How Would You Fix Weed?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Re: How Would You Fix Weed?

Post by Phalene »

With an eraser :OUT:
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
SoullessDog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by SoullessDog »

Nuulo27 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:04 pm With an eraser :OUT:
Well, at least you're honest. Feel like giving your reasons, or could I find them in the Everything Bad About Weed topic?

-----
Banners and Sprites by GSDJohn

Photoshop Banner by Me

Multiversal Trio Art by Me
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

SoullessDog wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:10 pm
Well, at least you're honest. Feel like giving your reasons, or could I find them in the Everything Bad About Weed topic?
I'm being too negative here, but I do hate him a lot :tfw_rigel1: I do like how he has huge respect towards some of the characters, but I hate almost every decision he's made and how he deals with almost everything :D One of my least favorite characters
DweZie Hype

Post by DweZie Hype »

I would have GB resurrected
Tenrou24
Potential
Potential

Post by Tenrou24 »

I'm not very good at rewrites nor have I total finished reading GDW or GDWO, theres some things I think I would change.

Keep his young, naive attitude and total opposition to killing an enemy up until a certain point. Maybe when Jerome kills the spy. Then have Weed be angry and kick Jerome out, and have his followers be mad at him. During this arc Weed should be seriously considering his actions and how they are affecting his life/his leadership/his morals etc. Let him seek advice from people that are more experienced than him. Akame, Tesshin etc, all the old GNG Crew, maybe some strangers too. Then let him come to a point where hes faced in a similar situation, do you kill the enemy, or let him go? where he will live to strike again? Weed decides to kill them himself this time.

I think it would let Weed really look deep inside and serously consider his actions. Let him grow. He can still keep some level of "I won't kill you unless I absolutley have to" attitude.

Koyuki - Meeting his wife and falling in love is fine. But change how they meet becuase its very creepy. I just read Volume 36, and Gin tells the story of how he met Sakura, then we flip to the next chapter and Weed meets Koyuki the exact same way. She can still be stuck and need help, maybe she could be stuck in a ditch or a hole, or just be plain lost.
Theres nothing particularly wrong with the way she looks, there are white kishus out there, thats okay. But again in this context its weird.
Take out all mentions of Weed's Odepus complex. Take it out and don't put anything like that in ever again. Ew.

Rigel, Orion, Bellatrix, Sirius - Weed was a terrible father. Change his so that spends lots of quality time with his kids, so hes different from Riki and Gin. Gin wanted to spend time with Riki, but Riki was killed before he could do so. Gin wanted to send time with Weed and Sakura, and I think he planned to but he was delayed on his journey and Luci tricked Sakura into running away. Break the cycle with Weed and his kids. The eruption in GDWO can still happen, but show us Weed spending time with his kids.

Thats all I can think of right now, I'm mid lecture haha. Hope this is coehesive.
Ex-staff member of the now closed Silver Fang Fanhouse. If you want any old media from it, please send a pm.

DVT Survivor ♥

Typesetter for GDW Volumes 21-23 https://www.gingaboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=4869
Trout
Legend
Legend

Post by Trout »

Tenrou24 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:46 pm I'm not very good at rewrites nor have I total finished reading GDW or GDWO, theres some things I think I would change.

Keep his young, naive attitude and total opposition to killing an enemy up until a certain point. Maybe when Jerome kills the spy. Then have Weed be angry and kick Jerome out, and have his followers be mad at him. During this arc Weed should be seriously considering his actions and how they are affecting his life/his leadership/his morals etc. Let him seek advice from people that are more experienced than him. Akame, Tesshin etc, all the old GNG Crew, maybe some strangers too. Then let him come to a point where hes faced in a similar situation, do you kill the enemy, or let him go? where he will live to strike again? Weed decides to kill them himself this time.

I think it would let Weed really look deep inside and serously consider his actions. Let him grow. He can still keep some level of "I won't kill you unless I absolutley have to" attitude.

Koyuki - Meeting his wife and falling in love is fine. But change how they meet becuase its very creepy. I just read Volume 36, and Gin tells the story of how he met Sakura, then we flip to the next chapter and Weed meets Koyuki the exact same way. She can still be stuck and need help, maybe she could be stuck in a ditch or a hole, or just be plain lost.
Theres nothing particularly wrong with the way she looks, there are white kishus out there, thats okay. But again in this context its weird.
Take out all mentions of Weed's Odepus complex. Take it out and don't put anything like that in ever again. Ew.

