Ginga: The Last Wars SPOILER THREAD

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: The Last Wars.
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Ginga: The Last Wars SPOILER THREAD

Post by Raki »

Thank you for this information!

Agree with you Akame, so sad. He should be proud of his work
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

SeiRen1012 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:20 am Actually, when I went to the autograph session held last year, Yoshihiro talked about the problem of the assistant.
Mainly about the salary.
Some people seem to have succeeded in making the transfer, but he says some are left.
It seemed that he could not stop the manga on that matter.

I will talk about whether it is popular in Japan. (Mainly Twitter)
It seems that there is a little recognition. (Dogs talk, dogs fight, etc.)
I do not know if it is popular.
There are many praise comments, and few people are skeptical or pointed out that the comics are ugly.

The person in charge thinks that what in the series is popular? What's popular?
Perhaps they are only looking at the series's name and book sales. (They should also hear criticism)

Many people are too long to read it all. There are many people who have interrupted (GNG reads but GDWO can not read, etc.)

As for the musical that will be held this year, it seems that more attention has been paid to performers than works.
Thanks for the info!
This is interesting to know about. Poor Takahashi
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

SeiRen1012 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:20 am There are many praise comments, and few people are skeptical or pointed out that the comics are ugly.
Aww, people think the art is ugly? I think the style has a lot of charm to it (especially earlier on).
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

Wolpard wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:34 pm
SeiRen1012 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:20 am There are many praise comments, and few people are skeptical or pointed out that the comics are ugly.
Aww, people think the art is ugly? I think the style has a lot of charm to it (especially earlier on).
I do think the art is very good. If you take a look at a manga like Attack On Titan, it looks way more rough and "amateurish" than Ginga does.

SeiRen1012
Recruit
Recruit

Post by SeiRen1012 »

Wolpard wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:34 pm
There is also a reputation for being highly artistic with regard to color pages.
Many people are looking forward to the cover and color pages of the magazine Goraku, which Yoshihiro drew.
However, Yoshihiro says, "If you draw an illustration on the front cover, a child who misunderstands may read this magazine," and for that reason, it is rare to draw a front cover or color page recently.
(It is true that some adult cartoons are on display, but some commented that Yoshihiro's picture is not something the child would read incorrectly.)

As a manga artist who is a professional, some people say that it is not good because it is complete.
As a manga artist, Yoshihiro and his assistants had to fix what they needed to fix.

I remembered something I forgot to say.
In Japan, many who say that they like Ginga are mainly looking at their favorite characters, and there are not many who pursue or read the contents of the story.
No matter what the character is doing, no matter how different it is from the previous work.
After all, Yoshihiro could not leave the main members (especially, Gin, Akame, Cross and Kurotora) from Ginga(especially GTLW).
(Criticism against killing, reason for the decline in popularity etc.)

The reason for continuing to be popular may be the reason why the characters appearing in the works are more likely than the works themselves.
Seiren
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

SeiRen1012 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:26 amThere is also a reputation for being highly artistic with regard to color pages.
Many people are looking forward to the cover and color pages of the magazine Goraku, which Yoshihiro drew.
However, Yoshihiro says, "If you draw an illustration on the front cover, a child who misunderstands may read this magazine," and for that reason, it is rare to draw a front cover or color page recently.
(It is true that some adult cartoons are on display, but some commented that Yoshihiro's picture is not something the child would read incorrectly.)

As a manga artist who is a professional, some people say that it is not good because it is complete.
As a manga artist, Yoshihiro and his assistants had to fix what they needed to fix.

I remembered something I forgot to say.
In Japan, many who say that they like Ginga are mainly looking at their favorite characters, and there are not many who pursue or read the contents of the story.
No matter what the character is doing, no matter how different it is from the previous work.
After all, Yoshihiro could not leave the main members (especially, Gin, Akame, Cross and Kurotora) from Ginga(especially GTLW).
(Criticism against killing, reason for the decline in popularity etc.)

