Ginga confessions

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Re: Ginga confessions

Post by Tikikata » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:04 pm

Probably not a confession in of itself, but weighing in on "Ginga characters are flat" point, I really appreciate when the fandom puts new life in these characters by filling them with headcanons of their own. I don't think this was ever the intention of Yoshi, but just something I've picked up on over the years and grew to love about this fandom.

For a small example, I don't mind Cross having a motherly aspect about her - she is a mother after all - but I wish that wasn't the only establishing trait of hers in the later series. She was originally a fighter, too, and a decent one at that. I wish we could expand on that in canon, but that's really wishy-washy, lol.

:belmond: :gama: :honou: :kurotora: :lloyd: :benizakura: :hyakkiga: :suiga: :whitetiger: :george: :ken: :kagetora: :unsai: :orion: :masamune:

Morti
Champion
Champion

Post by Morti » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Here's my main confession: I haven't kept up with the series since the beginning of GDWO back in 2009/10. I just don't have time for it, haha. GNG and GDW will always, always have a special place in my heart. I tried to keep up with TLW but then it just occurred to me how... uninteresting a lot of Ginga is.

Like some of the characters could have been really good but, lbr, Yoshi ain't the best writer in the world and I'm 99% sure that's he's doing this because he doesn't have a lot of choice. GNG had this great almost fable like quality to the anime and the GDW anime was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed some of the manga arcs that came afterwards. But I feel like the world was not properly expanded upon. There could be a lot of fun to be had.

I would have loved to see more of dog society, and their beliefs... like dog religion and laws and things like that. Idk, maybe that was picked up at some other point, but I can't imagine it would have been satisfying world building if it was.

also Weed was the best character in GDW and I really enjoyed him even in the anime and I'm so mad that he turned out to be such a bad father. Like dude. Look me in the eyes and tell me that Weed wouldn't try his best for his kids even if he had no idea what he was doing.
Just a panda lost in space
♥Gundam♥ ♥Megami Tensei♥ ♥Legend of the Galactic Heroes♥
♥Gloryhammer♥ ♥Dynasty Warriors♥

Please tell me about your characters!!

Atha
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Atha » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:10 am

Morti wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:01 pm
Like some of the characters could have been really good but, lbr, Yoshi ain't the best writer in the world and I'm 99% sure that's he's doing this because he doesn't have a lot of choice. GNG had this great almost fable like quality to the anime and the GDW anime was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed some of the manga arcs that came afterwards. But I feel like the world was not properly expanded upon. There could be a lot of fun to be had.
I wish there was more worldbuilding too... like for example in the Russian arc the Russian dogs had a background story, a motive and a mission. But for most other villains in Ginga the evil dogs are just armies of thousands of stray dogs who appear out of thin air as if the entirety of Japan kicked its (male) dogs out three times over, and they always do the same thing: follow a big scary guy who wants to take over.
icon by azzai

Kaiken
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Kaiken » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:04 am

A bit weird confession here:
as a child I had GDW opening parody about dental hygene. I remember the first modified song's words were ''in this cruel world where we forget to brush our teeth...''. I had the entire GDW tv series parodized, too, about this theme, but I don't remember much of it. I do know I had full lyrics with illustrations of song parody written down somewhere. Well, I suppose that's just how much I've always loved these series. Back then, and no less now. Haha, probably even more now, if only that was possible!
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
YAMATO4EVER

Gingaddict
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Gingaddict » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:08 pm

Here's a weird confession for you -

I thought John and Jerome were the same dog as I was introduced through the music videos on Youtude so I thought John was like a demon possessing Jerome only to find out they were two totally different dogs!

I also watched Ginga Densetsu Weed before Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and heard about certain character deaths before watching but still sobbed when John and Jerome died.

And I do prefer the anime shows over the Mangas as like people say, it had more focus and didn't forget about characters whereas the Mangas have been guilty of that for some time now.

And my personal favourite, I prefer the scene where Weed meets Gin in the anime over the manga as we get that cute scene with Weed nuzzling Gin!
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!

Kaiken
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Kaiken » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:41 pm

Gingaddict wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:08 pm
Here's a weird confession for you -

I thought John and Jerome were the same dog as I was introduced through the music videos on Youtude so I thought John was like a demon possessing Jerome only to find out they were two totally different dogs!

