General Opinions on GDW:O

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Re: General Opinions on GDW:O

Post by Wolpard »

Dragon wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:38 pm OMG I never commented here before!!
I love GDWO so much! It's probably my 2nd of 1st fav of the series (tying with GNG). It feels like a whole new part of the world, but still with Ginga lore behind it. You meet so many new dogs, new stories, and relationships feel meaningful. We don't even get a 2D generic villain. We have multiple villains with various paths they take throughout the series. I don't feel bored while reading basically any plot point, despite there being so many different views in this series.
It feels a bit underrated in the fandom. I feel like if the oldies got killed off, this would be a good start to a new chapter of the next generation... but when you pile on all the old characters ontop of all the new guys, that's its biggest down side :/
I agree, I think GDW:O has some great villains! I'm also a big Masashige stan so....
I think it being underrated has a lot to do with it never being adapted into anime, since theres a big chunk of the fandom thats anime only. I think GDW:O would make for a great anime but I'm not that hopeful especially since the later half of GDW is missing in anime form.

But yeah the oldies stuff was messed up on Yoshi's part since the beginning of GDW. Why the heck did he make the timeskip between GNG and GDW so long? If it wasnt so damn long I dont think people would have as big of an issue with oldies being around in later series like GDW:O. :yama1:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Wolpard wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 am
Dragon wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:38 pm OMG I never commented here before!!
I love GDWO so much! It's probably my 2nd of 1st fav of the series (tying with GNG). It feels like a whole new part of the world, but still with Ginga lore behind it. You meet so many new dogs, new stories, and relationships feel meaningful. We don't even get a 2D generic villain. We have multiple villains with various paths they take throughout the series. I don't feel bored while reading basically any plot point, despite there being so many different views in this series.
It feels a bit underrated in the fandom. I feel like if the oldies got killed off, this would be a good start to a new chapter of the next generation... but when you pile on all the old characters ontop of all the new guys, that's its biggest down side :/
I agree, I think GDW:O has some great villains! I'm also a big Masashige stan so....
I think it being underrated has a lot to do with it never being adapted into anime, since theres a big chunk of the fandom thats anime only. I think GDW:O would make for a great anime but I'm not that hopeful especially since the later half of GDW is missing in anime form.

But yeah the oldies stuff was messed up on Yoshi's part since the beginning of GDW. Why the heck did he make the timeskip between GNG and GDW so long? If it wasnt so damn long I dont think people would have as big of an issue with oldies being around in later series like GDW:O. :yama1:
That's a good point :tfw_orion1: I wonder how theyd be able to pull off GDWO if they ever made it into an anime. If I think about it.. maybe not? but... Joe is important, but didnt show up in GDW anime. Uhmmm.... wow, is that all? Is everything else explainable? Maybe they sacrifice Joe's role with GB since he dies in GDW and this would be an easy way to make him gone but still being important.
I guess we would also need scenes of Koyuki and Kotetsu too. Jerome being dead and Lydia's kids don't matter since they never play importance. Hiro's kids could just take up their scenes. ...Yeah! This could actually happen!

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Dragon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 am That's a good point :tfw_orion1: I wonder how theyd be able to pull off GDWO if they ever made it into an anime. If I think about it.. maybe not? but... Joe is important, but didnt show up in GDW anime. Uhmmm.... wow, is that all? Is everything else explainable? Maybe they sacrifice Joe's role with GB since he dies in GDW and this would be an easy way to make him gone but still being important.
I guess we would also need scenes of Koyuki and Kotetsu too. Jerome being dead and Lydia's kids don't matter since they never play importance. Hiro's kids could just take up their scenes. ...Yeah! This could actually happen!
tbh if GDWO ever ended up getting made into anime, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done by a different company because the GDW anime was made well over a decade ago. So they wouldn't have to worry about continuity between the two adaptations, similarly to the situation with the GNG and GDW animes.

Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Digsu wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 am
Dragon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 am That's a good point :tfw_orion1: I wonder how theyd be able to pull off GDWO if they ever made it into an anime. If I think about it.. maybe not? but... Joe is important, but didnt show up in GDW anime. Uhmmm.... wow, is that all? Is everything else explainable? Maybe they sacrifice Joe's role with GB since he dies in GDW and this would be an easy way to make him gone but still being important.
tbh if GDWO ever ended up getting made into anime, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done by a different company because the GDW anime was made well over a decade ago. So they wouldn't have to worry about continuity between the two adaptations, similarly to the situation with the GNG and GDW animes.
TBH I still feel our best bet for a GDW:O anime (and onwards) would be a total Ginga reboot and thats pretty unlikely :tfw_sirius5:
Sketch-San

Post by Sketch-San »

Digsu wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 am
Can confirm the lack of continuity because while scripting for the GDW English dub they had some WEIRD ass inconsistencies. For example in episode 13 Tesshin mentions that he has to stay with the Koga elder as a returned favor for allowing him and his father to go to Ohu once... nevermind the fact that this literally never happened.

Either that or it was a fuckup on the weird ASD subtitles, idk
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Sketch-San wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:47 am
Digsu wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 am tbh if GDWO ever ended up getting made into anime, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done by a different company because the GDW anime was made well over a decade ago. So they wouldn't have to worry about continuity between the two adaptations, similarly to the situation with the GNG and GDW animes.
Can confirm the lack of continuity because while scripting for the GDW English dub they had some WEIRD ass inconsistencies. For example in episode 13 Tesshin mentions that he has to stay with the Koga elder as a returned favor for allowing him and his father to go to Ohu once... nevermind the fact that this literally never happened.

Either that or it was a fuckup on the weird ASD subtitles, idk
I think this was once brought up in the GDW bombs topic and Fanta confirmed that is exactly what's being said.

In general the GDW anime seems to occupy its own weird bubble unrelated to the rest of the Ginga canon because of all the shortcuts they had to make when adapting the story. And honestly I don't mind that because in the grand scheme of things "let's just make up some bullshit to tie the story of our adaptation together" is probably better than "we'll cut some stuff out but leave the rest completely intact so you'll have to check out the original material anyway to understand it, totally missing the point of creating an adaptation in the first place".

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Because of that phrase Tesshin said about elder, my long-time headcanon was that the fat pup from GNG was indeed the same dog as Tesshin. I was so happy when I first found out that that is canonically Tesshin! xD
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
kahooton
Comrade
Comrade

Post by kahooton »

I JUST finished GDW:O like last night and boy do I have a lot to say about it.

Honestly if I were to rate it I would give it an 8/10
I really liked this otherwordly aura with the Ohu army being gone, it was sorta scary in the beginning how they all just disappear and kurohabaki starts to rise up. I enjoyed all of the new characters, as well as the returning ones like Tesshin, Sasuke, and Izo. It felt like we got to explore their arcs a bit more as we learned about Orion, however at times I got annoyed with his savior complex and Siruis insisting that he's doing the right thing by being with the kamakiri bros. Other than that the story was really interesting and all of the new characters didn't seem so dull compared to some other ones!
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

kahooton wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:24 pm I JUST finished GDW:O like last night and boy do I have a lot to say about it.

I really liked this otherwordly aura with the Ohu army being gone, it was sorta scary in the beginning how they all just disappear and kurohabaki starts to rise up. I enjoyed all of the new characters, as well as the returning ones like Tesshin, Sasuke, and Izo. It felt like we got to explore their arcs a bit more as we learned about Orion, however at times I got annoyed with his savior complex and Siruis insisting that he's doing the right thing by being with the kamakiri bros. Other than that the story was really interesting and all of the new characters didn't seem so dull compared to some other ones!
Wait, you read ALL of it? In English? Or you mean Japanese?
As far as I know only up to volume 26 GDWO is translated.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
kahooton
Comrade
Comrade

Post by kahooton »

Kaiken wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:49 pm
kahooton wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:24 pm I JUST finished GDW:O like last night and boy do I have a lot to say about it.