The reason for continuing to be popular may be the reason why the characters appearing in the works are more likely than the works themselves.
Thank you for all this information! It's very fascinating to hear some insight from the Japanese side of fandom and how the things are going in Japan regarding Ginga series.
SaskedieJagerin
Adviser
Adviser

Post by SaskedieJagerin »

SeiRen1012 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:38 am I will write what I found out in the afterword.
The person in charge of Yoshihiro Takahashi said, "I can not finish such a popular work," and decided to continue the Ginga series.
The next work was confirmed to be the Ginga series, but the detailed contents and the start date are unknown.
In the next notice, there is a scene used in GTLW, and it is packed with this.
There are mainly Orion, Rigel, and Sirius, but I think that there is no possibility that Sirius will appear in the next work from the contents of Volume 22, except reminiscence and flashback.

Please feel free to ask anything!
This is great news, thank you!
And also thanks for all the others infos you've shared about how the comic is viewed in Japan! <3
The fact about how people find his art style ugly broke my heart :< in the beginning it was very unique and neat! Of course if you have to make things speeded up, you must sacrifice a very detailed art style in favor of a more hurried one...you can't make this a fault of Yoshi
SeiRen1012
Recruit
Recruit

Post by SeiRen1012 »

Additional information in Japan.

When VOl.22 was published, it seems that the responsibilities of manga miscellaneous works (such as mistakes in drawing) were increased as to people and companies who never let the author rest for a long time.

Whether it was a salary issue or not, Yoshihiro continued every week.
Some people say, why is Yoshihiro and the company intending to continue every week even if the comics are messy?
Some people complain, the mistakes of works and development and characters.
Even in pros and cons, Yoshihiro continued to work.

Reading Ginga weekly may be a pleasure for fans.
In fact, there is a voice of joy in the continuation of the series.

However, some people say that Yoshihiro may retire or need a long vacation.
I hope Yoshihiro will not be tired any more.
Some people do not want Ginkang to be worse than this.
There are various opinions in Japan, but I think that Yoshihiro should rest.
Seiren
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

SeiRen1012 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:31 am Additional information in Japan.

When VOl.22 was published, it seems that the responsibilities of manga miscellaneous works (such as mistakes in drawing) were increased as to people and companies who never let the author rest for a long time.

Some people say, why is Yoshihiro and the company intending to continue every week even if the comics are messy?

Thank you for this information!
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Yes, thank you for the info!

I really think Yoshihiro should rest too, if that is what’s needed. More Ginga at the expense of his well being or otherwise just isn’t worth it. I love Ginga a lot, but Yoshihiro’s health matters much more.
Last edited by Gingastar on Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Avatar by Kasi | Kin banner by Sandatora
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Gingastar wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:33 pm Yes, thank you for the info!

I really think Yoshihiro’s should rest too, if that is what’s needed. More Ginga at the expense of his well being or otherwise just isn’t worth it. I love Ginga a lot, but Yoshihiro’s health matters much more.
Couldn't said it better myself. As much as I would love side stories and more Ginga overall, if his health is the price? No. I rather be without more.
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

SeiRen1012 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:31 am Additional information in Japan.

Thank you so much for these posts, SeiRen. It's great to know the discussions that are going on over in Japan about the series and behind the scenes of Yoshi's work place too.
It's sad to know it's going so rocky, but I can't say I'm surprised.

ImageImage
Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

I think it's very difficult for us to understand how Japanese comics work. In western countries we are used how the books work: the author has a story and they write it. They have an idea and write it from the end to beginning.

With mangas it's completly different. If the story isn't popular, it will be cancelled or it will be changed. There is lot of series that were dramatically changed: Yu-Gi-Oh! wasn't about cardgames, Dragon Ball wasn't about fighting and Ginga wasn't about dogs. But the original stories weren't popular so they had to change them. And it's also very common that even if mangaka wants to quit series the publisher pressures them to continue. For example Toriyama wanted to end Dragon Ball at the end of Piccolo Jr saga, Freeza saga and at Cell saga, but had to continue it because fans and publisher asked for more. He even killed the main character, but still had to continue.

(Side note: if you want to see how much mangakas must change their work, I recommend reading Dragon Ball from Android/Cell saga. At the beginning Toriyama wanted Android's 19 and 20 be the villains, but editor (and fans) didn't like them. Then Toriyama created androids 16, 17 and 18, but he himself didn't like them as they were just brats and he ended up creating Cell. And after Cell saga ends, Toriyama wanted to end the story, but had to continue. He wanted make story about Gohan as crime fighter, but fans didn't like it so he had to bring fighting back. He also wanted to make Gohan the character who defeated the villain in the end but fans didn't like that either so he had to change that too... It's very interesting as the story is quite good and works despite that the whole time Toriyama just wanted to quite his job and no one knew what the villain of the story would be.)

And the fans reaction to Last Wars in Japan... It kinda feels that they are reading it the same way I'm reading Donald Duck or watching Simpsons. They are not super fun anymore, but if my favorite characters is there, I will check it out. And if my favorite would die, I would definetly wouldn't watch it anymore.
I think it's sad as I enjoy Ginga most when there is drama and characters die. I love the ending of the TLW as it was so dark and thought provoking. Only thing I don't like how it ended so fast. If there had been just few chapters more and we could have seen more of Sirius, Monsoon and Orion communicating and see the characters mourn for Sirius... It would have been great. I love the back cover because you can see so much emotions in Orion. He is sad about death of his brother, but at the same time he thinks he did the right thing. I would have loved to see how Orion handled the end: would he celebrate his victory or would he consider the battle meaningless as his brother had died.
Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

It really sucks that storymakers are essentially forced to change direction just to sell more works. Like, I understand why their bosses would want them to basically be 100% fanservice (come to think of it, Orion being like Riki in appearance and Monsoon being like Akakabuto was probably to do with that?) because that means fans will buy more of it - but at the expense of the original vision it really doesn't seem worth it at all. I understand that some if not most mangaka don't have a choice but to carry on and keep appealing to their bosses/the audience because if they stop then they will be out of a job! but it still sucks. Especially for folks like Akira Toriyama (I know that he retired and recently he has only provided some designs for Dragon Ball Super, the new Broly movie etc, consulted somewhat, and for the most part has been replaced by others like Toyataro) and Yoshihiro Takahashi who have been drawing and writing their mangas for so long and beyond where they would have liked to end it.
:akame:
Known as ep or eraserplains, active on Bluesky and Tumblr
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Akame wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:33 pm It really sucks that storymakers are essentially forced to change direction just to sell more works. Like, I understand why their bosses would want them to basically be 100% fanservice (come to think of it, Orion being like Riki in appearance and Monsoon being like Akakabuto was probably to do with that?) because that means fans will buy more of it - but at the expense of the original vision it really doesn't seem worth it at all. I understand that some if not most mangaka don't have a choice but to carry on and keep appealing to their bosses/the audience because if they stop then they will be out of a job! but it still sucks. Especially for folks like Akira Toriyama (I know that he retired and recently he has only provided some designs for Dragon Ball Super, the new Broly movie etc, consulted somewhat, and for the most part has been replaced by others like Toyataro) and Yoshihiro Takahashi who have been drawing and writing their mangas for so long and beyond where they would have liked to end it.

A very good point, but on the other side, if it weren't for publishers, we wouldn't even HAVE Ginga.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Akame wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:33 pm It really sucks that storymakers are essentially forced to change direction just to sell more works. Like, I understand why their bosses would want them to basically be 100% fanservice (come to think of it, Orion being like Riki in appearance and Monsoon being like Akakabuto was probably to do with that?) because that means fans will buy more of it - but at the expense of the original vision it really doesn't seem worth it at all. I understand that some if not most mangaka don't have a choice but to carry on and keep appealing to their bosses/the audience because if they stop then they will be out of a job! but it still sucks. Especially for folks like Akira Toriyama (I know that he retired and recently he has only provided some designs for Dragon Ball Super, the new Broly movie etc, consulted somewhat, and for the most part has been replaced by others like Toyataro) and Yoshihiro Takahashi who have been drawing and writing their mangas for so long and beyond where they would have liked to end it.

