Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Dragon »

I really don't understand how Terry's death is sad.
To me, it's just... this was our first time ever seeing him and he dies within like 5 minutes of knowing him. We bonded with Akatora, we know Riki's past/identity as Gin's father, and Benizakura had a few moments of showing up before he died. Terry shows up then dies. oxo; Maybe the other dogs crying could be why it's sad to some?
I'm very open to explanations ^^

ImageImage
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

I guess because Ben and those in his platoon knew him prior to Gin's arrival to the Ohu Army so if Ben and co are sad then, in theory, we should be sad because we like Ben and co and anyone that Ben and co like. So if you're sad because Ben and friends are sad, then that makes Terry's death sad, I guess. Idk I'm not Yoshi
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

JazzyJazz wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:05 am I guess because Ben and those in his platoon knew him prior to Gin's arrival to the Ohu Army so if Ben and co are sad then, in theory, we should be sad because we like Ben and co and anyone that Ben and co like. So if you're sad because Ben and friends are sad, then that makes Terry's death sad, I guess. Idk I'm not Yoshi
I more wondered about the fans that I see say Terry's death is the saddest death in GNG xD I can get why Ben's group would be sad. But you do make a point of 'if it's sad to this character we like, it should be sad to all of us'. I wish the anime didn't rush it as much as, because the manga's portrayal would make more sense to feel sad about, especially since there's not a whole lot of main characters dying in GNG. :THOT:
Thanks for the reply!

ImageImage
Bonisfab
Friend
Friend

Post by Bonisfab »

Sirius is a well written character and is also my all time favorite in ginga:
I sympathize with Sirius a lot. I tend to have a forgiving attitude in many situations and it also used to be a problem of mine when I was younger. Some people liked to take advantage of me back then but it's not a problem anymore because I learned from my mistakes and Sirius should've too, It was way too early to kill him in my opinion since he had so much potential. In my opinion Sirius is the most realistic character in TLW and I believe many people struggle with the same problems as him. Yoshi's way of telling that "sometimes you can't forgive" was just awful and basically the message was "if you give too many chances, you'll die in the end." I'm not sure what I'm supposed to think of that..TLW was all over the place and I can't make any sense of it.
Image"We are the demon dogs!" Image
Team Sasuke :sasuke:
Nerdykestrel74
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nerdykestrel74 »

Dragon wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:42 am I really don't understand how Terry's death is sad.
To me, it's just... this was our first time ever seeing him and he dies within like 5 minutes of knowing him. We bonded with Akatora, we know Riki's past/identity as Gin's father, and Benizakura had a few moments of showing up before he died. Terry shows up then dies. oxo; Maybe the other dogs crying could be why it's sad to some?
I feel the same way tbh. Like, we barely got to know Terry before he died. At least Benizakura got a few episodes before being killed off
Akakama my beloved <3 :akakama:
Rals
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Rals »

Dragon wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:42 am I really don't understand how Terry's death is sad.
Haha this. Like his death was kinda cool. But like?? Who is he??

also my unpopular opinion isn't about the series itself, but in fact about merch.
The original plushie line is so fucking ugly guys. Like I'm not much of a collector beyond "ooh I like this thing from this series and I can afford it", so maybe it's lost of me how they can sell for hundreds and hundreds of GBP. It's especially bad when compared to the Pure Plastic ones. My bby Tesshin came the other day and he is so beautiful and so soft. Had I paid out of the OG plushies and then PP came along... I would have been absolutely steaming.
A red pandolar bear pandolar bearing along

Pfp and sig by Akame <3
GSDJohn
Champion
Champion

Post by GSDJohn »

Morti wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:55 pm The original plushie line is so fucking ugly guys. Like I'm not much of a collector beyond "ooh I like this thing from this series and I can afford it", so maybe it's lost of me how they can sell for hundreds and hundreds of GBP. It's especially bad when compared to the Pure Plastic ones. My bby Tesshin came the other day and he is so beautiful and so soft. Had I paid out of the OG plushies and then PP came along... I would have been absolutely steaming.
I also dislike the original Ginga plushies. There's something about them that bothers me, maybe their overly large heads + tiny bodies and the less detail put to them? I find the John one hideous and I refuse to buy it, even if John is my favorite character :Koyukisweat: I'd rather have a generic german shepherd plushie and pretend it's John over having this

The PurePlastic one is awesome and beautiful in comparison: And even fanmade ones like this one by IsisMasshiro look much better than the original John plush:
~ Image ~

TeePublic Merch

Crumble, Oreo Bastard! :hougen: 🍪

---
Banners and Papercrafts by me. Multiversal Trio Art by SoullessDog. DTJ Art by Dolan!
Rals
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Rals »

