What's the most unnatural/overnatural/magical thing in Ginga that you like the most?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

What's the most unnatural/overnatural/magical thing in Ginga that you like the most?

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Just the battougas. I can't really think of anything else than Battougas and over natural growth *Cough cough - Akakabuto - cough cough*, so yeah. Battougas is my choice, and I love them:) They are a cool little thing in Ginga.
Have a nice day!
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What's the most unnatural/overnatural/magical thing in Ginga that you like the most?

Post by Spirit Tree »

In GNG, I would say the wolves forming the tornado. And that formation of the large rocky looking wolf structure looks magnificent.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Re: What's the most unnatural/overnatural/magical thing in Ginga that you like the most?

Post by Leomonade »

Battouga... I just kinda accept it now! But I guess that it's one of the only unnatural things I do like about Ginga. Of course, the characters are really humanized.. they form armies and have religions lol but Idk If I should even count that.
Image Image
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Spirit Tree wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:20 pm In GNG, I would say the wolves forming the tornado. And that formation of the large rocky looking wolf structure looks magnificent.
Oh yeah, the wolf structure! That was pretty cool, but how in the world could those wolves make such a giant statue of some sort with their own bodies? Well, the question is about unnatural things after all, but still, that means it is a place where it could be discussed I guess.
Have a nice day!
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Leomonade wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:36 pm Battouga... I just kinda accept it now! But I guess that it's one of the only unnatural things I do like about Ginga. Of course, the characters are really humanized.. they form armies and have religions lol but Idk If I should even count that.
The thing with religions is not really something I think should be there. It's only a human thing (I think so. I don't know what's going on in the wild/animal kingdom XD ). But the thing with an army does make some sort of sense, since dogs live in packs (or whatever you call it. A folk or a horde, I don't know).
Have a nice day!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Not as outlandish as battougas and wolf-nados but I really like it when the dogs use weapons and wear armor. Like sure a dog could pick up a sword but it wouldn't use it like a sword like they do in Ginga.

Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Wolpard wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:59 pm Not as outlandish as battougas and wolf-nados but I really like it when the dogs use weapons and wear armor. Like sure a dog could pick up a sword but it wouldn't use it like a sword like they do in Ginga.

I think the fact that we have swordsmen (swordsdogs I guess XD ) in Ginga is frickin' cool! To be honest, I don't really care if something is unnatural in anything fictional (that's why I asked for your favorite unnatural thing in Ginga), as long as it works, and swordsmen/dogs in Ginga is frickin' cool, plus it makes sense (only because we have literal ninja dog clans)!
Have a nice day!
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Post by WolfKing »

The Battouga and dogs using armor.

Sure the Battouga requires some suspension of disbelief and even as a kid i was like: "What the f*ck was that?" when Riki performed it out of thin air. up until now the show had been relatively down to earth, and it was bizarre but i thought it was kinda cool and i accepted it.

Yep dogs using weapons like humans, really cheesy but it relies on the rule of cool and somehow i think that GDA is well-aware of it, since aside from having a dramatic narrative i think it's kind of self-aware of the ludicrous weapon wielding dog thing. Still pretty cool though.

All in all it's the rule of cool, and i think it should be enjoyed that way.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

The wolf arc. Just... all of it. You really can't top a pack of magical wolves living underground in a cave their ancestors stole from a giant, multi-headed dragon monster, bearing secret powers and bizarre mutations granted either by their patron star god or by eating the flesh of the aforementioned dragon monster and following a prophecy of a group of divinely blessed warriors arising and leading them to battle against their ancient enemies. And that's without getting into the really insane details like Juga apparently being over 200 years old and Retsuga being capable of raising a tornado at will, among other things.

It's just pure insanity from start to finish and I absolutely love it.

Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Digsu wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:12 pm The wolf arc. Just... all of it. You really can't top a pack of magical wolves living underground in a cave their ancestors stole from a giant, multi-headed dragon monster, bearing secret powers and bizarre mutations granted either by their patron star god or by eating the flesh of the aforementioned dragon monster and following a prophecy of a group of divinely blessed warriors arising and leading them to battle against their ancient enemies. And that's without getting into the really insane details like Juga apparently being over 200 years old and Retsuga being capable of raising a tornado at will, among other things.

It's just pure insanity from start to finish and I absolutely love it.
The entirety of the wolf arc kinda reminds me of those intriguing stories from mythologies. They have the most absurd but really fascinating stories. Stories from greek and nose mythology are just. Well... They speak for themselves. They are just very fascinating and full of meaning, but just absurd. I love them so much, and the wolf arc kinda has such a story. With the backstory of the wolves and their star god (I think his name was Sirius. I don't really recall the name of that god or whatever that being was), and just all of their magical battougas, or whatever you wanna call them. Just absurd, but so intriguing!
Have a nice day!
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

There's a lot I don't mind/like.
-The wolf shaped wolves
-Yukimura's and Joe's Neck the Killing
-...the wolf arc in general lol
-that branch spear Gin used on the striped bear
-the ninja dogs (minus their whistling technique. thats a little too strange to me)
-the dogs' fangs being able to cut like swords

All ridiculous.. yet all so cool =w=

ImageImage
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

It's either the battougas or the crazy attacks they can do to kill enemies or the fact they have dogs that can carry and use swords
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Knight
Potential
Potential

Post by Knight »

