A Ginga story taking place in America?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Spirit Tree

A Ginga story taking place in America?

Post by Spirit Tree » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:02 pm

So I've been thinking about this for a while. What if the Ginga series could take itself to a whole new level and have a story taking place in the USA? I've been imagining a Ginga story taking place in America and taking place after GDN. Orion, who could be the current supreme leader of Ouu at that time, has a wife and three children and they recruit some of their allies and travel to America on a mission to fight for justice against evil threats. They go to America after an American dog travels to Ouu and asks the Ouu army for help. I say they travel only in the states of Washington, Oregon, and California.

Of course, a manga taking place in America would require a lot of hard work. Yoshi would probably need to go on a tour in the western part of the USA so he could study and get familiar with the surroundings or images.

But hey, I think it's at least possible and worth a shot. So that's my idea of imagination. What do you guys think about this? Feel free to share your thoughts or different imaginations.

Akame

Re: A Ginga story taking place in America?

Post by Akame » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:35 pm

I think that sounds quite interesting! I am not so sure how Orion and his family/soldiers would make their way across the huge ocean between Japan and the USA, though. Maybe it could be a Gaiden story, where it is still a Ginga style adventure but involves a totally new cast with different problems to face in a whole new setting?
avatar and banner images provided by our lovely FDQ

Like my art? Consider buying me a Ko-Fi! (£3) 🌻
Happy Holidays!

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:41 pm

Akame wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:35 pm
I think that sounds quite interesting! I am not so sure how Orion and his family/soldiers would make their way across the huge ocean between Japan and the USA, though. Maybe it could be a Gaiden story, where it is still a Ginga style adventure but involves a totally new cast with different problems to face in a whole new setting?
I guess stowing away on a cargo ship could be an option? Dogs in Ginga are familiar with hitching rides on trains and trucks so it could work.

It's also canon that John has been to America (it's mentioned that that he got attacked by a cougar and bit it to death there in GNG volume 2), so a Gaiden story focusing on John's time in America could also be a possibility.

Banners and avatar by me

WolfKing

Post by WolfKing » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Now that's an interesting idea. Especially a Gaiden story about John's time in America. i wonder what would be a great setting, like a city like New York or Southern areas where wildlife is more prominent.

It would be great if it is something similar too GNG or Zero, like boy and his dog or the fact that dog's don't talk at all. I've seen quite a few films about Dogs in main roles in recent years like MAX (2015) and a story similar to that would work, though originality is always a key point to compelling stories. What if it would be a dog related or inspired by other famed dogs like Balto and wanting to do something big like him. Or a story based on real life like GNG partly (here about 2 real life incidents are partly glued together)

Wolpard
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Wolpard » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:22 am

WolfKing wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:39 pm
Now that's an interesting idea. Especially a Gaiden story about John's time in America. i wonder what would be a great setting, like a city like New York or Southern areas where wildlife is more prominent.

It would be great if it is something similar too GNG or Zero, like boy and his dog or the fact that dog's don't talk at all. I've seen quite a few films about Dogs in main roles in recent years like MAX (2015) and a story similar to that would work, though originality is always a key point to compelling stories. What if it would be a dog related or inspired by other famed dogs like Balto and wanting to do something big like him. Or a story based on real life like GNG partly (here about 2 real life incidents are partly glued together)
I feel like if it were a Ginga story it would take place in a more rural setting since Ginga stories tend to take place where theres not a whole lot of people/where stray dogs can thrive in large numbers.

...places where you can find giant monster bears lurking in the woods. XD

WolfKing

Post by WolfKing » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:08 am

Wolpard wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:22 am
WolfKing wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:39 pm

I feel like if it were a Ginga story it would take place in a more rural setting since Ginga stories tend to take place where theres not a whole lot of people/where stray dogs can thrive in large numbers.

...places where you can find giant monster bears lurking in the woods. XD
Yeah i know i wouldn't expect bears really in cities unless if they were like coyotes in L.A. XD but what if it would be dogs against criminals like in Mel's story in Weed Gaiden. That actually gave the dogs more depth and it was an interesting departure from the general formula. But rural setting is more fitting to the stories that's true

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”