Issue with linking from Imgur

Having issues using the board? Ask here! You can also suggest improvements and comment on current features.
Astor
RPG Moderator
RPG Moderator

Issue with linking from Imgur

Post by Astor » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:52 am

I've found a issue that comes up occasionally when posting from Imgur.
The odd thing is, it only happens sometimes. I can't understand why from my end as I save all the images in the same format and upload the same way every time.
The error is
It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Thanks in advance!

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Re: Issue with linking from Imgur

Post by Arano » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:05 am

The board has a fixed image size of 700px wide. Are you trying to post images over that size?

Astor
RPG Moderator
RPG Moderator

Post by Astor » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Nope, when it tries to post over that size, it tells me so I can resize.

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:41 pm

If it's only happening "occasionally", can you give me an example of when it happens? If it's completely random then when you try again another time the image works, it's not a board issue but user error. It could have been copied wrong the first time, the wrong link code was copied, the bbcode is wrong in some way etc.

If you're getting this error on specific types of images and they won't work at all no matter what you try, then I could check the board settings because that gives me some information to go on. If you have an example of a link that isn't working right now, post in in here within code tags ([ code] [ /code]) so I can see it (:

Astor
RPG Moderator
RPG Moderator

Post by Astor » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:44 pm

Here you go! At first I thought it was an issue with PNG as it seems to be more prominent with those, but I did save one recolour as a PNG and that posted fine? Thank you Arano!

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.imgur.com/XBPOpyLl.png[/img]

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 pm

Fixed!

After some very lengthy googling, it's all phpbb's fault. They've had this image size error problem for 10 years and have never fixed it lmao.

Basically, even though the image is under 700px wide, for some reason the board just doesn't care seemingly at random. No-one has found a definitive reason as to why as this isn't limited to one file type. The only way to solve this was to set the image width to unlimited and not have a restriction at all; I tested it by putting in random large image widths like 3000 pixels and it still gave the error message :|

So, in theory this message should not happen again.

Astor
RPG Moderator
RPG Moderator

Post by Astor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:18 am

Thank you Arano! :D

Houndy

Post by Houndy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Arano wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 pm
After some very lengthy googling, it's all phpbb's fault. They've had this image size error problem for 10 years and have never fixed it lmao.

Basically, even though the image is under 700px wide, for some reason the board just doesn't care seemingly at random. No-one has found a definitive reason as to why as this isn't limited to one file type. The only way to solve this was to set the image width to unlimited and not have a restriction at all; I tested it by putting in random large image widths like 3000 pixels and it still gave the error message :|
Actually it isn't all phpbb's fault because there's several reasons why it can happen, one of them is incorrect PHP settings (allow_url_fopen disabled). If the image width limit in the forum settings is useless, you can still do it with CSS, find this:

.postbody img.postimage {
    max-width: 100%;
    -webkit-box-sizing: border-box;
    -moz-box-sizing: border-box;
    box-sizing: border-box;
Replace it with this:

.postbody img.postimage {
    max-width: 700px !important;
    -webkit-box-sizing: border-box;
    -moz-box-sizing: border-box;
    box-sizing: border-box;
If the image is over 700px wide, it'll be automatically resized to fit the limit.

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks, I'll pass this on to Regnant!

Edit:
lol so it was a misunderstanding on my part. Because of how things were on the old board I didn't know that images were automatically scaled to fit the content area on here already. I put the 700px limit in the board settings because I was pre-conditioned to think area breaking was still a thing :surprisegin: So... nothing actually needs to change as it's already being scaled making the width limit pointless by default.

Return to “Troubleshoot”