Everyone is saying battougas haha. I don't blame you, but when I first saw battougas when first watching GNG.. I honestly busted out laughing, it was so surprising because as WolfKing said it was so out of no where compared to the down to earth stuff beforehand.
Anyway I'm not sure if this counts but my favorite supernatural-type thing is the scenes were spirits show up and stuff. I like the thought of spirits and I found all those cool, I was really really hoping it would tie into GDN drastically.
  ─────────── ʏᴀᴋsʜᴀ :john:
//art by Dragon
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Gingaddict wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:48 pm It's either the battougas or the crazy attacks they can do to kill enemies or the fact they have dogs that can carry and use swords
How many battougas was it now? 7 or 8? Besides that, I just thought about the ninja dog-whistling technique. Dragon also mentioned it
-the ninja dogs (minus their whistling technique. that's a little too strange to me)
. I personally think that one is pretty cool:)
Have a nice day!
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Knight wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:19 am Everyone is saying battougas haha. I don't blame you, but when I first saw battougas when first watching GNG.. I honestly busted out laughing, it was so surprising because as WolfKing said it was so out of no where compared to the down to earth stuff beforehand.
Anyway I'm not sure if this counts but my favorite supernatural-type thing is the scenes were spirits show up and stuff. I like the thought of spirits and I found all those cool, I was really really hoping it would tie into GDN drastically.
Yeah, the spirits. When they come to bring advice (and sometimes also bring justice upon opponents or evil in general, like in GDW the anime when Hougen died). It might be overnatural, but I honestly don't think that Ginga would be as good as it is without the spirits. I don't know why. It's just a feeling I have.
Have a nice day!
lolsen
Recruit
Recruit

Post by lolsen »

I think it is funny with the battouga, because whenever i re-watch gng with an adult friend who've never seen gng before, they always burst out laughing when Riki begins to spin. Yet since I was very very young when I first watched gng I can't even remember the first time I saw gng, it's just always been there in my childhood, so I've never found it strange that they were spinning etc. XD

But my favorite magic is these of the Iga and Koga clans, disappearing, carrying a sickle, sticks, hanging in their tails, running through the treetops etc. and also the battouga at the end of the series.

I particularly dislike the wolf arc as it for me, was too different in nature as compared to the rest of gng. It became way too fantastic and typical manga-ish (I read a lot of manga, so it's not necessarily a bad thing in general, I just didn't find it fitting in gng, which I otherwise think have found a really interesting and meaningful balance between the magical and the more "realistic" and down to earth dog story).

I also really like the other spinning attacks which as far as I know haven't been named anything in particular. I can't even remember exactly when they're being introduced the first timr, but maybe it's when Gin attacks Moss after believing him to have killed Ben. When Moss is on the ground, Gin is standing vertically on top of him spinning around while biting him. These attacks always looked really cool visually I think :)
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

lolsen wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:52 pm I think it is funny with the battouga, because whenever i re-watch gng with an adult friend who've never seen gng before, they always burst out laughing when Riki begins to spin. Yet since I was very very young when I first watched gng I can't even remember the first time I saw gng, it's just always been there in my childhood, so I've never found it strange that they were spinning etc. XD

I particularly dislike the wolf arc as it for me, was too different in nature as compared to the rest of gng. It became way too fantastic and typical manga-ish (I read a lot of manga, so it's not necessarily a bad thing in general, I just didn't find it fitting in gng, which I otherwise think have found a really interesting and meaningful balance between the magical and the more "realistic" and down to earth dog story).
I feel the same way you do about the spinning battouga. It has just become a part of my life now since I watched it as a child and just thought it was cool.

And I can understand why you dislike the wolf arc, but I still think it has some meaning, because the arc explains the battouga, and that there exists more than one. It would make sense for that arc to be so fanciful as it is. Besides, I just personally think that the arc is cool, and I like it for that:)
Have a nice day!
lolsen
Recruit
Recruit

Post by lolsen »

Haha yeah it does, but I'm just really really not fond of that explanation, I much prefer the one in the anime, and the entire thing with the wolf arc introducing af whole range of them is something I'm really not a fan of... XD

But I think it's funny how as children, we're not even questioning dogs starting spins midair or how exactly they're biting/cutting while doing so etc. :P
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

lolsen wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:58 pm But I think it's funny how as children, we're not even questioning dogs starting spins midair or how exactly they're biting/cutting while doing so etc. :P
Well, it's probably because we did have wild fantasies as kids, and it's sad that most of us lose that fantasy later on in life, but since we did have them as kids, it just seemed like another cool thing, or just some other fantasy stuff that we could come up with ourselves, and therefore, liked it because of that. I personally don't care about how crazy things are in anything, as long as it makes sense, and that's why I just love the wolf arc. It makes sense to me, and it is just so frickin' with all of those wolves! I do however dislike the fact that almost the entirety of the wolf arc feels a little rushed, and is literally just battles and even more battles. But I still like it, because there is good stuff overshadowing this:)
Have a nice day!
skinklegs
Comrade
Comrade

Post by skinklegs »

Ditto on the wolf arc. Just the whole wolf arc.

Also the dogs being ninjas. That's so ridiculous and I love it. That whole thing in GNG with the rivalry between the Iga and Koga clans and the Iga dogs devising these crazy traps to kill the Koga dogs? Up until that point the dogs in GNG had been mostly behaving like real dogs would, with some small exceptions, like I can suspend my disbelief for Gin trying to drown Kurotora and stuff, but then Akame comes in with his friggen spike pit and poison barbs and it's just insanity.

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”