Otoko No Tabidachi

General discussion of all things related to other manga series by Yoshihiro Takahashi.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Otoko No Tabidachi

Post by Arano »

I've always seen the images of the dog and the tiger around, but it's only just occurred to me I know nothing about this manga apart from it was published in 6 volumes.

Does anyone out there actually have it or have any more images/information about it?
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Re: Otoko No Tabidachi

Post by Regnant »

I own the 6th volume because it has Farewell Wolves of the North in it. I can maybe snap a few quick photos! Quite a few pretty dogs and I think a pet/friendly tiger?
Image Image
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

I would love to know more. As I wanna know what even the covers of the vols look like. There's barley any info of this serie.
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I did a quick Google search and this page had a description of the series. Courtesy of Google Translate:
"The family who departed by boat on an adventure trip around Southeast Asia was caught in the incident during the voyage and was thrown to the stormy sea. The African ground that reached the end of drifting, waiting for Yoichi and Shinji! ! Fraternal survival of brothers begins! ! A masterpiece of Yoshihiro Takahashi who painted a big adventure romance full of turbulence."

The page also had this.

I'm... very confused. Curious, but confused. :derpgin:

FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

I've been looking into buying this manga for a while now, but it's quite hard to find the full set. I've never really found any info on it other than the white/black dog and the tiger either, so thanks for the bit of info here ^_^

EDIT
Is that f**king dinosaurs?! XD

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Regnant wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:06 am I own the 6th volume because it has Farewell Wolves of the North in it. I can maybe snap a few quick photos! Quite a few pretty dogs and I think a pet/friendly tiger?
I have Farewell Wolves of the North but in a shounen jump with coloured pages, I had no idea it was published inside this book too! Some photos would be great to see, thank you =D
Digsu wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:55 am I did a quick Google search and this page had a description of the series. Courtesy of Google Translate:
"The family who departed by boat on an adventure trip around Southeast Asia was caught in the incident during the voyage and was thrown to the stormy sea. The African ground that reached the end of drifting, waiting for Yoichi and Shinji! ! Fraternal survival of brothers begins! ! A masterpiece of Yoshihiro Takahashi who painted a big adventure romance full of turbulence."

The page also had this.

I'm... very confused. Curious, but confused. :derpgin:
Hey you found Raptor Gin's extended family!

Can we also take a moment to appreciate the phrase "Romance full of Turbulence".... COMING THIS VALENTINES DAY.
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Arano wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:04 pm
Regnant wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:06 am I own the 6th volume because it has Farewell Wolves of the North in it. I can maybe snap a few quick photos! Quite a few pretty dogs and I think a pet/friendly tiger?
I have Farewell Wolves of the North but in a shounen jump with coloured pages, I had no idea it was published inside this book too! Some photos would be great to see, thank you =D
I would love to own that shounen jump instead, but I've been unable to find one, so I got volume 6 of this manga with it. It takes up about half the book so I think they put it in because there wasn't enough material otherwise!

EDIT: here's some photos! https://imgur.com/a/98wGF
Image Image
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

Is that a zombie or a very old ugly woman? O_o

Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

FDQ wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:28 pm Is that a zombie or a very old ugly woman? O_o
I think she's a very old ugly witch :surprisegin:
Seeing how much she was in this volume, I think she may be a recurring baddie?
Image Image
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Arano wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:04 pm I have Farewell Wolves of the North but in a shounen jump with coloured pages.
Could it be possible to see pictures/scans of the color pages? :3

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

methpring wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:25 pm
Arano wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:04 pm I have Farewell Wolves of the North but in a shounen jump with coloured pages.
Could it be possible to see pictures/scans of the color pages? :3
Ooh, and maybe the cover of the magazine. So I know what to look for on amazon and Mandarake etc.

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Regnant wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 pm
I would love to own that shounen jump instead, but I've been unable to find one, so I got volume 6 of this manga with it. It takes up about half the book so I think they put it in because there wasn't enough material otherwise!

Thank you! It looks so coooool how have we as a community gone this long without this story 8V

To everyone else asking about the coloured pages yes I'll be happy to take some pics of it, I'll make a separate topic for it 👍
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Regnant wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 pm

The names!! Finally knowing the names! Thanks Regnant!

