Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Vicutooru
Potential
Potential

Re: Unpopular Opinion (Ginga version)

Post by Vicutooru »

I dont like Hiro and everything about his ball snatching personality. It was painful to see from the beginning of his appearance in gdw and i felt sorry for every single victim of his torturing method to emasculate them. Its just not funny. :KRUMP:
:EMPTY:
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

I think people are too hard on Bella, especially in GDWO. I know Ginga could use a female with a personality and role beyond "needing to be rescued/having puppies", but Bella I think gets antagonized too much since she's Weed's daughter. Yeah, it sucks that she's in the background, but I think it's unfair to berate her for being a crybaby, considering she's been in a volcanic eruption that separated her from her family, and for months, she's been in the freezing cold, not knowing if her family and friends are dead or alive, and eventually separated from everyone entirely to live with some humans. The AUs of Bella being a badass are cool, but I feel like those don't give her real character development. Idk, maybe I'm just thinking too hard about it.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Mkay I know this is going to sound horrible but

Gin forbidding his soldiers from killing Akakabuto's infant cubs was 100% the worst way to handle the situation at hand
The only time anything good comes out of it is when Monsoon has flashbacks to Gin saving his life when he sees Sirius, and even that comes off as a massive asspull because it only happens with Sirius, not with, y'know, Gin himself, and regardless of what you think of Sirius (or my opinion of Sirius), it only serves to undermine his message: the only reason Monsoon doesn't smash him into little sticky bits when he starts attempting to communicate with him is purely because he looks like Gin, not some latent goodness in his heart or whatever the narrative was probably going for. "He's totally a good guy, but if you don't look like a carbon copy of the guy who saved his life as a kid, he'd kill you and eat you without a second thought."

Anyway, all in all letting the soldiers kill all bears except the cubs is just moronic. You've murdered their families (sometimes in front of their eyes), driven them from their home, and they've inherited the worst disposition in all of Japan from their father, no shit they're going to plot revenge! Either forbid the soldiers from killing the bears at all, maybe at most allow them to drive them away from your territory (which is admittedly still a bit risky, but would involve far less childhood traumas than what actually happened), or just tell them to sniff out and kill every single bear on the mountains, regardless of age or gender, maybe even put up a bounty system so that dogs all over Japan know to kill red-maned bears on sight, until you're absolutely sure that Akakabuto's lineage has been stamped out for good (which would be a very effective if, y'know, absolutely and utterly horrible solution). But going down the middle road like Gin did is just pure insanity.

Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Digsu wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:03 pm The only time anything good comes out of it is when Monsoon has flashbacks to Gin saving his life when he sees Sirius, and even that comes off as a massive asspull because it only happens with Sirius, not with, y'know, Gin himself, and regardless of what you think of Sirius (or my opinion of Sirius), it only serves to undermine his message: the only reason Monsoon doesn't smash him into little sticky bits when he starts attempting to communicate with him is purely because he looks like Gin, not some latent goodness in his heart or whatever the narrative was probably going for. "He's totally a good guy, but if you don't look like a carbon copy of the guy who saved his life as a kid, he'd kill you and eat you without a second thought."
LMAO this is a really sad realization. Sirius was never right from the start. It was Gin's single kindness that saved Sirius' chance from the very start. So in a not 'plot armor' world, realistically, the story would have ended in half of what it was XD man... just sad.

ImageImage
Hyzenthlay Rose
Banned
Banned

Post by Hyzenthlay Rose »

Digsu wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:03 pm Mkay I know this is going to sound horrible but

Gin forbidding his soldiers from killing Akakabuto's infant cubs was 100% the worst way to handle the situation at hand
The only time anything good comes out of it is when Monsoon has flashbacks to Gin saving his life when he sees Sirius, and even that comes off as a massive asspull because it only happens with Sirius, not with, y'know, Gin himself, and regardless of what you think of Sirius (or my opinion of Sirius), it only serves to undermine his message: the only reason Monsoon doesn't smash him into little sticky bits when he starts attempting to communicate with him is purely because he looks like Gin, not some latent goodness in his heart or whatever the narrative was probably going for. "He's totally a good guy, but if you don't look like a carbon copy of the guy who saved his life as a kid, he'd kill you and eat you without a second thought."

