Ginga: The Last Wars SPOILER THREAD

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: The Last Wars.
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Ginga: The Last Wars SPOILER THREAD

Post by Atha »

Dragon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:26 am -Orion is now faster than Rocket... a breed and character known for his speed ... no.
It was only a matter of time... now NO ONE has a defining skill because Orion has acquired them all and perfected them.
icon by azzai
Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

Let's say Rocket just wasn't interested in pursuing such a dumbass as Orion.
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Aw everyone's hating Orion now... :(
Sure he's a bit OP, but I think that's really cool. Wasn't Ginga ALWAYS about superhero akitas (that is until nerdy Weedo came)? I think it's really exciting to follow how far Orion can push the boundaries and what awesome foe will he defeat next/what epic skill he'll achieve next!
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Kaiken wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:29 pm Aw everyone's hating Orion now... :(
Sure he's a bit OP, but I think that's really cool. Wasn't Ginga ALWAYS about superhero akitas (that is until nerdy Weedo came)? I think it's really exciting to follow how far Orion can push the boundaries and what awesome foe will he defeat next/what epic skill he'll achieve next!
I've always wanted to give Orion the benefit of the doubt, but it's just... a bit bothersome at this point @_@ His attitude is one thing, I can handle that.
And while I can't defend Gin because he's pretty guilty of Orion's crime, minus the hotheaded temper, Weed was probably the better written of the three.
Weed, like Orion, was a skilled, stubborn pup with a heart of gold and knew no fear if it meant doing what he believed was right. However, Weed didn't ENTIRELY overshadow every character in his series. Rocket was known for his speed, Jerome was known for his fighting, GB was the tracker, Hiro was known for his strength, Tesshin was the ninja. Weed was the kind hearted leader that valued everyone and did everything he could for the sake of others.

What can you tell me that Orion has that makes him different from his friends? ....Andy is.. .. uh .. Yamabiko ... uhmm... ...Bon ... can swim for long. ...That's it. Even compared to the vets, like Akame and Izou and the others, Orion has every skill his friends and comrades have but BETTER. And if he doesn't? Doesn't matter, because he'll still handle it alone. No one has a chance to shine. No one can teach Orion something he doesn't already know is right. He won't listen to you no matter who you are. He will do it his way and he WILL be successful, even if it's the most immature, rash, irresponsible way of doing it. He's ALWAYS right.
Although Gin was similar to Orion in his pup age, I feel like we can still appreciate other characters for who they are, so we could ignore the fact Gin was an OP character. However, no one else has the spot like in TLW besides Orion and Sirius... so that element is gone.

And even poor Sirius is more beaten down than Orion, which I know has to be the point, but it makes OP god Orion even harder of a protagonist to appreciate. As a pup, it's a little easier to enjoy, but he's grown now and it's just irritating now. I really wanted to like Orion, and I like him in GDWO, but here.... not really u_u

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Dragon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:26 am -Orion is now faster than Rocket... a breed and character known for his speed ... no.
Weed already did the "outspeeding Rocket for plot reasons" thing back in the hybrids arc. Back then it was excused as "Rocket can only reach his full speed out in the open and Weed could outspeed him in the dense forest", which admittedly makes slightly more sense than "his feet got caught in the snow" since him and his speed were introduced in an arc that literally took place in the dead of winter.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Digsu wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:06 am
Weed already did the "outspeeding Rocket for plot reasons" thing back in the hybrids arc. Back then it was excused as "Rocket can only reach his full speed out in the open and Weed could outspeed him in the dense forest", which admittedly makes slightly more sense than "his feet got caught in the snow" since him and his speed were introduced in an arc that literally took place in the dead of winter.
I thought in that Hybrid scene, it was the fact that Weed could keep up with Rocket, not outrun him. I'll have to relook XD

BUT I KNOW RIGHT?! Rocket's intro is literally this environment and hes struggling? Yeahokay.

ImageImage
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

The first time Rocket brothers were introduced were with line ''What a speed! Could it be Akame's coming?'' by Ben, suggesting that ninja dogs (Akame, Tesshin, Gin and Orion) do have the superior speed.

Also, Andy's special talent is looking like John. xD
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

If only they'd gifted Orion some compassion 😂 ah well, still nice to see that the old dogs care about the loss of a young pack member, and a grandson at that.
:akame:
Known as ep or eraserplains, active on Bluesky and Tumblr
Eclipse-Wolven
Legend
Legend

Post by Eclipse-Wolven »

Dragon wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:19 am I've always wanted to give Orion the benefit of the doubt, but it's just... a bit bothersome at this point @_@ His attitude is one thing, I can handle that.
And while I can't defend Gin because he's pretty guilty of Orion's crime, minus the hotheaded temper, Weed was probably the better written of the three.
Weed, like Orion, was a skilled, stubborn pup with a heart of gold and knew no fear if it meant doing what he believed was right. However, Weed didn't ENTIRELY overshadow every character in his series. Rocket was known for his speed, Jerome was known for his fighting, GB was the tracker, Hiro was known for his strength, Tesshin was the ninja. Weed was the kind hearted leader that valued everyone and did everything he could for the sake of others.

What can you tell me that Orion has that makes him different from his friends? ....Andy is.. .. uh .. Yamabiko ... uhmm... ...Bon ... can swim for long. ...That's it. Even compared to the vets, like Akame and Izou and the others, Orion has every skill his friends and comrades have but BETTER. And if he doesn't? Doesn't matter, because he'll still handle it alone. No one has a chance to shine. No one can teach Orion something he doesn't already know is right. He won't listen to you no matter who you are. He will do it his way and he WILL be successful, even if it's the most immature, rash, irresponsible way of doing it. He's ALWAYS right.
Although Gin was similar to Orion in his pup age, I feel like we can still appreciate other characters for who they are, so we could ignore the fact Gin was an OP character. However, no one else has the spot like in TLW besides Orion and Sirius... so that element is gone.

And even poor Sirius is more beaten down than Orion, which I know has to be the point, but it makes OP god Orion even harder of a protagonist to appreciate. As a pup, it's a little easier to enjoy, but he's grown now and it's just irritating now. I really wanted to like Orion, and I like him in GDWO, but here.... not really u_u
This right here is the most perfect way of describing my feelings towards this series' writing that I've ever seen. Standing ovation for you.

Virtually none of the characters that were important in GDWO have had a chance to shine and come into their own. None. I was genuinely curious and excited to see what they would do with Yamabiko, Andy, Bon, Rigel, etc. but instead they've given them virtually nothing to do this whole time. Why bother when Orion can do everything better than everyone? The other characters might as well be invisible for all they're contributing to the story at this point.
Banner by Kairi292 & Avatar by Kasi

My stories (on FF.net):
Ginga Densetsu Weed: Dark Legend
The Chronicles Of Ohu

For he today who sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother...
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Eclipse-Wolven wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:52 pm This right here is the most perfect way of describing my feelings towards this series' writing that I've ever seen. Standing ovation for you.

Virtually none of the characters that were important in GDWO have had a chance to shine and come into their own. None. I was genuinely curious and excited to see what they would do with Yamabiko, Andy, Bon, Rigel, etc. but instead they've given them virtually nothing to do this whole time. Why bother when Orion can do everything better than everyone? The other characters might as well be invisible for all they're contributing to the story at this point.
Thanks!
I know :c It's sad, because I really really have been curious of Andy and Yamabiko but as GDWO gets closer to the end, the more I'm realizing there isn't really anything to them...
I wanted to genuinely like adult Yamabiko without just liking him for his looks, but even as an adult, he's doing nothing.
I can only hope the next arc Yoshi does dives back into characters again.