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
caninesrock
Supreme
Supreme

Post by caninesrock »

This looks really interesting. Love the dinosaur island, tiger, and of course the dogs.
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Thanks to the package that arrived today I now have the whole series! So, here's a brief summary of each volume for you. ^_^

Volume 1
A Japanese family is leaving for a boat trip to the sea. Father, mother and two boys. They have two dogs (akita-looking, black-masked and black-chested named Rocky, puppy with black in its ears and forehead named Marin), and a half-grown tiger cub named Wan (its name is written in kanji 王, and in katakana ワン). Yes, a pet tiger cub. In Japan (I don't know if it's explained somewhere, I mostly picture-read this series through).
They fight some sharks, a storm comes and goes, then they rescue two men from a boat. They turn out to be bad guys, and take the family and their animals as hostages. Then comes a new storm, which destroys the boat and scatters the family. Later the boys, older Yuuichi, younger Shinji, found themselves on a shore. After wandering a bit they find their destroyed boat, and puppy Marin with it. They grab some useful items and head off. A pack of hyenas (?) attack them at the shore, snatch Marin and run off, but Rocky appears and stops the hyenas. Then from a tree attacks a giant snake, swallows a hyena, and right after attacks Rocky. Yuuichi tries to rescue the dog, but the snake then tries to eat him. Suddenly a native man comes to the rescue, and does some amazing moves while killing the snake. The man tries to shoo the boys away, but it's too late. A whole village of natives attack and surround the boys and the native man. In the lead seems to be an old witch-woman.

Volume 2
The natives attack both the boys and the native man, whose name is Kuwari(?) (katakana says クウェリ). The witch-woman calls for a leopard to chase the boys and Kuwari. Rocky saves Kuwari from the leopard, but gets a bad beating from it. Natives still chase them. Shinji escapes with Marin and wounded Rocky, while Yuuichi and Kuwari are taken prisoners. Shinji goes to get some items from their boat, but the hyenas are back! Then a full-grown tiger attacks and kills some hyenas. It is Wan! (who somehow is now full-grown. I don't know if there were a time skip somewhere, but it doesn't seem so. And Marin is still a puppy. Or it could be a small breed and an adult, but it looks puppy). At the village of the natives, Yuuichi and Kuwari are bound in a pole, soon to be the targets for natives spears. Elsewhere, Shinji comes across a car, driven by a native man and an older man called Doctor. They drive to the native village. There are some fighting, and finally our heroes escape in the car. Then some angry elephants knock the car over, and kill the driver native. The Doctor also dies. He was wounded while fighting the natives.
The boys, Kuwari and the animals take useful items from the car, and then burn it. Later they hunt some animals, but new angry natives arrive, and they hide in the grass. The natives kill some hyenas and a male lion that arrive to the carcasses. Then thei find our heroes, and took them prisoners.

Volume 3
The natives have the boys and Kuwari in a large wooden cage. In the other large cage is Wan, who is given a male lion to fight. The fighting animals broke the wooden bars, and the lion goes after the scared natives. The lion is then shot by some fat guy in shades and a cowboy hat. He leaves in a car, taking the boys, Kuwari and Wan ans prisoners, but leaving the dogs. Kuwari and the man have an argument, they stop the car, and Kuwari and the man argument outside, the man pointing a gun at Kuwari. The boys are able to free themselves from the ropes and knock the driver native unconcious. They then try to save Kuwari, and Rocky arrives to help. After some fighting the fat man is shot, his driver droves away and Kuwari is wounded. After a while the main cast stumble upon a huge set of footprints. Later at night, they fight a long-neck dinosaur. While escaping they fall into a hole, and from there into an underground river. They wake up at the valley of dinosaurs! After some tight situations they see that the walley is surrounded by vertical rock wall, impossible to climb. Then they find a jet plane, which has crash-landed into the valley. Two pilots, Terry and Michael. They are running away from a dinosaur. Their dog, a german shephard named John, is killed by it. Michael also losts his left arm. Yuuichi throws a grenade, which he found from the jet plane, at the dinosaurs mouth, and its head explodes.

Volume 4
The boys, Kuwari, Michael, Terry and the animals feast on cooked dinosaur meat. Michael's amputated arm is got infected, and Yuuichi needs to burn the wound. They wander around, seeking way out of the walley, until they got the idea of building an hot-air balloon out of a parachute and the parts from the jet plane. They succeed, but because of the overweight the balloon can't lift. Michael throws Wan out of the basket, and the balloon rises, taking them out of the walley. Then two pygmy people attack and flee. Then they find a gorilla and its baby caugh in a net. They free them. And then the pygmy people attack again. They knock off Michael and Terry. Yuuichi fight them and goes after them when they flee. At the village, other man named Doctor is with a woman, who has lost wer memory. It's Yuuichi and Shinji's mother! At the jungle, Yuuichi is attacked by a leopard, but saved by the gorilla he freed from the trap earlier. Kuwari, Shinji and the animals are taken to the same village where their mother is, but only Rocky realize this, and tries in vain to tell Shinji that his mother is there. The Doctor takes the mother away in a car, and Rocky runs and barks after it for a time, but is finally left behind. In some hospital, where Michael and Terry are, Terry takes a helicoper and flies off to rescue Wan. At the jungle, Yuuichi awakes and befriends the two gorillas. In the jungle, Kuwari, Rocky and other natives are searching for Yuuichi. They are trapped in a huge net by some other natives.

