even to his detriment, which I think makes him a very interesting character to follow. His contrast with his brothers was also cool to follow, when the story split into three while they were separated. The structure is not split into arcs like GDW, which I also liked because of how similar it was to GNG - one enemy, a straight shot, and several smaller enemies and side-stories along the way.

There were things I didn't like about it either - some parts of the plot seemed weird, and so far, I think that maybe Tenka's side plot could have been given to someone else? He doesn't seem to be doing much right now, but I could be proven wrong. I was also kind of confused about the dog whistling - how can the other dogs not hear it? How can a whistle communicate words, like it seems to? The fact that dogs don't have lips doesn't seem to stop them either. Relating this to Tenka, maybe he should have gotten this strange ability instead of mind powers, or at least giving a new ability to a new character. I also sometimes skip the narrator's text or some speech bubbles because of how repetitive it can get with explaining things, but I enjoyed it until now, and will be keeping up as it progresses!
man-faced dog
right dog is made by CantaloupeFish, left dog is unknown publisher magazine
:rocket: :jet: :missile: :luke:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

OMG I never commented here before!!
I love GDWO so much! It's probably my 2nd of 1st fav of the series (tying with GNG). It feels like a whole new part of the world, but still with Ginga lore behind it. You meet so many new dogs, new stories, and relationships feel meaningful. We don't even get a 2D generic villain. We have multiple villains with various paths they take throughout the series. I don't feel bored while reading basically any plot point, despite there being so many different views in this series.
It feels a bit underrated in the fandom. I feel like if the oldies got killed off, this would be a good start to a new chapter of the next generation... but when you pile on all the old characters ontop of all the new guys, that's its biggest down side :/

ImageImage

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion”