Just say one good thing about GTLW:)

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: The Last Wars.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Just say one good thing about GTLW:)

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

This topic will probably include spoilers, so please, turn spoilers into spoilers:)

Pretty straight forward. I have heard so many negative things about GTLW, but NOW, I want some POSITIVE stuff!
Have a nice day!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Re: Just say one good thing about GTLW:)

Post by Wolpard »

Monsoon is an interesting enemy with a good and understandable motive- bears are also not as "mindless" and evil as they were before.
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Alright then

It has these tender moments with Gin and Daisuke, with Daisuke's parents having a few scenes with Gin too. Heartwarming as ever. Daisuke treating the other injured dogs and they show trust in him, which also is great. These scenes happen regularly throughout the story, though less as it nears the end.

It has a touching and really important subplot Where Sirius adopts a bear cub they name Chibi, and it's really good and gives some more depth and light into the story

Humans heroically helping the dogs against bears halfway into the story which echo the time when Gohei Takeda helped them. YES!

Monsoon as a villain is very complex and has a for change a valid reason for his rampage. His dialogue scenes are also intriguing even if they make him slightly less menacing.

Here are some moments
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Besides Monsoon being an interesting villain, I also like the concept of changing villains VS avenging friends/family. Peace VS War. Too many times do the characters fight over the top bad guys without thinking about how to change them or how to resolve issues more peaceful. Sirius forced there to be a way to do it, but in the end, didn't have enough time to successfully achieve it.

Also Chibi and the introduction to dogs learning about bear language and bears learning about dog language! I hope that gets brought back!

ImageImage
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

WolfKing wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:42 pm Alright then

It has these tender moments with Gin and Daisuke, with Daisuke's parents having a few scenes with Gin too. Heartwarming as ever. Daisuke treating the other injured dogs and they show trust in him, which also is great. These scenes happen regularly throughout the story, though less as it nears the end.
I'm glad to hear that Daisuke hasn't been messed up:) And I am also happy for the fact that Gin and Daisuke are having their moments in GTLW:) They are just so fantastic together:) I love them both.
Have a nice day!
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

I like Orion’s inner turmoil that occurred for a good portion of the story. Basically, Orion was entrusted with Ohu since the old guys were out of commission, and Akame and Gin both hammered it into his head that he had to stay at Ohu, no matter who decided to run off after Sirius. It was interesting because during those chapters, you really can see that Orion wants to be seen as worthy of the elders’ trust. He wants to show that he can be mature, but everyone around him just gives him nothing but doubt. Rigel lectures him and then immediately leaves while Orion is trying to explain his feelings (dick move, honestly), and Jyoushiro acted like a total jackass because Andy, Bon, and Yamabiko chose to leave. Then, there was the moment where Orion threw himself off a cliff, which I originally thought was him snapping under the pressure before Yoshi ruined it by having it just be Orion being super casual about freaking everyone out. I forget which chapters these are exactly, but honestly, they’re what made me see Orion as more than “the angry son” that people tend to generalize him as.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Some more:

-The opening part of TLW is so...strong. I felt that urgency and danger. It's not often Ginga really hits you hard with how serious something is but I felt it there.

-The slow reveal of the new gen's adult forms. it was so sweet to see everyone all grown up ;o; <3 especially Bon aaaa

ImageImage
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Well this is gonna be hard to do. But I’ll give it a shot since there are some positives. Let’s list some of them.
SPOILER
There. Now we got some positives. I hope you’re satisfied or pleased.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Spirit Tree wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:59 pm Well this is gonna be hard to do. But I’ll give it a shot since there are some positives. Let’s list some of them.
SPOILER
There. Now we got some positives. I hope you’re satisfied or pleased.
Even tho I am not gonna read the spoilers, then while I am writing this reply, I can see the amount of positive things you mentioned. 11 things is lovely:) I guess you could call me satisfied, even tho I haven't read the manga yet XD Honestly, call it whatever you want:)
Have a nice day!
Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

I think people are mostly negative about how the series ended and how the story didn't have good flow. Like in last 5 chapters there were filler battles, but then the last chapter has so much stuff in there. If you compare Noah & TLW, lot more people were interested in TLW and people had huge expectations for it and TLW didn't meet them. With Noah... At the beginning there was lot of quessing what the story would be about, but after that - very little.

TLW is my favorite story arc of the new Ginga series and third if you count them all (Hougen arc & Akakabuto arc are 1 & 2). The story has very powerful and emotional beginning, Monsoon is great villain and I like the moral battle between Orion and Sirius. Some parts of it are clumpsy (I can't help but hate Orion and Sirius both sometimes & the battle plans of the dogs... wtf), but I like how it is very different from previous stories and it allows readers to choose whose side they are. Not very many series do that: the villains are always evil even if their plan would make sense.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Uru wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:05 pm I think people are mostly negative about how the series ended and how the story didn't have good flow. Like in last 5 chapters there were filler battles, but then the last chapter has so much stuff in there. If you compare Noah & TLW, lot more people were interested in TLW and people had huge expectations for it and TLW didn't meet them. With Noah... At the beginning there was lot of quessing what the story would be about, but after that - very little.

TLW is my favorite story arc of the new Ginga series and third if you count them all (Hougen arc & Akakabuto arc are 1 & 2). The story has very powerful and emotional beginning, Monsoon is great villain and I like the moral battle between Orion and Sirius. Some parts of it are clumpsy (I can't help but hate Orion and Sirius both sometimes & the battle plans of the dogs... wtf), but I like how it is very different from previous stories and it allows readers to choose whose side they are. Not very many series do that: the villains are always evil even if their plan would make sense.
Well said. I think the moral ambiguity of characters in TLW is one of its strongest points.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Uru wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:05 pm I think people are mostly negative about how the series ended and how the story didn't have good flow. Like in last 5 chapters there were filler battles, but then the last chapter has so much stuff in there. If you compare Noah & TLW, lot more people were interested in TLW and people had huge expectations for it and TLW didn't meet them. With Noah... At the beginning there was lot of quessing what the story would be about, but after that - very little.

So what you are saying is that the story is just fantastic, but it was just poorly executed?
Have a nice day!
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:49 pm

So what you are saying is that the story is just fantastic, but it was just poorly executed?
I would say that the story starts well and has potential. Uru has made a great point about those details and story elements.

And finally YES, the execution is poor. A thought provoking concept with potential is turned into hatefulness and ultimately makes it difficult to enjoy.

Those moments with Orion and Sirius are at first interesting and tense, but they are repetitive and become more and more exhausting and infuriating as the plot makes slow progress.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I actually thought it was good until we got to Chapter 107

After that, except for the stuff with Chibi the bear cub, just got very repetitive. Sirius's mindset was 'if you at first you don't succeed, TRY, TRY, TRY, TRY... try again!'
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

Yes, but I think story is good not fantastic. I think the story had huge possibilities, but in the end, it didn't use them. Like at the beginning of the story everyone is part of story: we see Mole who haven't been in story since WEED part 30 and lot of side characters (Hook, Ken, Jouji, Hiro...) have also their part in story. Also Weed, Gin, Orion & Sirius are there too. It's usually just one of them.
I asumed that this would be the last Ginga story and we would see all of our favotire characters one last time. But none of this happenned.

And I also think that this pissed of lot of fans: we could have had freaking awesome & fantastic story, but instead we got good/pretty good story.

Execution is sometimes awesome, sometimes ok and sometimes weird/bad. My biggest issue with story is that the dogs don't have any plans. They just run towards Monsoon and hope that he will die. It makes everyone look stupid especially when we see that Monsoon is able to make strategies when he attacks Ouu.

I honestly blame this partially on publisher. Takahashi had few months break between Akame & TLW and you can see it - TLW's beginning is just awesome. But Takahashi plans story only partially so he very likely had made plans only for the beginning. After that he must draw, write & plan the story all at the same time and you can see that the quality will drop when he does this. So why couldn't publisher give him time to write the story...
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Uru wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:35 pm

I honestly blame this partially on publisher. Takahashi had few months break between Akame & TLW and you can see it - TLW's beginning is just awesome. But Takahashi plans story only partially so he very likely had made plans only for the beginning. After that he must draw, write & plan the story all at the same time and you can see that the quality will drop when he does this. So why couldn't publisher give him time to write the story...
The publisher just wants good business. You know that when something is either good or sell well, then they just want MORE! I don't know how well Ginga has been with Nihon Bungeisha, but since Yoshihiro has been making so much Ginga, then I think it's because they think the story is good, or it sold well (maybe both?). Companies would then usually just pressure the creator to make even more, so that they can get their money. They don't say that they want the creator to publish for the money of course.

If Yoshihiro had a better publisher, then he would probably have more quality success with most people than what he is currently getting, which is what fans care about.
Have a nice day!
Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:06 pmThe publisher just wants good business. You know that when something is either good or sell well, then they just want MORE! I don't know how well Ginga has been with Nihon Bungeisha, but since Yoshihiro has been making so much Ginga, then I think it's because they think the story is good, or it sold well (maybe both?). Companies would then usually just pressure the creator to make even more, so that they can get their money. They don't say that they want the creator to publish for the money of course.

If Yoshihiro had a better publisher, then he would probably have more quality success with most people than what he is currently getting, which is what fans care about.
I think there can be lot of reason's for that in the end. NihonBungeisha & Manga Goraku are both aimed to older readers (like +30-40) and I think Ginga is the longest running series they have ever had. They might just not have editors that are able to check the story or they are not able to see how fans react to series. Most of the Ginga-readers are young so I don't think they comment series on Twitter or similar. I think that WEED is also the second series they have that was turned into a anime so by publishers stand point Ginga is very popular.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Uru wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:51 am
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:06 pmThe publisher just wants good business. You know that when something is either good or sell well, then they just want MORE! I don't know how well Ginga has been with Nihon Bungeisha, but since Yoshihiro has been making so much Ginga, then I think it's because they think the story is good, or it sold well (maybe both?). Companies would then usually just pressure the creator to make even more, so that they can get their money. They don't say that they want the creator to publish for the money of course.

I think there can be a lot of reasons for that in the end. NihonBungeisha & Manga Goraku are both aimed to older readers (like +30-40) and I think Ginga is the longest-running series they have ever had. They might just not have editors that are able to check the story or they are not able to see how fans react to series. Most of the Ginga-readers are young so I don't think they comment series on Twitter or similar. I think that WEED is also the second series they have that was turned into an anime so by publishers standpoint Ginga is very popular.
Ginga is a long-running series for sure. It is actually the number 7th manga franchise with the most amount of volumes in the world at the moment. Maybe that is also the reason why they want him to make more, since the series is almost 40 years old :THOT:
Have a nice day!
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

The cool thing was that we could understand bears's language. And the communication between dogs and bears. :)
Last edited by Raki on Wed May 13, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
ZackThePuppy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZackThePuppy »

Sirius x Monsoon is still a better love story than Twilight.

Return to “Ginga: The Last Wars”