What is your favourite thing about the Ginga series/what made you become a fan?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

What is your favourite thing about the Ginga series/what made you become a fan?

Post by Arano »

The Ginga series is quite personal to me, and it must be to you guys too otherwise why would you be here amiright? ;P

I'm just curious about what people love about it, even if it's purely done nothing but scratch a hobby itch (collecting, translating).
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: What is your favourite thing about the Ginga series/what made you become a fan?

Post by JazzyJazz »

Well, as someone who’s a sucker for talking animal stories to begin with, Ginga got my attention immediately because of that. It might not be the Shakespeare of mangas when it comes to story and characters, but I’d re-read all of the The Sickle Tossing Game in TLW then pick up something like Twilight.
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: What is your favourite thing about the Ginga series/what made you become a fan?

Post by Atha »

It got my attention because it 1. Was mostly from the dogs' POV (later on) instead of the humans, for once 2. It wasn't for little children. I love novels like White Fang and Watership Down where everything is brutal and death is everywhere instead of nature being kiddified. We have this weird attitude that animal stories=for preschool kids.

So Ginga was very refreshing on that aspect.
icon by azzai
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

I am sucker for samurai stuff and bushido.I kinda feel like I'm a minority who's not mainly interested in Ginga because it has dogs. I like animals and dogs but I don't think it really has affected my liking to the series other than that samurai dogs is quite unsual idea I like seeing.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Doragon wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:17 am I am sucker for samurai stuff and bushido.I kinda feel like I'm a minority who's not mainly interested in Ginga because it has dogs. I like animals and dogs but I don't think it really has affected my liking to the series other than that samurai dogs is quite unsual idea I like seeing.
Oho you and the lovely Tikikata share a common interest on the samurai side then! I've always found her history knowledge impressive, it's nice to have two of you :EXCITE:

My love for Ginga echos what people have already said - I'm a sucker for talking animal animated shows, and the warlord samurai MANRY HONOUR storylines from the POV of dogs was just cool and original to me. It also lead me to the interest in Japanese Akita as well, having never seen one before (American Akita are quite common, but Japanese are rare in the south of UK where I live). I got super into their breed history and breed personality to the point where my goal is to own one, and is still a dream I've saved up for... 6/7 years later haha. It's a driving force behind my goal of having a house... and by extension, professional goals too in order to achieve the financial goals... so... jfc that means Ginga has been the catalyst of my big life choices.

brb having an existential crisis.
Bolty
Potential
Potential

Post by Bolty »

Soo many things for this question:
First of all, just like Atha said, that isn't for children. My first impression was "wait a moment... blood? deads? violence?... I like it." I'm not a bloody person and I don't like violences on the animals but for this case, I don't know.. love at first sight? The proof that even a cartoon with talking dogs can have some "adult themes".
Second, the classic shonen plot, the little protagonist's journey to became the strongest of all with his experiences and meetings with friends/foes. But in particular the themes of the series in general: sense of justice, of honor, sacrifice, friendship and all the good stuff we all know <3

And how about the "talking-flying ninja dogs"? Just saying. :FLY:

:akatora: :ben: :benizakura: :gb: :gin: :kurotora: :jerome: :gdwjohn: :riki: :tesshin: :toube:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

It being one of the only anime series to have only dogs and still have a serious sort of plot. The added action makes it really cool too, giving a good thing to imagine when bored xD

ImageImage
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

Arano wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:08 pm
Doragon wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:17 am I am sucker for samurai stuff and bushido.I kinda feel like I'm a minority who's not mainly interested in Ginga because it has dogs. I like animals and dogs but I don't think it really has affected my liking to the series other than that samurai dogs is quite unsual idea I like seeing.
Oho you and the lovely Tikikata share a common interest on the samurai side then! I've always found her history knowledge impressive, it's nice to have two of you :EXCITE:
OMG ARANO STOOOOPP <3 <3

No, but seriously, the fact that a lot of these characters are either based on or have some kind of history with famous Sengoku-era samurai and daimyou is literally my entire fascination with this series (it's why Kacchuu no Senshi Gamu is my favorite story by Yoshi).

And, I might be a minority here, but I actually don't mind all the "kindness trumps war" speeches in GDW (even though I'm not a big fan of Weed); I've always been on the side that friendship and companionship (both between the humans/dogs and dogs/dogs) is really important part of life, and without it, there would never be peace. The deaths in GNG and GDW have affected me to the point where I'm in tears and not a lot of series really can do that for me.

Ginga is just overall really enjoyable for me, being an animal lover, and I'm a huge fan of the stories, characters, and art style.

