List of GDW animation directors

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Digsu
Legend
Legend

List of GDW animation directors

Post by Digsu »

Please note that I couldn't find what kanji readings some of the names so they may incorrect. Please correct me if I got some of them wrong.

Some of the episodes clearly have scenes that are done in someone else's style (eg. episode 26 clearly has Endo's alligator muzzles show up in a few shots), but none of them (aside from episode 15) credit more than one animation director so I don't know what's up with that.

Shinobu Nishioka(西岡 忍): episodes 1 and 26

Takehiro Nakayama(中山 岳洋): episodes 2, 8, 13, 18, and 24

Akira Takeuchi(武内 啓): episodes 3 (w/ Isamu Utsuki), 7, and 15 (with Isamu Utsuki)

Isamu Utsuki( 宇都木 勇): episodes 3 (w/ Akira Takeuchi), 11, 15 (with Akira Takeuchi), and 23

Shinichiro Minami(南 伸一郎): episodes 4, 9, 14, 20, and 25

Tadashi Sakazaki(坂崎 忠) and Chuji Nakajima(なかじま ちゅうじ): episode 5

Masaru Yamada(山田 勝): episodes 6 and 10

Eikichi Takahashi(高橋 英吉): episodes 12, 17, and 22

Haruya Satoshi(智 東哉): episode 19

Eiichi Endo(遠藤 栄一): episodes 16 and 21
Last edited by Digsu on Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Regnant
Technician
Technician

Re: List of GDW animation directors

Post by Regnant »

Shinobu Nishioka stole all the budget XD
Image Image
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Regnant wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:28 pm Shinobu Nishioka stole all the budget XD
Personally, I'd guess that Sakazaki and Nakajima were given like half the entire show's budget for episode 5. Possibly because Studio Deen really needed some nice footage to use in the TV spot, which just happens to only use footage from episodes 1 and 5.

Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Digsu wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:07 pm
Regnant wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:28 pm Shinobu Nishioka stole all the budget XD
Personally, I'd guess that Sakazaki and Nakajima were given like half the entire show's budget for episode 5. Possibly because Studio Deen really needed some nice footage to use in the TV spot, which just happens to only use footage from episodes 1 and 5.
Yep, definitely episode 1, 5, and 26 had the most budget and spent the most time. I mostly refer to 1 and 26 as having the most budget since there's a lot more detail in terms of lineart and shading compared to other episodes. 5 is still high up there with lineart and also tweening. The rest were all left with scraps haha
Image Image
YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

Digsu wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:26 pmImage
I don't think that first Weed (up left) isn't a very good example of this person's style. If anything, I'd say that was drawn by Masaru Yamada as the first half of that episode looks like animated by him (after the eyecatch/halfway point the style clearly changes to Endo).
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Doragon wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:44 pm
Digsu wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:26 pmImage
I don't think that first Weed (up left) isn't a very good example of this person's style. If anything, I'd say that was drawn by Masaru Yamada as the first half of that episode looks like animated by him (after the eyecatch/halfway point the style clearly changes to Endo).
Fixed. I originally made this list, and the accompanying images, a few years ago, before I realized the whole "other styles making occasional cameos" thing happening in the episodes.

It also doesn't help that some of the animation directors' styles genuinely do change at times, which is probably the most notable in episode 21 looking far less terrible than Takehiro Nakayama's other episodes.

YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

^Also in the Shinichiro Minami sheet's bottom right John - that definitely isn't drawn by them either.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Adore this! Thank you so much for putting it back up. ^^
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

They honestly should have just fired everyone except Tadashi Sakazaki and Chuji Nakajima and had them make ALL the episodes and not just episode 5.

YamaDora
Comrade
Comrade

Post by YamaDora »

FDQ wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:02 pm They honestly should have just fired everyone except Tadashi Sakazaki and Chuji Nakajima and had them make ALL the episodes and not just episode 5.
Eh, I think Eikichi Takahashi's animation is better than everyone else's (well, expect Sakazaki and Nakajima) so they also could stay. Masaru Yamada has pretty good standard Ginga style too, if they had animated more than just two episodes then GDW anime wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Doragon wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:57 pm ^Also in the Shinichiro Minami sheet's bottom right John - that definitely isn't drawn by them either.
Fixed!
FDQ wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:02 pm They honestly should have just fired everyone except Tadashi Sakazaki and Chuji Nakajima and had them make ALL the episodes and not just episode 5.
Personally, I feel like everyone's style is at least passable... except for Nakayama. So many rubber dogs with horse mouths :derpgin:

Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

I personally feel like episodes 1 and 26 had the most beautiful animation, but episode 5 stayed the closest to true Ginga style. I don't know what happened with episode 2, but please, I would love to sit down and have a coffee with this director so I can ask what in the heck happened, lol.

...in all seriousness, though, it's surprising to see how many animation directors there were for this series and how inconsistent their styles were. You would think they would have checked on each other to see how everyone was doing? Still enjoy the anime, but geez, haha. <3
GingaBoard's Resident Lloyd Fan
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

For me, I simply can't stand ep 26. Ep 1 was okay, but 26... I have so hard to watch it even. XD XD

Episode 5 is obviosly number 1, but runners up are Masaru Yamada(山田 勝) with episodes 6 and 10, and Eikichi Takahashi(高橋 英吉) with episodes 12, 17, and 22.

But Takehiro Nakayama(中山 岳洋) with episodes 2, 8, 13, 18, and 24... Like what even? XD
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Troll Berserker
Hero
Hero

Post by Troll Berserker »

Like I said in the old board, episode 21 looks like it was done by two different people. the best style (Masaru Yamada) for the first half and dinosaur dogs (Eiichi Endo) for the second half.
Also Eiichi Endo's style seems to appear in some other episodes, mostly in heavy storms where characters are barely visible. You can even see it in ep. 26.
As for Shinobu Nishioka - I like his style in ep 1 very much, there are many realistic bits in dog's movement that are later gone completely. But ep 26 looks so overdone with the stylization. Dem Thicc Necks :OUT:
Last edited by Troll Berserker on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Jinputi banwagon. All characters (c) to me
Bolty
Potential
Potential

Post by Bolty »

Nishioka, Sakazaki/Nakajima, Takahashi and Endo are my top picks

:akatora: :ben: :benizakura: :gb: :gin: :kurotora: :jerome: :gdwjohn: :riki: :tesshin: :toube:
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

Masaru Yamada (episodes 6, 10, first half of 21) is my favourite.
I like the directors for episode 5 next, although the style is not as close to true Ginga style as the above.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

It's hard to choose a favourite XD maybe for me it's Eikichi Takahashi?

I used to really like Shinobu Nishioka's episode 1 and 26, but with time the distracting "pretty" style has worn off and it doesn't feel like Ginga to me, like the artist wanted to make it more aesthetically pretty than Ginga style?? I prefer the few times when it looks like proper Ginga style, for example the Akame in my icon is one of my favourite drawings in the show (not because it's Akame) cos doesn't it look just like the manga style?
avatar drawn by my friend YerLakar on twitter
sorry for my infrequent visits! am working on it

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”