A very good point, but on the other side, if it weren't for publishers, we wouldn't even HAVE Ginga.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Kaiken wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:24 pmA very good point, but on the other side, if it weren't for publishers, we wouldn't even HAVE Ginga.
But what is more important - to let the artist express themselves and create a story like they want, or just please the fans?

A bit off-topic here, but as a comic artist myself, expressing myself through my art and writing the story in a way I want it to be is very important to me, and people don't have to like it - as long as it represents what is important to me, I feel successful and happy with my creation.
If I recall correctly, Takahashi have stated in an interview that he pretty much kept making comics about dogs because that's what people wanted. The question is: how happy Takahashi is in what he's created? Did he really want to make only dog comics?

We may not know the answer, but some things are very apparent: his art style has become more and more simple, and I've heard sone people saying how they hate Takahashi's style getting "worse" as the series go on. Your opinion may vary, but the style change to simpler is a fact. Is that just because Takahashi is older, or because he's too tired of drawing Ginga? Who knows.
Though he's been drawing dogs for 40 years so it makes sense for his style to get more simple as the time goes on :')
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

YamaDora wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:18 pm
Kaiken wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:24 pmA very good point, but on the other side, if it weren't for publishers, we wouldn't even HAVE Ginga.
But what is more important - to let the artist express themselves and create a story like they want, or just please the fans?

A bit off-topic here, but as a comic artist myself, expressing myself through my art and writing the story in a way I want it to be is very important to me, and people don't have to like it - as long as it represents what is important to me, I feel successful and happy with my creation.
If I recall correctly, Takahashi have stated in an interview that he pretty much kept making comics about dogs because that's what people wanted. The question is: how happy Takahashi is in what he's created? Did he really want to make only dog comics?

We may not know the answer, but some things are very apparent: his art style has become more and more simple, and I've heard sone people saying how they hate Takahashi's style getting "worse" as the series go on. Your opinion may vary, but the style change to simpler is a fact. Is that just because Takahashi is older, or because he's too tired of drawing Ginga? Who knows.
Though he's been drawing dogs for 40 years so it makes sense for his style to get more simple as the time goes on :')

Probably, but I'm thinking that maybe the japanese authors are seeing the job of comic creator not like we do (an artistic freedom), but as job where they simply draw whatever they're told. Kind of like a long-lasting commission?
Favorites:
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Kaiken wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:13 amProbably, but I'm thinking that maybe the japanese authors are seeing the job of comic creator not like we do (an artistic freedom), but as job where they simply draw whatever they're told. Kind of like a long-lasting commission?
"A long-lasting commission" is a very interesting angle to approach this situation.
But then again, at least in my opinion the manga industry as a whole needs some very big improvements. Like giving the artists more time to write and draw their stories - the current system (as far as I'm aware of) is just inhumane with the working hours, and many manga artists suffer from lack of sleep that greatly affect the quality of their work. Heck, I've even heard how some artists have died at fairly young age because they didn't get enough sleep while working on their comics for years.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

YamaDora wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:42 pm
Kaiken wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:13 amProbably, but I'm thinking that maybe the japanese authors are seeing the job of comic creator not like we do (an artistic freedom), but as job where they simply draw whatever they're told. Kind of like a long-lasting commission?
"A long-lasting commission" is a very interesting angle to approach this situation.
But then again, at least in my opinion the manga industry as a whole needs some very big improvements. Like giving the artists more time to write and draw their stories - the current system (as far as I'm aware of) is just inhumane with the working hours, and many manga artists suffer from lack of sleep that greatly affect the quality of their work. Heck, I've even heard how some artists have died at fairly young age because they didn't get enough sleep while working on their comics for years.
This is essentially the same type of issue some animation studios have. There is an animation union to help control this but companies also threaten to blacklist artists from other animation jobs if they don't do as they're told. This was a big issue in the film Sausage Party, where animators were overworked and on a project they didn't even want to be working on. Comics are a different situation in the West but mangakas seem to face similar issues some folks in the animation industry face..... sucks.

Return to “Ginga: The Last Wars”