Why do you like Ginga?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Wolpard
Friend
Friend

Why do you like Ginga?

Post by Wolpard » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Sometimes I have trouble justifying why I enjoy Ginga. After all, I dont think the stories are written very well, theres justified and glorified animal abuse, the characters aren't too dimensional, it goes on forever without any real direction, and it's extremely sexist. This is all stuff that would generally drive me away from a series, and yet I really love Ginga?

Personally, I think the reason I enjoy it has to do with the concept (I mean how many warrior dog series are there?), the art style (mainly in the GNG manga but aspects of the other series are good to), and the character designs.

Also just because some stuff is just so damn wild that its amusing. Dogs that can do spiny attacks? Wolves that can control tornados? Giant monster laboratory dogs? Monkeys with axes? Ninja dogs??

Dunno. I guess there's aspects I just find charming cause you can't find it anywhere else, even if it's incredibly flawed as a series.

Dragon
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Why do you like Ginga?

Post by Dragon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:24 am

I'm in the same boat as you XD As much as there's a lot of flaws and downsides to the series, to the point where sharing my love for it might be embarrassing to the casual anime fans, I can't help but stay attached.
I definitely think it's the concept that holds me most. War of good and evil translated into wild dogs/animals. Dogs training and gathering allies to fight a greater evil, meeting all types of armies and breeds, and then the epic fights. I wish the characters could be taken more seriously, but the concept is all I really need.
If Yoshi put effort into his characters and sort of modernized it a little, since realistically girl dogs would be just as capable of fighting and surviving as a wild boy dog, I think it would be greatly improved. Keep all the crazy special moves and ninja dogs and kids winning versus adults. I can deal with that since a lot of shonen anime do that.

You have a point about the art and design choices too. Despite fighting the style a little bizarre sometimes, it's really.. interesting to look at when he puts effort into his pictures.

Wolpard
Friend
Friend

Post by Wolpard » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Dragon wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:24 am
If Yoshi put effort into his characters and sort of modernized it a little, since realistically girl dogs would be just as capable of fighting and surviving as a wild boy dog, I think it would be greatly improved. Keep all the crazy special moves and ninja dogs and kids winning versus adults. I can deal with that since a lot of shonen anime do that.
Sometimes I'm honestly super frustrated about how conservative Yoshi is and how he enforces those values onto dogs of all things. I remember watching the Ginga animes for the first time as a kid and being so upset about how Cross seemed like such a wasted opportunity! She coulda been so cool but then she was tossed aside to have puppies. Imagine how cool Ginga would be if we had some truly badass female characters.

Dragon
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Dragon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:58 am

Wolpard wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:35 pm
Dragon wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:24 am
Sometimes I'm honestly super frustrated about how conservative Yoshi is and how he enforces those values onto dogs of all things. I remember watching the Ginga animes for the first time as a kid and being so upset about how Cross seemed like such a wasted opportunity! She coulda been so cool but then she was tossed aside to have puppies. Imagine how cool Ginga would be if we had some truly badass female characters.
I truly don't understand why he's enforcing it on dogs lol Fine if you want to with humans, and I know the dogs hold human-like values sometimes, but they also sometimes display animal traits too so.... wtf?
It's like a disease to him XD Besides Cross being the only female accepted in, Lydia also got washed down.
She was the only female with the russian troops when crossing the large sea. She is the daughter of a marshal. She fought as equals with the army versus Hakuro's army of 300+ and kept up to speed with them as well. She smoothly dodged an attack from Hakuro's son and was given the duty of killing any escapers/scouts.
Once she became more main, just like Cross, she basically got powered down. She was knocked out in the fight against the traitor russian dogs, was underestimated about crossing the sea again, and later when she fought the polar bear she was knocked down by a scratch (though I still appreciate Yoshi not forgetting she is agile enough to try helping).
And then GDWO.... nothing. She stands around and doesn't say a word when danger is surrounding her kids.

Will it kill Yoshi to even attempt to make a consistently strong female? OTL just one...

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”