GDW General Questions Thread

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Re: GDW General Questions Thread

Post by Kaiken »

Kamakiri is said to be a ''troublesome youngster of the pack'' by the time he killed Hiro's father, I think.
By saying Hiro is going where his father is, he just means getting killed.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
kahooton
Comrade
Comrade

Post by kahooton »

I guess my biggest question in the anime adaptation is why they cut Murder S out. I would have loved to see some of his scenes animated, also with him being the main (dog) antagonist of GNG they could have done a lot with his arc in the anime, and having him interact with Gin and the others. I suppose it's because his arc wouldn't fit in the anime, but even so I'd rather have him than Kamakiri
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

kahooton wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:39 pm I guess my biggest question in the anime adaptation is why they cut Murder S out. I would have loved to see some of his scenes animated, also with him being the main (dog) antagonist of GNG they could have done a lot with his arc in the anime, and having him interact with Gin and the others. I suppose it's because his arc wouldn't fit in the anime, but even so I'd rather have him than Kamakiri
I think they just found him unnecessary, especially since he is supposed to be dead from GNG. Not that the GDW anime doesnt have continuity errors from the GNG anime but they did a lot of cuts and the anime is a lot more straight forward, so I guess they decided it would flow better without the addition of Murder S.
Nerdykestrel74
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nerdykestrel74 »

The anime is also pretty toned down when it comes to the violence from the original manga (which is why I'm guessing the Monkey Arc and Russian Dog Arc weren't adapted, because they can get pretty dark and brutal. Especially the latter arc) and some of the scenes involving Murder S are pretty violent and gory, which could be another reason he was cut out of this adaptation. For example
SPOILER
Akakama my beloved <3 :akakama:
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

Nerdykestrel74 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:31 am The anime is also pretty toned down when it comes to the violence from the original manga (which is why I'm guessing the Monkey Arc and Russian Dog Arc weren't adapted, because they can get pretty dark and brutal. Especially the latter arc) and some of the scenes involving Murder S are pretty violent and gory, which could be another reason he was cut out of this adaptation. For example
SPOILER
SPOILER
But I feel like those are kinda lame and it's better off just leaving them out all together. :THOT:
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

Apologies for the double post but no one had replied since my remark and I just really want to ask this question. If there's a different way to ask without double posting while also letting people be notified, let me know :tfw_rigel1:

But the tweet being shown in Casual Chat made me think:

Why is Hiro the "ball snatcher"? Like... what made him start doing that because I honestly can not remember for the life of me :yama1:

That's not just something you just do for shits and giggles... unless it was for that....
^click me!^
My Socials
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

LIBRAKIND wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:11 pm Apologies for the double post but no one had replied since my remark and I just really want to ask this question. If there's a different way to ask without double posting while also letting people be notified, let me know :tfw_rigel1:

Why is Hiro the "ball snatcher"? Like... what made him start doing that because I honestly can not remember for the life of me :yama1:

That's not just something you just do for shits and giggles... unless it was for that....
I dont believe there is a backstory to his technique, he just does it :Koyukisweat: His reasoning being that only "real males" should have balls.
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

Wolpard wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:01 am
LIBRAKIND wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:11 pm Apologies for the double post but no one had replied since my remark and I just really want to ask this question. If there's a different way to ask without double posting while also letting people be notified, let me know :tfw_rigel1:

I dont believe there is a backstory to his technique, he just does it :Koyukisweat: His reasoning being that only "real males" should have balls.
That's terrifying :derpgin:
His reasoning makes sense in Ginga logic but that still seems like a hell of a gross extreme to get the point across :tfw_rigel1:
^click me!^
My Socials
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

I have a theory/headcanon that he has received some radiation poisoning, causing him severe mental health issues, one of them being this obsession with testicles, for it goes way beyond just that attack of his, even to the point of - but not limited to - kiiinda naming his two sons after his obsession (according to Ginga Wiki Tama and Kin combined means ''testicles'' in Japanese). He WAS born in Hiroshima after all... He's even named after it.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