Rigel, Orion, Bellatrix, Sirius - Weed was a terrible father. Change his so that spends lots of quality time with his kids, so hes different from Riki and Gin. Gin wanted to spend time with Riki, but Riki was killed before he could do so. Gin wanted to send time with Weed and Sakura, and I think he planned to but he was delayed on his journey and Luci tricked Sakura into running away. Break the cycle with Weed and his kids. The eruption in GDWO can still happen, but show us Weed spending time with his kids.

Thats all I can think of right now, I'm mid lecture haha. Hope this is coehesive.
I agree with all of this. I think the first point you make is important because it's something Ginga struggles to do as a whole which is effective character development. Weed never really progresses as a character in all of the volumes and it's cool and all to be nonviolent but when it is extreme and you are the leader of a large pack like he is, it just doesn't make a lot of sense that nothing changes much. I think the banishment of Jerome is a key moment where there was an opportunity for him to grow. But I do like to point out that a lot of characters around Weed kind of fuel his lack of growth. He's a kid and everyone around him is glowing about how great he is. A lot of people take this as a thing to hate Weed for. To me, this is just really bad mentoring and parenting because that's what Weed needs. If you tell someone that their actions are great and you do things like make them leader for not killing a notorious, evil dog it seems like it would be really odd to wonder why Weed doesn't change. Everyone says it is great. Would you change?
(Probably) GingaBoard's biggest Weed fan.
AlaskanGingaFan

Post by AlaskanGingaFan »

Nuulo27 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:23 pm
I'm being too negative here, but I do hate him a lot :tfw_rigel1: I do like how he has huge respect towards some of the characters, but I hate almost every decision he's made and how he deals with almost everything :D One of my least favorite characters
Oof ouch, ditto :orion3: I would just trade him in for a carbon copy of Gin. Gin was pretty much the perfect protagonist; fun, badass, but also savage and sometimes merciless. That is the ideal Ginga character.... Weed was in the wrong show. Also, god please, change his name, and also, just quit it with the other characters being all like: "Oh yeah, he's most definitely the leaders son..." it gets so old.
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

AlaskanGingaFan wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:25 am
Nuulo27 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Oof ouch, ditto :orion3: I would just trade him in for a carbon copy of Gin. Gin was pretty much the perfect protagonist; fun, badass, but also savage and sometimes merciless. That is the ideal Ginga character.... Weed was in the wrong show. Also, god please, change his name, and also, just quit it with the other characters being all like: "Oh yeah, he's most definitely the leaders son..." it gets so old.
THANK YOU!!! Yeah I love Gin because the things you mentioned. I don't get how Weed is always "definitely the leaders son" since they are so different when it comes to being a leader XD
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

I agree with a lot of things others have said about Weed here. Both good and bad. Even with that I really like him. I don't mind that Weed doesn't kill his enemies because most of them I think just don't need to be killed. But the main villains who we know don't change their ways is another thing. Not sure does Weed try to kill them in battle or not but he very much tried to kill Hougen with battouga. I think part of this is that the series is made in a way that Weed just can't kill and it's explained with not having enough power behind his attack or something else. The story should have allowed Weed to kill Hougen so we would have seen Weed really learning that not everyone changes themselves. Weed imo also is the worst Ou leader so far and is the only one who has ever exiled anyone. But with all of that Weed is still one of my favourites. Don't know why.

Edit: what it comes Weed being a bad father. Yeah.... Orion of course needed some discipline but not like that. Weed treats his kids the same way he would treat others and not like his kids and I think that's the problem. And now that his kids are grown up and one of them dead I don't see this aspect being focused anymore. Of course it would be nice to have Weed thinking his actions as a father more but we'll have to wait and see.

Another edit: In GDW (Hougen arc at least) Weed is still under one year old pup who was raised by his mother and I think Sakura clearly raised Weed to be kind to others. Would you kill your enemies in that situation? And what I said about Sirius in my opinion also applies to Weed: Weed sees that his way works. Weed was able to change Rocket and get Kyoshiro with them. Weed has seen success with it which is why Weed might see that it's worth to try it with everyone. Or so I think. But this being said when Weed encounters Sniper and then sees he isn't going to change and says to kill him Weed doesn't imply this experience to other villains when he sees they won't change themselfs. It makes Weed's realization that not everyone can be changed completly pointless. And what comes to bears the dogs view them as these huge monsters that can't be reasoned with. Unless you can talk with them...
Last edited by Jinto on Fri May 21, 2021 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
canisfamiliariz

Post by canisfamiliariz »

I'd make him more forgiving of his friends and children and less forgiving of villains. It's kinda weird to me how Weed got mad at Jerome for eliminating those dogs that could definitely be a threat to Weed's life but wanted to spare Hougen of all dogs
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

