What do you think is Ginga's biggest flaw?

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

What do you think is Ginga's biggest flaw?

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Personally, I think it is the characters.

1. There are just too many characters to keep track of, even for Yoshi. He sometimes just adds in characters so that they can do something, and then they are in the background for the rest of the story. An example of this is Ron. He comes in, Bites Jerome's ear off and he is pretty much gone for the rest of the story. A way to fix this is to maybe give someone else the role of biting Jerome's ear off (Someone that we have already been introduced to) so that we can evolve on the characters in our story that we already have instead of just putting a character in there to do it instead. He also seems to forget characters a lot as well because of all these characters. Sometimes, he remembers them, uses them, and then forgets them again. Like Lydia. Introduced in the Russian arc, gone for pretty much the entirety of GDW:0, comes back at the start of GTLW (Or so I've heard)

2. (I could be objectively wrong about this one, but I'm still gonna mention it) There is barely any character development throughout most of the franchise. There is some, but not a lot. The only reason I even like a character is if I liked them from the start (Which happens quite often in this franchise, which is one of the reasons why I still love Ginga so much), and if I didn't, then I usually wouldn't care about them. If I didn't like as many characters from the start as I end up doing with Ginga, I probably wouldn't love it as much as I do. There are a few exceptions tho. I grew to love Akakamakiri. He had enough character development for me. I hated him first, but now I like him. Jerome also has a lot of character development. He first goes after Kaibutsu, fails at killing him, then tries to find his place of death until Hakuro tells him that life is valuable and that he should embrace life and live it (Or something close to that. I don't remember exactly what he said), which brings him down a much brighter path.

What do you think is the biggest flaw?
Have a nice day!
WolfKing
Friend
Friend

Re: What do you think is Ginga's biggest flaw?

Post by WolfKing »

I also think the biggest flaws are:

1) Too many characters to keep track of, courtesy of Yoshi focusing too much on Orion. Of course Sirius and recently Rigel have also gotten, but it's not enough to keep up with the abundance of characters who no longer from GDWO and forward serve any real purpose other than Nostalgia for longtime fans, and filler to frequently look shocked and comment on our heroes etc.

2) Lack of character development aside from protagonists. Practically every character aside from protagonists and some major characters are incredibly wooden and either have no characterization or simply lose it along the way. Take almost every character from GDW and GNG and make them into filler. Sure in GNG and GDW the character development was a bit shaky too, but even those who didn't get it had enough personality and stuff to do make us care about them. Sadly this has also been gone since GDWO.

3) bland/annoying characters and personality change's for the worst. It's no secret that many characters have recently lost their interesting qualities, examples are Kyoushiro, Rocket, Gin, AND worst of all WEED also Yamabiko, Andy, Bon, and of course Gennai These guys barely have any interesting qualities of any kind. In GDWO they did have some but now, not really... Gennai and Andy are incredibly annoying and are among the biggest character mistakes in recent history (In my opinion)

4) Yoshi needlessly killing of interesting and even longtime characters for the sake of Drama. No words needed here...

5) Sacrificing longtime and elaborated morals and ideals in order to make them fit for more edgier protagonists. It simply makes the characters hypocritical and the stories itself pointlessly cynical
skinklegs
Comrade
Comrade

Post by skinklegs »

The fact that it's still going. :Koyukisweat:

All of the arcs are kind of the same. Pretty much all the characters are cardboard cutouts. Some of them are straight up copies of each other. When you're out of ideas, end your series on a high note, don't keep dragging it on and on for the sake of it. Ginga should've been tied up a long time ago.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

First I'd like to acknowledge, OMG ALCHEMIST, you read ahead :tfw_orion1: Sorry you had to skip over GDW. It's something most of us fans had to endure and put up with unless they can read Finnish or Japanese. Welcome to the 'skipped ahead' party!

As for Ginga... oof. Well, you guys said a lot of the biggest stuff. If I repeat any, it just shows how major of a flaw it is.

1. Sacrificing other characters' developments/stories and logic just for the protagonist to shine. I love GNG, and GDW's hougen arc is good, but every piece of Ginga work has this flaw. Everyone messes up or suddenly isn't as good or as smart as they once were just so Gin/Weed/Orion/Sirius can come in and save the day. If it weren't for them and only them, the hero team can never win. It's strange, because the moral of Ginga (sometimes) is that if someone is willing to stand for justice, evil can never win ... but really, when these moments happen and the protagonists are the only ones willing to fix anything, even if it's a small minor problem, then ...evil CAN win. It just can't win against the gary stu bearhound main character.

2. Yoshi isn't given the time/doesn't take the time to plan ahead anymore, resulting in dragged out unnecessary drama and an unclear plot. Hybrid arc and TLW are the biggest examples of this. Clearly, Yoshi was burned out, but pushed to make these stories anyways. TLW is a complete tangled mess with a rushed ending, while the hybrid arc is boring and almost to the level of filler. If he just had the time to think about how to go through with these stories, he could have made more characters develop genuinely in a natural paced time and less repeats that added nothing to the story. ESPECIALLY for TLW. Ugh. So sad.

