Why do you like Ginga

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
FoxxTrott
Recruit
Recruit

Why do you like Ginga

Post by FoxxTrott »

Hello! :surprisegin: I was wondering what in particular made you enjoy Ginga and how you discovered it. Please share you ginga journey.
For me it's that they are all dogs and I love dogs but they seem so much more than that it's almost as if those dogs are more human than a lot of people I discovered Ginga through searching for good shows with dogs as main character and just fell in love
Phantom Riki
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Why do you like Ginga

Post by Phantom Riki »

So here we go.
I first got a know about Ginga when I first saw GDW on TV in 2011.Seeing dogs talk alone made me fall in love with it.But there was a twist, just when me and my friends were getting fully into it the channel decided to stop it.I was very sad at that time.I barely managed to watch first 6 episodes.The year was 2011.

Fast forward 2016,I got to know that all the 26 episodes are available on YT.I was really happy and finished watching it,I remember how everybody used to mention in GDW how Weed looked a lot like Gin when he was younger.So i assumed there should be a series about Gin's childhood as well and I wasn't wrong.
With characters like Riki,John,Gin,etc.becoming my favorites...it became my favorite dog series.I'm so happy that I got to know about it😃😃
Power isn't Justice.Justice is Power!!
Previously known as Mr Charisma
FoxxTrott
Recruit
Recruit

Post by FoxxTrott »

Mr Charisma wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:01 pm So here we go.
I first got a know about Ginga when I first saw GDW on TV in 2011.Seeing dogs talk alone made me fall in love with it.But there was a twist, just when me and my friends were getting fully into it the channel decided to stop it.I was very sad at that time.I barely managed to watch first 6 episodes.The year was 2011.

Fast forward 2016,I got to know that all the 26 episodes are available on YT.I was really happy and finished watching it,I remember how everybody used to mention in GDW how Weed looked a lot like Gin when he was younger.So i assumed there should be a series about Gin's childhood as well and I wasn't wrong.
With characters like Riki,John,Gin,etc.becoming my favorites...it became my favorite dog series.I'm so happy that I got to know about it😃😃
Thankyou for sharing your story I share the love you have for the series
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

I've gotta say I find some of the characters very charming 🤤 but also that it's so original! It's emotional and well made
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
18Gingasoldier
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 18Gingasoldier »

I first knew of GDW in July 2011, I was searching through GoogleImages and there I found a recolor of anime Weed as if it were Joe...
I made sure I watched GNG before GDW xd

After that, I joined a Ginga Spanish forum and GingaBoard in 2012, and GingaScans in 2013.
I pretty much liked the series because dogs and nostalgia, but given I was young when I first saw it, I was impressed by the lessons and messages (I know, corny, right? To be fair, most of it is, haha).
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

18Gingasoldier wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:11 pm I first knew of GDW in July 2011, I was searching through GoogleImages and there I found a recolor of anime Weed as if it were Joe...

After that, I joined a Ginga Spanish forum and GingaBoard in 2012, and GingaScans in 2013.
I pretty much liked the series because dogs and nostalgia, but given I was young when I first saw it, I was impressed by the lessons and messages (I know, corny, right? To be fair, most of it is, haha).
It is corny, but it's pretty clever also. Of course it is corny to teach good manners through animated dogs but it seems to work :EXCITE:
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

18Gingasoldier wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:11 pm I first knew of GDW in July 2011, I was searching through GoogleImages and there I found a recolor of anime Weed as if it were Joe...

Corny is good. Especially in these times and in this world:)
Have a nice day!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

An online friend told me about Ginga in... 2008 I think? I don't remember the exact year. She listed GDW first so I assumed that was the one I was supposed to watch first, oops. XD

I basically enjoy it because its different/weird. Something about bushido dogs is just very appealing. I like dog stuff but I don't seek it out quite as much because dogs aren't necessarily my favorite animals (to be fair i dont even know what my favorite animals are but I think of myself as more of a reptile person) and dog-related stuff is usually more childish (not that I don't like stuff aimed at kids- but Ginga is a totally different take). I also like the art style when it's at its strongest. I know the GDW anime and Yoshi's later manga work can look pretty funky but when he tries I think it looks good. (I just wish he would fix his same face syndrome.)
zj
Adviser
Adviser

Post by zj »

Fell in love with it and the whole anime style when I was like 5 years old and got the VHS for christmas :surprisegin: :derpgin: good times!

