Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Post Reply
User avatar
Digsu
Legend
Legend
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Finland

Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

Post by Digsu » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:19 pm

This is an excerpt from an interview included in the Finnish edition of Byakuren no Fang volume 2. There's no mention of where it was originally published but there's a note saying it was in 2011. I took the liberty of translating it as it's a pretty interesting piece of Ginga trivia.
"I named it Ginga, "silver fang", so that it could also refer to animals other than dogs. Like sharks and lions, anything with fangs. I was planning to divide it into ten one-chapter manga stories about different animals. That's why I was planning on ending it during the Akakabuto arc, when the dogs are running towards the bear. However, the publisher and readers thought it was just starting to get interesting and I should definitely continue it. Wait, what? You really want the dogs to fight a bear? Even bearhounds do nothing but keep the bear in place. They'd die in seconds if they actually tried to bite it. I initially thought it was completely impossible. :-D"
Imagine that instead of the ongoing adventures of the Bearhound Family and Friends, we almost had one-shots about dogs and sharks and lions (oh my!) instead.



Banners and avatar by me

User avatar
Atha
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Re: Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

Post by Atha » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks for the info! If he had ended it before the final fight it would have been just anticlimatic as hell, so for once I agree with the publishers' meddling. All this build up for the final fight for nothing? I wouldn't mind if it'd ended with Gin and his friends dying at the end like he then wanted, but a fight to happen was necessary.

Also more animal stories than just dogs would've been great!

User avatar
Tora
Legend
Legend
Posts: 13777
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:32 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

Post by Tora » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:31 pm

This... this... THIS IS INTERESTING TO KNOW!
That is something to put in Trivia absolutly!
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera and Nokorde, when its my time I come

Avatar made by ArcticLune
Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

User avatar
methpring
Friend
Friend
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:20 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

Post by methpring » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:42 pm

This interview is from 3rd edition of Byakuren no Fang.
Image
My Ginga collections:
Team Sirius :sirius:

User avatar
Shiruba
Legend
Legend
Posts: 1312
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:02 pm
Location: Grimsby, England

Re: Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

Post by Shiruba » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:03 pm

Huh... I wonder what direction it would have gone in if sharks and lions were included?
RIP Nan February 1929-May 21st 2019. I'll never stop loving you, and I'll never stop missing you. Take care of yourself.

RIP Nanna, I'll never stop loving you either. Look after each other

Image
Image
Banner by Tikikata :D

User avatar
Flanoir
Recruit
Recruit
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:12 pm
Location: Corsica, France

Re: Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

Post by Flanoir » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:40 pm

I also wonder if he is referring to the build-up to the final battle or if it may have been an earlier scene, like maybe around the time he eventually had the dogs talk? (Not having them talking before is also consistent with this info, this is pretty interesting)

User avatar
Dragon
Seasoned
Seasoned
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: Nohr
Contact:

Re: Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

Post by Dragon » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Wait, what? You really want the dogs to fight a bear? Even bearhounds do nothing but keep the bear in place. They'd die in seconds if they actually tried to bite it. I initially thought it was completely impossible. :-D"
............LMAO. :surprisegin:
Even Yoshi just couldn't handle that level of impossible. I feel bad he had to make even more impossible things happened at this point. It's no wonder Orion is so OP, he's probably just pushing it more and more for the lulz at this point.
Aaaaaa. It makes me feel a bit bad, but I'll still enjoy the over-the-top story he made for us. I would've approved everyone dying as well, like Atha said. Gotta thank the editors and fans for speaking up so it didn't just... end.

edit: You know, John said this same thing LOL John was secretly right all along. Shoulda stayed with the doc
Image

User avatar
Digsu
Legend
Legend
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:28 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

Post by Digsu » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:52 pm

Flanoir wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:40 pm
I also wonder if he is referring to the build-up to the final battle or if it may have been an earlier scene, like maybe around the time he eventually had the dogs talk? (Not having them talking before is also consistent with this info, this is pretty interesting)
My guess would be either the scene where where Gohei's dogs are tracking Akakabuto or the one where Ben's platoon attacks and kills a bear, or maybe even a scene that didn't make it into the final story at all. Since he said he wanted to make each animal only have one chapter and that the story was only "starting to get interesting" by the time he wanted to end it I doubt he was referring to the final battle.



Banners and avatar by me

User avatar
Atha
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Re: Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

Post by Atha » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Dragon wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm
Wait, what? You really want the dogs to fight a bear? Even bearhounds do nothing but keep the bear in place. They'd die in seconds if they actually tried to bite it. I initially thought it was completely impossible. :-D"
............LMAO. :surprisegin:
Even Yoshi just couldn't handle that level of impossible. I feel bad he had to make even more impossible things happened at this point. It's no wonder Orion is so OP, he's probably just pushing it more and more for the lulz at this point.
Aaaaaa. It makes me feel a bit bad, but I'll still enjoy the over-the-top story he made for us. I would've approved everyone dying as well, like Atha said. Gotta thank the editors and fans for speaking up so it didn't just... end.

edit: You know, John said this same thing LOL John was secretly right all along. Shoulda stayed with the doc
It might have gone like

"Okay I m stopping this story because dogs can't kill giant bears, I'll leave it to the imagination as they march."
"Absolutely not! You are writing and drawing the entire battle!"
"Uh, okay. Then I'll have Gin be a real shooting star and die young, and most of the cast dies heroically for each other."
"Negative! Gin must live!!! You can only kill 3 characters! And the bears must die!"
"FINE so now Riki has a special Shounen Power that decapitates bears and could have used all along but didn't till now for some reason?!"
"That's better!"

User avatar
Tora
Legend
Legend
Posts: 13777
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:32 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Ginga wasn't originally supposed to be just about dogs

Post by Tora » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:03 am

Atha wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:59 pm
Dragon wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm
Wait, what? You really want the dogs to fight a bear? Even bearhounds do nothing but keep the bear in place. They'd die in seconds if they actually tried to bite it. I initially thought it was completely impossible. :-D"
............LMAO. :surprisegin:
Even Yoshi just couldn't handle that level of impossible. I feel bad he had to make even more impossible things happened at this point. It's no wonder Orion is so OP, he's probably just pushing it more and more for the lulz at this point.
Aaaaaa. It makes me feel a bit bad, but I'll still enjoy the over-the-top story he made for us. I would've approved everyone dying as well, like Atha said. Gotta thank the editors and fans for speaking up so it didn't just... end.

edit: You know, John said this same thing LOL John was secretly right all along. Shoulda stayed with the doc
It might have gone like

"Okay I m stopping this story because dogs can't kill giant bears, I'll leave it to the imagination as they march."
"Absolutely not! You are writing and drawing the entire battle!"
"Uh, okay. Then I'll have Gin be a real shooting star and die young, and most of the cast dies heroically for each other."
"Negative! Gin must live!!! You can only kill 3 characters! And the bears must die!"
"FINE so now Riki has a special Shounen Power that decapitates bears and could have used all along but didn't till now for some reason?!"
"That's better!"
I can totally see that convo go that way!
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera and Nokorde, when its my time I come

Avatar made by ArcticLune
Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki

Post Reply

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”