Wait, you read ALL of it? In English? Or you mean Japanese?
As far as I know only up to volume 26 GDWO is translated.
I should have been more clear here LOL, I read what was translated and more or less knew what happened after that to piece the rest of it together from the other scans floating around :tfw_rigel3:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Agreed! I love that Yoshi made the oldies go away so we can learn more about some of the newer characters' personalities (like Izou and his bros) while meeting new people. I feel like this should happen more often. Old characters gone, but with new characters to make more developed.
Haha, in GDWO, I didn't mind Sirius's siding with the baddies. He's a puppy and they kept him alive, and with the kind of heart Weed had (who cared about GB despite him being a coward who was always ready to abandon people), I kept it was a new, interesting take on that character trait O: But that's just my take on it. I hate that Sirius ditches Kamakiri in TLW over Monsoon after all of it.

ImageImage
kahooton
Comrade
Comrade

Post by kahooton »

Dragon wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:59 pm

Agreed! I love that Yoshi made the oldies go away so we can learn more about some of the newer characters' personalities (like Izou and his bros) while meeting new people. I feel like this should happen more often. Old characters gone, but with new characters to make more developed.
Haha, in GDWO, I didn't mind Sirius's siding with the baddies. He's a puppy and they kept him alive, and with the kind of heart Weed had (who cared about GB despite him being a coward who was always ready to abandon people), I kept it was a new, interesting take on that character trait O: But that's just my take on it. I hate that Sirius ditches Kamakiri in TLW over Monsoon after all of it.
Yeah!! I sorta feel the same. I didn’t necessarily hate it but it just annoyed me when he kept going back to Kamakiri only to get beat up while Orion was like ??? Hey dude you good??
Akakama had a really good arc though! He as well as Masashige had really interesting arcs that made you hate their guts in the beginning, and love them in the end. At least that’s how I felt anyways heh :EXCITE:
Nerdykestrel74
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nerdykestrel74 »

I finally finished reading what's been translated of GDWO last week and most of my opinions are similar to Dragons. Thought it's tied with GDW as my favorite personally. I also really liked how Sirius basically adopted Weed's pacifism, but the story did something new and interesting with it. Sirius is on the bad guys side, but he is aware that what the villains are doing is wrong and hopes that his kindness and compassion will help turn them good. Which it did in the case of Akakama, who became one of my favorite characters :bon1:

EDIT: Also, on the topic of a GDWO anime: I feel like they'd just have to pull a Black Butler season 3 and act like what happened in the previous series didn't matter
Akakama my beloved <3 :akakama:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Nerdykestrel74 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:32 am I also really liked how Sirius basically adopted Weed's pacifism, but the story did something new and interesting with it. Sirius is on the bad guys side, but he is aware that what the villains are doing is wrong and hopes that his kindness and compassion will help turn them good. Which it did in the case of Akakama, who became one of my favorite characters :bon1:
YESSSS This entirely. 100% :tfw_bella2:

ImageImage
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Found this cute picture of Weed and Orion. too bad a few chapters later, Weed beats him :C

ImageImage
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

Haven't read it 100% but most of it and I very much liked it. Masamune is my second favourite villain in the series, really liked Kenshin too and Bon was funny. I thought old characters were pretty much like they should be. Orion didn't really have any character development and was annoying, Yamabiko was underwhelming and didn't do as much as I thought he would but he was still a pup so I guess it's ok.
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

Decided during the past few days to actually sit down and read GDWO for the first time since I've only really read the first couple of chapters and the part of the final battle, and I thought I've give a "first impressions" so far:

- Went in expecting it to be leagues better than TLW and GDN and I was right (although the parts with Sirius are reaaaaaaally trying my patience, I'll rant about him later)

:orion:
SPOILER
:rigel:
SPOILER
:sirius:
SPOILER
So, in summary, Orion's arc is really interesting for the most part, it's a bit flawed and there's shit that I'd definately change in my own universe, but so far, it's got me interested even though I know it'll be a while before Masamune finally dies.

Rigel is shit, Sirius is shit (fucking who would've guessed), and the only reason I didn't talk about Bella is because we already know she doesn't mean shit to Yoshi so it's not worth going into. That's what AUs are for :orion3:

If you enjoyed my rambling then be sure to keep an eye out when I continue the rest of what's been translated

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion”