Ginga Peeves

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Tenrou24

Re: Ginga Peeves

Post by Tenrou24 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:20 pm

the writing is HORRIBLE
Ginga went from God Tier in GNG down to sh** tier

Astor
RPG Moderator
RPG Moderator

Post by Astor » Tue May 14, 2019 9:32 pm

Pumpkin Wolf wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:21 am
Astor wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:30 am
  • That Fuji and Riki pooped out a silver brindle. At least his brothers are genetically accurate.
Actually if both parents were carriers of a brindle then Gin could have actually happened. The odds are very low, but that's also how the very first brindle came into existence, though... but I do get what you are saying. Also, were you going to acknowledge that Rigel is a black Akita? I don't know a whole lot about akitas but hmmm... seems fishy XD
Also on the topic of markings, Lydia is a German shepherd colored like a husky? just thought I'd throw that in... there seems to be a lot of miscolored breeds in the series (no hate against Lydia, obviously, I love her)
I believe Brindle is a dominant gene. So I don’t think it can be carried. But I’m not 100% sure.
Brindle Akita can produce white and red too if they carry the gene for it.

As for Rigel. He is part Kishu part Akita. Both come in black. Kishu have a very rare Black and Tan, and Akita come in black brindle.

Black and Tan Kishu

Black Brindle Akita Inu
Bear in mind that the black brindle is genetically identical to a silver brindle. It’s just the density of the brindle that makes it black- same as in Kai. Kurotora and Akatora Kai are the same genetically, just that one (kuro) has much thicker brindle than the other (aka).

Hyzenthlay Rose
Defender
Defender

Post by Hyzenthlay Rose » Tue May 14, 2019 11:24 pm

Digsu wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:59 am
fantachan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:32 am
My biggest peeve of mine is that Yoshi doesn't respect the concept of "Show, don't tell" in his manga.

Not every single action in the manga needs narration. We can clearly see what action is going on from what is drawn on the page, and by slapping narration onto it, it sort of takes away the point of the art.
My theory is that this is a leftover from Yamato and other stories where the dogs don't speak, so the narrator had to explain the tiniest thing the characters were experiencing, and Yoshi just got used to doing it. Though that still wouldn't explain the narrator explaining actions that are very obviously happening in the panel... :THOT:

Dog-human relations not being worth a damn
Sure, the Ohu dogs talk a lot about how they mustn't anger humans and that getting along with humans is vital for the continued survival of dogs. But absolutely no one seems to respect humans unless they need medical attention or other favors from them - pet dogs are willing to abandon their loving families at the drop of a hat to fight wars that have nothing to do with them, and the Ohu dogs have no qualms with recruiting them despite them having no combat experience whatsoever. Sasuke left his family after having a tearful reunion with them, Hook abandoned his owner despite owing his life to him (he says himself that he would have been put down if he hadn't been adopted), Ron left humans despite being a trained police dog, and so on and so forth. Literally the only dogs who seem to care about their owners are the Justice guys from the Weed Gaiden, the other dogs just think of them as food and medicine dispensers.

So much for "man's best friend", I guess.
Ugh, this. I guess Gin's the only one who's allowed to actually have a close bond with a human :T

The fact that all the dogs look like they have smooth fur when they should be fluffy

Ginga akitas:

Real akitas:

Let Ginga akitas be fluffy you cowards
I don't wanna be BobSponge
I'M SEEING HAMILTON ON JUNE 26TH 2019!!!!!

Gingastar
RPG Moderator
RPG Moderator

Post by Gingastar » Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 am

BIG Agree on the whole sexist thing. Y'all have more or less said what I would have. Cross telling Koyuki that "There are no strong females" though is the cherry on the bullshit sundae.

I also agree with what was said about the Ginga Merchandise. I was going to post this in the unpopular ginga opinion topic when I saw it being talked about here, so I'll add to it xD I really don't like merch that's just a copy paste of already existing (overused) images or vectors. The Ginga Coasters are a big example of how I feel about this, as well as the Pure Plastic Posters which are all just posters of existing images. I'm not saying these items aren't worth the money or anything, I'm sure they're all quality items to have, they just aren't for me :EXCITE:

Finally, I also agree with HR and the dogs fur. The akitas especially look like they're just... smooth skin and not fur.
Banner by me

Art by RefinedRaven

DeviantArt | Twitter | Tumblr

Pumpkin Wolf

Post by Pumpkin Wolf » Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 am

Tora wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:55 pm
Pumpkin Wolf wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:53 am
Tora wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:54 am

And Sakura or Koyuki could carry the black and tan for kishus, that could make Rigel black. As the Star Sibs are more Kishu then Akita. Plus, Sakura is a Kishu mix (my headcannon is with husky).

I know about Lydia has been talking about her colouring on old GB... That some Shepherds can come grey, but now I can't find the pic again. XD

Edit:
Found it.
I quote Troll Berserker from the old GB:
Oh, I know what you're talking about! German shepherds can be blue or liver colored instead of black. It's pretty rare, because there's a gene that causes it to get diluted. German shepherds are my favorite breed, I just thought it was interesting how he chose to portray her. I didn't even think that he could have meant for her to be a maskless blue and silver. Also it might be interesting to see a panda colored shepherd in the future?

Also, I saw a headcanon that Rigel was a black brindle, instead of just solid black, which is a headcanon that I think I'll start believing.
From his 25% Akita side, Rigel sure can be black brindle headcannon. Another headcannon is from the 66% Kishu side (Koyuki and Sakura) and those % of Sakura's mix, by being a black and tan Kishu
Black tan kishu
Black and tan Kishu
Pics borrowed from Nihon Ken Network's Discord in the Kishu channel ^^

Females are white
Most females are seen as white, it light coloured. Few exeptions are Fuji and Reika.
Fuji is a kishu? I knew Reika was, but... learn something new everyday, I suppose! XD
:john: :chutora: :kyoushiro: :riki: :FLY: :akame: :kurotora: :gin: :akatora:
banner by Gingastar

Pumpkin Wolf

Post by Pumpkin Wolf » Wed May 15, 2019 12:53 am

Astor wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:32 pm
Pumpkin Wolf wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:21 am
Astor wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:30 am
  • That Fuji and Riki pooped out a silver brindle. At least his brothers are genetically accurate.
Actually if both parents were carriers of a brindle then Gin could have actually happened. The odds are very low, but that's also how the very first brindle came into existence, though... but I do get what you are saying. Also, were you going to acknowledge that Rigel is a black Akita? I don't know a whole lot about akitas but hmmm... seems fishy XD
Also on the topic of markings, Lydia is a German shepherd colored like a husky? just thought I'd throw that in... there seems to be a lot of miscolored breeds in the series (no hate against Lydia, obviously, I love her)
I believe Brindle is a dominant gene. So I don’t think it can be carried. But I’m not 100% sure.
Brindle Akita can produce white and red too if they carry the gene for it.

As for Rigel. He is part Kishu part Akita. Both come in black. Kishu have a very rare Black and Tan, and Akita come in black brindle.

Black and Tan Kishu

Black Brindle Akita Inu
Bear in mind that the black brindle is genetically identical to a silver brindle. It’s just the density of the brindle that makes it black- same as in Kai. Kurotora and Akatora Kai are the same genetically, just that one (kuro) has much thicker brindle than the other (aka).
Yeah, sorry - brindle is dominant! I think I got it mixed up with something else at the time I wrote that. Maybe Riki was brindle? that's a pretty big stretch, though
banner by Gingastar

Astor
RPG Moderator
RPG Moderator

Post by Astor » Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 am

Pumpkin Wolf wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 am
Tora wrote:
Pumpkin Wolf wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:53 am

Oh, I know what you're talking about! German shepherds can be blue or liver colored instead of black. It's pretty rare, because there's a gene that causes it to get diluted. German shepherds are my favorite breed, I just thought it was interesting how he chose to portray her. I didn't even think that he could have meant for her to be a maskless blue and silver. Also it might be interesting to see a panda colored shepherd in the future?

Also, I saw a headcanon that Rigel was a black brindle, instead of just solid black, which is a headcanon that I think I'll start believing.
From his 25% Akita side, Rigel sure can be black brindle headcannon. Another headcannon is from the 66% Kishu side (Koyuki and Sakura) and those % of Sakura's mix, by being a black and tan Kishu
Black tan kishu
Black and tan Kishu

Females are white
Most females are seen as white, it light coloured. Few exeptions are Fuji and Reika.
Fuji is a kishu? I knew Reika was, but... learn something new everyday, I suppose! XD
Fuji is an Akita and Reika is an Akita mix. Sakura and Koyuki are Kishu/Kishu mixes.
Fuji and Reika are just exceptions to the general ‘white female’ rule, regardless of breed. But I agree. I want a badass female red Akita character >:(

Wolpard
Friend
Friend

Post by Wolpard » Wed May 15, 2019 3:05 am

Astor wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 am
Fuji is an Akita and Reika is an Akita mix. Sakura and Koyuki are Kishu/Kishu mixes.
Fuji and Reika are just exceptions to the general ‘white female’ rule, regardless of breed. But I agree. I want a badass female red Akita character >:(
At this point, I would be grateful for ONE badass female character. I guess Cross and Lydia could be, but Yoshi did both of them dirty.

Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker » Wed May 15, 2019 6:30 am

You guys pretty much sumed it up for me:
fantachan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:32 am
My biggest peeve of mine is that Yoshi doesn't respect the concept of "Show, don't tell" in his manga.
Now that I read TLW scanslations, it really becomes annoying.
Digsu wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:59 am
Dog-human relations not being worth a damn
But absolutely no one seems to respect humans unless they need medical attention or other favors from them - pet dogs are willing to abandon their loving families at the drop of a hat to fight wars that have nothing to do with them.
This so much. it always irked me how all the dogs easily abandon their loving families without a second thought.
Also the Humans ex machina, especialy seen in GDWO and TLW. Our heroes are losing? Don't worry, humans to the rescue! Our heroes are wounded? Don't worry, humans to the rescue! UGH I wish thaey gave up this lazy plot device "medical attention human to the rescue" because it really breaks the mood of brave wild dogs story and did I mention it's super lazy writing?
Shining Sirius wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:15 pm
Easy: The Sexism.
BIGGEST GINGA PEEVE OF ALL TIME
Seriously all the females pretty much exist to be some kind of plot devide and a driving point to some events, they hardly have their own characterization despite being caring mothers, crying girls and damsels in distress. Even Lydia pretty much happened to be so Jerome could get out of prison because she fell in love with him...

Repetative Akita designs
All main bearhound line is pretty much the same design in different color variations. How about a white male from the main line for a change, or creamy/golden colored one, or a bit different markings and stylisation? The only time they tried was Bella and she's a totaly minor character... And probably Jiromaru&his sibs but they are form some irrelevant gaiden.

The fact that mixbreeds look purebreed
I'm looking at you, Ken, George and Minnie...
Chutora's sons are pretty good tho.
Image Image Image Image
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me

Pumpkin Wolf

Post by Pumpkin Wolf » Wed May 15, 2019 11:35 pm

Astor wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 am
Pumpkin Wolf wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 am
Tora wrote:

Black tan kishu
Black and tan Kishu

Females are white
Oh, you meant that you peeve was that females are white. My bad, sorry, I misunderstood. And yes, I agree! A lot of times in literature or stories, females are wearing white clothes or are light-skinned to portray purity and innocence, etc.. To see more awesome females like Lydia would be great, instead of seeing the classic whiny or "damsel in distress" type females (I'm looking at you, Reika)
banner by Gingastar

Dragon
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Dragon » Thu May 16, 2019 2:33 am

I hate that all these humans in Ginga don't give a crap about vet bills and just save dogs like it's nothing LOL;; I don't even get why humans being lifesavers exist in GDW, when characters like Ben and Akame survives through hell in GNG and recovers in a split second with no scratches. Akame gets stabbed in the throat? No big deal. Ben gets crushed by rocks? No big deal. Smith injuries his leg falling into a river and falls down a waterfall? NO BIG DEAL, STARTS WALKING NEXT SCENE.
I'm completely whatever about this stuff in GNG and would prefer it than "random nice guy who happens to be a vet/have a vet in their family" coming along to save important-dog.

Shining Sirius
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shining Sirius » Mon May 20, 2019 4:44 pm

The toilet humour.

Okay, maybe toilet humour might be viewed differently in Japan? Regardless, it's just the lowest form of comedy. I just don't see how it's funny watching characters we've become emotionally involved in farting, shitting and pissing on each other. Yes, I'm mainly using the example of Sasuke urinating in GB's face (yes, I'm aware that dogs can pee themselves as a sign of submission) and then projectile defecating on him and Kyoushiro. What the fuck was that? :EMPTY:
Oh, and don't get me started on Orion's whole thing of "if I don't cry, I take a dump". Ugh... vile, disgusting boy. >:(

Granted, there are a few exceptions to this rule, such as the Russian war dogs peeing on the Ohu army who were dying of hunger and thirst. Obviously because this doesn't fall under humour - they were sadists who wanted to humiliate their hostages.
:heart: :sirius: I Love Sirius :sirius: :heart:

:riki: :gin: :john: :ben: :gdwcross: :moss: :akame: :terry: :hakuromanga: :mukonga: :thousanddragon: :gaia: :weed: :ken: :kagetora: :jerome: :saheiji: :akakama: :gdwokotetsu: :masamune: :monsoon: :bearchibi: :gama2: :jumbo:

YamaDora
Rookie
Rookie

Post by YamaDora » Mon May 20, 2019 5:30 pm

Shining Sirius wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:44 pm
Okay, maybe toilet humour might be viewed differently in Japan?
I'm actually pretty sure that it is. Toilet humor seem to be popular there, and even Japanese folklore has toilet humor (imo the most notorious example is tanuki).

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”