Anyway, all in all letting the soldiers kill all bears except the cubs is just moronic. You've murdered their families (sometimes in front of their eyes), driven them from their home, and they've inherited the worst disposition in all of Japan from their father, no shit they're going to plot revenge! Either forbid the soldiers from killing the bears at all, maybe at most allow them to drive them away from your territory (which is admittedly still a bit risky, but would involve far less childhood traumas than what actually happened), or just tell them to sniff out and kill every single bear on the mountains, regardless of age or gender, maybe even put up a bounty system so that dogs all over Japan know to kill red-maned bears on sight, until you're absolutely sure that Akakabuto's lineage has been stamped out for good (which would be a very effective if, y'know, absolutely and utterly horrible solution). But going down the middle road like Gin did is just pure insanity.
I've never really thought about it this way but after reading this I definitely agree :THOT:
The Gay Jackalope

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story
werewolf
Potential
Potential

Post by werewolf »

Wolpard wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:10 am The beginning of GNG that follows the humans more is a lot better than the rest of GNG.

My guess is this is unpopular because I know we're all in it for the talking battle dogs, and so am I, but in terms of writing, the beginning is just so much more solid. Im assuming this is the case because Yoshi's publishers pushed him to change what he was writing and he stumbled on it a lot. The later half on GNG has way more characters than it knows what to do with, causing a lot of characters to unfortunately fall flat in personality and get pushed off to the side incredibly easily. I get that they're trying to gather a ton of dogs but the way it was executed is sloppy. NGL before I started getting active in the fandom where Im constantly reminded of characters, I forgot most of the cast a little bit after every time I rewatched the anime or read the manga. XD Hell, I still do have to look up characters more often than I should whenever someone mentions a name because there are just way too many shoved into your face in such a short amount of time.
Lol same. I thought the beginning of GNG was really great and suspenseful. When it makes the jump it loses all of that.
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

I prefer Smith as an old man in GDW. :smith:

I feel like I've already talked before about how stupid and grating I find younger Smith's voice in the anime, but it's not only that. I was always puzzled as to how exactly Smith became a commanding officer with his juvenile attitude and clear lack of strength or skill. Whereas, I love his stoic determination, fighting abilities and 'wise elderly guardian' role in GDW.
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

Shining Sirius wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:18 pm I prefer Smith as an old man in GDW. :smith:

I feel like I've already talked before about how stupid and grating I find younger Smith's voice in the anime, but it's not only that. I was always puzzled as to how exactly Smith became a commanding officer with his juvenile attitude and clear lack of strength or skill. Whereas, I love his stoic determination, fighting abilities and 'wise elderly guardian' role in GDW.
100% this. He is so much better in GDW. I wonder if it is an unpopular opinion though? I’ve never really known.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Kasi wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:48 pm
Shining Sirius wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:18 pm I prefer Smith as an old man in GDW. :smith:

100% this. He is so much better in GDW. I wonder if it is an unpopular opinion though? I’ve never really known.
Yeah I wasn't 100% sure if it qualified or not... but I figured that since I've heard a few people in the fandom saying how much they disliked Smith's transformation in GDW, it was enough to make it count. :tfw_orion1:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

This is a peeve I've had with the series for a long time and the most recent GDN chapter has made it resurface something fierce so here goes:

Ginga is proof that attempting to teach "death penalty is bad" using a society that's literally incapable of have a judicial system is doomed to failure
Weed's battle against Crow is a perfect example of this: you can't just ignore him, but you can't kill him either because that'd be against the morals of the Ohu army, so all you can do is rough him up a bit and then let him walk away. So basically your options boil down to "either let him off essentially scot-free or kill him", the former of which is stupid and the last of which is highly ethically questionable. The problem is, human society doesn't work like this. We have prisons to keep criminals in to ensure they don't cause trouble to innocent people, and thanks to our knowledge of medicine and psychology we can attempt to rehabilitate these people, neither of which wild dogs can do. Ginga really tries to push "death penalty is bad, we shouldn't do it" (and credit where credit is due, making this one of the core tenets of your series in a society where the majority of people support it is pretty badass), but the problem is that there is no other viable alternative. They can't throw Hougen in jail or put Masamune on trial for war crimes, all they can do is slap them on the wrist and go "nuh-uh, dat's bad, please don't do it", which 90% of the time doesn't suddenly make them realize their mistakes, it just makes them angrier and the only thing saving the Ohu army from their further wrath is something else killing them before they have the chance of doing that. So basically the moral goes from "don't kill, that's bad" to "bad guys need to die, just make sure you're not the one doing it".

Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

Wow, these really are unpopular opinions 😂 but I'll give mine too

I hate the fact that Weed just suddenly happens to get the role of a leader, even though Gin is just fine and capable to fight. And all that righteousness in Weed is annoying 😂 I even like Orion more than Weed
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

Digsu wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:56 am This is a peeve I've had with the series for a long time and the most recent GDN chapter has made it resurface something fierce so here goes:

Ginga is proof that attempting to teach "death penalty is bad" using a society that's literally incapable of have a judicial system is doomed to failure
Weed's battle against Crow is a perfect example of this: you can't just ignore him, but you can't kill him either because that'd be against the morals of the Ohu army, so all you can do is rough him up a bit and then let him walk away. So basically your options boil down to "either let him off essentially scot-free or kill him", the former of which is stupid and the last of which is highly ethically questionable. The problem is, human society doesn't work like this. We have prisons to keep criminals in to ensure they don't cause trouble to innocent people, and thanks to our knowledge of medicine and psychology we can attempt to rehabilitate these people, neither of which wild dogs can do. Ginga really tries to push "death penalty is bad, we shouldn't do it" (and credit where credit is due, making this one of the core tenets of your series in a society where the majority of people support it is pretty badass), but the problem is that there is no other viable alternative. They can't throw Hougen in jail or put Masamune on trial for war crimes, all they can do is slap them on the wrist and go "nuh-uh, dat's bad, please don't do it", which 90% of the time doesn't suddenly make them realize their mistakes, it just makes them angrier and the only thing saving the Ohu army from their further wrath is something else killing them before they have the chance of doing that. So basically the moral goes from "don't kill, that's bad" to "bad guys need to die, just make sure you're not the one doing it".
The funniest thing is that Weed was super lucky with the main villains: He forbade killing Hougen, but man/lightning killed him, he forbade killing any of the Russian war criminals, Victor got killed by his own, he forbade killing Masamune, he killed himself. None of these villains had any intention to change, Weed's mercy didn't change them. And due to that, the plot had to conveniently kill them without soiling Weed's morality (Sniper was a cop out too).
The ONLY time when mercy seemed to change a big bad was with Monsoon, and that was the one time when Weed was all "I don't understand Sirius' ideology!!!"
icon by azzai
Eclipse-Wolven
Legend
Legend

Post by Eclipse-Wolven »

I've got a few that are bound to irritate some people so - (deep breath)...

There will never be a complex, strong female character in a Ginga series
I see a lot of people wishing for this almost nonstop both here and in the Discord server and I've got some bad news for you guys. It's never going to happen. Cross (GNG) and Lydia were the only two possible exceptions and even they weren't all that well done if we're honest with ourselves. Yoshi has a specific tone he writes with and has had it for literally decades now. He's not going to suddenly change that and make the main character a strong, well-written female who's just as badass as people like Gin, Jerome, etc. Should it happen? Yes, obviously. Will it happen? No. Never.

