Ginga: The Last Wars SPOILER THREAD

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: The Last Wars.
Eclipse-Wolven
Legend
Legend

Re: Ginga: The Last Wars SPOILER THREAD

Post by Eclipse-Wolven »

I'm trying really really hard not to go on a huge rant about all this (seriously, I could write a thesis paper about it at this point) so I'll just leave it at the following:

1. Thank you so much to the translators for your dedication and hard work. Really appreciated.
2. This may be the worst written series I've ever seen.
Banner by Kairi292 & Avatar by Kasi

My stories (on FF.net):
Ginga Densetsu Weed: Dark Legend
The Chronicles Of Ohu

For he today who sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother...
Rusty
Victor
Victor

Post by Rusty »

Damn..that ending was so severe my neck hurts. Such a shame. Seems like it was building to a brilliant climax and then....it just ends. Such a shame.

Thank you translators for all your hard work <3 <3 <3
icon by dolan
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Akame wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:19 am
make your mind up, kiddo! also, VERY annoyed at Weed through this whole series since he's done next to nothing, especially compared to Gin the rickety old man-- but I'm really annoyed at him saying he can't value any one of his kids over the others EXCEPT UHMM what about when you straight up wanted to evict Sirius from the pack? wouldn't that have endangered his life?
I agree

I forgot to mention it in my first post but this was so annoying?? Weed straight up banished Sirius, his own son, and made no attempts at all to try and understand where he was coming from, no attempts at some kind of compromise or discussion, nothing at all. How did he think that was going to help anything?

I’m still up for the Cyborg Weed or replacement Weed joke/theory people came up with from when he first got hurt by Monsoon at the beginning :derpgin:
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Banners by me and Sandatora!
Kiska

Post by Kiska »

Can we all please pause for a moment of silence...for Rigel! Was he even featured at all in the last chapter? He loved Sirius, it’s a shame he wasn’t in that last panel to mourn his brother. I think he would have given a moving speech about the whole situation, possibly admonishing Orion for his rashness but also telling everyone it’s time to move forward and leave grudges in the past to honor Sirius.

Side note: Looking forward to Noah, but the series I really want would be what happened to the forgotten characters (Koyuki, Bella, Reika her kids, and Tonov) during this ~6 month Ohu training. Bella could become the full bear-dog she’s capable of being. Reika could spend the months reminiscing about Hiro and how they’ll resume their lives together once Ohu has won (only to be told the truth and be heartbroken). The Adventures of Hiro’s kids featuring Tonov etc.

And what’s Weed going to tell Koyuki?
Weed: Hi honey, sorry I abandoned you for so long but uh...some stuff happened......good news is we won! Bad news uh Sirius died, but we have a new son now.
(Enter Orion with his sickle), Orion: I love Sickle, Sickle is new bro now.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Gotta agree on the disappointment of not showing Rigel enough. We all know Yoshi abuses Bella's character (because she's female... of course) but Yoshi never really did anything with Rigel either. He was just... there (or not, in the case of these last chapters). You know its bad when the comedic spinoff (TFW) does a better job at giving your own character actual personality traits other than "third wheel".
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

That's so sad the serie went down like that.. I just started to read Orion in english, and it shows in beginning that he really cared about Izou and his siblings.. But not his own brother Sirius?? Why..
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Wolpard wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:28 pm Gotta agree on the disappointment of not showing Rigel enough. We all know Yoshi abuses Bella's character (because she's female... of course) but Yoshi never really did anything with Rigel either. He was just... there (or not, in the case of these last chapters). You know its bad when the comedic spinoff (TFW) does a better job at giving your own character actual personality traits other than "third wheel".
Rigel did have his own character arc in GDWO, even though he got less focus than Orion and Sirius. He was raised and taught to fight by Terumune, he learned the Ningatou of the Kurohabaki rather than the Battouga of his family, and he was responsible for freeing the old Ohu soldiers while Orion and Sirius were busy dealing with Masamune himself.

...And then TLW threw all that character development right out the window to turn him into another pointless background character while Orion and Sirius hogged the spotlight. Didn't he get to use the Ningatou all of once before everyone decided that fangs are so last season and bamboo sticks is where it's at?

Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

Kiska wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:21 pmI think he would have given a moving speech about the whole situation [...] telling everyone it’s time to move forward and leave grudges in the past to honor Sirius.
I would love for this to happen :sigh: I actually hadn't noticed Rigel was missing in this last stretch- guess I'm just as bad as Yoshi LOL
avatar drawn by my friend YerLakar on twitter
sorry for my infrequent visits! am working on it
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Digsu wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:12 pm
Wolpard wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:28 pm Gotta agree on the disappointment of not showing Rigel enough. We all know Yoshi abuses Bella's character (because she's female... of course) but Yoshi never really did anything with Rigel either. He was just... there (or not, in the case of these last chapters). You know its bad when the comedic spinoff (TFW) does a better job at giving your own character actual personality traits other than "third wheel".
Rigel did have his own character arc in GDWO, even though he got less focus than Orion and Sirius. He was raised and taught to fight by Terumune, he learned the Ningatou of the Kurohabaki rather than the Battouga of his family, and he was responsible for freeing the old Ohu soldiers while Orion and Sirius were busy dealing with Masamune himself.

...And then TLW threw all that character development right out the window to turn him into another pointless background character while Orion and Sirius hogged the spotlight. Didn't he get to use the Ningatou all of once before everyone decided that fangs are so last season and bamboo sticks is where it's at?
Yeah I meant for TLW. He showed up for a bit to go after Sirius and thats really it. :/
Last edited by Wolpard on Thu May 30, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bambalui

Post by Bambalui »

Ye, i agree 100%, we get to see to so little of Rigel overall that i was just itching for him to have at least some lines in the last chapters but there’s not even a mention of him. His character just been sent completly down the drain, even the side characters like mel and sasuke get more time than him. Usch a Shame. Rigel the only forgotten and unimportant Akita descendent on the manga
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

I wonder why that is? /Is/ it because he's not as popular as the other two? Or does Yoshihiro just not care to include him as much?

It would have been interesting to have Rigel included more, considering he welcomed Chibi to Ohu and didn't have too much of an issue with him iirc? You would think that something like that would be important enough for him to at least get a few more words in on his thoughts about what Sirius' goals are and having his brother ultimately die. Hopefully in GDN we can get more from him, especially considering in GDN Orion is gone now.
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Banners by me and Sandatora!
Bambalui

Post by Bambalui »

Also someone wrote that Rigel was not as good with the sickle as Orion, did we even get to see him use that move in TLW?
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Bambalui wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:11 pm Also someone wrote that Rigel was not as good with the sickle as Orion, did we even get to see him use that move in TLW?
I'm pretty sure he was one of the dogs practising with bamboo sticks back then. iirc he was actually better at it than most of the other dogs because of Bearhound Power™, but not quite as good as Orion.

Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Thank you for translations! Great work!!

Still so sad how they treated poor Sirius... No reactions to his death.. That's so bad, not well done. :// can't help but feel sorry for Monsoon too.
Ughh...
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

If this ending would have had a bit more time, just 2-3 chapters or even one complete book, I think it would have been the best and the darkest Ginga-ending. The story would have just needed bit more time to work properly.

One thing also crossed my mind: maybe Takahashi could not handle killing the characters? This happens every now and then with artist: in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 5 one character was just simply left on beach as originally his role was to be turn against his frineds and to be killed. In Harry Potter Ron Weasley's father was supposed to die, but Rowling couldn't kill him. Takahashi has killed lot of characters, but he also said that he cried when he was drawing the death of Benizakura. Maybe he liked Monsoon and Sirius and didn't want them to die, but also saw that it was only way to end the story.

I think what Orion meant with his speak was that priorities were:
1. Kill Monsoon.
2. Save Sirius.
3. Try to help Orion.

Oh, boy did I hate Orion in these chapters. I think the speech he gave was supposed to make him sound better person, but he was just horrble. He is aware that Monsoon was changing and that he was going against Ouu's rules etc, but he still continued cutting Monsoon. wtf. I have met so many people like this in work: first they fight as hard as they can to get something they want and when they get their way, they leave the mess for someone else to clean.

Orion is officially a politician and/or corrupted business man.
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Finally caught up with the early volumes Fanta has recently translated. I had read the first few chapters and then there was a gap for me until the big fight where we thought Akame had gotten blinded.

