GDW General Questions Thread

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Re: GDW General Questions Thread

Post by fantachan »

Crystal wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:24 pm
Digsu wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 am Keep in mind, the Iga/Koga war isn't mentioned once in the anime, and having a furless, scarred dog showing up for like two scenes without anyone mentioning it would probably be pretty confusing to viewers not familiar with the manga, similar to how Bemu's appearance was never commented on in the GNG anime.

Actually, for all we know, the Iga/Koga war never even happened in the GDW anime universe, judging by this.

I've seen the GDW anime countless times and never caught this, wow! Can anyone confirm that this indeed what Tesshin said in the anime (ie; someone who knows Japanese better than me lmao)? I'm sure it is, but I just want to make sure given it's only natural for there to be mistranslated phrases when translating anything. Not that I really see the anime as canon specifically. I'm just curious.
After listening carefully, I can confirm that this is exactly what Tesshin said.
Crystal
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Crystal »

fantachan wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:38 pm After listening carefully, I can confirm that this is exactly what Tesshin said.
Thank you fantachan! :tesshin: You're the best!
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

This only made all the GNG viewers (aka most of GDW viewers) confused lol
icon by azzai
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Atha wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:23 am This only made all the GNG viewers (aka most of GDW viewers) confused lol
There was over a decade between GNG and GDW. I think it's reasonable to assume that both the manga and anime had a good number of new readers/viewers when they first came out in Japan.

blivery
Potential
Potential

Post by blivery »

What happened to Retsuga and Hyouma? They joined the Ouu army in the end of GNG but were never seen or even mentioned after that in GDW again. Nothing about wolfs was ever mentioned again in the ginga series. All the techiques has been forgotten too. Like nothing ever happened. Like noone ever practiced a battouga technique. Did yoshi just wanted to erase the wolf arc from the ginga story or whats the matter? That's really srange in my opinion
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

blivery wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:17 pm What happened to Retsuga and Hyouma? They joined the Ouu army in the end of GNG but were never seen or even mentioned after that in GDW again. Nothing about wolfs was ever mentioned again in the ginga series. All the techiques has been forgotten too. Like nothing ever happened. Like noone ever practiced a battouga technique. Did yoshi just wanted to erase the wolf arc from the ginga story or whats the matter? That's really srange in my opinion
While the wolf arc hasn't completely been erased from canon (Bemu and Bill are still dead and GNG-era characters mention the Ohu army's "two great wars" a few times), it's likely that Yoshi wanted to do his best to pretend it never happened since he's not that fond of the arc himself.

blivery
Potential
Potential

Post by blivery »

Digsu wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:25 pm
blivery wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:17 pm What happened to Retsuga and Hyouma? They joined the Ouu army in the end of GNG but were never seen or even mentioned after that in GDW again. Nothing about wolfs was ever mentioned again in the ginga series. All the techiques has been forgotten too. Like nothing ever happened. Like noone ever practiced a battouga technique. Did yoshi just wanted to erase the wolf arc from the ginga story or whats the matter? That's really srange in my opinion
While the wolf arc hasn't completely been erased from canon (Bemu and Bill are still dead and GNG-era characters mention the Ohu army's "two great wars" a few times), it's likely that Yoshi wanted to do his best to pretend it never happened since he's not that fond of the arc himself.
I see. Yoshi was always good in pretending like somethings never happened or someone was never there
nottvarg

Post by nottvarg »

This has probably been asked a million times before but is there a source for English translated GDW chapters after chapter 80? That's where the one I found stopped-- :derpgin:
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

nottvarg wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:50 pm This has probably been asked a million times before but is there a source for English translated GDW chapters after chapter 80? That's where the one I found stopped-- :derpgin:
Legend Reader currently goes up to chapter 103: https://www.gingaboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=18
nottvarg

Post by nottvarg »

Arano wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:42 pm
nottvarg wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:50 pm This has probably been asked a million times before but is there a source for English translated GDW chapters after chapter 80? That's where the one I found stopped-- :derpgin:
Legend Reader currently goes up to chapter 103: https://www.gingaboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=18
fabulous! thank you~
Koheijito

Post by Koheijito »

Whatever truly happens to Jerome in the anime? I know he survives in the Manga and goes on to have children but why does the anime suggest his death? And if they were to recap on that, how would they continue the plot of the story without Jerome?
Don’t let go, my arms are full and my burden heavy. I need to know that all of this is more than temporary.
Atha
Prodigy
Prodigy

Post by Atha »

I guess they allude that he's dead because it was more impactful to end the story that way. tbh in the manga his survival is very contrived, everyone mourns him, cries, howls, does the whole dead soldier goodbye thing... and then none of that matters because they simply took him to the Daisuke vet.

So I can see why they preferred to wrap up his arc in a more poignant way.
icon by azzai
Koheijito

Post by Koheijito »

Atha wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:02 pm I guess they allude that he's dead because it was more impactful to end the story that way. tbh in the manga his survival is very contrived, everyone mourns him, cries, howls, does the whole dead soldier goodbye thing... and then none of that matters because they simply took him to the Daisuke vet.

It definitely makes more sense to kill him off there, what kind of vet is in this manga, clearly he's a miracle worker haha
Don’t let go, my arms are full and my burden heavy. I need to know that all of this is more than temporary.
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Koheijito wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:03 pm
Atha wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:02 pm I guess they allude that he's dead because it was more impactful to end the story that way. tbh in the manga his survival is very contrived, everyone mourns him, cries, howls, does the whole dead soldier goodbye thing... and then none of that matters because they simply took him to the Daisuke vet.

It definitely makes more sense to kill him off there, what kind of vet is in this manga, clearly he's a miracle worker haha
It's even more crazy because in the manga, he basically died from being in freezing water, not even a dogpile of warmth worked, but gb running to Hidetoshi's house was enough time to save him .... though I like future Jerome scenes, I think him dying for Weed there makes a lot of sense.

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Koheijito wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:03 pm

The best part is that Hidetoshi isn't even a vet, he's a human doctor. The two are apparently completely interchangeable in the Gingaverse :surprisegin:

Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

Daisuke ex machina saving dogs since the begining of GDW. Weed was shot by like 40 bullets and then he's perfectly fine because Daisuke cures him :surprisegin:
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

In episode 1, 11:06, I noticed a really noisy, weird sound in background when GB and Sasuke talk. Before they hunted ducks.
I think it's really annoying, what about you? Do you know why they have it?
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

Koheijito wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:17 pm Whatever truly happens to Jerome in the anime? I know he survives in the Manga and goes on to have children but why does the anime suggest his death? And if they were to recap on that, how would they continue the plot of the story without Jerome?
I think that they left Jerome's death open in anime. Of course he is speaking about dying and everyone thought that he had died, but that pretty much happened in manga too: he made heroic speach, he fainted, Weed left to challenge Hougen thinking that Jerome died - but we all knew that he was just fine. Anime is just more dramatic as you really think that Jerome is dead.

The anime ending where you can see Jerome appears and dissappears also reminds of manga: after surviving Jerome didn't go and see Weed, but was avoiding him and they didn't meet until they found Yukimura and the monkeys.
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

Ceie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:35 pm In episode 1, 11:06, I noticed a really noisy, weird sound in background when GB and Sasuke talk. Before they hunted ducks.
To build tension, maybe? The only thing it's building is a headache. XD
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

fantachan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:12 pm
Ceie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:35 pm In episode 1, 11:06, I noticed a really noisy, weird sound in background when GB and Sasuke talk. Before they hunted ducks.
To build tension, maybe? The only thing it's building is a headache. XD
Indeed it's causing a headache hahahaha :P4:
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”