Ranking the Bear hound Pups

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
VenFenrir
Recruit
Recruit

Ranking the Bear hound Pups

Post by VenFenrir »

Okay so ranking the five bear hound pups that appear in Orion and Last Wars, meaning Orion, Sirius, Bella, Rigel, and Zion. This is merely opinion, but I would list them as follows:

1 Zion- oddly the only one that isn't Weed's child, I find him to be the most enjoyable. He was actually his own main character in a spin off series, that was really fun, and that is referenced in Last wars when he mentioned his name coming form humans. I feel like he is a slightly more realist version of Sirius, which made him appealing to me in last wars, as I wanted their peace ideals to come to fruition, but I honestly didn't really care if Monsoon lived or died (because obvious reasons). I feel like Zion was the voice of reason among the characters, and he actually was essential to having a voice with the bears, which was weird, but cool so why not.

2 Rigel- I like Rigel for some of the same reasons I like Zion, he was more neutral even though he took Orion's (the Ohu army's side). I also like how instead of all of Weed's children learning the battoga, Orion did, Rigel got the ningato (which I like better), and Sirius got the power of persuasion or something. Rigel's temperament also reminds me of Riki's, and I find his appearance to be unique and cool. Lastly the way he just nonchalantly is adopted by Masamune and Yamabiko's dad, and no one realizes it for the longest time is adorable.

3 Sirius- I honestly always liked Sirius personality and temperament, and his story in GDWO was adorable and surprisingly non cliche. While I easily liked him better then Orion in that part of the series, Last Wars made the gap shorter at first. I wanted him to be right, and I liked monsoon as a character, but I felt that if made Sirius character kinda delusional. However as time progressed and he did bond with Monsoon, I began to like him more and more, while most of the other characters seemed liked jerks. Lastly the way Last wars ended was literally lets all bully Sirius to death, and make him watch his friend and dreams die in front of him and that broke my heart.

4 Orion- I actually like Orion okay, he is probably my least favorite main protagonist, but I like him. However, he just gets so arrogant (something I hate) and so bratty that I get annoyed. In really climatic moments, like when he first encounters Masamune, it's fine. Then there are times when he literally attacks his brothers and friends for disagreeing with him, and he kinda just seems to overpowered (I also thought it was established that Silver brindle *Teal* akitas are the best hunting dogs, so Orion is that good why?). But his relationship with Izou is always fun, so he isn't all bad.

5 Bella- I like Bella, she just doesn't do anything. I was kinda disappointed by that, since she seemed main-ish and was Weed's child. I can live with the females never fighting in the wars, but I hate when their characters are given so little screen time that I have to remind myself that they exist. I actually like her in first wars a lot though, because she is relevant all the time, not just when Yoshi wants to incorporate puppies into his story.

Anyway look forward to your opinions.
"I beileve the reason I was born... was so that I could be here today" - Komugi
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Re: Ranking the Bear hound Pups

Post by Dragon »

Can I just say, love your unique threads =w=! Love seeing discussions of all sorts of things about Ginga~

For me, it'd be:
1. Rigel
2. Orion
3. Sirius
4. Zion
5. Bella

:tfw_rigel2: Rigel might seem a bit boring, because he didn't get as much scenes as the other brothers, but I really enjoyed the scenes we did see of him. He's not a pushover like Weed and Sirius, but isn't overly reckless like Orion. He was a great balance that could have made for a really good protagonist if he had more scenes. I really liked his arc with Terumune and how sensible he was in TLW. Not to mention he looks soo cool and got to learn a unique skill unlike the others! (Too bad Orion stole ninja moves from him >> Orion should have honed the Battouga while Rigel gained the bamboo/scythe skill) .....I also reaalllyy love him in The First Wars