GSDJohn wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:23 pm I also dislike the original Ginga plushies. There's something about them that bothers me, maybe their overly large heads + tiny bodies and the less detail put to them? I find the John one hideous and I refuse to buy it, even if John is my favorite character :Koyukisweat: I'd rather have a generic german shepherd plushie and pretend it's John over having this

The PurePlastic one is awesome and beautiful in comparison: And even fanmade ones like this one by IsisMasshiro look much better than the original John plush:
John is definitely one of the worst OG plushies. it doesn't even look like him! I've always felt that I might be biases because I prefer John's anime design, so hearing a John fan agrees with me is pretty good! haha

Riki looks awful as well. Again, that might be my bias because I prefer his anime design. The PP one is soooo much better
A red pandolar bear pandolar bearing along

Pfp and sig by Akame <3
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

I dislike those plushes as well. I love the shape of them, but a lot of the characters kinda look a lil wonky. GB and Mel are the best looking ones tbh bc their eyes are so cute

I got a Ken one just bc I wanted to say I had one of these, and also bc the listing I found was dirt cheap in comparison to the others you usually find. He's cute but I think I would've rather he had a PP plush instead

If I didnt find him at the price I did I wouldnt have bothered :Koyukisweat:
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Morti wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:55 pm also my unpopular opinion isn't about the series itself, but in fact about merch.
The original plushie line is so fucking ugly guys. Like I'm not much of a collector beyond "ooh I like this thing from this series and I can afford it", so maybe it's lost of me how they can sell for hundreds and hundreds of GBP. It's especially bad when compared to the Pure Plastic ones. My bby Tesshin came the other day and he is so beautiful and so soft. Had I paid out of the OG plushies and then PP came along... I would have been absolutely steaming.
I dont hate the old Japanese plushies but I definitely prefer the PP plushies by a long shot so Im always glad to hear Im not alone lol. I know some people prefer them because they look more "ginga" than the PP plushies, probably because of the eyes (Jerome I think got hit with this the worst with his PP plush cause he is so "cutesy") but the new line looks super ginga-y with them implementing the series' eye shapes onto the plushies! My only complaint is that the PP plush dont hold up to ware that well because the fur type gets matted when its touched too much and the airbrushing fades. If they used more durable materials they'd blow the old plushies out of the water 100%.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

I can't help but to sometimes think back and remember that Benizakura killed in-training young dogs that were forced to fight his rival. I know it's not honorable what they were doing in the first place, but their owners most likely forced them to otherwise.

Beni coulda broke their legs or rescued his rival instead of just killing them. Just a thought. :tfw_bella1:

ImageImage
Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

Orion and Riki share nothing but coat colour.
Every time I read the scene where Riki forbids Ben from taking part in the final battle, and the times he had also ordered his army to stand down (to gather more dogs instead of blindly rushing in for revenge) I'm not reminded of Orion. One of these days he's going to rush into battle and get Andy or Bon killed-but then again Orion would just use that as excuse for more violence.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

KremlinJill wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:36 pm Orion and Riki share nothing but coat colour.
Every time I read the scene where Riki forbids Ben from taking part in the final battle, and the times he had also ordered his army to stand down (to gather more dogs instead of blindly rushing in for revenge) I'm not reminded of Orion. One of these days he's going to rush into battle and get Andy or Bon killed-but then again Orion would just use that as excuse for more violence.
This is an unpopular opinion........ to Yoshi and Yoshi alone :tfw_rigel1: Not sure how he can't see it.
To this day, I beg that Yukimura gets brought up in comparison to Orion... and that wish finally came true but not the direction I hoped for at all. Instead, Orion knows about Yukimura just for his story, but not about how much closer they really are. .-.

ImageImage
Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

@Dragon
Damn right, huge trouble if Yukimura and Orion ever met somehow. He'd go right under Yukimura's wing...

Cross' Intellect is Acknowledged Among the Males

In TLW, when Sunny and Maru were trapped with Lydia's body facing the bears, Cross stood up to Akame and shot down his orders to leave them.
He didn't attempt to stop her. Akame, the most logical of all the dogs, trusted that Cross KNEW what she was doing going back for them. He left her escape plan with two high ranking officer's children up to her.
Cross is also shown to bicker and openly debate with Kurotora on a familiar basis, no ranks debated. If she was lower than him, this would be a grave insult.