It just felt so different from Disney and Looney Tunes that I was used to. Violence on a whole other level that I never saw in animation before. Plus I always wanted to see the things that got cut out for the longest time, me and other kids would constantly discuss why Riki suddenly died at the end of the swedish version. :tfw_aokabuto1:
FoxxTrott
Recruit
Recruit

Post by FoxxTrott »

I love how everyone has there own story thankyou everyone for sharing
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

First time I noticed Ginga Nagareboshi Gin was in Manga Mania, there was a story about it. I fell in love with Ginga because it was about dogs. I was 8 years old. I started to looking for anime, manga and more. I was lucky and found two english books in a store here in Sweden. SO LUCKY! But I couldn't read english well so it was hard to understand XD I still love dogs, even more that they could talk. They also have really cool armos! Like Gamu! Ginga also have really good stories, different characters, attacks and so much more. Now I'm 23 years and I still love Ginga. <3
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
FoxxTrott
Recruit
Recruit

Post by FoxxTrott »

Raki wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:39 am First time I noticed Ginga Nagareboshi Gin was in Manga Mania, there was a story about it. I fell in love with Ginga because it was about dogs. I was 8 years old. I started to looking for anime, manga and more. I was lucky and found two english books in a store here in Sweden. SO LUCKY! But I couldn't read english well so it was hard to understand XD I still love dogs, even more that they could talk. They also have really cool armos! Like Gamu! Ginga also have really good stories, different characters, attacks and so much more. Now I'm 23 years and I still love Ginga. <3
Thankyou for sharing :surprisegin: and you must be the luckiest person ever to find ginga in English :EXCITE:
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

Raki wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:39 am First time I noticed Ginga Nagareboshi Gin was in Manga Mania, there was a story about it. I fell in love with Ginga because it was about dogs. I was 8 years old. I started to looking for anime, manga and more. I was lucky and found two english books in a store here in Sweden. SO LUCKY! But I couldn't read english well so it was hard to understand XD I still love dogs, even more that they could talk. They also have really cool armos! Like Gamu! Ginga also have really good stories, different characters, attacks and so much more. Now I'm 23 years and I still love Ginga. <3
If something has been proved along the years, it is that Ginga doesn't look at your age when it hooks ya 😍
FoxxTrott
Recruit
Recruit

Post by FoxxTrott »

Nuulo27 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:33 pm
If something has been proved along the years, it is that Ginga doesn't look at your age when it hooks ya 😍
That is very true :tfw_bella2:
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

FoxxTrott wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:38 pm
Nuulo27 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:33 pm
That is very true :tfw_bella2:
:tfw_rigel3:
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
skinklegs
Friend
Friend

Post by skinklegs »

Honestly? I don't know! :tfw_bella2:

I've always been drawn to this kind of media, though. I love Watership Down, I watched The Animals of Farthing Wood when I was younger, read White Fang and The Call of the Wild and all that. Ginga just fits in that niche, I guess.

I found Ginga about 13 years ago when I was just a wee kid, and it's been hugely influential for me since then. A lot of my favorite original characters and stories draw inspiration from early Ginga. That's a big part of the reason it's so near and dear to me.
FoxxTrott
Recruit
Recruit

Post by FoxxTrott »

skinklegs wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:15 pm Honestly? I don't know! :tfw_bella2:

I've always been drawn to this kind of media, though. I love Watership Down, I watched The Animals of Farthing Wood when I was younger, read White Fang and The Call of the Wild and all that. Ginga just fits in that niche, I guess.

I found Ginga about 13 years ago when I was just a wee kid, and it's been hugely influential for me since then. A lot of my favorite original characters and stories draw inspiration from early Ginga. That's a big part of the reason it's so near and dear to me.
That's awesome I also enjoy those as well thankyou for sharing
Last edited by FoxxTrott on Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
FoxxTrott
Recruit
Recruit

Post by FoxxTrott »

skinklegs wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:15 pm Honestly? I don't know! :tfw_bella2:

That's awesome I also enjoy those as well thankyou for sharing
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Mostly because of interest of seeing dogs as the main focus of a manga. I like the actions in it while also disliking some contents throughout the series.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I was introduced to it through Youtube recommending it when I was looking at videos of Balto so I decided to take a look at it, I watched GDW first because that's what I saw he most from.

I mainly liked it because of it was about dogs, it had good action, emotional scenes but also great friendships and relationships, showing how much they cared about each other, sometimes even caring about each other before meeting (Gin and Weed for example) and real heroes to root for and real villains to hate and some to even sympathise with. There was such a big range of things it had that drew me into it that I checked everything else involving it and the rest is history.

The best in my opinion is the GDW anime and the worst is Ginga Densetsu Noah
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”