:tfw_orion2 I really liked Orion in GDWO. His relationship with Izou and his spirit was a breath of fresh air to the series that I really appreciated a lot. However, his big downfall to me is how stupidly overpowered he is. It doesn't even make sense. Gin had potential but it was released with training as a pup and awakened in his teen age. Orion? The strength of 100 soldiers at the age of 4 lol I know sometimes he lost and got lucky with most his victories/kills, which is when he's most interesting because his spirit is what pushed him, but I just can't believe a tiny pup (even smaller than kid Gin) flipping over an adult dog. And being able to pull off the Battouga with no drawbacks... come on. His behavior in TLW makes him really irritating too, sadly. I know this seem like a lot of complaining, but his TLW entry didn't tank his score with me as much as it did with Sirius.. Plus, his turn around in the Noah arc is providing some much needed development I've been waiting for. It can only go up from here! ...(I think)

:tfw_sirius2: I looovveeed Sirius in GDWO. What an amazing amazing story he had. Being the lookalike son/grandson of the legendary Weed/Gin, but had to serve for evil because his justice filled heart couldn't betray the one who saved his life. Not just that, but still staying true to his beliefs. Seriously such a great idea that I kinda even wish was the main focus of that series. Sadly, that great story ended short and his favorite person left for the whole other half of the story. And then TLW starts and he gets irritating to stand. I love that he, after experiencing Akakama as a pup, was able to see the true pain within Monsoon and worked sooo hard to open his heart... but goodness, couldn't he have done it better than this!? Yoshi clearly wasn't thinking too well for Sirius, which is a shame because there was a ton of potential for this concept. However, it became irritating to read and lasted way longer for barely getting anywhere. That really drops Sirius down on my list. I will say his end is really tragic. Monsoon was finally changing and then Sirius watched his dreams crushed..when he was so close. He even had a glimpse of regret when he realized Monsoon tried killing him. Sirius's life was truly tragic, but being so delusional doesn't make him anymore right ;; ...

:tfw_akame: (Don't worry, I know this is Akame LOL) Zion's first cameo being in a side story and then made into the main story was such a cool thing to witness. Not just that, but his concept of being a bearhound dog who's best friends with bears is such an AWESOME idea... sadly, Yoshi kinda never went anywhere cool with this idea because he was too busy only focusing on Sirius and Orion Q_Q Zion became nothing more than a plot tool, the translator and only when it was convenient and not when he should have actually used it (like teaching everyone and not just Sirius, or relaying important messages to the Ohu army). He was playful, a little skilled(?), and his fangirliness for meeting his family was cute. Especially his dedication to helping Sirius so he didn't travel with the enemy alone. If he had some more independent scenes, like him and Chibi without Sirius around, I think I could have liked him more. Instead, he just sorta became a little underwhelming of a new character for me :c One thing's for sure, you're very right that Zion said the only smart thing in all of TLW. Bears can be nice and live with dogs, but Monsoon just isn't one of them.

:tfw_bella1: I reaalllyyy wanna like Bella. The First Wars super save her, but I know it's not the real story... Yoshi robbed our poor bearhound girl </3 I don't think I need to explain how.

Typing everything out, I'm starting to notice, if it wasn't for TLW, Sirius would have been my first, and Rigel my third, but mannn did TLW really kill their rankings xD
Last edited by Dragon on Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
VenFenrir
Recruit
Recruit

Post by VenFenrir »

Thanks, glad you enjoy the threads. Its funny how much you learn about characters by seeing what other people think about them, agree or disagree a character can completely change based upon someone else's interpretation of them.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

1. Rigel - Loved him in GDWO and his relationship with Terumune, and as a bonus his depiction in TFW is adorable. I wish he did more in TLW though.
2. Sirius - I really enjoyed his story in GDWO. I also really liked his chemistry with Monsoon even if he did get over the top and annoying at times.
3. Zion - Bear-speak boy. I do appreciate a bear hound that's not of the direct lineage, especially one that debuted in a side story.
4. Orion - Generally I do enjoy hot heads but I feel like Orion is too over the top and it gets kinda annoying. He's also very OP so I have a lot of issues with his character writing.
5. Bella - Has very little to her. :/ C'mon Yoshi, treat your female characters better.
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