Volume 5
Yuuichi and the gorilla fight off the attackers and free Kuwari and other from the net. While heading back to village with the prisoned attakers, some masked native man in a tree makes an eye contack with the gorilla, and hypnotizes it. The gorilla now attacks its friends and frees the prisoned attackers. Kuwari notices the masked man and throws his boomerang at him. He falls, but takes a hold on a branch. He whistles for his black panther, and flees. And the gorilla is free from hypnosis. Back at the village, the boys somehow know that their mother was there, and are sad. Later they leave the village with Kuwari and the animals. They spot another native village, on fire. A masked native man is leading the natives that are killing natives that are fleeing from the buring village. When our main cast arrives, the village is burned down and many natives killed. One wounded native gives them a long and decorative knife that seems to be important. At yet another village, masked natives are watching the evil natives dancing around a fire. They have captured some other natives, and our heroes attack to free them. While running through the jungle with freed prisoners, Kuwari starts to act odd, and attacks Yuuichi. His goal seems to be the knife that was given to them. Shinji has to shoot at Kuwari to stop his attacking. Back at the burned village, Kuwari is wounded but fine. Rocky then returns from the jungle, but is acting odd. Elsewhere, Michael lands the helicopter and falls out. Wan jumps off after him. He losts consciousness or dies, and Wan runs off. Back at the burned village, our heroes wake up and notice that Rocky still acts odd. When untied, he attacks and takes the knife and runs into jungle. Then some masked natives attack. While fighting, a tree falls on Rocky, who goes back to normal, and refuses to give the knife to the masked men. At the tree branch, the main masked man tries his hypnosis at the boys, but Kuwari is not affected, and brokes the hypnosis. Black panther then attacks, and fights Rocky and Marin. Yuuichi's head is caught into a weapon that decapitates him if the lets go of the rope he is hanging from. Then Wan arrives and fights the black panther. Yuuichi is freed, and masked man unmasked. They fight for a while, but at the end both the back panther and masked man are killed.

Volume 6
Rocky notices a wild dog in a trap. Our heroes free it. Then they arrive at the shore, seeing a mountain far beyond the water. Two native women walk near, and their clothes remind Rocky from Yuuichi and Shinji's mother. The wild dog belongs to them. At their village, they talk to an old man, who lets them stay in a hut. There is also another person, the witch-woman! First she hides, but is after some time recognized. She spits some poison needles into Kuwari's arm. She tries to make the natives attack the boys, and fighting starts. The old man, maybe the village chief, stops the fight. The witch-woman runs off. The old man gives them a boat to take poisoned Kuwari over the water. The witch-woman follows underwater, breathing through a hose. She emerges beside their boat and capsizes it. Crocodiles start to gather. The villagers notice, and take their boats to water. The fight with the crocodiles start. FInally everyone is safely in the boats, except the witch-woman. Yuuichi jumpr to save her. She losts her left leg, but is fine. She becomes nice after the incident. Taking her with them, the main cast continues their journey. It is raining, and the Doctor is driving with the boys mother, who still doesn't remember anything. Our main cast notice the car, but it drives past. The witch-woman thrown herself at the front of the car, and it stops. The Doctor and the mother step out. The boys recognize her, but she doesn't them. The witch-woman dies of her injuries. Everyone in the car, the journey continues. It's raining heavily, and the river is flooding on the road. The car gets hit by a log, and mother and Shinji are thrown out. Yuuichi jumps after them with a rope. The situation reminds the mother of the storm she lost her memory in. When the rain has passed, her memory returns. At the small airport, the boys hear that their father is alive and they take a small airplane to fly to the place he is in. They leave farewell to Kuwari, and leave their animals behind. I think that they'll come back for them later, because there was no farewell to them. Kuwari walks off, and Yuuichi's thought are written in the last page. THE END

Takahashi has made another series like this; "Kotou no Boukensha". It's only three volumes long, and not so fantasy-like like Otoko no Tabodachi is. I found a download for raws of that series, if anyone is interested: http://manga-zip.net/archives/84732.html

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

GOSH! I always want to knoow more about this serie!!! Thanks a lot Methpring!

Oh, and クウェリ would be Kuweri (ェ is a small "e" not "a"). ;)

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Well that was crazy from start to finish!
Image Image
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

I
Wow

That was a wild ride omg I really want to have this series now because the illustrations must look so good! Thank you methpring for taking the time to go through it and write a summary and for the raw link to the other story, I'd heard of it but never paid much attention to it.

Where did you find the set?
caninesrock
Supreme
Supreme

Post by caninesrock »

Cool. Thanks for the summary, Methpring. Seems like a crazy story, but in a good way.
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Post by methpring »

Tora wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:28 pm Oh, and クウェリ would be Kuweri (ェ is a small "e" not "a"). ;)
Damn, and here I thought that I remember katakanas... No harm in checking twice, I suppose. >O<
Arano wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:48 pm Where did you find the set?
Yahoo Japan Auctions. I searched by the Japanese title of the series, 男の旅立ち.

Return to “Other Yoshihiro Takahashi Works”