I also watched Ginga Densetsu Weed before Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and heard about certain character deaths before watching but still sobbed when John and Jerome died.
SAME HERE for these two! Except I didn't think Jerome was possesed hahahah :D
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
YAMATO4EVER

Shining Sirius
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Shining Sirius » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:37 pm

Even though I watched the GDW anime before I read the manga, I'm still peeved that Kyoushiro's 'cry as much as you want' speech was cut. That, to me, is Kyoushiro's defining moment. :kyoushiro:
:riki: :gin: :john: :ben: :gdwcross: :akatora: :moss: :akame: :terry: :mangahakuro: :mukonga: :thousanddragon: :gaia: :weed: :ken: :kagetora: :kaibutsu: :reika: :kyoushiro: :toube: :saheiji: :masamune: :gdwokotetsu: :sirius: :monsoon: :bearchibi: :noah: :lonelyron: :bull: :gama2:

Spirit Tree
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Spirit Tree » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:08 pm

Shining Sirius wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:37 pm
Even though I watched the GDW anime before I read the manga, I'm still peeved that Kyoushiro's 'cry as much as you want' speech was cut. That, to me, is Kyoushiro's defining moment. :kyoushiro:
I pretty much agree with this.

And yet in the manga, is it a wonder that he’s forgotten about that speech and said the exact opposite to Hirota in GDN after he turns into Jyoushiro? What the hell did he do to himself to go from Kyoushiro to Jyoushiro?
:tfw_aokabuto2:
:mangariki: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :mel:
:sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :izou:

Atha
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Atha » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:35 am

Shining Sirius wrote:
I am sad that this was cut too, as it's a great message in a Super Manly series, one that BOYS MUST HEAR.

But I guess they had to because Weed had no reason to break down since in the anime the Sinper subplot was totally cut out.
icon by azzai

WolfKing
Potential
Potential

Post by WolfKing » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:24 am

Shining Sirius wrote:
Me too

I actually watched the anime before reading the manga too naturally, and after i read them i felt immediately that the manga is much better than the anime. The anime is entertaining sure, but i think it lacks depth when it comes to some characters and emotion. The way they cut out many characters like Daisuke and Sniper among others and omitting certain subplots made it lose some of its heart and emotion GNG was able to bring.

Shining Sirius
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Shining Sirius » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 am

Atha wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:35 am
Shining Sirius wrote:
I am sad that this was cut too, as it's a great message in a Super Manly series, one that BOYS MUST HEAR.

But I guess they had to because Weed had no reason to break down since in the anime the Sinper subplot was totally cut out.
Especially in a country like Japan where they still such a toxic masculine culture. It's a rare enough message to tell boys here in the West, let alone in the Far East.

I was thinking it would've been nice for it to have been squeezed in during the hot spring scene after Tesshin delivers Gin's message and Jerome basically tells Weed, a crying child placed in charge of an entire army, to suck it up. :EMPTY:
:riki: :gin: :john: :ben: :gdwcross: :akatora: :moss: :akame: :terry: :mangahakuro: :mukonga: :thousanddragon: :gaia: :weed: :ken: :kagetora: :kaibutsu: :reika: :kyoushiro: :toube: :saheiji: :masamune: :gdwokotetsu: :sirius: :monsoon: :bearchibi: :noah: :lonelyron: :bull: :gama2:

Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:07 am

On a related note:

I like how Weed completely loses it upon hearing of Gin's "death" and goes after Sniper to avenge him, kicking the ass of anyone trying to get in his way. It kinda goes against his established character, yes, but it's one of the few times he seems flawed and human instead of some nigh-divine incorruptible, always-good entity*, and there's decent shock value to seeing such a gentle character just snap and go out for blood. I think it's a shame there wasn't an equivalent to that scene in the manga.

*At least prior to the clusterfuck his character became after GDW.

Banners and avatar by me

JiiJoo
Recruit
Recruit

Post by JiiJoo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:58 am

I'm really not so connected to ginga as of now

Ginga used to be one of the things I really liked and enjoyed reading/watching but I feel after the first half TLW I started to lose my passion about It, especially after I became a story creator myself.

The stories are now really messy and predictable, characters became more bland and one-dimensional, yes writing In ginga wasn't that amazing but now It became so bad.

What happened to ginga where any character could die? now everyone is have that one "shocking" moment where they are "dead" but oh! they're actually alive!