This looks like fun! Lemme give it a try! :P4:

1. Orion :orion: - He's my number one favorite of the pups. I love how he's an actual fighter and not some self-righteous, Messiah-type figure like Weed and Sirius. I see him as a product of how he was raised, and I feel like if Yoshi had written TLW better, he would've matured into a Riki-type of figure, yet still holding onto that no-nonsense way of fighting like we've seen with young Gin. Orion is a character I see great potential in, and I really don't mind him being OP. Pretty much everyone in Ginga's OP and I'd honestly be surprised if Orion wasn't really strong. He's a fighter, after all; if you fight enough, you're bound to get pretty good at it, I think. Just please PLEASE don't make him Sirius 2.0 in GDN Yoshi that's all I ask.

2. Rigel :rigel: - He's got a unique design and some cool ninja moves, but, as everyone said, he's pushed to the background and doesn't get a lot of attention. It's a real shame; I think he and Orion could make great leaders with Rigel being the more level-headed of the two, but both being willing to fight and kill if need be. Honestly, I think I'm more in love with the potential than anything else, lol. It's all I really have to work with.

Bella :bella - I know she's been pretty much non-existent for the majority of GDWO, GTLW, and probably GDN as well, but I really do like her. Again, she's got great potential to rise up and become less of a fearful girl, and aid her brothers in keeping Ohu safe. But, we all know how Yoshi is, so that's never gonna happen. :tfw_bella1: I do love what TFW did for her personality-wise, though.

Zion: :zion: - He's a nice guy, and I do like his ability to talk to bears and all, but that's mostly it. Him sticking with Sirius throughout most of TLW sort of enables the never-ending cycle of Monsoon bs so that knocks him down a few points, although I do like how he even grows tired of Sirius after a while. He understands that there's a difference between good and bad bears, and I'll never stop wishing that he brought his bear allies to Ohu to beat some bear ass. He loses more points, though, for victim-blaming Bob, though, like seriously Zion, perish for that.

Sirius: :sirius: - I think I've stated this before, but I loathe Sirius. He's worse than Weed in my eyes with his pacifism nonsense. I'm not saying that pacifism is bad, it's just that ignorant, naive hopefulness that everyone will just be good if you give them chance after chance no matter how much they hurt you. Sirius just comes off as so self-righteous and desperate to be right, and his attitude of being a martyr for his beliefs is so annoying and makes me wanna gag. Him belittling Bob does him no favors either. I'm honestly glad he's dead and I hate that his death is affecting Orion so badly. Call me petty, and maybe I am, but just send him to the void and be done with it, Yoshi.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

JazzyJazz wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:42 am 1. Orion :orion: - He's my number one favorite of the pups. I love how he's an actual fighter and not some self-righteous, Messiah-type figure like Weed and Sirius. I see him as a product of how he was raised, and I feel like if Yoshi had written TLW better, he would've matured into a Riki-type of figure, yet still holding onto that no-nonsense way of fighting like we've seen with young Gin.
Oh yeah, you're right! That's also another really awesome part about Orion worth noting. He's from the peaceful Weed family, and yet mind and body is fully set on fighting and proud of it. He doesn't want to be a leader and knows that for a fact. He's not about to let Weed and Sirius force him into the role that he doesn't want to be in (..yet). He fights because it's what he wants and loves to do and nothing will hold him back from it. He won't drag his friends and family into it if they aren't up for it, but it won't stop him. Such a cool spirit~ :tfw_orion1:
Sirius just comes off as so self-righteous and desperate to be right, and his attitude of being a martyr for his beliefs is so annoying and makes me wanna gag. Him belittling Bob does him no favors either.
Good summary of TLW Sirius... and reminder of what he's done to Bob, which I cannot forgive \: That really annoyed me. Sirius, you're telling me it's Bob's fault for being in this situation for not pitying a ferocious bear that ate his family as tiny pups and turned him into a slave, deprived from any social contact with anything other than his punk bear siblings? .....Kay, you're crazy. :tfw_sirius2:

ImageImage
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

1. Sirius
Sirius is my top without a doubt. Both his arcs in GDWO and TLW. I agree he is delusional, but I think that makes him all the more interesting.
2. Bella
I just read the last four chapters in GDWO where Bella is making her journey back to Ouu, scratching my head why we couldn't have more of this. I really enjoyed it too. I like Bella, she's just so deprived of screentime though. If her personality from The First Wars is anything to go by, she's awesome. And I love her design.
3. Zion
Zion is pretty cool. Fairly sidekick material though. I like his ability to speak to bears and his loyalty to Sirius without agreeing blindly to everything Sirius says.
4. Orion
Orion starts out fairly cute, but then really makes my blood boil as he grows up. Remembering that I'm wondering why I've listed him as 4 here? I think he's showing some real potential to be more interesting and calm in GDN so far, and that's why I'm starting to show a bit more interest.
5. Rigel
I just find Rigel very bland to be honest. He is hot-tempered like Orion... but not as much, and he is more reasonable like Sirius.... but not as much. He really doesn't offer anything new to the table to me.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

Always love your threads, VenFen. They always add a unique fun to the board. :EXCITE:

I'm not stealing your ratings, Kasi, I swear ;P
1. :sirius: My wonderful son. My all-time favourite Ginga character. A lovely boy and worthy of his stellar name. He may not be perfect, but that's part of what I find makes his character so interesting and a refreshing change from the long-running Ginga of fiery warrior bearhounds. Yet, in the end, he was done so dirty by his own family and supposed friends - bullied and callously shunned for wanting to bring about peace with the enemy and end the bear/dog feud between Gin and Akakabuto's line. Eventually driven into his cold grave pleading with his dad's army to stop killing the bear he'd come to see as his friend, only to die alone on the shore witnessing Monsoon having his throat slit, utterly ignored aside from dear old Cross. Despite the ending of TLW being so flawed, I genuinely felt Sirius' pain throughout it. He deserved so much better than a half-assed tragic end and I hope he's found more comfort in the afterlife than he did with his negligent friends and family, who, by the way, should be ashamed of themselves.
2. :bella: Such a pretty doggy! I liked the sibling relationship between Sirius and Bella in GDW:O and it's a shame that it was never really expanded upon in TLW. I also felt sorry for her being picked on by Orion and Rigel. Her timid character is sweet even if I'd give my left leg to see her be a badass and kick some ass in GDN and to give her dad and grandfather a mouthful for letting Sirius die. I just want to give her a hug! :tfw_bella2:
3. :zion: I have mixed feelings about Zion. He was one of my favourites in the chapters following his début in TLW - he was an absolute sweetheart and the fact that he was able to speak bear was really what drove Sirius' passion in negotiating with Monsoon. After that however, he just feels... there. He's still definitely the voice of reason and safety when Sirius actively puts himself in danger during his more... shall we say, bold, moments in trying to talk with Monsoon? I still like how he continues to try and talk down Monsoon in the finale when Sirius is too wounded to do so, but I'm also still sore that he was just as spineless in even daring to try calm Orion down during his rampages as Weed and Gin.
4. :orion: For the record, I don't hate Orion in GDW:O. In both that and TLW I actually feel really sorry for him. I sometimes wonder if his character would've been different if he hadn't been so heavily influenced by Joe, Izou and Chourou basically seeking to turn him into a warrior drone without ever really asking what approach he wants to take. While I will readily admit just how much I despise him in TLW, I will equally admit that he is a well-written and interesting character who adds a great dynamic from a storytelling perspective.
5. :rigel: Unpopular opinion, but I just find him really boring. His only real redeeming moment for me was taking Chibi under his wing and protecting him from the genocidal Orion when he took him back to the Ohu army. Other than that, he was an unlikable brat in GDW:O and little more than a running man and sidekick to Orion in TLW. Totally wasted character potential.
VenFenrir
Recruit
Recruit