I was also gonna post one about how Weed just can't seem to win with the fans (and 90% of the things he's criticized for Gin would've done too) but I think I'll hold off. Don't want to start a big argument given some of the other posts in this topic already. XD
Banner by Kairi292 & Avatar by Kasi

My stories (on FF.net):
Ginga Densetsu Weed: Dark Legend
The Chronicles Of Ohu

For he today who sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother...
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Eclipse-Wolven wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:18 pm I've got a few that are bound to irritate some people so - (deep breath)...

There will never be a complex, strong female character in a Ginga series
I see a lot of people wishing for this almost nonstop both here and in the Discord server and I've got some bad news for you guys. It's never going to happen. Cross (GNG) and Lydia were the only two possible exceptions and even they weren't all that well done if we're honest with ourselves. Yoshi has a specific tone he writes with and has had it for literally decades now. He's not going to suddenly change that and make the main character a strong, well-written female who's just as badass as people like Gin, Jerome, etc. Should it happen? Yes, obviously. Will it happen? No. Never.

I was also gonna post one about how Weed just can't seem to win with the fans (and 90% of the things he's criticized for Gin would've done too) but I think I'll hold off. Don't want to start a big argument given some of the other posts in this topic already. XD

I agree. I would love to see a well written female character in Ginga but its gonna have to be reserved to OCs and fanfiction. :/ Yoshi is way too conservative with gender roles and its never gonna happen. Not to mention Yoshi isnt even the best at writing complex characters, period.

:tfw_aokabuto2:
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Sirius is one of the better characters in the series, you guys are just mean

I know theres a lot of Sirius hate due to his over-righteousness but I honestly think that makes him one of the better characters in the series. Characters like Weed and Sirius with their peace-loving attitudes are rare in the series, and I think them being that way makes them important. I dont think Weed ever went overboard with his righteousness (yes, even when he banished Jerome, I think he was still in the right because Jerome deliberately disobeyed him), and while Sirius did go overboard sometimes, I don't think it ever made him a bad character. Characters have flaws, a good character does frustrating things. That's what makes them interesting.

Also did Sirius's attitude not push the story forward? Yoshi did a lot of weird stuff in TLW with pacing but at least Sirius acting the way he did had a purpose. Also seeing his interactions with Monsoon were refreshing to the series, a series where bears were often described as mindless monsters. Also even if Akakabuto was a violent villain, Monsoon had some ground to stand on with having a grudge against dogs, it wasn't total mindless slaughter. His siblings were killed because of something they couldn't help- who their father was. And as a result they were all driven out of their homes, if not killed. It wasn't wrong of Sirius to try to put an end to the chain of revenge.

:tfw_sirius3:
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Wolpard wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:56 pm Sirius is one of the better characters in the series, you guys are just mean

I know theres a lot of Sirius hate due to his over-righteousness but I honestly think that makes him one of the better characters in the series. Characters like Weed and Sirius with their peace-loving attitudes are rare in the series, and I think them being that way makes them important. I dont think Weed ever went overboard with his righteousness (yes, even when he banished Jerome, I think he was still in the right because Jerome deliberately disobeyed him), and while Sirius did go overboard sometimes, I don't think it ever made him a bad character. Characters have flaws, a good character does frustrating things. That's what makes them interesting.

Also did Sirius's attitude not push the story forward? Yoshi did a lot of weird stuff in TLW with pacing but at least Sirius acting the way he did had a purpose. Also seeing his interactions with Monsoon were refreshing to the series, a series where bears were often described as mindless monsters. Also even if Akakabuto was a violent villain, Monsoon had some ground to stand on with having a grudge against dogs, it wasn't total mindless slaughter. His siblings were killed because of something they couldn't help- who their father was. And as a result they were all driven out of their homes, if not killed. It wasn't wrong of Sirius to try to put an end to the chain of revenge.

