Is there a time Ginga ever extended your disbelief too far?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Hikari

Re: Is there a time Ginga ever extended your disbelief too far?

Post by Hikari »

For me the Wolf Arc was the most wtf moment so far, but I've only read gng manga and weed manga up to the end of Hougen arc. I mean, this is fiction at it's finest of course, but the whole underworld thing and all the stuff going on down there just felt so off even in the ginga universe for me. but seeing your comments, I am definitely interested to catch up the series and see how crazy Takahashi-sensei goes with it later :D
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Hikari wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 pm For me the Wolf Arc was the most wtf moment so far, but I've only read gng manga and weed manga up to the end of Hougen arc. I mean, this is fiction at it's finest of course, but the whole underworld thing and all the stuff going on down there just felt so off even in the ginga universe for me. but seeing your comments, I am definitely interested to catch up the series and see how crazy Takahashi-sensei goes with it later :D
I think Yoshi agrees with you on that one considering he basically writes the wolf arc out of existence XD
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

Adding the meteorite in GDN.

C’mon ginga, stop jumping the shark.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
chance

Post by chance »

8 year old daisuke getting suoer ripped always creeped me out lmao
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

Some stuff happening in GDN is way too over the top.
Arctic Ranger
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Arctic Ranger »

Believe it or not, no. Then again, maybe I haven't been exposed to the manga enough just yet, but in my experiences the arc upwards has been steady enough not to utterly bamboozle me.

If Riki killed bears all alone by turning into a bolt of lightning by episode 2 (he 'died' in the previous episode but you get my point), then I would have felt bamboozled by the liberties. But as it is, the road there is gradual enough to ease one into the new themes (at least from all I've experienced and again, personally).
"Exceed the you from yesterday."
-Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Words to truly live by.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

What I've expected from this franchise is to just go absolutely bonkers, and it has exceeded my expectations many times. GDN is good to me BECAUSE it is just fucking bonkers, and I love it! Now, I do like some solid writing, but Ginga is not the place where I look for that. I go to Ginga to just see what the fuck is going on, be amazed by how awesome it is, and that's it. So far, nothing has extended my disbelief for this franchise, and I honestly don't think that it ever will. If it will though, it'll probably be something like a resurrection of all the dead characters (And I do mean ALL of them) coming together to fight against this great demon king, and then disappear after their victory. Although I would also love that at the same time.
Have a nice day!
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Since we have gone this far, as of right now, I have been and still am in disbelief about what weird and crazy bullshit that's been happening in Ginga Densetsu Noah and how it continues getting even more WTF. :derpgin:

At least I have thought that GDN is better than the shitty ass GTLW despite seeing f**king "Sirius" alive, which I seriously hope is just an entity using his form and not actually him. :tfw_aokabuto2:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Fino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fino »

Daisuke getting super buff as a literal child is very weird, Ben having the boulder fall on his skull and survive. Akakabuto being insanely huge actually isn't super weird for me because bears certainly can get terrifyingly large, and a villain being exaggerated isn't too unusual. Though the more often this happens it just seems silly.
In all seriousness though, I essentially stopped following Ginga after GNG. I watched GDW anime but never finished the manga. The rest of the franchise just doesn't have the same charm.
Pupis

Post by Pupis »

That moment where Gin became invisible in the fight against Sniper in GNG :derpgin:
GingaLegend

Post by GingaLegend »

When Ben came back to life after being crushed by the rock, and even lifting it up, like i get it hes supposed to be strong but that strong?
And when Akakabuto came back to life.
talghir

Post by talghir »

Whatever it is that's happening in the most recent chapter (135) of GDN.

Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

Is it fair to say the entirety of GDN...? 🥲
GingaBoard's Resident Lloyd Fan
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Hikari

Post by Hikari »

OMG reading all this crazy stuff makes me 50% want to catch up with GDN and 50% not even start it...
Lad

Post by Lad »

Alien. Ass woms. Seriously, if you're on the fence about reading GDN--I don't know whether I can recommend it or not. It is horrible, but it is horrible the way Night of the Lepus is horrible.
Fino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fino »

chance wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:04 pm 8 year old daisuke getting suoer ripped always creeped me out lmao
THIS IS THE ONE 😂 Even as a kid watching GNG it felt so silly.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

Kasi wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:27 pm Ben coming to life again after being crushed by a rock at Moss’s lair.
I remember the Ben coming to life thing frustrating me more than anything. It was really my turning point (and yes, I realize it's a pretty early "turning point") where I stopped placing trust in the emotional narrative beats. It only takes one or two fake-out deaths to start disbelieving every death in the series. So any time Ben or any other dog put themselves in the way of danger, all I had to think to myself was "typically in a story, do characters fulfilling XYZ archetype die?" Really lobs off any sense for stakes. Of course I still enjoy the series, but I think this was a pretty important tonal misstep.

For me: was anyone else a little put off by the whole dogs-can-jump-over-gaps-with-the-wind thing? I did not fully break my emersion, but I remember when initially seeing it, I found it a little odd. Previous to it, there seemed to be somewhat of a commitment to physics (Riki's original death is the consequence of physics, for example). Really just a nitpick on my end, maybe it was because of its placement in the show that made it stick out (between the inciting incident and the journey into the "new world," to put it into the terms of the Hero's Journey).
Noroi
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Noroi »

I gotta couple so here we go

GNG:
Ben came back to life even though he got crushed by a boulder
Daisuke becoming ripped
Bonus- I have no idea if this counts but. In the anime Gohee picked up Gin and he looked high

GDN:
Why are the dogs in space?
Why did Wanwan attack BeniouI haven't gotten to GDN yet but I have seen some spoilers of him attacking Beniou so can someone please explain to me why? Thanks!
Why is Hyena alive but he was supposed to be dead in GDW
:noroi:!Noroi!:noroi:
Awesomely drawn banners made by Sanda and Gingastar!!!
Thank you!!! <3
Tesshin-san
Potential
Potential

Post by Tesshin-san »

John tying a rope around a tree is so weird to me, also Hougen being so overpowered without trying XD
4townie
Mentor
Mentor

Post by 4townie »

Daisuke becoming ripped
When Akakabuto came back to life
Tenka's power of mind control to kill birds and catch them
Puppy Gin lifting Benizakura up in the air

The entirety of GDN :derpgin:
💜✨Ginga Board's #1 Matthew Lillard Simp✨💜

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”