So now that I have read all the first 50 chapters I can safely say I pretty much hated everyone except Sirius, Bob and Cross. Jerome being a shitty parent calling his inexperienced teenage sons to come and fight the giant bears in a suicide mission because "you were born a male". Unsai deciding to disciple Orion by beating him up (not to mention the following fight between them looked ridic). Unsai and Orion ready to kill Bob except from Sirius. At least Kyoushiro was actually decent, his character only when downhill after the bears died, and liked his friendship with Rocket better (than with Sasuke now being the Two Stooges). But overall I just ended up wanting the bears to kill those unpleasant characters.
icon by azzai
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I will try to sum up my opinion on Last Wars

Personally I don't think it ever got as suspenseful or shocking as the first few chapters and I don't get how we first started this as maybe being Gin's last adventure (like Logan, one last ride before saying goodbye) only for it to turn into a forgiveness vs violence plot-line which I don't think went anywhere as they still brutally murder Monsoon while he's trying to runaway. Sirius got really repetitive with his dialogue (seriously, take a drink every time he says 'if you just talk to him' or 'this isn't justice'!) and Orion, I will admit I liked better in this than his first appearance as he does develop character and admit he's no saint but I still found him to be a bit overpowered. Like when Akame took several years to master ninja skills and Orion does it in... days maybe? Akame himself seems to be just as indestructible as he heals no problem even though he left wounds untreated for days.

This also really undermines Weed's character as he turned from being the kindest character in the series to being the worst father in the series! He constantly dismisses Sirius and shows no emotion when he dies! Also he just looks like Gin without scars now and I am certainly not a fan of that new look. It also left many things not answered like where Reika and Koyuki went, what happened to Chibi and what happened with Gin's cataracts?

So in my opinion this is probably the most disappointing series from Ginga ever and I don't think I can see the Ohu army as the same fighters of justice and freedom again for the way they treated Sirius when he was literally dying in front of them!

Seriously, Orion, don't blame yourself for your brother's death, BLAME THE WHOLE ARMY! At least, you told them to help him but they just ignored your orders!
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Gingaddict wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:24 pm I will try to sum up my opinion on Last Wars

Personally I don't think it ever got as suspenseful or shocking as the first few chapters and I don't get how we first started this as maybe being Gin's last adventure (like Logan, one last ride before saying goodbye) only for it to turn into a forgiveness vs violence plot-line which I don't think went anywhere as they still brutally murder Monsoon while he's trying to runaway. Sirius got really repetitive with his dialogue (seriously, take a drink every time he says 'if you just talk to him' or 'this isn't justice'!) and Orion, I will admit I liked better in this than his first appearance as he does develop character and admit he's no saint but I still found him to be a bit overpowered. Like when Akame took several years to master ninja skills and Orion does it in... days maybe? Akame himself seems to be just as indestructible as he heals no problem even though he left wounds untreated for days.

This also really undermines Weed's character as he turned from being the kindest character in the series to being the worst father in the series! He constantly dismisses Sirius and shows no emotion when he dies! Also he just looks like Gin without scars now and I am certainly not a fan of that new look. It also left many things not answered like where Reika and Koyuki went, what happened to Chibi and what happened with Gin's cataracts?

So in my opinion this is probably the most disappointing series from Ginga ever and I don't think I can see the Ohu army as the same fighters of justice and freedom again for the way they treated Sirius when he was literally dying in front of them!

Seriously, Orion, don't blame yourself for your brother's death, BLAME THE WHOLE ARMY! At least, you told them to help him but they just ignored your orders!
That's pretty much my thoughts about TLW. A great premise wasted in depressing and repetitive revenge/forgiveness scandal plot. It starts so well and shows real potential to be the best sequel, but in volume 7 it starts to go downhill and by halfway it makes the fatal flaw which it never recovers from.

1) Endless Out of Character moments, including leads becoming unlikable and Flanderized (Flanderization) (Orion and Sirius both to an extent, but do have likable moments too) Gin and Weed emotionless mannequins

2) Morals learned in GNG and especially in GDW are forgotten of ignored totally, which makes especially Weed come off as a hypocrite.

3) Characters treating Orion as a leader and good one too, despite his toxic and volatile personality. He even shows shades of sexism towards Cross in one scene. Sirius isn't exactly much better, but he is not volatile and knows how to control his emotions unlike Orion.

4) Characters not giving a damn about Sirius being exiled (except Sasuke) and talking behind his back, which makes them petty and outright mean. In GDWO everyone are shocked and some even try to stop Orion from leaving. But towards Sirius, no one gives a damn. It shows how everyone suck up to Orion all the time.

5) And Sirius' death like you mentioned, no one listened to Orion about helping Sirius except Cross and once again shows that Orion is ultimately their priority, despite Weed refusing to prioritize.

6) a minor example, but Gin deciding that he's not gonna see Daisuke ever again before the last battle. It ruined their reunion and meaningful friendship in GDW. Hopefully he changed his mind after surviving the last battle, since he didn't expect to survive.

