What series do you like better? GNG or GDW and Why?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
zsemi02

What series do you like better? GNG or GDW and Why?

Post by zsemi02 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:48 pm

So, I'll start it.

I like GNG way more better. :)

First of all, becouse of the storyline. I don't know why, but i prefer GNG's story better.
And I like the characters personality better too. Especialy Gin, who at the beginning is the "same" dog as the others in the pack, but later he fight out the recognition. And he is respected becouse his personality, not becouse his father is the leader, like Weed.
And I really don't liked the end of GDW, when they sets Gin as a "killer", who dont care about peace...

I could write only this now, but there is more reason for me. :D

So, what about you, guys? :derpgin:

Doragon
Potential
Potential

Re: What series do you like better? GNG or GDW and Why?

Post by Doragon » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:06 pm

zsemi02 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:48 pm
And I really don't liked the end of GDW, when they sets Gin as a "killer", who dont care about peace...
Excuse me? That never happened. Maybe you might get that impression from the anime, but anime's interpretation of the story can be all over the place and changes things to worse. In the manga Gin appears as someone who just tests Weed and if Weed is ready to take over Gin's place as the leader of Ohu.

As for me, I think I prefer GDW over GNG. In GDW (note that I'm referring to the manga, not anime) the story and characters are more consistent, and there are more scenes and characters that resonate with me on another level. I also like the art style more, at least for first 30 volumes or so.

methpring
Friend
Friend

Post by methpring » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:17 pm

It's hard to choose. I like GNG manga's story more, but I like GDW manga's more detailed way of telling things. If only GNG was made with GDW's detailed storytelling...
My Ginga collections:
Team Sirius :sirius:

zsemi02

Post by zsemi02 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Doragon wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:06 pm
zsemi02 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:48 pm
Excuse me? That never happened. Maybe you might get that impression from the anime, but anime's interpretation of the story can be all over the place and changes things to worse. In the manga Gin appears as someone who just tests Weed and if Weed is ready to take over Gin's place as the leader of Ohu.

As for me, I think I prefer GDW over GNG. In GDW (note that I'm referring to the manga, not anime) the story and characters are more consistent, and there are more scenes and characters that resonate with me on another level. I also like the art style more, at least for first 30 volumes or so.
Oh, that's interresting. Then sorry, i didn't read the manga, so I only spoke about the anime.
But in this case... Maybe here is the time to start reading it :)

Terrier

Post by Terrier » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:42 pm

I like them for different reasons. GNG has a smoother "flow" and a lot more detailed animation, while GDW kinda feels all over the place and the animation is honestly just ... incredibly lazy lol. Although, GDW has better character development and more interesting characters at that, while GNG just felt like the same dogs with a "fight to the death" mindset over and over again ... in GDW we have imperfect characters, ones that are either easily frightened (like GB) or too headstrong (Kyo), made it more interesting imo

Kasi
Admin
Admin

Post by Kasi » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:04 am

I prefer GDW for it's more fleshed out characters and story arcs. I like GNG but it feels overly simplistic.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW: Volume 19 now available!

Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:02 pm

As much as I love GNG, I think GDW beats it out just a bit more for me (I will be speaking mostly on a manga level here, but might reference the anime if needed).

GNG felt very linear, almost predictable, and the characters a bit one-dimensional on a few occasions (for example, I always felt like Sniper was there just to cause inconveniences for the pack rather than be a major threat). That's not to say that GNG is a bad series; Gin's introduction to the original Ohu army is one of the most memorable scenes for me, as well as the symbolic conclusion to the Akakabuto arc. You really get a sense of closure and triumph as these dogs battled their way to this epic conclusion. But what falls flat for me is the characterization. Gin feels too "goodie-goodie" to me. Even though he does become reckless during times of death, I don't see many faults in him as I should in a protagonist. I get that this is a shounen series first and foremost, but even main characters in other shounen series have conflict within themselves that they have to resolve so that they can grow into something greater. This might come off nitpicky, but it was something that bothered me the first time I traversed the series. Gin definitely becomes a better character when he grows older in GDW.

As for GDW, I love the characters and the different story arcs as they build upon one another. There's more depth and care put into this series, and it definitely shows by the time the Hougen arc begins. The villains are more, well, "human" to an extent, even Kaibutsu, who we all know went through a lot of pain and torment in his life. The conflict between him and Jerome was incredibly heartbreaking and it was evident that Kaibutsu still meant something to Jerome, even if he wouldn't admit it outright. Hougen and Genba are also amazing villains. For a long time, when I first watched the anime (and then later read the manga), I hated Hougen, but as I grew up, I understood more as to why Hougen felt the way he did. It didn't excuse his actions, but Hougen was a dog with a mission and he wouldn't stop until he got what he wanted. He had some major character development after his brother died. Genba's death was devastating for him; not only was Genba his only kin, he had to kill him with his own fangs. It showed that while Hougen comes off as this demon, he still had somewhat of a heart and cared about Genba until the end. It was a mercy kill, not wanting to see his brother suffer anymore.

This is why I think I like GDW so much more than GNG. I feel like I can connect with these characters, even the villains, who are some of the most brutal of any sort of villains I've read or watched in media. I could probably write an essay on Weed's own character development in comparison to Gin's, but I'll be here all night if I do... maybe I'll save that for another time.

That One Lloyd Fangirl™
:belmond: :gama: :gdwkurotora: :lloyd: :george: :ken: :unsai: :masamune: :hyakkiga: :suiga:

My Ginga Characters
Momo | Hakkou | Gracia | Mamushi

zsemi02

Post by zsemi02 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:28 am

Tikikata wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:02 pm
As much as I love GNG, I think GDW beats it out just a bit more for me (I will be speaking mostly on a manga level here, but might reference the anime if needed).

GNG felt very linear, almost predictable, and the characters a bit one-dimensional on a few occasions (for example, I always felt like Sniper was there just to cause inconveniences for the pack rather than be a major threat). That's not to say that GNG is a bad series; Gin's introduction to the original Ohu army is one of the most memorable scenes for me, as well as the symbolic conclusion to the Akakabuto arc. You really get a sense of closure and triumph as these dogs battled their way to this epic conclusion. But what falls flat for me is the characterization. Gin feels too "goodie-goodie" to me. Even though he does become reckless during times of death, I don't see many faults in him as I should in a protagonist. I get that this is a shounen series first and foremost, but even main characters in other shounen series have conflict within themselves that they have to resolve so that they can grow into something greater. This might come off nitpicky, but it was something that bothered me the first time I traversed the series. Gin definitely becomes a better character when he grows older in GDW.

As for GDW, I love the characters and the different story arcs as they build upon one another. There's more depth and care put into this series, and it definitely shows by the time the Hougen arc begins. The villains are more, well, "human" to an extent, even Kaibutsu, who we all know went through a lot of pain and torment in his life. The conflict between him and Jerome was incredibly heartbreaking and it was evident that Kaibutsu still meant something to Jerome, even if he wouldn't admit it outright. Hougen and Genba are also amazing villains. For a long time, when I first watched the anime (and then later read the manga), I hated Hougen, but as I grew up, I understood more as to why Hougen felt the way he did. It didn't excuse his actions, but Hougen was a dog with a mission and he wouldn't stop until he got what he wanted. He had some major character development after his brother died. Genba's death was devastating for him; not only was Genba his only kin, he had to kill him with his own fangs. It showed that while Hougen comes off as this demon, he still had somewhat of a heart and cared about Genba until the end. It was a mercy kill, not wanting to see his brother suffer anymore.

This is why I think I like GDW so much more than GNG. I feel like I can connect with these characters, even the villains, who are some of the most brutal of any sort of villains I've read or watched in media. I could probably write an essay on Weed's own character development in comparison to Gin's, but I'll be here all night if I do... maybe I'll save that for another time.
Thank you, for this long explaination :)
It make me wonder... :)

Atha
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Atha » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:01 pm

I prefer GNG's art, raw energy, coolness factor and unstoppable grit. The final howling was so cathartic.

I prefer GDW's more fleshed out characters, relationships and the times of complexity.
by Mako

AlphaSpice

Post by AlphaSpice » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:53 am

Hard choice! I think it's a tie for me. I haven't finished GDW manga, but so far, I really love it like 10x more than the anime LMAO.

I think I have to say I like GNG's storyline more. Does it get a bit formulaic and predictable? Yeah, but I really just love the prospect of the entire "travel and gather dogs from around the country to face off against a terrorizing threat", especially because the villain is, well, a terrifying threat! I really appreciate its themes of bravery and commitment too, I can't remember the last time I saw a piece of media covering these themes and I like it more than the morality statement I think GDW was trying to put out there (I could be wrong though, again haven't finished the GDW manga!).

So far though, I am REALLY loving how GDW is more character-driven. More effort is placed into trying to make the dogs of this big cast unique and quirky in their own little ways, and I love it a lot! Especially Weed in the manga; he isn't always right and he makes mistakes, something I wish Gin had more of in GNG.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”