JazzyJazz wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:08 am even way back in early GDW him tossing GB into a ditch and yelling that he hates him for daring to say that he shouldn't be near a sick and dying dog.
As I haven't read GDW fully or from the start would you care to enlighten this for me?
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

Jinto wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:27 pm
JazzyJazz wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:08 am even way back in early GDW him tossing GB into a ditch and yelling that he hates him for daring to say that he shouldn't be near a sick and dying dog.
As I haven't read GDW fully or from the start would you care to enlighten this for me?
Way back in the beginning of the manga when it was just Weed and GB traveling, there’s a longer introductory arc for Mel that includes his mother, Lenny, who’s dying from some kind of sickness that I don’t remember the name off, but GB feared Weed would catch it. Keep in mind, this was right after Sakura’s death and Sakura asked GB to take the little blueberry turd to Ohu and protect him, which was what GB tried to do by telling Weed to stay away. And yeah, Lenny’s nice and all but GB has every right to not let what’s now his child catch a fatal disease that Lenny herself dies from. Weed then flips out like the deranged lunatic he is, tosses GB into a ditch, and then yells that he hates GB before running off. Again, this was the same shithead who, earlier, was crying and pleading for GB to stay with him after Sakura died.
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

I thought it had something to do with them meeting Lenny. Weed being kind hearted of course wanted to help in which I see nothing wrong but I do see that GB only wanted to make sure Weed is safe so it sounds Weed very much overreacts in this situation. Thank you for the explanation
Nerdykestrel74
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Nerdykestrel74 »

Just keep his character consistent. GDWO and TLW Weed feels like a completely different character than GDW Weed
Akakama my beloved <3 :akakama:
Suetic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suetic »

Lenny had a canine distemper virus. She probably got it from over-exerting herself while searching for Mel.

But back to main-topic: Weed... I would make him less a Marty Stu. He would have more time to struggle, develop his "main character" ego and learn from his mistakes. Also other characters wouldn't praise him as much as they do in canon. Just because he is supreme commander's son doesn't mean he too has to be worshipped like a dog deity right on the get go! He isn't anyhow special, just a weak little puppy and with little proof that he is a son of a legendary Gin. I would also give other characters time to doubt so Weed has to prove himself that he is in fact Gin's son not a random kid with wild imagination.

InstagramToyhou.seTumblrTwitter

⚡Avatar by Pikafuey.⚡
Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

AHH BUT I STILL LOVE THIS DOG
Anyway:

I would show him maturing a lot slower and more noticeable. A huge flaw of his is his neediness, best shown on his honeymoon with Koyuki. He was so in love with her and with being in peacetime he wouldn't listen to anyone (including her!) about the war in Hokkaido. It took several tries and an infuriated GB to spring Weed back into action. This could be a product of trauma, but in this instance, Weed did not have a leg to stand on!
I would have added a scene where Weed recalls how broken he was when John (best friend of his father) died-and contrast it with the news of Hakuro's death (best friend of his father as well!) to make it more clear to Weed that this is indeed serious.

Also, make it so Weed is less worshipped to begin with, I think that caused him a lot of ego issues-which caused Sirius' mindset (took what he thought were Weed's beliefs and ran with them blindly, ending up very twisted).

canisfamiliariz wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 am I'd make him more forgiving of his friends and children and less forgiving of villains. It's kinda weird to me how Weed got mad at Jerome for eliminating those dogs that could definitely be a threat to Weed's life but wanted to spare Hougen of all dogs
Agreed, though in the manga Jerome killed two nameless foxhound spies instead-that really puts me on Weed's side other than with the dobes in the anime. Weed tends to hold his friends at a much higher level than needed I think, he does self project his values on others. He needs to be fairer in that respect, less quick to judge.
Hougen being spared didn't bother me since that dog was done anyway. He was going to die of blood loss and brain damage, and Weed is just not a killer. Poor guy was traumatized and also bleeding very heavy, so Weed not doing the final blow makes sense to me.
Nate

Post by Nate »

JazzyJazz wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:17 am I'd erase him entirely, ngl. No point in salvaging garbage. Either that or portray him as the villain he is.
I think he is too selfish
Cubes

Post by Cubes »

I never read the manga, only seem the anime but I am looking to read the manga and gdwo but I don't think weed is bad at all in the anime. I can understand his behaviour as he is thrown into a lot of things as a young guy and now experienced.
ninehelios

Post by ninehelios »

I think he just needs to understand that there can be bad people and not everyone will think the way he does

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”