All in all TLW was the most disappointing and my least favorite sequel. GDN shall be better.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I really hope you're right but it's a bit of a slow burner right now if you ask me
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I chose to make my own summary and final thoughts and opinions on The Last Wars because I just gotta let it out.

I can’t believe all of that actually happened. I can’t believe that TLW progressed in the way that it ever so did.

Starting with Lydia’s death, I did not see it coming. I believe that she should not have died that quickly. She still had so much potential for more action and progression. But she was just very tearfully taken out of the picture because “there was nothing left for her” or “she doesn’t have any more roles,” which really pisses me off. Jerome should never have had his happiness with his wife and children destroyed like that. And the moment really made me cry from the outside and inside.

TLW could have been a better story if it weren’t for all the irritating flaws that it had. The biggest one...the war vs. peace plot, which Gingaddict and WolfKing talked about.

Yes I am aware that Orion was a real hotheaded madman in a lot of times throughout the story and did wrong things, but Sirius was the bigger problem. Not only he also did wrong things in this story, but he committed actions that caused more pain, trouble, and disaster. Starting with his sudden belief that Monsoon should be allowed to live despite the evil bear’s brutality and murderous mind.

I had mixed feelings about Sirius, but when he took the sickle and got away with it, it all went chaotic. At that point, I generally began to dislike Sirius more. Not only he caused Unsai to get injured after taking the sickle, but previously he was just sitting around not doing anything as if he didn’t have a care in the world. Like his mind was going blank.

Even worse, he still wanted to protect Monsoon and went so far to drag Shion along to put him in danger as a translator. Sirius should have gotten the point when Monsoon kept expressing his hatred for dogs and wanted to eat dogs. But Sirius never realized at all that Monsoon was a fucking bastard that no one should ever befriend, even if he had a conscience, which he absolutely did not. Monsoon didn’t even have that much goodness in his heart...but Sirius still wanted Monsoon and the Ou army to get along.

I know Sirius wasn’t exactly a villain but he looked or acted like a villain as this damn story went on. One example of it is that he said that he was through with the deaths of friends and allies...and he wanted the rest of the army to forget about them, like they were nothing?! Even before that, I was gradually disliking Sirius more. But in that moment, I was hating him even more for that because he was sounding like a villain. I was almost convinced that he wanted to side with Monsoon and completely betray the Ou army. I almost thought that he was going to turn into a villain.

And also Sirius saying that Monsoon was evil because dogs and humans killed Akakabuto and that they were to be blamed for it was just ridiculously bullshit. He even went as far as to say that the Ou army was the real evil, which was very asinine.

Even when he got the critical hit by Monsoon, that still didn’t make Sirius realize. Monsoon said that his arm went crazy. Really?! Like that son of a bitch’s arm moved on its own?! Yeah right! And Sirius bought into that?! How could he even fall for that?! There was exactly no way that anyone should stupidly fall for it! And yet, Sirius was not convinced because all he cared about was protecting and loving his big ass evil bear buddy rather than realizing that getting along with Monsoon was not the right idea.

I do admit that I find Sirius’s death pretty sad, but all of the wrong things that he did throughout TLW...all of his wrongdoings...are the reason why there is a part of me that does not feel bad for him. And I think he chose to die with Monsoon, even if the Ou army acted like a bitch and ignored Orion’s orders to help a dying Sirius at the end. And the army has not looked the same after all that.

I didn’t want to hate Sirius. I didn’t want to condemn him. I wanted him and Orion to keep their bond together as brothers. Develop with love together like many brothers should. But Sirius kept finding reasons for me to go against him. He had the power of kindness and executed it in a dreadful way. He also made a very large mistake by focusing too much on his light side and trying to expel a dark side when everyone has a light and dark side. And to me, it felt like Sirius got what he deserved because he brought it all on himself.

In the end, I do agree with Gingaddict and WolfKing. TLW was the most disappointing story in the whole Ginga series. It is my least favorite Ginga manga as well. When we thought that there would be more to this story, we are instead presented with an abrupt and bizarre ending that holds a high level of dullness. With that war/peace subplot, it forced the reader to pick a side, which I think is insane. TLW went from having a promising potential to being underwhelming...in a much painful development.

Sirius, you should’ve just stayed in the Akame Mountains.

OR

Yoshi, you shouldn’t have started this story to begin with.

GDN will be way better.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn

Return to “Ginga: The Last Wars”