I still have some love left for the series but I'm not expecting much from It
:bon: :bella: :maxim: :lydia: :aram: :pinkdragon:
*Insert Intresting something*

Kaiken
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Kaiken » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 am

JiiJoo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:58 am
I'm really not so connected to ginga as of now

Ginga used to be one of the things I really liked and enjoyed reading/watching but I feel after the first half TLW I started to lose my passion about It, especially after I became a story creator myself.

The stories are now really messy and predictable, characters became more bland and one-dimensional, yes writing In ginga wasn't that amazing but now It became so bad.

What happened to ginga where any character could die? now everyone is have that one "shocking" moment where they are "dead" but oh! they're actually alive!

I still have some love left for the series but I'm not expecting much from It
But many important characters died in TLW.
:hiro: :lydia: :musashi: :jaguar: :sirius: :kenshin: :mangachourou:
Favorites:
YAMATO4EVER

Spirit Tree
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Spirit Tree » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 pm

I prefer the mangas more than the anime. But I would also prefer new anime and remakes.

I just think that the mangas have greater action than entertainment than the anime. If the anime worked exactly like the mangas, I would have been grateful. I would have been happy if the anime were to work in he exact same way as the mangas. George never appeared in the GDW anime. So that’s one way of making it work if he were to appear.

I think there should be anime remakes of GNG and GDW so they would work exactly like the mangas that time. And also make them the same length and stories as in the mangas. Then there could be GDWO, TLW, and GDN anime in the future. I would totally find those new anime just as entertaining as the mangas.
:mangariki: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :mel:
:sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :izou:

Wolpard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Wolpard » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:50 pm

Spirit Tree wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 pm
I prefer the mangas more than the anime. But I would also prefer new anime and remakes.

I just think that the mangas have greater action than entertainment than the anime. If the anime worked exactly like the mangas, I would have been grateful. I would have been happy if the anime were to work in he exact same way as the mangas. George never appeared in the GDW anime. So that’s one way of making it work if he were to appear.

I think there should be anime remakes of GNG and GDW so they would work exactly like the mangas that time. And also make them the same length and stories as in the mangas. Then there could be GDWO, TLW, and GDN anime in the future. I would totally find those new anime just as entertaining as the mangas.
I also really want to see a GNG/GDW remake just for the sake of getting more of the series adapted in the future (since I highly doubt we will just get Orion after all these years).

Plus there's a lot of flaws in both the anime and manga I would like to see changed. I know people get nostalgic about the GNG anime specifically but there's a LOT to improve on. Especially that sexism issue. :tfw_bella1:

Kaiken
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Kaiken » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:57 am

Wolpard wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:50 pm
Spirit Tree wrote:

I also really want to see a GNG/GDW remake just for the sake of getting more of the series adapted in the future (since I highly doubt we will just get Orion after all these years).

Plus there's a lot of flaws in both the anime and manga I would like to see changed. I know people get nostalgic about the GNG anime specifically but there's a LOT to improve on. Especially that sexism issue. :tfw_bella1:
That last part wouldn't be changed, because it also exists in comics. It's a huge part of Ginga. :jeromeder:
Favorites:
YAMATO4EVER

Dragon
Upholder
Upholder

Post by Dragon » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:03 am

Kaiken wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:57 am
Wolpard wrote:
Spirit Tree wrote:

That last part wouldn't be changed, because it also exists in comics. It's a huge part of Ginga. :jeromeder:
Sad truth. Even in modern shonen, women being lesser than men is a theme talked about still, and even when it's to say the idea is wrong, the female character is still noticeably less focused on and given less to do as if they actually do still believe that idea.

Wolpard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Wolpard » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:53 am

Kaiken wrote:
Wolpard wrote:
Spirit Tree wrote:

Hey anime changes manga stuff all the time. If they can make Jerome die in the anime they can make the female characters actually do stuff. :orion3:

Kaiken
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Kaiken » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:55 pm

Wolpard wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:53 am
Kaiken wrote:
Wolpard wrote:

Hey anime changes manga stuff all the time. If they can make Jerome die in the anime they can make the female characters actually do stuff. :orion3:
Good point, but Jerome's death was kinda meant to be just for shock value and for him to come back later. But still they did it and yea they can change stuff, if they'd want to. Only they probably don't even want to. =/
Favorites:
YAMATO4EVER

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”