Sunny and Maru Are Dangerous

Given the chance, they would have happily killed and eaten Chibi at the river-they were not punished for their violence and bigotry (only told to calm down by Rocket). The brothers do have legit trauma but they are going about it the same way as Yukimura did. I highly doubt they have grown any kinder and I don't trust them at all.
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

KremlinJill wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:18 am Sunny and Maru Are Dangerous

Given the chance, they would have happily killed and eaten Chibi at the river-they were not punished for their violence and bigotry (only told to calm down by Rocket). The brothers do have legit trauma but they are going about it the same way as Yukimura did. I highly doubt they have grown any kinder and I don't trust them at all.
THIS.
Sunny and Maru are cowards and cowards are a dangerous breed. Especially when they're bigoted. I recognise their trauma as well, but that is no excuse for what they did. Chibi lost his mum to Monsoon as well, but they never gave a damn about that. Even Orion acknowledged that Chibi was grieving. I hate how they were never punished either, they were basically just told 'Run along now boys or we'll tell your dad.' Fuck that. :tfw_bella1:
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Dragon wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:39 am
KremlinJill wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:36 pm Orion and Riki share nothing but coat colour.
This is an unpopular opinion........ to Yoshi and Yoshi alone :tfw_rigel1: Not sure how he can't see it.
To this day, I beg that Yukimura gets brought up in comparison to Orion... and that wish finally came true but not the direction I hoped for at all. Instead, Orion knows about Yukimura just for his story, but not about how much closer they really are. .-.
Yes! I have always thought Orion was more like Yukimura than he ever was being Riki, the Riki I knew was nothing like Orion was - yes he did hate and kill bears but did so calmly and put thought into actions, Orion just jumped in and acted like a psycho!
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
TrashMonster

Post by TrashMonster »

Lmao this is probably not all that unpopular but I guess it's my opinion, if I had to choose between Gin or Weed being the better leader for Ohu, I'd choose Gin. Like don't get me wrong, the both of them had made many INSANELY BAD decisions in the past and I kinda find it funny they're shocked that the consequences of their actions come back to haunt them full force, but imo Gin feels like he got more done than Weed? In some way? Yeah he' was like all for pacifism like his kid is, but he also was aware that certain adversaries need to be dealt with in a swift direct manner (Akakabuto) instead of being like 'Oh you're obviously the big bad and you're not going to change, but I'll spare you anyways because forgiveness' (Hougen). Obvious that I'm referring to the anime but yeah, I know the two get much worse later on (Just look at Orion) however I feel that Gin was more in the moment and aware of certain decisions he had to make than Weed was. GDW may have been my childhood but damn Weed.

Also so many cooler side characters get pushed into the void, never to be seen again, there should be a reunion lmao
Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

Lol I'm pleasantly surprised that people agree with my Orion statement~

I've Zero Interest in First Wars

I have no hate towards it at all (its harmless) but it is simply standard 'doggies having fun adventure' bubblegum for me.
Ginga Paw Patrol
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

TrashMonster wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:14 am Lmao this is probably not all that unpopular but I guess it's my opinion, if I had to choose between Gin or Weed being the better leader for Ohu, I'd choose Gin. Like don't get me wrong, the both of them had made many INSANELY BAD decisions in the past and I kinda find it funny they're shocked that the consequences of their actions come back to haunt them full force, but imo Gin feels like he got more done than Weed? In some way? Yeah he' was like all for pacifism like his kid is, but he also was aware that certain adversaries need to be dealt with in a swift direct manner (Akakabuto) instead of being like 'Oh you're obviously the big bad and you're not going to change, but I'll spare you anyways because forgiveness' (Hougen). Obvious that I'm referring to the anime but yeah, I know the two get much worse later on (Just look at Orion) however I feel that Gin was more in the moment and aware of certain decisions he had to make than Weed was. GDW may have been my childhood but damn Weed.
I always thought Gin was a better Leader than Weed as the peace time during his reign lasted longer than Weed's reign has ever seen!
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

I really don't see how Orion is that much like Yukimura. Aside from the color and the skill, Orion is no where near as batshit insane as Yukimura is. Orion's a passionate dog and he can go too far sometimes, but he isn't a weird, culty "I'm gonna manipulate things so that outsiders can't see how we run shit and then feed them the flesh of someone's parents" type of facist like Yukimura is. All of Orion's enemies have been heartless bastards who'd showed no interest in being anything other than bad aside from MAYBE the Kamakiri brothers and even then they probably only "changed" because Sirius wouldn't shut the fuck up for 5 seconds.

And before someone starts with "But Chibi...!" Fuck Chibi. He's clearly only Sirius' tool to try and promote his freaky ass bear x dog dystopia and it's not Ohu's responsibility to deal with him. Chibi has no mother to show him how to do shit, and the only two fuckers who gave a remote shit about him are either dead or in the void. And if Chibi doesn't show up in GDN, then that's extra reason why Orion should've taken him out and snuffed out Akakabuto's bloodline for good. I'm sick of people treating Orion like he's SOOOO EVILLLL LIKE THAT EVIL AND CRUEL YUKIMURA while just pretending to not see what type of enemies he's facing. Orion isn't dealing with innocent monkeys. He's dealing with murderers who'll stop at nothing to make sure he's dead. But sure, Orion just lying down and taking the abuse like a bitch is sooooo much better, right?

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”