Kaiken wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:43 am I have a theory/headcanon that he has received some radiation poisoning, causing him severe mental health issues, one of them being this obsession with testicles, for it goes way beyond just that attack of his, even to the point of - but not limited to - kiiinda naming his two sons after his obsession (according to Ginga Wiki Tama and Kin combined means ''testicles'' in Japanese). He WAS born in Hiroshima after all... He's even named after it.
Oh whoa, I didn't know that Kin and Tama meant that XD Hoo weee
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

Yeah kintama is literally a joke meaning testicles. Similar to people calling them balls or golden nuggets or jewels or whatever. Seriously.. there are wayyyy to many jokes and words for genitalia... XD
Gintama, the popular anime/manga series' name is also making a joke about balls. Kin means gold and gin, as many ginga fans know, means silver. They are written using different kanji but the joke is pretty damn obvious! Hahaha
Image Image
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

I didn't know that about his kids :derpgin:
But that theory could make sense, need some sort of explanation for his habits :tfw_rigel1:
^click me!^
My Socials
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

I don't know if someone already asked this question but I'll try.
In english translated 1-3, all pages are reversed, why? We can also see Smith switching his missing front leg and I never knew which leg was "really lost" :derpgin:
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Raki wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:25 pm I don't know if someone already asked this question but I'll try.
In english translated 1-3, all pages are reversed, why? We can also see Smith switching his missing front leg and I never knew which leg was "really lost" :derpgin:
Back when the GDW volumes were translated, it was fairly common practice for western publishers to flip manga horizontally so it could be read from left to right, like how books and comics are generally read in western countries.

Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Digsu wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:53 pm
Raki wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:25 pm I don't know if someone already asked this question but I'll try.
Back when the GDW volumes were translated, it was fairly common practice for western publishers to flip manga horizontally so it could be read from left to right, like how books and comics are generally read in western countries.
Not a good idea! :tfw_rigel2: It was just weird to read like that. Gin even had reversed scars :EMPTY:
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Lillknasen

Post by Lillknasen »

I've wondered for a while now.
How old are ben and the rest of the elders in the series. I would guess that gin is around 14 years but the other supporting charachters from GNG, how old are they :tfw_aokabuto2: :surprisegin:
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Lillknasen wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:13 pm I've wondered for a while now.
How old are ben and the rest of the elders in the series. I would guess that gin is around 14 years but the other supporting charachters from GNG, how old are they :surprisegin:
Gin was 1 year old by the time he got scars, and judging by the time passage probably 1.5 by the end of series. 14 years later his son is born and GDW starts.
Ben was probably around 22 years old during GDW, Kurotora must be 18-20, since Ben was already adult by the time he rescued him as puppy.
Favorites:
Lillknasen

Post by Lillknasen »

Kaiken wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:18 pm
Lillknasen wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:13 pm I've wondered for a while now.
How old are ben and the rest of the elders in the series. I would guess that gin is around 14 years but the other supporting charachters from GNG, how old are they :surprisegin:
Gin was 1 year old by the time he got scars, and judging by the time passage probably 1.5 by the end of series. 14 years later his son is born and GDW starts.
Ben was probably around 22 years old during GDW, Kurotora must be 18-20, since Ben was already adult by the time he rescued him as puppy.
Okey. Thankss! :surprisegin:
davidefenara

Post by davidefenara »

:tfw_bella2:
Hi I'm new here, I'm looking forward to starting GDW.
Have all chapters been translated so far?
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

davidefenara wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:33 pm :tfw_bella2:
Hi I'm new here, I'm looking forward to starting GDW.
Have all chapters been translated so far?
From what is up here
Kaibutsu arc is done
Hougen arc is mostly translated
Monkey and Russian arc is done
And Hybrid Bear arc is only like 3 chapters translated I think?

So mostly, but not fully
^click me!^
My Socials

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”