Other Translations

General discussion of topics that encompass more than one of Yoshihiro Takahashi's series, as well as topics relating to Takahashi himself.
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Other Translations

Post by Regnant »

Had this topic on the old board, but I figured I'd write it out again! I did some research into other translations of Takahashi's works (non-Nordic ones) and here's what I found was official. If anyone finds anything else or any problems with any information stated here, please let me know! I want to be as accurate as possible :D

Chinese
The main thing you want to look for to determine if a Chinese publication is official is if it was published by Tong Li after 1992. Before 1992, Tong Li did publish bootlegs, but then the Taiwanese laws changed and they switched to being official. They've definitely published the most of Takahashi's works of any non-Japanese/Nordic publishers.

GNG, GDW, BnF, FANG, Lassie, and Survival in the Solitary Island
Image Image Image Image Image Image

JUST DISCOVERED! Official GDW Dubs!

Korean
There are a lot of Korean bootlegs, but after checking a few articles, sources, and talking with some people who know the real vs bootleg publishers, I was able to find some official Korean publications.

GNG (3rd edition covers), GDW, GDWO (incomplete, vol 1-5 only)
Image Image Image

The GNG anime got some official releases too with a uncut dub. I'm not sure how GNG made it past the Korean block of Japanese anime, but I've been assured that it was shown on TV and was official.

VHS (1987) and DVD
Image Image

VHS (1990s) rerelease with Gin overload
Image Image

Thai
Oh boy this took a while to find anything at all that's official. Thailand doesn't care about bootlegs at all, and basically everything is bootleg. The main Ginga bootleg publisher is New Project. Because there was already a bootleg of everything (even SSY and Gamu) I guess the official publishers decided to not even try to compete. But one lonely manga made it through! If anyone comes across another Thai manga published by Siam Inter, let me know! I looked through hundreds of various covers and only found this one series by this lonely official publisher.

BnF

Hungarian
Figured I should mention this one since it's still not Japanese or Nordic. Styled off of the Nordic covers, it had a VHS and DVD release (cut, dubbed). The Hungarian dub does show up on a few of the Swedish DVDs too.

Last edited by Regnant on Wed May 16, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Tora
Legend
Legend

Re: Other Translations

Post by Tora »

I really LOVE seeing this!

And with the Hungary took from Sweden (just like the other Nordic lol) dub and dubbed and translated over that. Most fun thing about the Hungarian dub, is that they have Swedish voice-sounds in some places. It's hilarious. XD
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Tora wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:43 pm And with the Hungary took from Sweden (just like the other Nordic lol) dub and dubbed and translated over that. Most fun thing about the Hungarian dub, is that they have Swedish voice-sounds in some places. It's hilarious. XD
It sounds like Hungary also took the Alaska vs Japan thing too like in the Swedish
Image Image
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Regnant wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:57 pm
Tora wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:43 pm And with the Hungary took from Sweden (just like the other Nordic lol) dub and dubbed and translated over that. Most fun thing about the Hungarian dub, is that they have Swedish voice-sounds in some places. It's hilarious. XD
It sounds like Hungary also took the Alaska vs Japan thing too like in the Swedish
Like the others as well. XD
I still wonder why they choosed to say Alaska on the back on where it took place. XD

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Tora wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:12 pm
I still wonder why they choosed to say Alaska on the back on where it took place. XD
Are any other location names changes? Like I know how Shikoku, Kyushu, and Mutsu are directly stated, are those kept the same? Because I know those don't exist in Alaska haha
Image Image
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

I think I just found official GDW Chinese anime! I need to double check on the publishing company, but I think we actually have official Chinese Dubs of GDW

The company: https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%BE%A4 ... 1%E7%A4%BE
Image Image
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Regnant wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Are any other location names changes? Like I know how Shikoku, Kyushu, and Mutsu are directly stated, are those kept the same? Because I know those don't exist in Alaska haha
Alaska only stands on the back (later corrected on DVDs). In the dub itself, they say Kofu (sounds like Koho), Kai, Mie (sounds like Mee), Shikoku (sounds like Shokoko), haha. Akakabuto is also spelled Akaka Booto on the back lol

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Regnant wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Assuming it's the same as in the Finnish dub, and it probably is because it's based on the Swedish one, at least Shikoku gets name-dropped and in general there are no mentions of Alaska in the episodes themselves. However, Kyushu is not mentioned thanks to the episodes concerning it getting dropped from the dubbed versions and, for some reason, the ninja dogs are vaguely just referred to as strong dogs or even fighting dogs instead of ninjas, though the clans are still called Iga and Koga.