ImageImage
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

You can kinda feel Yoshi is tired of writing Ginga.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Wolpard wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:42 am You can kinda feel Yoshi is tired of writing Ginga.
Yeah ;; and I get that. He's been working on it for EVER.
I would not mind at all if he made a new dog universe with new lore, new armies and characters and location. I wouldn't mind at all! He deserve to start anew and take a break from this bloodline of akitas. I just worry his editors would never let that happen... x_x

ImageImage
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Dragon wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:47 pm
Wolpard wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:42 am You can kinda feel Yoshi is tired of writing Ginga.
I would not mind at all if he made a new dog universe with new lore, new armies and characters and location. I wouldn't mind at all! He deserve to start anew and take a break from this bloodline of akitas. I just worry his editors would never let that happen... x_x
oh man it would be SO COOL if he made something similar in a totally new location.
Even cooler if he used different animals. IIRC he originally wanted to write about other animals too like lions. What if we had a Ginga-esque lion story?
JiiJoo
Recruit
Recruit

Post by JiiJoo »

My first post here, I finally can stop stalking :,)

But I agree, Poor yoshi had been working for ginga for like over a decade? he is probably really bored of writing It which is really sad considering TLW had a great start but then ended up being super repetitive.
Guess his editors ran out of Ideas :surprisegin:

In the end TLW seem to be a one big disappointment, all this lost potential (like Hiro's kids) and other stuff others already pointed out.
:bon: :bella: :maxim: :lydia: :aram: :pinkdragon:
*Insert Intresting something*
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

JiiJoo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:14 pm My first post here, I finally can stop stalking :,)

But I agree, Poor yoshi had been working for ginga for like over a decade? he is probably really bored of writing It which is really sad considering TLW had a great start but then ended up being super repetitive.
Guess his editors ran out of Ideas :surprisegin:

In the end TLW seem to be a one big disappointment, all this lost potential (like Hiro's kids) and other stuff others already pointed out.
Welcome to GingaBoard! :DD

Yoshi has actually been writing Ginga since 1983, I think anyone can sympathise with how thoroughly fed up he must be after over 35 years of churning out a series, most likely not out of passion, but because his publishers kept demanding it. From what I've heard, the life of a mangaka is a strenuous one. Credit where credit is due to him at this point in his career, since he is now 65. |:O
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Dragon wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:47 pm
I'm a bit conflicted about this idea tbh. On the one hand, an all-new universe with all-new lore would definitely be a breath of fresh air at this point. On the other hand, though, creating so much new lore from scratch would most likely be a long and difficult process, and I really hope this new project of his isn't a full-length 20+ volume series. Like Shining Sirius said, he's been at this for over thirty years by now, the man really deserves to retire already.

Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

I do wonder about the gap between GNG and GDW: why did he resume the series in the late 90s?
I also wonder, is the publisher's pressure that strong for such a niche series? Could it be more about a personal pressure, like he couldn't get enough money just from royalties for the original Ginga anymore?
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Flanoir wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:34 am I do wonder about the gap between GNG and GDW: why did he resume the series in the late 90s?
I also wonder, is the publisher's pressure that strong for such a niche series? Could it be more about a personal pressure, like he couldn't get enough money just from royalties for the original Ginga anymore?
In an interview in White Lotus (which was translated in the Finnish version) Takahashi says that at one point he had exhausted all ideas he had and was ready to retire. Then he thought about continuing Ginga as there were things yet to explore in that series. Takahashi knew that sequels were usually not successful, but since he was ready to retire anyway, he was willing to take the risk. So he started doing GDW, and the rest is history.

So in short, starting GDW was his idea. But who knows how much he has to say for still continuing the series.
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

Haven't had much energy to translate, but here's chapter 166
https://fantasscans.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... r-166.html
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Thanks for all the hard work Fanta! Tis appreciated. Dont push yourself too much!

Return to “Ginga: The Last Wars”