Plus Belmondo, Kurotora, George, and Lloyd are my children and I'LL ALWAYS LOVE THEM *squeaks*
GingaBoard's Resident Lloyd Fan
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

Pure Bushido mentality plus a lifelong love of dogs.
Ginga is filled with unrepentant classic Japanese culture, unlike all the westernized/American content in recent anime/manga series. The only thing that is western about it is some of the dog breeds/names. That is what is so interesting to me, along with bits of history that Yoshi weaves in amid the fanatasy (GDA, Gamu). It fiills so much more real to me.
Yoshihiro himself is also a big reason I stay. He doesn't care about new age crap, works his ass off, his personality is even like his damn dogs (back of a GDWO volume he wrote that his blood pressure was high but he promised a golf game with his buds so he pushed through it FOR THE CAUSE)! With a lot of his stuff being unknown and/or taken out of context overseas, Yoshi is so relatable to a wanna be writer like me. He's a poster child for grace under fire (1 week for TLW? pushes THROUGH).
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

I noticed Ginga for first time in Manga Mania. I always been a fan of dogs and wolves. That's why I found it very interesting with an anime with talking dogs. I was a fan of pokemon, yu-gi-oh, Dragonball at the time. So I was used to violence in anime. I was 8 years old hehe..
I started to watch it with deleted scenes. I didn't know there were undeleted scenes. I thought it was weird Riki was dead but nothing happened before.. SO I found the undeleted edition and fell in love again. Really awesome action scenes, friendship, loyalty, sadness, hatred and so much more!! A really well done anime with a deep story. Really cool dogs, flying dogs, dogs that never dies (Ben).
Then I was stuck with Ginga. B) And still I am now. <3
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
caninesrock
Supreme
Supreme

Post by caninesrock »

The talking feral dogs living in the wilderness as I was really into the Warrior Cats series at the time when I discovered the GDW anime and the GDW anime seemed like Warrior Cats, but with dogs and as an anime instead of a book.
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Just two words, two words! DOG. ARMIES.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
ZackThePuppy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZackThePuppy »

I discovered Ginga when I was 14. I'd always been into animal movies/shows, and was going through a phase in my young teens where I liked violent things (I was also super into Watership Down at the time). So when I found GDW episodes on YouTube (back when you could watch anime episodes in 3 parts on YouTube), I was like "Yep, this is a much watch," XD. I guess I've always liked Ginga's refusal to sugarcoat things and show the realities of war and animals living in the wild.
Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba »

I saw an episode advertised on Youtube back when i watched Wolf's Rain on there, I thought Weed was a husky at first XD Since I love animals, I was instantly hooked, and have been ever since :) Although I admit i like the manga better. I watched the anime first, but upon reading the manga and seeing how much the anime either missed out or screwed up, I turned to reading the manga rather than watching the anime.
Moth-chan

Post by Moth-chan »

I first watched GDW when I was in elementary school. It was the first violent show I had ever seen and I think it helped me get over my fears of blood and death. I think it helped me "grow up" a little which is something I needed at the time. My favorite thing about it is how real the characters feel sometimes
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

I first got into it when I was in my "wolf phase" back in Elementary school by watching the anime in 3 parts on YouTube. And dogs being basically wolves, of course I watched it. Like Moth-chan it also helped me get over getting squeamish with blood and stuff in movies/TV. And of course, as most preteens are, I was edgy so I thought the fighting and stuff was cool. I also found it unique because it wasn't like most other media about animals which is aimed at a younger audience.

I mainly got back into it out of nostalgia though and also Im fond of the unique art style and character designs too (if only Yoshi was a bit better and differentiating between characters of the same breed). I'm still very much into animals but wolves/dogs aren't a specific interest for me as I'm personally more into reptiles and extinct fauna. Also I just think a lot of the concepts with manly dogs (though I wish it wasnt so sexist :/), tree-jumping ninja dogs, dogs with scythes and swords, etc. Its all just pretty wild and fun to think about.
CaninesRAwesome

Post by CaninesRAwesome »

I literally just googled “dog anime” and found ginga! I love dogs and anime and I was like “I’ve never seen a dog anime it wouldn’t hurt to search” it’s crazy I didn’t know about it sooner!!!
~Dog Mom~
Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

me and my cousin (who is the user here Dragoon) watched Ginga Densetsu Weed in parts on Youtube when we were tweens! after that came Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, and joining the original GingaBoard after her suggesting so! it was the 2nd forum I ever joined and I would never have thought at the time that I'd still be here online and active to this day!

I think what drew me into it was the fact it was about dogs/animals from the viewpoint of the animals (it was my main interest as far as cartoons/films/books at the time) and it was cool, different, fun. it was also very serious business which was obviously appealing to a kid who wanted nothing more than to be taken seriously and to find a reason for life. it just came into my life at the right time that it has stuck with me over the years, and each new instalment refreshes my interest. even despite all the glaring problems with it (the way Pink Dragon was described, the way women/girls are treat in the story, the storytelling, the pacing, the cyclical/repetitive nature) I always come back!
:akame:
Known as ep or eraserplains, active on Bluesky and Tumblr
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

The main focus on dogs made me a fan of the Ginga series. I just love things that focus on dogs as the main perspective because it’s fun to see dogs take action and see or hear them talk. Also because I do like dogs.

My favorite thing is the action and adventure, as well as funny moments throughout.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

Mainly got my attention as talking dog stories movies, books and comics are my guilty pleasure.
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”