Interestingly, the bear antagonists erroneously being called grizzly bears even snuck onto the back cover blurbs of the uncut, subbed DVDs :surprisegin:

Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

Regnant wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:02 pm I think I just found official GDW Chinese anime! I need to double check on the publishing company, but I think we actually have official Chinese Dubs of GDW

That boxart is flippin' sweet! I had no idea there was a Chinese dub for the GDW anime.
GingaBoard's Resident Lloyd Fan
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Tikikata wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:07 pm
Regnant wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:02 pm I think I just found official GDW Chinese anime! I need to double check on the publishing company, but I think we actually have official Chinese Dubs of GDW

That boxart is flippin' sweet! I had no idea there was a Chinese dub for the GDW anime.
Just triple checked the company and it is official!!! There are official Chinese GDW dubs :D
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... hp?id=7272
No GNG at all, but GDW yes! Now to make sure the box art matches up with the company and find all the different DVDs.
Image Image
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Regnant wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:12 pm

Just triple checked the company and it is official!!! There are official Chinese GDW dubs :D
No GNG at all, but GDW yes! Now to make sure the box art matches up with the company and find all the different DVDs.
I want to hear the dub!! There exist another GDW dub exept Danish!

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Tora wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:45 pm
Regnant wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:12 pm
I want to hear the dub!! There exist another GDW dub exept Danish!
銀牙傳說WEED is the Chinese title. I'm going to search for videos when I get home :D

Good images of the covers now up: https://gingamerch.com/item/?itemid=482
In the background there's a sort of collage of screenshots from the episodes on that disc! It's really freakin cool!
Image Image
Bolty
Potential
Potential

Post by Bolty »

Found all the episodes in Chinese! You're welcome :D
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av6152829/
(Finally a more "male" voice for Weed)

:akatora: :ben: :benizakura: :gb: :gin: :kurotora: :jerome: :gdwjohn: :riki: :tesshin: :toube:
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Bolty wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:40 pm Found all the episodes in Chinese! You're welcome :D
YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!
But... Danish has a male voice for Weed XD

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

Bolty wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:40 pm Found all the episodes in Chinese! You're welcome :D
Absolutely incredible! Great find!! This is pretty decent! <3
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Is the site with the Chinese episodes trustworthy? :0 I haven't clicked on it yet simply because I'm wary of sites that have anime videos for free etc. 🤔
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Kin banner by Sandatora
fantachan
Translator
Translator

Post by fantachan »

A long time ago, I saw some official (I use that term very loosely) Thai dubs of GDW. They were absolutely horrible. XD

After doing some looking, I finally found them again. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc876F ... nnA/videos
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

fantachan wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:18 am A long time ago, I saw some official (I use that term very loosely) Thai dubs of GDW. They were absolutely horrible. XD

After doing some looking, I finally found them again. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc876F ... nnA/videos
Now this, is gonna be my listening too at work XD

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

fantachan wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:18 am A long time ago, I saw some official (I use that term very loosely) Thai dubs of GDW. They were absolutely horrible. XD

:surprisegin:

I am watching the crap out of these tonight.
This is that infamous "wed" dub... ooohohoho, I love this so much. XD

Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Oh my gosh I had forgotten about these!!! And as far as I can tell there was no official Thai dub of GNG and GDW... so some odd fan-ish dub? I have no idea but they are hilarious!
Image Image

Return to “General Talk About Takahashi's Works”