Suggestion: Political Thread?

Having issues using the board? Ask here! You can also suggest improvements and comment on current features.
Dragon
Soldier
Soldier

Suggestion: Political Thread?

Post by Dragon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:14 am

Over on LOTPW, I saw the idea of this being suggested, as people don't want to see politics of any kind in the thread. Of course, if it's allowed, there should be a limit to how political it gets. Like no spreading of 'this is why [party here] sucks' sort of thing. Heck, it might even be seasonal, as once the voting is over, the convo might die down a bit. While it's still relevant though, and not wanting to spam negative real life politics talk on other threads, maybe a thread for it somewhere could be something to consider? Probably even under spam or something so it's not super public? :THOT:

Just a thought!

Wolpard
Adviser
Adviser

Re: Suggestion: Political Thread?

Post by Wolpard » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:58 am

Id be concerned about political flame wars if we actually had a topic for it. Granted I feel most of us here might have similar political views, but we still don't all see eye-to-eye. Maybe there could be a general vent thread in support or something where people could get their political feelings out (among other things)?

Dragon
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Dragon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:03 am

Wolpard wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:58 am
Id be concerned about political flame wars if we actually had a topic for it. Granted I feel most of us here might have similar political views, but we still don't all see eye-to-eye. Maybe there could be a general vent thread in support or something where people could get their political feelings out (among other things)?
Yeah, I'd be worried that the 'limit' idea might not be followed all the time as that can differ person from person. I like the venting thread idea! That sounds perfect!

werewolf
Potential
Potential

Post by werewolf » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:15 am

I don't think it'd be a good idea. While I'm under the impression that most of the community leans towards one side, there's still a lot of room for debate & honestly I think not having such a board would keep the community more....I guess happy / up-beat?

Dragon
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Dragon » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:12 am

werewolf wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:15 am
I don't think it'd be a good idea. While I'm under the impression that most of the community leans towards one side, there's still a lot of room for debate & honestly I think not having such a board would keep the community more....I guess happy / up-beat?
Thats true, I get what you guys mean by this. I know it'd probably be weird on any series-dedicated forum is there was a 'political' thread.

I just feel bad for those who want to have a plan to have a little venting moment and this place is their only place to do it, but others hate seeing the posts over on LOTPW. It's like, maybe those are thoughts that are best kept in our mind, but I can get if others can feel overwhelmed and need a place to let their thoughts out too.
Difficult issue to deal with... :tfw_aokabuto1:

Hyzenthlay Rose
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Hyzenthlay Rose » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:35 am

I honestly don't have a problem with people occasionally venting political stuff in the LOTPW. But a thread dedicated to only politics just gives me a bad feeling.
The Gay Jackalope

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story

Tsukitora
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Tsukitora » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:26 am

If we don’t have a separate place for political talk could we at least put spoiler tags and/or possible trigger warnings on them? Sometimes when I want to pop on LOTPW and talk about my day, the political complaining scares me off because that kinda of stuff has become a major trigger for my anxiety and temper this year. So I feel that putting a warning or spoiler/click-to-view filter on such rants could help the people who are sensitive to it like I am in avoiding running across stuff like that.
This could be a thing for any potentially triggering subjects brought up outside of the support subboard, really.
...baby rats :surprisegin:

Wolpard
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Wolpard » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:59 am

Tsukitora wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:26 am
If we don’t have a separate place for political talk could we at least put spoiler tags and/or possible trigger warnings on them? Sometimes when I want to pop on LOTPW and talk about my day, the political complaining scares me off because that kinda of stuff has become a major trigger for my anxiety and temper this year. So I feel that putting a warning or spoiler/click-to-view filter on such rants could help the people who are sensitive to it like I am in avoiding running across stuff like that.
This could be a thing for any potentially triggering subjects brought up outside of the support subboard, really.
I think that could work if anyone wants to say something in LOTPW/Any "positive" space! As long as people make sure to tag what's under the spoilers. :P4:

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:33 am

My concern with a dedicated political thread is that it likely wouldn't stay political, and it would be a stressful thread to police. It would be impossible to put a tangible limit on what people are allowed say. We have a hard enough time as it is trying to keep the pet peeves and unpopular opinion topic fun.

We all get berated by political news on a daily basis - all largely US-centric too - and I like that GB has been otherwise free from political debates. It's not what anyone should be here for anyway right XD

Using the LOTPW topic is fine for venting in general as it's a fast moving topic, so things get buried and people turn conversations around naturally. Spoiler tags is fine, but freedom to do that isn't without consequence! If people end up getting into an argument and breaking board rules, getting reported etc, users will need to take responsibility for that.

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:58 pm

Politics discussions on GB are very much off the table now after what happened in the GDN topic!

GB is not meant to be a stressful place, so please take such discussions elsewhere.

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:21 am

An announcement on political discussion guidelines will be posted tomorrow which I hope will suit everyone :) You will be free to comment on said guidelines.

Return to “Troubleshoot”