is smith transgender ?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Re: is smith transgender ?

Post by Spirit Tree »

A female voice actor did the voice of Smith in GNG. So that explains why he sounds like a girl when he’s still a male. I don’t like the voice being that way either. I don’t think he’s transgender because of the female-sounding voice.

It’s one of the reasons why I prefer the manga over the anime. But if there would ever be a GNG anime remake/reboot, I really hope Smith would have a much better voice. Let a male voice actor do the work.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Not canonically, but its a nice headcanon. I personally like the idea of trans Smith.
skinklegs
Friend
Friend

Post by skinklegs »

It's very common for young male characters to be voiced by women in anime, so I don't think the VA is really anything to go by. It's a fine headcanon though!
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

I'm not against the idea/theory, but the manga showed his private parts once or twice before so he's not ftm

ImageImage
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

I'm trans myself and even I don't think Smith is one, unless he's a closeted male-to-female trans (but this is Takahashi's character and he's definitely not known to be the most revolutionary in terms of gender stuff).
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

striker32 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:41 pm
Dragon wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:33 am I'm not against the idea/theory, but the manga showed his private parts once or twice before so he's not ftm
in what part ? or volume ? chapter ? i am asking too much questions :bon2:
When Smith and Gin runs away from Sniper after finding him killing Lloyd. When they fell down the waterfall and Gin threw Smith on the rock, Gin was like "oh Smith, you peed yourself!" and Smith was like "it's just water, idiot!" and his legs are spread for some reason and it shows his stuff.

ImageImage
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Yoshi really just loves drawing dog junk for comedic moments
Coconut-Tea

Post by Coconut-Tea »

Smith appears a lot transgender to me, especially in the manga - both GDW and GNG, and I like that a lot.
He has a both female and male appearance (in my point of view), and behaves in such a way too.
The GDW anime makes him appear very male, while in the manga he looks more female/male-ish, just as he did in GNG
I like the idea, and I liked Smith's voice actor in GNG too
MasterOfCider
Recruit
Recruit

Post by MasterOfCider »

While I think that would be a great way to add some diversity, we all know how traditional Yoshi is. Smith isn't trans, just a dude with a high-pitched voice.
"Satan takes me to the pasta."
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

MasterOfCider wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:18 am While I think that would be a great way to add some diversity, we all know how traditional Yoshi is. Smith isn't trans, just a dude with a high-pitched voice.
Oh yeah I mean it is for sure not canon. Yoshi is terrible with that. But again a nice headcanon. :EXCITE:
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

I hate the idea that the puppies are always voice acted by females, at least Gin should have had a muscular hard ass voice!

But Smith is too much fun to think about his gender, I think XD
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Nuulo27 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:47 pm I hate the idea that the puppies are always voice acted by females, at least Gin should have had a muscular hard ass voice!

But Smith is too much fun to think about his gender, I think XD
tbf most child characters are played by women in everything, with a few acceptions of actual young boys playing those roles (its not usually done because kids' voices change)
AlaskanGingaFan

Post by AlaskanGingaFan »

LOL yes!
Arctic Ranger
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Arctic Ranger »

I would definitely say that Smith is a bit woman-esque male in the anime, or at least comes off that way. Sort of the other side of the coin when compared to Cross, who's a female trying to fit in with a pack of males and her gender even comes off as a surprise to some (like the Kai brothers).
"Exceed the you from yesterday."
-Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Words to truly live by.
Fino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fino »

I always wondered about why people pinned Smith as transgender, because I never heard or saw anyone describe why. I might be the odd one out but I personally liked Smiths voice actor in GNG. I assume this choice was to make him sound young and a bit silly but I found it charming. So fans headcanon him as transgender because he had a female voice actor?
:bon3:
I actually don't mind the idea at all, I was just surprised the first time I saw it suggested. Of course it's not likely what Yoshihiro was aiming for but it seems to be a popular headcanon either way. I'm in favor of it personally.
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

Fino wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:17 pm I always wondered about why people pinned Smith as transgender, because I never heard or saw anyone describe why. I might be the odd one out but I personally liked Smiths voice actor in GNG. I assume this choice was to make him sound young and a bit silly but I found it charming. So fans headcanon him as transgender because he had a female voice actor?
:bon3:
I actually don't mind the idea at all, I was just surprised the first time I saw it suggested. Of course it's not likely what Yoshihiro was aiming for but it seems to be a popular headcanon either way. I'm in favor of it personally.
Yeah, I believe it is mainly due to his VA. A lot of fans misinterpreted him as female when they were younger as well.
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

I don't think he's trans just because his voice actress is female. I think this choice was made because they wanted to make him more youthful (but also more mature than Gin) and funnier sounding than the others and this fits well with his comedic personality. Instead, I wondered if he might be secretly gay (even though he denied this in the manga). His feelings for Cross were clear yes, but somehow I see him more as gay than trans. Or more like bi. What do you think?
Ginga forever! <3
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

I think it’s a nice headcanon. I can’t imagine the dogs of Ou being particularly homophobic or transphobic, it would seem silly to deny another male dog among their ranks when they desperately needed him. Among the bigotries their societies appear to skew xenophobic (as they are suspicious and often hostile towards non-Ou dogs).
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Fun fact, in Russian dub Smith was initially assumed to be female by the translators because of his feminine voice in the anime. In later episodes they started translating him as male, but this made me really confused when i was a kid and placed similar thoughts in my head :tfw_rigel1: But the manga clears it all, he's definitely not transgender, and probably none of Takahashi's characters is or ever will be. Still, nice headcanon! Personally, i like to think of Smith as a cisgender male yet feminine character, so imo the GNG anime voice suits him well.
Last edited by Smoker on Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Astor
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Astor »

Trans Smith is my favourite Ginga headcanon 🥰

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”