Post by VenFenrir »

Shining Sirius wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:34 pm Always love your threads, VenFen. They always add a unique fun to the board. :EXCITE:

I'm not stealing your ratings, Kasi, I swear ;P
1. :sirius: My wonderful son. My all-time favourite Ginga character. A lovely boy and worthy of his stellar name. He may not be perfect, but that's part of what I find makes his character so interesting and a refreshing change from the long-running Ginga of fiery warrior bearhounds. Yet, in the end, he was done so dirty by his own family and supposed friends - bullied and callously shunned for wanting to bring about peace with the enemy and end the bear/dog feud between Gin and Akakabuto's line. Eventually driven into his cold grave pleading with his dad's army to stop killing the bear he'd come to see as his friend, only to die alone on the shore witnessing Monsoon having his throat slit, utterly ignored aside from dear old Cross. Despite the ending of TLW being so flawed, I genuinely felt Sirius' pain throughout it. He deserved so much better than a half-assed tragic end and I hope he's found more comfort in the afterlife than he did with his negligent friends and family, who, by the way, should be ashamed of themselves.
2. :bella: Such a pretty doggy! I liked the sibling relationship between Sirius and Bella in GDW:O and it's a shame that it was never really expanded upon in TLW. I also felt sorry for her being picked on by Orion and Rigel. Her timid character is sweet even if I'd give my left leg to see her be a badass and kick some ass in GDN and to give her dad and grandfather a mouthful for letting Sirius die. I just want to give her a hug! :tfw_bella2:
3. :zion: I have mixed feelings about Zion. He was one of my favourites in the chapters following his début in TLW - he was an absolute sweetheart and the fact that he was able to speak bear was really what drove Sirius' passion in negotiating with Monsoon. After that however, he just feels... there. He's still definitely the voice of reason and safety when Sirius actively puts himself in danger during his more... shall we say, bold, moments in trying to talk with Monsoon? I still like how he continues to try and talk down Monsoon in the finale when Sirius is too wounded to do so, but I'm also still sore that he was just as spineless in even daring to try calm Orion down during his rampages as Weed and Gin.
4. :orion: For the record, I don't hate Orion in GDW:O. In both that and TLW I actually feel really sorry for him. I sometimes wonder if his character would've been different if he hadn't been so heavily influenced by Joe, Izou and Chourou basically seeking to turn him into a warrior drone without ever really asking what approach he wants to take. While I will readily admit just how much I despise him in TLW, I will equally admit that he is a well-written and interesting character who adds a great dynamic from a storytelling perspective.
5. :rigel: Unpopular opinion, but I just find him really boring. His only real redeeming moment for me was taking Chibi under his wing and protecting him from the genocidal Orion when he took him back to the Ohu army. Other than that, he was an unlikable brat in GDW:O and little more than a running man and sidekick to Orion in TLW. Totally wasted character potential.
First off I appreciate it, I'm always trying to make threads that are fun and insightful, trying be keyword ;) .

I think you summed up how I (others too I'm sure) feel Sirius, Orion, and Bella, pretty well. I personally have a soft spot for Zion, I just love everything about his character except the just being there aspect you mentioned (but that happens to almost everyone from time to time). I feel like he doesn't do a lot in regards to Orion and the Ohu army because while he supports Sirius (for the most part) I think he sees himself more as an interloper than part of the group. He also mentioned that he was going to keep the Gin is my relative thing a secret for a little longer which I think kinda supports this, or maybe he just doesn't want to have to deal with fights (especially against Orion, Mr. Overpowered). Either way I think his character is a more submissive one, compared to most everyone else in the army who are typically very assertive (few exceptions).

In regards to Rigel I personally like him, but I just got through with my own personal unpopular opinion and I have tons of them, so go you for not being shy about it XD ! And your right, he unfortunately is mostly forgotten by Yoshi, but I think he has good potential, and while I like both Orion and Sirius (yes both of them just one slightly more than the other) they feel to extreme for me.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”