3. Wasting characters' potential. Yoshi can design some really unique characters, really interesting backstories, or some actually nice pairings..... but then completely drop them. As people have said, once their purpose is up, that cool design is gone. Once Yoshi stopped caring about the unique villain x hero pairing, they're faded into obscurity.This also goes towards all the female characters who could have been cool if he cared, but instead decided to drop.

3.5 RUINING old characters' potential. So unlike wasting and forgetting characters, this goes out for all the boys he decide to ruin by changing their morals and personalities entirely. Kyoshiro, Weed, Hiro, etc. Some have it worse than others, but they are all just as frustrating.

I'm still not super against him having a ton of characters, but if he doesn't even know how to use them, he needs to start killing them so he can have a clearer mind and start writing well again D;

ImageImage
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

TBH I think everyone summed up my feelings. Flat characters, most of which act the same/similar. Badly planned arcs. TOO MANY characters.

Like Yoshi, you know you can have recurring characters and dont need to keep constantly adding new ones right? Also you could kill off some of those ancient dogs from GNG. Cross and Kurotora should be beyond dead. Also you have so many characters to keep track of, you forget their history and their very basic morals! Like yeah characters change, but Kyoushiro becoming someone who hits kids?? C'mon.

And like Skink said, as much as I love reading Ginga, it should have ended a long time ago. Like, mid GDW (as much as I love Yukimura's drama, it probably should have ended at the Hougen arc).

Also, Yoshi's conservatism showing in his work is a major flaw too. Everyone knows how sexist Ginga is and its definitely a turn off lol. I know its fantasy but his glorification of dog fighting (as in, people making dogs fight like Benizakura and all of SSY) makes me cringe a bit too.
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Dragon wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:08 am First I'd like to acknowledge, OMG ALCHEMIST, you read ahead :tfw_orion1: Sorry you had to skip over GDW. It's something most of us fans had to endure and put up with unless they can read Finnish or Japanese. Welcome to the 'skipped ahead' party!
I'm sorry for skipping ahead Dragon:( I got a little impatient :tfw_orion1: HOWEVER, I'm only just started reading GTLW today (I skipped the ending of GDW:O since there are only 4 volumes left, and since the ending has already been spoiled for me, I don't see a reason for me to wait around, since I know what is gonna happen:( )
Dragon wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:08 am I'm still not super against him having a ton of characters, but if he doesn't even know how to use them, he needs to start killing them so he can have a clearer mind and start writing well again D;
I'm not against the fact that there are many characters either, it's just the fact that Yoshi doesn't know what to do with these hundreds of characters. If he did, Ginga would be miles better, but he just doesn't know what to do with them, and it's sad:(
Wolpard wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:52 am And like Skink said, as much as I love reading Ginga, it should have ended a long time ago. Like, mid GDW (as much as I love Yukimura's drama, it probably should have ended at the Hougen arc).
Personally, I think that Ginga should've ended after GTLW, BUT! That is only if it was written well (From everything I've heard, GTLW doesn't seem to be a well-written manga), and since it wasn't, I wish that it would've just ended after GDW:O.

The reason why I would like it to end after GTLW is because we started out with Gin, then we got Weed, and then we got Orion. GTLW could've been the final adventure (Like the title of the manga suggests) where all of these three generations join up for a final adventure together as adults, and everyone else we got to know on the way, before the story of Ginga finally ends. That's what I would like to see:)
Have a nice day!
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

The Sexism... oh my god, why do they have to draw so much attention to the characters' gender??? IT'S SO BLOODY ANNOYING!!!

Seriously, take a drink everytime you hear/read a character saying 'you're a male, aren't you?' or 'you're a true male' IT DRIVES ME CRAZY! :tfw_sirius4:

I also hate how we had many new characters introduced in Ginga Orion but then all of them are tossed aside for scenes with characters that already had their time in the spotlight like Akame and Kurotora and just forget about everyone else. This series just has too many characters and some of them have really outstayed their welcome, especially Akame! It's up to the point where I hate him due to how much unnecessary screen-time he gets! :tfw_aokabuto2:

The biggest one so far though has to be talking about ideas of peace and doing nothing with them! The biggest example has to be Last Wars, we spent literally the entire manga series talking about chains of revenge and how they will continue if one doesn't learn to forgive or let go but nothing happens with it or even helps to guide it!! It made everyone in the series look like a selfish jerk!!! :bella4:
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

Too many characters which makes most of them flat. If they make new characters focus should be more on them
Sometimes the story feels like it's going nowhere
Some ideas or concepts being overused
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Plenty of flaws have been said here, and I can agree with most of them. But here's one flaw that I find the most irritating:

The Inconsistency of Timelines in the Ginga series. Might I need to say more? :tfw_bella1:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”