THIS.

I feel the exact same way about Orion throughout TLW. In spite of the fact that I absolutely despised him, I still, less-than-begrudgingly, could admit that he was a great character because of how well written he was. I loved his raw, fiery emotion and could still see that his perspective also held its merits. :orion:
Yet, I haven't seen many anti-Sirius Ginga fans concede that his character was actually as well executed as his brother, whether they agreed with his pacifism or not. Sirius still held a steely, impulsive, one-track mind that Orion did. Just for the cause of the olive branch and not the sword. :sirius:
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Wolpard wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:56 pm Sirius is one of the better characters in the series, you guys are just mean

Absolutely this! I love both Sirius and TLW as a whole and think Sirius has really interesting and refreshing writing to the series. I find him to be so different from the rest of the characters in trying to communicate and understand bears and I think that’s a really interesting approach to a series, as you said yourself, tends to treat bears as mindless killing machines.
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Avatar by Kasi | Kin banner by Sandatora
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

Can't disagree with that. Sure, I may have not agreed with Sirius's point of view, but the fact that he held a different point of view from everyone else in the manga added conflict, drama, and some things to think about, basically making the arc much more interesting. If Sirius was against Monsoon, TLW would have been a rehash of GNG, and that IMO is kind of unoriginal.

So yeah, Sirius's ideals made for an interesting story in TLW, even though they're annoying AF.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I sure have unpopular opinions on Ginga like...

I find Sirius's death to be one of the most frustrating moments of Last Wars
When I compare it to other deaths in the series like Yukimura which had several pages of him seeing flashbacks and everyone around him crying and saying 'Don't die!' and 'May he rest in peace', with Sirius, he just passes in three panels and the dogs look like 'Well that just happened!'. Also he bleeds out for about five or four chapters and nobody thinks of taking him to get treatment, I mean GB did it with Jerome after he almost drowned or why didn't anyone do the same for Sirius? The whole time I was like 'WEED, YOUR OWN SON IS BLEEDING TO DEATH, DON'T YOU CARE??!!'

I am not a big fan of the Russian Arc
I mean it's not that bad but I find it to be a little too graphic even by Ginga standards like when Victor leads all the females and puppies off a cliff, basically anyone who thought Ginga was mindless entertainment would think twice after reading that. Also throughout the time Weed wasn't joining the fight, the manga was painting him like some sort of Jesus Christ like figure saying 'Oh we can't fight without our leader!' and the moment he shows up, everything gets better? I also don't like the fact that Maxim killed two of Hakuro's sons and it hardly addresses his guilt over it and he constantly sidelining his sister for being a female. It would've made more sense if Aram was the one who killed the two sons instead.

I prefer the climax in the Ginga Densetsu Weed anime over the manga
When it comes down to the fight for Ohu in the manga, only Weed, Jerome and Tesshin go to Gajou, so it made me feel puzzled why gather so many allies if there wasn't going to be a big battle with them all at the end. It made more sense in the anime as they had to divide into three quarters in order to defeat three generals.

I might think of more but this is it for now
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

(First time posting on this topic)

If Yukimura were still alive, he would have made a big difference or impact through the rest of GDW, then from GDWO to the GDN progress!

You thought Yoshi killing off Joe was the only bad thing? Let's talk about Yukimura because I don't think anyone has talked about him. Why couldn't Yoshi keep Yukimura alive? Yukimura didn't deserve to have his life ended so fast. I just wish that he were still alive so we could have seen him in action more with the Ou army. I think he was cool despite the attitude that he had from before.

Yoshi should have kept either Yukimura or Joe alive. But he chose to kill off both unfortunately. He should have kept Yukimura alive if he was going to kill off Joe. But now both of Weed's brothers are dead. I'd prefer to have seen Yukimura still alive!
Last edited by Spirit Tree on Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”